SRRT (Social Responsibilities Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

The Social Responsibilities Round Table works to make ALA more democratic and to establish progressive priorities not only for the Association, but also for the entire profession. Concern for human and economic rights was an important element in the founding of SRRT and remains an urgent concern today. SRRT believes that libraries and librarians must recognize and help solve social problems and inequities in order to carry out their mandate to work for the common good and bolster democracy.

Learn more about SRRT on the ALA website.

• 1.  Statement from Ann Sparanese, Winner of the 2024 Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equity

Posted 21 days ago
    All,

Ann Sparanese, winner of the 2024 Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equality, asked us to share this statement since she was unable to attend Annual:

Dear April, Charles, and all the members of SRRT-AC and SRRT,

I want to express my heartfelt thanks for the honor you  have bestowed on me as a recipient of the Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equality.

I am sorry not to be there to thank you all in person, but previous plans to be on the Allagash River coincided with this meeting. When you read this I'll probably be paddling a canoe.

I was beyond flabbergasted and deeply moved by this honor. I knew and worked with Herb - and what a guy he was!  He and Mary were legendary and fearless in ALA and SRRT and I am deeply humbled by receiving an award named in his honor.  All the work that I was part of back then,  I did with many others who are still in the leadership of SRRT and active in Library Land, like Al Kagan and the Marks, -Hudson and Rosenzweig - Elaine Harger and probably a few more who have been continuously involved all these years. All the good work SRRT has done in ALA has _always_ been a collective effort. So while it is wonderful to get recognized I feel a need to "recognize back"!

When I retired from my job in 2011 to take care of my twin grandchildren full time, I didn't keep up my ALA membership and my political work continued  in other directions & venues.  But around the time that I received notice of the Biblo Award, I was actually thinking of rejoining ALA and SRRT because libraries and librarians were coming under such attack, and I am still a working librarian. Your award gave me the final nudge I needed! I'm back. So thank you all again!  I will try to be worthy of your recognition.

With warm regards,
    Ann Sparanese

• 2.  RE: Statement from Ann Sparanese, Winner of the 2024 Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equity

Posted 20 days ago
    Please pass this on if AS does not see the list.  MG

Dear Ann
    Many congratulations on winning the well-deserved Biblo award.  Hope all is well with you and yours. Michael
    -----
    Michael Gorman
    525 W. Superior, Apt.225
    Chicago Illinois 60654
    -----
    312-515-8478

• 3.  RE: Statement from Ann Sparanese, Winner of the 2024 Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equity

Posted 20 days ago
    Will do.

April