Core Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Libraries Interest Group

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

✉ Send an email to ALA-CoreAIAndMachineLearningInLibraries@ConnectedCommunity.org to start a discussion or share a file.

About this Group

👐 Anyone can view all content in the group, but only people who join it can post to it. Anyone can join to participate.

Purpose: Provides a forum for researching potential applications of Machine and Deep Learning in library science, including discussions, publications, and outreach to the wider Library community. Its goal is to educate librarians on uses of the complex techniques of machine learning and to provide a space for critically thinking both about new applications, and about the ethical and social impact of these technologies , as the field rapidly expands in the coming decade.

This group is part of Core's Technology Section.

Portraits of three Core members with caption Become a Member: Find Your Home: Core.

ALA 2024 wrap & share outs

• 1.  ALA 2024 wrap & share outs

Posted 11 hours ago

That's a wrap on ALA 2024 in San Diego, and what a conference it was! With so many sessions and posters on artificial intelligence in libraries, it's exciting and also a little overwhelming trying to keep it all in my head. 

For folks who attended, did you sit in on a session that had something memorable? Did a poster session inspire a particularly meaningful conversation between you and the presenter? I'd love to hear some of the things that stood out to you. 

Broadly, I was pleased as punch to see a lot of folks doing their best to provide information about AI at an entry level to help bring more people into the conversation. It was also great to see people approaching the topic from a variety of angles -- not just "how do we use this" but should we use it, what does it mean for the climate, what does it mean for our patrons, etc... I also couldn't help but read a little into the fact that the first session I went to attend at 9am on day 1 was packed to the point that they had to cut off entry.

------------------------------
    Peter Musser
    Co-chair, ALA Core IG for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Libraries

Head, Library Services
    ISKME
    He/Him/His
    ------------------------------