PLA (Public Library Association) Division
Do it for the library community!
Please nominate any great programs that haven't yet received recognition so that other libraries can learn about them. Honor a valued staff member! Do it for others!
The awards come with some lovely perks too, so do it for yourself/your library!
2015 Service Awards and Grants
Allie Beth Martin Award
Honors a librarian who, in a public library setting, has demonstrated extraordinary range and depth of knowledge about books or other library materials and has distinguished ability to share that knowledge. A plaque and a $3,000 honorarium are presented annually at the ALA Annual Conference. Established in 1977 in honor of Allie Beth Martin. Sponsored by Baker & Taylor.
Baker & Taylor Entertainment Audio Music / Video Product Award
Designed to provide a public library the opportunity to build or expand a collection of either or both formats in whatever proportion the library chooses. The grant consists of $2,500 of Audio Music or Video Products. Sponsored by Baker & Taylor.
Charlie Robinson Award
Honors a public library director who, over a period of seven (7) years, has been a risk taker, an innovator and/or a change agent in a public library. The recipient should have been active in national and other professional associations and be known for developing and implementing programs which are responsive to the needs of community residents. The award consists of $1,000 and a gift. The public library director will be honored at the ALA Annual Conference. Established in 1997. Sponsored by the Baker & Taylor.
Demco New Leaders Travel Grant
Designed to enhance the professional development and improve the expertise of public librarians new to the field by making possible their attendance at major professional development activities. Plaques and travel grants of up to $1,500 per applicant are presented annually at the ALA Annual Conference. Established in 1993. The name of this grant was changed in October 2004. This grant is sponsored by Demco, Inc.
EBSCO Excellence in Small and/or Rural Public Library Service Award
Honors a public library serving a population of 10,000 or less that demonstrates excellence of service to its community as exemplified by an overall service program or a special program of significant accomplishment. A plaque and a $1,000 honorarium are presented annually at the ALA Annual Conference. Established in 1991. Sponsored by EBSCO Information Services.
Gordon M. Conable Award
Honors a public library staff member, a library trustee, or a public library, that has demonstrated a commitment to intellectual freedom and the Library Bill of Rights. The award consists of $1,500 and a plaque to be presented annually at the ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored by LSSI.
John Iliff Award
Honors the life and accomplishments of John Iliff, early adopter and champion of technology in public libraries, and recognizes the contributions of a library worker, librarian, or library that has used technology and innovative thinking as a tool to improve services to public library users. The award provides a $1,000 honorarium, a plaque and a bouquet of roses for the workplace. Sponsored by Innovative.
Romance Writers of America Library Grant
Designed to provide a public library the opportunity to build or expand its romance fiction collection and/or host romance fiction programming. The grant consists of $4,500 to be used toward the purchase of books in print and/or audio format, author honorariums and travel expenses, and other applicable program expenses. Sponsored by the Romance Writers of America.
Upstart Innovation Award
Recognizes a public library’s innovative and creative service program to the community. A plaque and a $2,000 honorarium are presented annually at the ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored by Upstart, a Demco company.
Public Libraries Feature Article Contest
Awards cash prizes to the authors of the best feature articles written by public librarians and published in the previous year’s issues of Public Libraries magazine.
If your organization is interested in sponsoring a PLA award or if you have any questions regarding awards, please contact Julianna Kloeppel, program coordinator, at 312-280-5026 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Tuesday, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced that the agency will continue to deliver 1040 EZ forms to public libraries that are participating in the Tax Forms Outlet Program (TFOP). TFOP offers tax products to the American public primarily through participating libraries and post offices. The IRS will distribute new order forms to participating libraries in the next two to three weeks.
Public library leaders will have the opportunity to discuss the management and effectiveness of the Tax Forms Outlet Program with leaders from the IRS during the 2015 American Library Association Midwinter Meeting session “Tell the IRS: Tax Forms in the Library.” The session takes place on Sunday, February 1, 2015.
- ALSC/PLA Every Child Ready to Read Oversight Committee
- PLA (Charlie) Robinson Award Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA (Gordon M.) Conable Award Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA Allie Beth Martin Award Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA Annual Conference Program Subcommittee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Baker & Taylor Entertainment Audio Music/Video Product Award Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA Board of Directors (Public Library Association)
- PLA Budget & Finance (Public Library Association)
- PLA Committee Chairs (Public Library Association)
- PLA Continuing Education Advisory Group
- PLA DEMCO New Leaders Travel Grant Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA EBSCO Excellence in Small and/or Rural Public Library Service Award (Public Library Association)
- PLA Intellectual Freedom Committee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Leadership Development Committee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Legislation and Advocacy Committee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Membership Advisory Group (Public Library Association)
- PLA Performance Measurement Task Force (PLA)
- PLA PLDS Statistical Report Advisory (Public Library Association)
- PLA John Iliff Award Jury (Public Library Association)
- PLA Public Libraries Advisory Committee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Representatives and Liaisons
- PLA Romance Writers of America Library Grant Jury
- PLA Technology Committee (Public Library Association)
- PLA Upstart Innovation Award Jury (Public Library Association)
Can you give me the word count for each of the sections for the Upstart Innovation Award? I cannot find anything specific online.
Here are the sections:
- One paragraph summary
- Library’s innovative achievement
- Why is this project innovative
The programmer doesn’t have a word count limit. Or from what he said, no one should reach it. However, to hold the interest of the reviewers, I would recommend under 350 words for each because they review online.
Please take advantage of the upload area to show photos, brochures, newsletter or newspaper pages and remember to explain on the upload or in the application what the uploaded material is (if it isn’t apparent) or why it’s important.
Thanks and good luck!