GODORT (Government Documents Round Table) RoundTable
The Program Committee will meet virtually on Thursday, July 14th, at 3pm EDT/2pm CDT/1pm MDT/noon PDT.
- Old Business
- Report of the 2016 Preconference on Data Visualization
- Report of the 2016 Program on Government Data
- Report of the 2016 Program on FIPNet
- New Business
- Proposal for Preconference in 2017 on preservation of tangible government information from the Preservation Working Group (Tom Adamich and Kathy Karn Carmichael)
- Proposal for Program/Preconference on local government budget data “deep dive” from Jennifer Boettcher and SLDTF (Jane Canfield)
- Other program proposals
We will be using Adobe Connect for this meeting:
- Web: https://ala.adobeconnect.com/godort
- Phone: (855) 332-3802
Join the Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) Membership Committee to learn what GODORT does, how easy it is to participate, and to meet and network with active GODORT members from a wide variety of fields and specializations. GODORT serves as a friendly community to inspire the use and usefulness of government information, promote educational and professional resources, and advocate for free and public access to information produced by the government. Every librarian works with government information, and new initiatives are expanding the opportunities—and the necessity—for librarians with government information expertise. Join us and learn how to get involved!
The GODORT Bylaws and Organization Committee will meet on Friday, June 24, 2016, 3:00-4:00 p.m., in the Hilton Orlando, Conway Lake Room.
The Bylaws and Organization Committee will discuss revisions to the GODORT Bylaws and PPM necessary to accommodate decisions of the GODORT Steering Committee concerning reorganization and virtual meetings. Non-Committee members are particularly encouraged to attend to contribute to the discussion of agenda items.
Welcome and Introductions (Attendance Sheet) - David Utz, Chair
Adoption of the Agenda
Approval of the Minutes, Midwinter, 2016
Report of the Committee Chair on significant activities since Midwinter, 2016
- Completion and submission of a revised "Strategic Goals and Five-Year Plan," including the goal to "sunset" Bylaws as a Standing Committee
- Revisions to PPM Chapter 1 (Conferences and Meetings), to be harmonious with ALA Policy Manual and current ALA parliamentary procedure.
- Resolution to eliminate all internal liaisons between GODORT units.
- Revision of PPM Chapter 5 [Chair-Elect] to reflect the elimination of internal liaisons.
- Recommendations concerning virtual meetings - Bylaws changes
- GODORT re-organization - Bylaws changes.
- Revision of other PPM Chapters to reflect elimination of internal liaisons
- Committee Transition
Please join the GODORT Cataloging Committee at its ALA Annual meeting in Orlando on Saturday, June 25 from 4:30-5:30 at the Rosen Centre, Room Salon 13. A brief agenda for this meeting follows. Complete details can be found on the attached document.
- Welcome and introduction
- Approval of Cataloging Committee Agenda
- Approval of Minutes from Midwinter 2016
- Brief GPO and Vendor Updates – question and answer period based on written reports
- GODORT Liaison Reports
- Old & New Business
- Possible goals to be worked on in 2016-2017 based on the Mission and Goals/Tasks for the Cataloging Committee (5-year projections)
- GODORT Toolboxes: Report on plans and/or progress made
- Information on GODORT reorganization
- Future conference calls for the committee
- 2016-2017 committee; new CC:DA liaison
Please join us at the GODORT Publications Committee meeting in Orlando! Agenda and details follow.
GODORT Publications Committee
June 25, 2016, 3-4 PM
Rosen Centre Hotel, Salon 13
Welcome and Introductions
Additions to the Agenda
DttP - Update on move to OJS
Notable Documents Update
Occasional Papers Series - discussion and future plans
Join GODORT for our Friday evening Happy Hour at ALA Annual in Orlando!
Friday, June 24, 4:30PM-6:30PM
David's Club Bar & Grill in the Hilton Orlando
6001 Destination Parkway, Orlando, FL, 32819
The Hilton Orlando is walking distance from the Convention Center, so you can stop by GODORT Happy Hour before heading to the opening of the exhibits. You can also take the Meeting Express Shuttle to the Convention Center: http://2016.alaannual.org/sites/default/files/ALA%202016%20Annual%20Orla...
Hope you can join us for Happy Hour!
Attending ALA Annual in Orlando? Interested in government information librarianship? Want to know more about what we do in GODORT? Get a Buddy! Sign up NOW!
The GODORT Buddy program matches new conference attendees or anyone new to GODORT with an experienced GODORT mentor. Meeting up at GODORT 101 & the GODORT Happy Hour, the Buddies get to make new connections and receive a packet of info about GODORT and tips on having a successful conference.
We also need GODORT members to VOLUNTEER TO BE A BUDDY!
Share your knowledge and be a welcoming face for GODORT. Learn more about being a buddy; see the description on the GODORT wiki.
The Buddy pairing is for just one conference, so requires a low level of commitment, but means you’ll have an active GODORT member to answer all your questions and introduce you to other members at GODORT 101, the Happy Hour & other events. You'll also receive a packet of information and GODORT goodies!
Join GODORT for our Program at ALA Annual in Orlando! We have a great panel of speakers on a fascinating topic. Full details below, and you can easily add it to your schedule through ALA's official scheduler. Feel free to distribute the attached flyer to your friends & colleagues!
Government Data Centers: A Look Under the Hood
Researchers across a broad spectrum of academic disciplines rely on data that is collected, processed, and disseminated by governments at all levels. For those new to supporting research with government data, the repositories providing access to these resources can be as mysterious as a sealed car engine. Join GODORT as we take a look inside government data distribution centers to see what makes them tick!
Economics & Finance Librarian/Data Services Librarian
Princeton University Library
Amy Pienta, Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist and Acquisitions Director
ICPSR, University of Michigan
Florida Collection and Outreach Librarian
State Library of Florida
Division of Library and Information Services
Government Data & Information Librarian
University of California, Santa Barbara
For those who were not able to attend below is the link to the recording.
Fireside Chat: GODORT's Last Lecture
We all express our gratitude to a wonderful cohort of government information specialist and wish you success in this next phase of your life.
Linda Johnson, University of New Hampshire
Stephanie Braunstein, Louisiana State University
Lori Smith, Southeastern Louisiana University
Linda Spiro, Rice University
David Cismowski, California State Library
Barbara Miller, Oklahoma State University
Kathy Amen, St. Mary's University
Cathy Hartman, University of North Texas
Mary Alice Baish, Government Publishing Office [retired]
Unable to attend but still remembered.
Jan Swanbeck, University of Florida
Christine Chang, West Virginia University
Soon to become Past Chair of GODORT