Librarianship in For-Profit Educational Institutions Discussion Group

View Only
last person joined: one month ago 

Charge: A forum for librarians in for-profit educational institutions to network, share knowledge, and collaborate on tasks, direction, and issues specific to their roles within the for-profit education industry.
Community members can post as a new Discussion or email ALA-acrllfpeidg@ConnectedCommunity.org
Before you post: please note job postings are prohibited on ALA Connect. Please see the Code of Conduct for more information.
  • 1.  Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 18, 2020 05:49 PM
    Happy Sunday everyone!

I am the current convener for our IG and I wish to have your support regarding a decision on the future of LFPEI.

Proposed Decision: I propose we shift our community from an Interest Group to a Discussion Group. This will reduce how many volunteer leaders we need from 3 to 1. This will also lift our Plan of Excellence responsibilities. We will continue to have our space in Connect for networking and I can volunteer to be our leader of record.

What happens on Friday 10/23 12pm? I need to contact Lauren, our ACRL liaison, as to our decision. If I do not hear from anyone or strong feelings again a DG, then I will let Lauren know we'll move to a DG and complete the paperwork needed.

Why the change? Last year, we had a challenge with group leadership. We did not have enough volunteers to fill all three leadership roles for our group. When there are more leaders than openings, there are elections, as you see with other ACRL IGs. We only had one volunteer and our past leaders were not able to continue serving. ACRL was flexible and suggested a discussion group. The past leader and myself opted to stay with the status quo and ACRL agreed to let us have only one volunteer leader for the year. ACRL again gave us leeway when we were unable to submit our portion of the ACRL Plan for Excellence Report in summers 2019 and 2020. If we want to shift back to IG in the future, that is an option.

Are there alternatives? If there are two-three others who wish to be conveners, we can certainly stay as an IG but with a fully staffed leadership team. Please contact myself or Lauren ASAP if you are interested in leadership. A third option would be to dissolve the group.

More information on interest groups vs discussion groups from Lauren Carlton, ACRL Program Coordinator:
    It is imperative that interest groups have three leaders, [ACRL-LFPEI] group has the option to become a discussion group. Discussion groups only require a single convener for a one year term each year, and conveners have the option to renew and serve multiple years. Essentially, discussion groups are a simplified way to exist while still receiving the same support from ACRL as well as offering the same level of programming and support to its members.
    The main difference is that interest groups have a bit more structure and are required to have three conveners (an incoming, current and past) each year. These leadership positions are a three-year commitment. As an example, [when someone serves] as incoming convener in 2019, [they are] automatically the convener for 2020 and the past convener for 2021. Interest groups are also required to turn in the ACRL Plan For Excellence Report outlining what the group did and/or goals they accomplished each summer. Interest groups must also renew every three years or they can sunset at that time.

------------------------------
    Mary Snyder
    Convener for ACRL - Librarianship in For-Profit Educational Institutions IG
    University Librarian @ Strayer University
    mary.agnes.snyder@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 19, 2020 04:13 PM
    Hello Mary,

If it does not change anything besides how many leaders we need, I do not see a particular  issue with this change. If there are not projects or things going on that really need the additional leaders, then it makes sense to reduce and simplify administration. If there are projects that need that attention, then people might be inclined to volunteer if they know what the consequences / lost projects are.

Daniel Wilson
    Director of Library & Learning Services
    American InterContinental University
    He/Him/His

• 3.  RE: Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 19, 2020 04:51 PM
    Hi Mary,

I'm happy with it just being a discussion group.

Dina Schuldner

• 4.  RE: Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 20, 2020 07:59 AM
    I agree with the other comments. I would hate for us to lose the group altogether because we are such a unique set of librarians, but I don't see a problem as long as we have some type of forum to share best practices and ask questions.

Amber Eakin
    Library Services Manager
    Strayer University
    She/Her/Hers

• 5.  RE: Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 21, 2020 10:04 AM
    Morning, morning,
    I was, and am, glad to have a place to go and seek expertise, counsel, and advice... not to mention consolation when aggrieved.  This was particularly true when I was by myself at a vocational institution in the health sciences (from 2013-2018).  It's true today, too, even though I now work in an office/library with a couple of others instead of as a solo.  
    Essentially I like the option to become (and remain) a place for discussing issues and affirming what 'we' do.

Donald Welch
    Research Librarian
    Amberton University

• 6.  RE: Share your opinion on the future of LFPEI by 10/23 12pm ET

Posted Oct 21, 2020 06:58 PM
    Edited by System Sep 01, 2022 03:35 PM
    Hello!
    I agree with all who have already provided feedback. This group was an important respite for me when I transitioned from an academic library with a team of librarians to being the solo librarian of a new, for-profit visual arts library. The ability to share experiences with our unique brand of librarians is invaluable. IG or Discussion Group is fine as long as support remains accessible for members. Thank you so much for everything that you have done. I look forward to moving forward with all.

Be well and stay safe everyone!

Lucille Bellamy
    Director, Library & Learning Resources
    Gnomon
    She/Her/Hers