GODORT (Government Documents Round Table) RoundTable
Please join us for what we think will be an informational and exciting meeting of the International Documents Task Force during Annual. As you look at the agenda below, note that we will be having special guests from the UN. Maritina Paniagua, Outreach and Professional Development, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will update us on the United Nations Depository Library Programme (yes, there are 2 "m's" and an "e" in that word); and Ann Paprocki, Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will do a presentation concerning the 70th Anniversary of the UN. Get there early--there might even be treats to help celebrate that big "Seven-0" (anyone got any ideas for UN theme decorated cookies?).
Questions? Answers? Please contact me directly:
GODORT International Documents Taskforce (IDTF) Meeting
ALA Annual 2015, San Francisco
4:30-5:30pm, Sunday, June 28
Marriott Marquis (780 Mission Street, 415-896-1600)—Pacific Suite I
I. Welcome and Introductions
a) Assign Note-taker
II. Approval of the Agenda
III. Approval of Midwinter 2015 Minutes (available in consolidated minutes, pgs. 11-12: http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/File:GODORT_2015_Midwinter_Consolidated_Committee_Minutes.pdf)
IV. Reports from Committee Liaisons
a) Education (Stephanie Martin)
b) Government Information to Kids (Susan Paterson)
c) IFLA and Publications (Jim Church)
d) Legislation (Brett Cloyd)
e) Programming (Melanie Sims)
f) Rare and Endangered Documents (Mary Mallory)
g) Cataloguing (Jeff Hartsell-Gundy)
V. Update report on UNDL Programme and other new UN resources—Maritina Paniagua, Outreach and Professional Development, Dag Hammarskjöld Library
VI. Reports from other Vendors
VII. Presentation about online exhibit celebrating 70th Anniversary of the UN—Ann Paprocki, Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library
VIII. Any other business?
The GODORT Publications Committee will be meeting on Tuesday, August 4th at 12 pm Eastern. Agenda and connection instructions are below. Please feel free to contact me with comments or questions. Thanks!
GODORT Publications Committee
August 4, 2015
12:00 PM Eastern
Welcome and Introductions
Volunteer for note-taking
Notable Docs Update
Planning for the year ahead
GODORT reorganization and planning conversations
To join via Phone:
+1 408 740 7256
+1 888 240 2560(US Toll Free)
+1 408 317 9253(Alternate Number)
(see all numbers - http://bluejeans.com/numbers)
2) Enter Conference ID: 576513652
To join the Meeting:
To join via Browser:
To join with Lync:
Help guide the direction of the State and Local Documents Task Force!
The task force held a virtual brainstorming session on June 16 to build a list of possible projects or actions to focus on in the next five years.
Please vote on which 5 projects/tasks we should pursue through this online survey:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SLDTF_future
The survey will close Friday July 17th.
- Have representatives for state and local at other ALA wide meetings like GIS and LEG and Leg. Assembly to promote state and local
- Update projects listed on the wiki page
- Identify opportunities and support some of the legislative work being done by state library associations
- Connect with the e-gov subcommittee of LEG for webinar possibilities
- More virtual meetings during the year focused on specific issues like managing born digital materials/produce more webinars focused on state and local issues
- Create a list of listservs related to state/local documents on the wiki
- Create a listserv for state and local documents discussion
- Identify organizations, inside or outside of ALA, who would be good partners
- Identify who might have interests in state and local government information besides government documents librarians.
- Hold a Summer Institute for State and Local Gov Info (something along the lines of the Winter Institute for Statistical Literacy for Librarians but for state and local gov info collection development, public service, etc.)
- Sharing best practices through webinars – similar to Accidental Government Librarian series only specific to state and local
- Find ways to encourage those who teach gov docs courses at LIS programs to include more on state and local
- Identify webinar topics through needs assessment
- Conduct a periodic survey of state documents programs throughout the country (what they are doing and problems they are having) and publish the results.
The more opinions we have, the better! If you are interested in state and local government information please take a moment to fill participate in the survey.
Colorado State Library
Rare & Endangered Government Publications Committee (REGP): Preserving Federal Information Panel Discussion
Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Location: Hilton – Sutter Room
This hour-long panel and Q&A session will address a core component of the U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO)'s National Plan for Access to U.S. Government Information: the newly-launched Federal Information Preservation Network (FIPnet).
On behalf of GPO, Cindy Etkin, Sr. Program Planning Specialist, and David Walls, Preservation Librarian, will share a brief overview of FIPnet. Robbie Sittel, Government Information Librarian at Eagle Commons Library, University of North Texas, will discuss current partnerships between UNT Libraries and GPO. Following the presentations, the floor will be open for questions, comments, and general discussion related to the preservation of federal government information.
Prior to the session, we suggest attendees review the brief overview of FIPnet available at: http://www.fdlp.gov/project-list/federal-information-preservation-network. For more information on the National Plan and FIPnet, see the presentation from the April 2015 Depository Library Council meeting: http://goo.gl/YRW5eG.
The handouts for this session are attached to this ALA Connect post. A separate open meeting announcement for the REGP virtual business meeting will be posted shortly.
EDITED TO ADD: An updated version of the National Plan Collections handout has been uploaded to this post. We have also learned that David will be unable to join us; Cindy will present on behalf of GPO.