Syndicate content

GODORT (Government Documents Round Table) RoundTable

In: Government Documents, Government Documents Round Table (GODORT)
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion ALA Annual (Orlando) GODORT Bylaws and Organization Committee -- Meeting Agenda

by David Utz on Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 01:59 pm

The GODORT Bylaws and Organization Committee will meet on Friday, June 24, 2016, 3:00-4:00 p.m., in the Hilton Orlando, Conway Lake Room.

The Bylaws and Organization Committee will discuss revisions to the GODORT Bylaws and PPM necessary to accommodate decisions of the GODORT Steering Committee concerning reorganization and virtual meetings.  Non-Committee members are particularly encouraged to attend to contribute to the discussion of agenda items.

Agenda

The GODORT Bylaws and Organization Committee will meet on Friday, June 24, 2016, 3:00-4:00 p.m., in the Hilton Orlando, Conway Lake Room.

The Bylaws and Organization Committee will discuss revisions to the GODORT Bylaws and PPM necessary to accommodate decisions of the GODORT Steering Committee concerning reorganization and virtual meetings.  Non-Committee members are particularly encouraged to attend to contribute to the discussion of agenda items.

Agenda

Welcome and Introductions (Attendance Sheet) - David Utz, Chair

Adoption of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes, Midwinter, 2016

Report of the Committee Chair on significant activities since Midwinter, 2016

  1. Completion and submission of a revised "Strategic Goals and Five-Year Plan," including the goal to "sunset" Bylaws as a Standing Committee
  2. Revisions to PPM Chapter 1 (Conferences and Meetings), to be harmonious with ALA Policy Manual and current ALA parliamentary procedure.
  3. Resolution to eliminate all internal liaisons between GODORT units.
  4. Revision of PPM Chapter 5 [Chair-Elect] to reflect the elimination of internal liaisons.

Old Business

  1. Recommendations concerning virtual meetings - Bylaws changes
  2. GODORT re-organization - Bylaws changes.

New Business

  1. Revision of other PPM Chapters to reflect elimination of internal liaisons
  2. Committee Transition

Announcements

Adjourn

 

More...

Event GODORT Cataloging Committee meeting (Annual 2016)

by Ellen Caplan on Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 02:27 pm

Please join the GODORT Cataloging Committee at its ALA Annual meeting in Orlando on Saturday, June 25 from 4:30-5:30 at the Rosen Centre, Room Salon 13. A brief agenda for this meeting follows. Complete details can be found on the attached document.

Please join the GODORT Cataloging Committee at its ALA Annual meeting in Orlando on Saturday, June 25 from 4:30-5:30 at the Rosen Centre, Room Salon 13. A brief agenda for this meeting follows. Complete details can be found on the attached document.

  1. Welcome and introduction
  2. Approval of Cataloging Committee Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes from Midwinter 2016
  4. Brief GPO and Vendor Updates – question and answer period based on written reports
  5. GODORT Liaison Reports
  6. Old & New Business
    1. Possible goals to be worked on in 2016-2017 based on the Mission and Goals/Tasks for the Cataloging Committee (5-year projections)
    2. GODORT Toolboxes: Report on plans and/or progress made
    3. Information on GODORT reorganization
    4. Future conference calls for the committee
    5. 2016-2017 committee; new CC:DA liaison
  7. Adjourn

 

 

 

 

 

 

More...

Event GODORT Publications Committee Meeting

by Valerie Glenn on Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 06:33 pm

Please join us at the GODORT Publications Committee meeting in Orlando! Agenda and details follow. 

 

GODORT Publications Committee

June 25, 2016, 3-4 PM

Rosen Centre Hotel, Salon 13

 

Agenda

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions

  2. Additions to the Agenda

Please join us at the GODORT Publications Committee meeting in Orlando! Agenda and details follow. 

 

GODORT Publications Committee

June 25, 2016, 3-4 PM

Rosen Centre Hotel, Salon 13

 

Agenda

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions

  2. Additions to the Agenda

  3. Treasurer’s Update

  4. DttP - Update on move to OJS

  5. Notable Documents Update

  6. Occasional Papers Series - discussion and future plans

More...

Discussion IDTF Call for Agenda Items

by Susan Paterson on Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 05:44 pm

Hi everyone,

The IDTF meeting will be held Saturday June 25 1:00-2:30pm.

