NOTICE OF POSTING
POSTING DATE: 9/25/2017
CLOSING DATE: 10/16/2017
Recruitment of external applicants is underway concurrent with this posting. Resumes and letters of interest can be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
JOB TITLE: Staff Librarian/Central Square Branch
DEPARTMENT: Cambridge Public Library/ Central Square Branch
JOB CODE/POSITION #: L412-710
CIVIL SERVICE: Non-Civil Service
HOURS OF WORK: The work week is 37.5 hours. Initial schedule is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 9:30am-6:00pm, Thursday 12:30pm-9:00pm. The position will also work in a Saturday rotation with Friday off on those weeks. Hours are assigned and may be changed to meet the needs of the Department and the Library.
UNION AFFILIATION: CPLSA, Local 4928
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Branch Manager, provides outstanding customer service, directs the day-to-day activities of the branch adult services, performs circulation control, reader's advisory, and clerical activities, and provides coverage in the technology center as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Delivers exceptional and engaging customer service to the public
· Provides professional information service to the public in person, on the telephone, and by electronic means
@ Interviews patrons to determine information needs
@ Analyzes needs and determines appropriate sources to fulfill those needs
@ Assists patrons in the use of library resources; explains print and online sources
@ Assists patrons in the use of library computers and other library resources such as e-book readers and downloadable content
@ Assists patrons with placing holds and inter-library loan requests
@ Assists in providing system-wide reference service through contact with branch librarians
· Performs functions related to circulation such as checkouts, check-ins, inquiries, reserves, renewals, fine assessment and collection, over-dues and patron registration
· Keeps current with appropriate review media, professional and on-line resources, popular materials, and bestseller lists
· Actively develops displays and merchandizes the collections, anticipates special events and anniversaries as well as responding quickly to breaking news events
· Contributes material to the Library web page and to other publications
· Compiles book lists, bibliographies on subjects of current interest, and other educational and public relations materials such as e-sources as needed
· Selects, weeds, and merchandizes assigned areas of the adult collection
· Processes, weeds, and maintains the adult periodical collection
· Enforces library rules of behavior; takes appropriate action in case of misbehavior
· Presents orientation tours for student and community groups as needed
· Conducts clerical tasks such as answering the telephone and routing calls and data entry
· Processes deliveries – moving and unloading bins and checking-in items
· Assists in design and staffing of library programs
· Participates in public relations activities to alert the community to the availability of library services and programs
· Operates audio-visual equipment in the presenting of library programs
· Provides coverage in the children’s room and tech center as needed
· Any other duties required by the Branch Manager for the good of the branch and the library system
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college. A master's degree from an accredited school of library science. Two years of relevant work experience, preferably in public library adult services. In exceptional instances, specialized education, training, and/or experience may be substituted for part of the educational requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Working knowledge of basic public library concepts; Solid knowledge of adult services, including information and research and reader’s advisory services; A broad knowledge and appreciation of popular literature and genres; A general knowledge of resources in many subject areas; Solid knowledge of and comfort with computer technology; knowledge of current technological trends, including social media; Good oral and written communication skills; Adaptability and dependability to work well in a team situation, and flexibility in emergency staffing situations; Ability to work effectively with a diverse population, and an appreciation of urban library issues; Ability and desire to serve the public with friendliness, tact and diplomacy; Ability to work with enthusiasm and initiative, a cheerful disposition, and a willingness to work harmoniously with others; Knowledge and understanding of the library’s mission, goals, and objectives; Ability to learn and apply the library’s policies and procedures; Ability to contribute positively to the culture of the Cambridge Public Library; Experience performing community outreach a plus; Ability to speak a foreign language a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment; Ability to sit and use computer workstation for extended periods of time; strength to push or pull a loaded book cart which can weigh in excess of 100 pounds, to lift or maneuver onto cart loads of up to 50 pounds, and to carry cartons of books or other materials or equipment. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate effectively. Sufficient vision to read books and patron requests, as well as to see what patrons are doing when they are at some distance from the workstation. Sufficient manual dexterity, personal mobility and physical reflexes. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed primarily in an indoor setting at the library, including public and shared-office spaces. Normal office exposure to noise, stress and interruptions
RATE: $28.1663 per hour to $32.2920 per hour in five steps
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
50 E Huron St. | Chicago, IL | 60611 | USA
© 2009-2018 American Library Association
Join | Renew | Donate
Request a New Community