SRRT (Social Responsibilities Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

The Social Responsibilities Round Table works to make ALA more democratic and to establish progressive priorities not only for the Association, but also for the entire profession. Concern for human and economic rights was an important element in the founding of SRRT and remains an urgent concern today. SRRT believes that libraries and librarians must recognize and help solve social problems and inequities in order to carry out their mandate to work for the common good and bolster democracy.

Learn more about SRRT on the ALA website.

• 1.  Greetings from the 2022-2023 SRRT Coordinator

Posted Jul 05, 2022 11:33 AM

Hello, everyone!

After recharging my introvert batteries after conference and spending the weekend protesting, I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is April Sheppard and I am SRRT's 2022-2023 Coordinator. I am an Assistant Library Director at Arkansas State University in Northeast Arkansas. My social justice interests include diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, intellectual freedom, LGBTQ+, critical race theory, homelessness, and environment/sustainability. My non-SRRT interests include music, particularly heavy metal, horror movies, and apparently adopting and fostering animals (although, I think it's more like they adopt me).

I look forward to serving as Coordinator this upcoming year. My contact information is below. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns regarding SRRT or any social justice or library issue, I'm always an email away.

April

April Sheppard
    SRRT Coordinator

SRRT & RRT Web Committee

she/they/her/them

Dean B. Ellis Library   |   Assistant Library Director

P.O. Box 2040   |   State University, AR 72467

Phone 870.972.2766   |   asheppard@astate.edu  

Please know that I honor and respect boundaries around personal time, well-being, caretaking, and time off. My work hours may be different than yours. Should you receive emails from me during a time that you're engaging in any of the above, please protect your time and wait to respond until you're working. 

• 2.  RE: Greetings from the 2022-2023 SRRT Coordinator

Posted Jul 06, 2022 11:11 AM

Hi All,

I am your ALA Executive Board Liaison.  I am particularly excited to serve as your liaison because I understand the importance of the work SRRT does for ALA.  I have been a member of SRRT for many many years.

As your liaison, I will:

1. Be a conduit between SRRT and the ALA Executive Board.
    2. Attend your virtual and physical meetings as I am able.
    3. Share governance information with you as well as share important announcements.

Please do not hesitate contacting me – if I don't have the answers, I know where to find them.

Finally, I would like to ask that all members of SRRT consider joining the Unite Against Book Bans.  https://uniteagainstbookbans.org/  Please take a look at the website, for those facing challenges, there is an excellent tool kit and talking points. 

Looking forward to a productive year.

Sara Dallas

518-859-0742

• 3.  RE: Greetings from the 2022-2023 SRRT Coordinator

Posted Jul 06, 2022 11:19 AM

Thank you, Sara! I look forward to working with you.

I have already joined the Unite Against Book Bans campaign and agree it's something every SRRT member should support.

April

• 4.  RE: Greetings from the 2022-2023 SRRT Coordinator

Posted Jul 06, 2022 12:21 PM
    Look at the header on our informal Facebook page for SRRT member discussions: 

--
    Diedre Conkling
    diedre08@gmail.com

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."―Maya Angelou

• 5.  RE: Greetings from the 2022-2023 SRRT Coordinator

Posted Jul 06, 2022 02:15 PM
    Thanks, April! Julie

Julie Ann Winkelstein, PhD, MLIS
    Librarian, writer, teacher, activist
    Author: Libraries and Homelessness: An Action Guide (https://products.abc-clio.com/abc-cliocorporate/product.aspx?pc=A5708P)
    Co-editor, ALA Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) newsletter
    jwinkels@utk.edu

My pronouns are she, her, hers