Could you please let me know if you have any agenda items that you'd like to be added either through connect or via my email - susan.paterson@ubc.ca 

Looking forward to seeing you all in Orlando. 

Many thanks,

Susan 

Discussion GODORT Happy Hour at ALA Annual

by Rebecca Hyde on Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 02:15 pm

Join GODORT for our Friday evening Happy Hour at ALA Annual in Orlando!
 
When 
Friday, June 24, 4:30PM-6:30PM
 

Where
David's Club Bar & Grill in the Hilton Orlando
6001 Destination Parkway, Orlando, FL, 32819
http://www.thehiltonorlando.com/dine/davids-club.html 

Join GODORT for our Friday evening Happy Hour at ALA Annual in Orlando!
 
When 
Friday, June 24, 4:30PM-6:30PM
 

Where
David's Club Bar & Grill in the Hilton Orlando
6001 Destination Parkway, Orlando, FL, 32819
http://www.thehiltonorlando.com/dine/davids-club.html 

 
The Hilton Orlando is walking distance from the Convention Center, so you can stop by GODORT Happy Hour before heading to the opening of the exhibits. You can also take the Meeting Express Shuttle to the Convention Center: http://2016.alaannual.org/sites/default/files/ALA%202016%20Annual%20Orla... 
 
Hope you can join us for Happy Hour!

More...

Discussion GODORT Buddy Program at ALA in Orlando

by Rebecca Hyde on Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 09:18 am

Attending ALA Annual in Orlando? Interested in government information librarianship? Want to know more about what we do in GODORT? Get a Buddy! Sign up NOW!

Attending ALA Annual in Orlando? Interested in government information librarianship? Want to know more about what we do in GODORT? Get a Buddy! Sign up NOW!

The GODORT Buddy program matches new conference attendees or anyone new to GODORT with an experienced GODORT mentor. Meeting up at GODORT 101 & the GODORT Happy Hour, the Buddies get to make new connections and receive a packet of info about GODORT and tips on having a successful conference. 

We also need GODORT members to VOLUNTEER TO BE A BUDDY!

Share your knowledge and be a welcoming face for GODORT. Learn more about being a buddy; see the description on the GODORT wiki.

Other Details:

The Buddy pairing is for just one conference, so requires a low level of commitment, but means you’ll have an active GODORT member to answer all your questions and introduce you to other members at GODORT 101, the Happy Hour & other events. You'll also receive a packet of information and GODORT goodies!

Questions?? Please don't hesitate to contact one of the membership co-chairs! Rebecca Hyde (rhyde1@slu.edu or 314-977-3106) or Rachel Dobkins (govinfosig@gmail.com). 

More...

Discussion Government Data Centers: A Look Under the Hood at ALA Annual 2016

by Rebecca Hyde on Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 03:22 pm

Join GODORT for our Program at ALA Annual in Orlando! We have a great panel of speakers on a fascinating topic. Full details below, and you can easily add it to your schedule through ALA's official scheduler. Feel free to distribute the attached flyer to your friends & colleagues!

Government Data Centers: A Look Under the Hood

Join GODORT for our Program at ALA Annual in Orlando! We have a great panel of speakers on a fascinating topic. Full details below, and you can easily add it to your schedule through ALA's official scheduler. Feel free to distribute the attached flyer to your friends & colleagues!

Government Data Centers: A Look Under the Hood

Researchers across a broad spectrum of academic disciplines rely on data that is collected, processed, and disseminated by governments at all levels. For those new to supporting research with government data, the repositories providing access to these resources can be as mysterious as a sealed car engine. Join GODORT as we take a look inside government data distribution centers to see what makes them tick!

Speakers: 
 
Bobray Bordelon
Economics & Finance Librarian/Data Services Librarian
Princeton University Library
 
Amy Pienta, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist and Acquisitions Director
ICPSR, University of Michigan
 
Blake Robinson
Florida Collection and Outreach Librarian
State Library of Florida
Division of Library and Information Services
 
Moderator:
 
Shari Laster
Government Data & Information Librarian
University of California, Santa Barbara
 

More...

Discussion Fireside Chat: GODORT's Last Lecture [recording]

by Stephen Woods on Wed, May 18, 2016 at 08:51 am

Folks,

For those who were not able to attend below is the link to the recording.

Fireside Chat: GODORT's Last Lecture
URL: https://meeting.psu.edu/p105n3s0eq8/

We all express our gratitude to a wonderful cohort of government information specialist and wish you success in this next phase of your life.

