Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Meeting: Thursday 8/21 2-3pm CDT

by Elizabeth German on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm
in RUSA Publications and Communications (Reference and User Services Association)

Hi all, 

Attached is the agenda for the Thursday meeting. Sorry it is going out so late. The majority of the discussion will be moving forward with the publications review. 

The link to access this meeting is http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r2rnf7zswjj/ . Please choose the guest option and enter your name.

The teleconference number is 1-866-718-7314 Participant Code: 91920045#. 

Thanks,

Beth


RUSA Publications and Communications Committee:

Hi all, 

Attached is the agenda for the Thursday meeting. Sorry it is going out so late. The majority of the discussion will be moving forward with the publications review. 

The link to access this meeting is http://ala.adobeconnect.com/r2rnf7zswjj/ . Please choose the guest option and enter your name.

The teleconference number is 1-866-718-7314 Participant Code: 91920045#. 

Thanks,

Beth


RUSA Publications and Communications Committee:

Aug 21, 2014 2-3 pm CDT

Conference Call Agenda

  • Announcements/Nesting (5 min)
    • Designate note taker
    • Liaisons Updates (anything the committee should know that your sections are working on)
    • RUSA Updates (anything from the board or RUSA office that the committee should be aware of)
    • Project updates
      • Emerging leaders – Board approved ; submitted to emerging leaders (deadline is October 3rd)
      • Blog Update
        • Midyette and Tidal accepted
        • Conference call scheduled for Friday August, 22nd

 

 

  • Presentation and Feedback: Web Review Task Force (10 min)

 

 

  • Discussion: Publication Review (45 min)
    • How to move forward?
    • What are the goals?
    • What are the deliverables?

 

Next Meeting: September 18, 2014 2-3pm CDT

More...

Event DLS Discussion Group Committee Meeting

by Jill Hallam-Miller on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 08:02 am
in ACRL DLS (Distance Learning Section)

The DLS Discussion Group committee will meet virtually on September 11th from 12:00 PM to approximately 1:00 PM (Eastern time).

Please join the meeting at http://centralpenn.adobeconnect.com/dls-dg/

You can enter the virtual meeting room any time prior to the meeting to test your system and microphone. If you do not have a microphone, you can participate using the chat feature. Please be sure to have headphones/speakers.

Guests are welcome.

The DLS Discussion Group committee will meet virtually on September 11th from 12:00 PM to approximately 1:00 PM (Eastern time).

Please join the meeting at http://centralpenn.adobeconnect.com/dls-dg/

You can enter the virtual meeting room any time prior to the meeting to test your system and microphone. If you do not have a microphone, you can participate using the chat feature. Please be sure to have headphones/speakers.

Guests are welcome.

Contact meeting facilitator Jill Hallam-Miller with questions.
Email: jillhallam-miller@centralpenn.edu
Phone: 717-728-2415

More...

Discussion Questions of a New Librarian

by Allison Moote on Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 06:42 pm
in AASL (The American Association of School Librarians)

I am a fairly new librarian. I was hired last year so this will be my second year on the job. I work in a very small, rural school system and we faced some brutal budget cuts last year. We are a Pre-K - 12 school and we run on a skeleton crew as it is, but we lost all 3 of our teaching assistants and our art teacher position at the end of last year. Now that this year is beginning they have made library one of our "specials" to replace art. Instead of seeing the elementary classes once a week as it has been in the past, I am now supposed to see them every day.

I am a fairly new librarian. I was hired last year so this will be my second year on the job. I work in a very small, rural school system and we faced some brutal budget cuts last year. We are a Pre-K - 12 school and we run on a skeleton crew as it is, but we lost all 3 of our teaching assistants and our art teacher position at the end of last year. Now that this year is beginning they have made library one of our "specials" to replace art. Instead of seeing the elementary classes once a week as it has been in the past, I am now supposed to see them every day. I am trying to think outside of the box and think of what kind of daily class I can turn library into. I have 45 minutes with classes ranging from Pre-K to 7th grade. Does anyone have any suggestions?

More...

