Core CC:DA Public Space

Portraits of three Core members with caption Become a Member: Find Your Home: Core.

• 1.  Comments requested: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 DEADLINE September 13

Posted Sep 05, 2023 09:57 AM
    Edited by Amanda Sprochi Sep 05, 2023 10:27 AM

Comments requested on RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 [http://www.rda-rsc.org/sites/all/files/RSC_PlacesWG_2023_2.pdf, sorry, I can't seem to direct link to this document], Revision of Corporate Body: jurisdiction governed and Place: jurisdiction governed of

This proposal address objections to RSC/PlacesWG/2023/1. I will repeat what I said in the previous request for comments: 

Please register your comments here (so that non-CC:DA members can also discuss) by September 13. Yes, this is short notice. Yes it sucks. Yes it seems to be what we are stuck with. Sorry.

I could use a volunteer to gather the comments into a document to send to our NARDAC reps, Bob Maxwell and Adam Schiff, so that they can compile their feedback into a document for the RSC. Sorry,  and thanks.

Abstract and background

This proposal revises the labels and definitions of Corporate Body: jurisdiction governed and Place: jurisdiction governed of as was recommended by the RSC at its May 2023 meeting. RSC/PlacesWG/2023/1 made several recommendations for removing ambiguity concerning the use of the term jurisdiction in RDA. Recommendations 4 and 7 from the proposal were withdrawn at the meeting due to RSC objections (RSC/Minutes/372-392 Item 380.4) and are being resubmitted.

------------------------------
    Amanda Sprochi
    Cataloger/Data Wrangler
    60 Ellis Library
    University of Missouri
    520 S 9th St.
    Columbia, MO 65211
    sprochia@missouri.edu
    573/882-0461
    She/Her/Hers

The University of Missouri occupies the traditional land of the Osage, Kiikaapoi, Peoria, and Očhéthi Šakówiŋ peoples.

• 2.  RE: Comments requested: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 DEADLINE September 13

Posted Sep 05, 2023 10:10 AM

I am not sure if there is no link to the proposal in Amanda's message or if I am just missing it.  I found it on the RSC website if  anyone wants to look at it: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2.

Kate

Kate James
    She/Her/Hers

• 3.  RE: Comments requested: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 DEADLINE September 13

Posted Sep 05, 2023 01:05 PM

Thanks Kate. For some reason the link won't embed and work, so I've added it to copy and paste in the original message.

aks

Amanda K. Sprochi, MA, MLIS, AHIP

Cataloger/Librarian IV

University Libraries

The University of Missouri

520 S 9th St

60 Ellis Library

Columbia, MO  65211

(573) 882-0461

sprochia@health.missouri.edu

she/her/hers

The University of Missouri  occupies the

traditional land of the Osage, Kiikaapoi,

Peoria, and Očhéthi Šakówiŋ peoples.

• 4.  RE: Comments requested: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 DEADLINE September 13

Posted Sep 06, 2023 09:49 AM

I agree with all three recommendations. They are part of a long-standing RSC commitment to disentangling place and jurisdiction.

Kathy Glennan
    Director, Cataloging & Metadata Services
    University of Maryland Libraries
    she/her/hers

• 5.  RE: Comments requested: RSC/PlacesWG/2023/2 DEADLINE September 13

Posted Sep 13, 2023 03:06 PM

To some degree I'm still working through my thoughts on this one, but I thought I'd share where I'm at:

It's not clear to me that RDA is the correct standard to disentangle the concepts of jurisdiction (as it applies to geographic places) and a purely geographic place.  In practice, we use political labels to describe physical places, and I do not see how these proposals will help create descriptions of information resources, or necessarily of either entirely geographic or political places. In the impact statement the proposal notes: "Revisions to this element should have little to no impact on current cataloging, as there is no evidence that the Official Toolkit element has been used." I would suggest reconsidering the value of including jurisdiction as a concept, particularly if its definition in RDA does not enhance the cataloging of legal materials.

Jeanette Norris
    Manager, Monographic Latin Script Cataloging Unit
    Yale University Library
    She/Her/Hers