Folks,

For those who were not able to attend below is the link to the recording.

Fireside Chat: GODORT's Last Lecture
URL: https://meeting.psu.edu/p105n3s0eq8/

We all express our gratitude to a wonderful cohort of government information specialist and wish you success in this next phase of your life.

Linda Johnson, University of New Hampshire
Stephanie Braunstein, Louisiana State University
Lori Smith, Southeastern Louisiana University
Linda Spiro, Rice University
David Cismowski, California State Library
Barbara Miller, Oklahoma State University
Kathy Amen, St. Mary's University
Cathy Hartman, University of North Texas
Mary Alice Baish, Government Publishing Office [retired]

Unable to attend but still remembered.

Jan Swanbeck, University of Florida
Christine Chang, West Virginia University

Stephen Woods
Soon to become Past Chair of GODORT

More...

Discussion Fireside Chat: last lecture from our colleagues

by Stephen Woods on Fri, May 6, 2016 at 07:44 am

I hope you enjoyed Cinco de Mayo

I wanted to get this on your radar as well as your calendar.

On May 17, 2016 from 2:00-3:00 pm est, as the Chair of GODORT, I will be sponsoring a virtual Fireside Chat with 9 of our colleagues that I'm calling "the last lecture".  

You can get access through this URL: https://meeting.psu.edu/godort

I hope you enjoyed Cinco de Mayo

I wanted to get this on your radar as well as your calendar.

On May 17, 2016 from 2:00-3:00 pm est, as the Chair of GODORT, I will be sponsoring a virtual Fireside Chat with 9 of our colleagues that I'm calling "the last lecture".  

You can get access through this URL: https://meeting.psu.edu/godort

Each will spend 5-6 minutes sharing their reflections on the profession as well as provide our community with some words of wisdom and challenges.

Those participating in the Fireside Chat include:

  • Linda Johnson, University of New Hamphsire
  • Stephanie Braunstein, LSU
  • Lori Smith, Southeastern Louisiana University
  • Linda Spiro, Rice University
  • David Cismowski, California State Library
  • Barbara Miller, Oklahoma State
  • Kathy Amen, Saint Mary's University
  • Cathy Hartman, University of North Texas
  • Mary Alice Baish, GPO

Others we celebrate, but will not be able to attend:

  • Jan Swanbeck, University of Florida 
  • Christine Chang, West Virginia University

Please join us as we celebrate a job well done by a wonderful cohort of government information specialist.

Stephen Woods, Chair of GODORT

More...

Discussion GODORT change & public comments

by Stephen Woods on Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 10:45 am

Folks, 

GODORT Steering has been actively working through implementation of the recommendations on virtual participation and reorganization.  

Keeping with our value of transparency, we would like to provide GODORT members an opportunity for public comment on a motion, Internal Liaisons:  GODORT Task Forces and Standing Committees. that Steering will be voting on at our next meeting May 6 from 2-3 est.

Folks, 

GODORT Steering has been actively working through implementation of the recommendations on virtual participation and reorganization.  

Keeping with our value of transparency, we would like to provide GODORT members an opportunity for public comment on a motion, Internal Liaisons:  GODORT Task Forces and Standing Committees. that Steering will be voting on at our next meeting May 6 from 2-3 est.

The text, including pros and cons, can be found here: https://psu.box.com/s/ztccwt1wvtqhdq4n300r3bcylf4b5kcd

If you have comments/concerns about the motion please write those in the comments field provide with this post.  If you want to send your comments directly to me (swoods@psu.edu) that is fine as well.  However, keep in mind that I will post them unless you indicate this is a private comment.  

Just so there is no confusion this is not a Bylaw change that requires a vote of membership.  However, as our organization continues to move forward and to identify its priorities there will be plenty of opportunities for our members to vote on important issues related to our future directions.   

Stephen Woods, GODORT Chair

p.s. members are welcome to join the Steering meeting as an observer.  I will be sending out an open meeting announcement soon with the details about how to connect.

More...

Pages

The mission of the Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) is to (1) To provide a forum for discussion of problems, concerns, and for exchange of ideas by librarians working with government documents; (2) to provide a force for initiating and supporting programs to increase availability, use, and bibliographic control of documents; (3) to increase communication between documents librarians and other librarians; (4) to contribute to the extension and improvement of education and training of documents librarians.

Learn more about GODORT on the ALA website.

Subscribe to GODORT (Government Documents Round Table)