Event Business Reference Sources Committee Publishers' Forum (RUSA_BRASS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 07:37 pm
in RUSA BRASS (Business Reference and Services Section)

"Hitting the Jackpot—Sources for Local and Regional Business Information”: The hardest facts to find are about something in your own backyard. Reliable and accurate local business information and data is often quite challenging to track down.

"Hitting the Jackpot—Sources for Local and Regional Business Information”: The hardest facts to find are about something in your own backyard. Reliable and accurate local business information and data is often quite challenging to track down. Representatives from a variety of providers including Euromonitor Passport Cities (localized city economic profiles, analysis on consumers); Alteryx Demographics Now (US Census data); Proquest ABI Inform (local/regional business news) and Data Planet (US State statistical datasets) will demonstrate what they have to offer for these specific data needs. Come prepared to ask your own local questions as well.

More information about this conference session

More...

Discussion Update on Conference Calls

by Ann Symons on Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:41 pm
in GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Conference Call Update:

I am currently working with the survey that Melody conducted about meeting times for conference calls.

The second Wednesday of the month will be the preferred date.   

We will not have a conference call on August 13th as we will have to have a conference call before September   10th.

The likely date will be Wednesday, August 27th, time TBD.

We will have our regular agenda items and then go into Executive Session to discuss the Emerging Leader applicants. 

Online Doc Questions to ask on the survey

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:59 pm
in ALA Connect Survey Subcommittee

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny


  1. What do you like best about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  2. Which features are most valuable to you?
    [Comment box]
  3. What do you find most frustrating about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  4. The thing I find most confusing about Connect is:
    [Comment box]
  5. If you could change one thing about Connect what would it be and how would you change it?
    [Comment box]
  6. What was the reason for your most recent visit to Connect?
    [Comment box]
  7. Were you able to do what you needed to do on that visit? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  8. Which tools do you use the most on the site? [Checkboxes]
    Calendar Events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussions
    Files
    Follow groups I'm not part of
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  9. Please rate the usefulness of the following features on Connect [Matrix]
    Extremely useful
    Very useful
    Moderately useful
    Slightly useful
    Not at all useful
    Haven't used this feature

    Calendar events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussion forums - committees, divisions, round tables
    Discussion forums - communities
    Email notifications of new content
    Group subject headings
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Uploading files
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:

  10. I'm able to find my groups easily [Agree - Disagree scale]
  11. I'm able to post content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  12. I can find content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  13. The site's navigation makes sense to me | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  14. Connect has helped my group do more work virtually than it used to do. | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  15. I've found useful information on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  16. I've read interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  17. I've participated in interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  18. How often do you use Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Daily - Weekly - Monthly - Quarterly - Annually - When I need to - Never
  19. How long have you been using Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Less than 1 year - 1-3 years - More than 3 years
  20. How visually appealing is the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    Extremely appealing
    Quite appealing
    Moderately appealing
    Slightly appealing
    Not at all appealing
  21. When using Connect, how often do you find the information that you're looking for? [Radio buttons]
    Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  22. How much do you trust the security of the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    A great deal of trust
    A lot of trust
    A moderate amount of trust
    A little trust
    No trust at all
  23. What would cause you to use the Connect website more frequently? [Checkboxes]
    I need to understand more about Connect.
    I feel like I need training on how to use Connect.
    If I received email reminders about it from time to time.
    More content available in Connect
    If other members also used it more frequently.
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  24. What is your preferred way to learn about new features in Connect? [Checkboxes]
    Announcement on the site
    Email
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  25. Have the help documents on the site answered a question you had or helped you resolve an issue? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the help documents
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  26. Have you used the contact form on the site and received a satisfactory response/resolution? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the contact form
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  27. Do you have any other suggestions to improve Connect that you haven't already mentioned?
    [Comment box]
  28. Are you a member of ALA? [Radio buttons]
    Yes - No
  29. If yes, which divisions/round tables are you a member of? [Checkboxes]
    Full list
  30. Please provide your name and email address if you'd like us to follow up with you about your comments or suggestions. [Input boxes]

 

More...

File Virtual-Meeting-Minutes_18Aug14

by Sandra Hawes on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 05:35 pm
in ACRL DLS (Distance Learning Section)

DOCX File, 15.56 KB

Pages