SRRT (Social Responsibilities Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

The Social Responsibilities Round Table works to make ALA more democratic and to establish progressive priorities not only for the Association, but also for the entire profession. Concern for human and economic rights was an important element in the founding of SRRT and remains an urgent concern today. SRRT believes that libraries and librarians must recognize and help solve social problems and inequities in order to carry out their mandate to work for the common good and bolster democracy.

Learn more about SRRT on the ALA website.

• 1.  Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 15, 2022 02:28 PM
    Edited by Sherre Harrington Jun 23, 2022 11:22 AM
    Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) will have an active ALA annual - if you're going to be there, we hope you'll join us. Everything is open to all conference-goers!

Volunteer Opportunities (you actually don't have to be an annual to volunteer, but if you are, come to a meeting and find out more!)
    • Membership committee
    • Committee to draft new bylaws aligned with the Round Table Coordinating Committee template
    • Web/Social Media committee
    Meetings, Programs and Discussion Groups

Friday, June 24

Saturday, June 25

• SRRT Action Council Meeting I, 8:30am – 10:00am, Washington Convention Center, 204C
    • ALA Membership Meeting (combined with the Information Session for Members, Councilors, and Executive Board), 10:00am – 11:30am, Marriott Marquis, Liberty Ballroom – see more below

Sunday, June 26

• Libraries, Free Speech, and Anti-Boycott Laws, 1:00pm – 2:00pm, Washington Convention Center, 147B
      Tom Twiss from SRRT, Alan Leveritt, publisher of the Arkansas Times, and Luna Martinez from the Center for Constitutional Rights discuss the direct effect on free speech for libraries, and on free speech more generally, of recent anti-boycott laws.
    • SRRT Action Council Meeting II, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, Washington Convention Center, 204C
    • Progressive Librarians Guild (PLG) Meeting, 4:00pm – 5:00pm, Washington Convention Center, 204C
      Join members of the Progressive Librarians Guild at our annual meeting. PLG exists to provide a forum for the open exchange of radical views on library issues.

ALA Membership Meeting

The Membership Meeting is an opportunity for all ALA members – whether registered for the conference or not – to participate in the governance of the association. Your participation is key if resolutions introduced by SRRT are to be sent to ALA Council. Recent examples of successful resolutions include the Resolution Calling for Student Loan Cancellation, passed at the May 2022 virtual membership meeting, 2020's Resolution Ensuring Intellectual Freedom and the Right to Peacefully Assemble at ALA Conferences and Meetings and the 2019 Resolution on Renaming the Melvil Dewey Medal (see them all here https://www.ala.org/rt/srrt/resolutionsarchive).

SRRT-endorsed resolutions that need your support at annual 2022 (see attachments):

• Continuing Virtual Access to ALA Membership Meetings
    • Damage and Destruction of Libraries, Schools, and Other Cultural Institutions in Ukraine
    • Defense of the Right to Engage in Political Boycotts

------------------------------
    Sherre Harrington
    SRRT Coordinator
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 15, 2022 02:55 PM

If anyone would like more information about the Web/Social Media Committee, please feel free to shoot me an email! asheppard@astate.edu.

April

image001.png@01D0D682.EA4D2040

April Sheppard (she/they)

Schedule Appointment
    Assistant Library Director
    Interim Head of Archives & Special Collections

Dean B. Ellis Library   |   P.O. Box 2040   |   State University, AR 72467

Phone 870.972.2766   |   asheppard@astate.edu  

Please know that I honor and respect boundaries around personal time, well-being, caretaking, and time off. My work hours may be different than yours. Should you receive emails from me during a time that you're engaging in any of the above, please protect your time and wait to respond until you're working. 

• 3.  RE: Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 16, 2022 04:10 PM

All –

I've created a page with these events (so I have something to link to from social media). https://www.ala.org/rt/srrt/ala2022

Do you think it would be ok if I upload the three resolutions now so people can review them before Annual?

April

image001.png@01D0D682.EA4D2040

April Sheppard (she/they)

Schedule Appointment
    Assistant Library Director
    Interim Head of Archives & Special Collections

Dean B. Ellis Library   |   P.O. Box 2040   |   State University, AR 72467

Phone 870.972.2766   |   asheppard@astate.edu  

Please know that I honor and respect boundaries around personal time, well-being, caretaking, and time off. My work hours may be different than yours. Should you receive emails from me during a time that you're engaging in any of the above, please protect your time and wait to respond until you're working. 

• 4.  RE: Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 16, 2022 04:37 PM
    Definitely

• 5.  RE: Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 23, 2022 10:14 AM
    Hi, everyone,

We're disappointed that we've had to cancel Saturday's program with Trita Parsi,  US-Iran Relations in the Biden Era, 2:30pm – 3:30pm.  Hope to see you at some of the other SRRT activities at ALA Annual.

Sherre

Sherre Harrington
    SRRT Coordinator
    She/Her/Hers

• 6.  RE: Social Responsibilities Round Table at ALA Annual 2022

Posted Jun 23, 2022 11:30 AM
    Agendas for the three SRRT meetings are shaping up:

• SRRT All Task Force Meeting & Annual Membership Meeting, Friday, June 24, 7:30pm – 9:30pm, Marriott Marquis, Archives
      An informal opportunity to meet SRRT members and learn more about how to participate in SRRT and task force activities. Join us for a snack, coffee or tea, and talk about membership initiatives, SRRT's active resolutions, and more about attending Saturday's ALA Membership Meeting. Feel free to drop in if you can't stay for the full meeting time!
    • SRRT Action Council Meeting I, Saturday, June 25, 8:30am – 10:00am, Washington Convention Center, 204C
      The agenda includes the presentation of the Herb Biblo Outstanding Leadership Award for Social Justice & Equality to Elaine Harger. Elaine will be joining us virtually.
    • SRRT Action Council Meeting II, Sunday, June 26, 2:30pm – 3:30pm, Washington Convention Center, 204C
      Agenda items include election of 2022-2023 SRRT Action Council officers and a report from SRRT's ALA Executive Committee liaison Ana Elisa de Campos Salles.

Sherre Harrington
    SRRT Coordinator
    She/Her/Hers