Core Library Storage Interest Group

View Only
last person joined: one month ago 

✉ Send an email to ALA-CoreLibraryStorage@ConnectedCommunity.org to start a discussion or share a file.

About this Group

👐 Anyone can view all content in the group, but only people who join it can post to it. Anyone can join to participate.

Purpose: Provides a forum for exchanging ideas on the planning, design, development, operation, management, and/or dismantling of library collection storage.

Related Groups:

This interest group is part of Core's Buildings and Operations Section.

Portraits of three Core members with caption Become a Member: Find Your Home: Core.

• 1.  various storage topics for Fall 2023

Posted Oct 03, 2023 01:07 PM

Dear CORE Library storage List serv members,

Good afternoon. Hope all is well with you.   We have some updates, comments and questions for you.  Amy Boucher and I, as the co-chairs for the ALA CORE Library storage interest group, met recently to start thinking about future plans for the group. We have been thinking about sending a "how do you deal with X at your facility "message to the list serv every month trying to promote discussion.  We would love some ideas for monthly questions from you. Feel free to respond to us directly with ideas!

Does anyone on this list attend the CORE Forum or the LibLearnX conference?  If so, is there an audience for storage topics at either event?  

And finally, would there be any interest in attending an in person field trip to a library storage facility in San Diego, during the Annual meeting in 2024? If so, please let Amy and I know so we can think about logistics. Date of the tour would probably be on Thursday the 27th of June.

Best,

Cathy and Amy

Cathy Martyniak

Chief, Collections Management Division

The Library of Congress

• 2.  RE: various storage topics for Fall 2023

Posted Oct 03, 2023 01:47 PM

Hi Cathy,

I love the idea of a monthly discussion topic. What about a topic on shared storage for campus collections? Is this a thing? How do universities/libraries deal with climate/access issues if anthropology collections are stored with archival and circulating book collections?

I would be very interested in visiting a library storage facility in San Diego next summer.

Thank you,

Jill

Jill MK Friedmann

Assistant Dean

Cline Library

o: 928.523.3253 | c: 928.600.9131

Pronouns: she, her

1001 S. Knoles Dr

Flagstaff, AZ 86011

USA

Northern Arizona University sits at the base of the San Francisco Peaks, on homelands sacred to Native Americans throughout the region. We honor their past, present, and future generations, who have lived here for millennia and will forever call this place home. 

• 3.  RE: various storage topics for Fall 2023

Posted Oct 04, 2023 01:18 PM
    Hi, all. 

I'm definitely interested in a tour in San Diego. I'll also be at LibLearnX and if there's anywhere in the greater Baltimore area that is interested in hosting a tour, you can count me in. 

Thanks!
    Renna

Renna T. Redd (she/her/hers) Clemson University

Associate Librarian, Collections Sharing and Delivery

Interim Collection Development and Management Coordinator

University Libraries | R.M. Cooper Library

864-656-5177 | rennar@clemson.edu

OCLC Symbol: SEA

Traditional Cherokee Lands | Site of Fort Hill Plantation

Please do not feel obligated to respond to this message outside of your normal working hours.

• 4.  RE: various storage topics for Fall 2023

Posted Oct 05, 2023 11:27 AM

Hi Cathy -- 

I like the idea of a monthly discussion topic. Some ideas off the top of my head: 
    *how do you store and circulate microfiche?
    *what kind of specialized shelving do you have for oversize material (ie objects, large poster tubes) or artwork?

As for conferences, at the moment I'm only planning on ALA Annual and would be interested in a library storage facility tour in San Diego. 

best, Katia

------------------------------
    Katia Strieck
    Director, Library Research Annex
    University of Pennsylvania Libraries
    267-275-5059
    kstrieck@upenn.edu
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: various storage topics for Fall 2023

Posted Oct 06, 2023 09:13 AM
    Agreed, I like the idea of a monthly discussion topic.   I'd be willing to contribute to a list of topics/questions as well.    I liked Katia's ideas, and would also be interested to discuss emergency planning and response, safety procedures/protocols, storing/handling special collections materials and other formats (and many more, but those are what come to mind at this moment.  

Thanks very much, 

Mary 

--
    Mary Miller
    Director of Collection Management and Preservation
    University of Minnesota Libraries
    31A Wilson Library
    309 19th Ave. South
    Minneapolis MN 55455
    (612) 625-9176      

Pronouns: she/her/hers