RMRT (Retired Members Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

The Retired Members Round Table (RMRT) shall exist to develop programs of particular interest to retired persons from all types of libraries and all forms of library services, including formal opportunities for continued involvement and learning; a variety of leadership training and opportunities for mentoring; lifelong professional involvement and networking; and active engagement in the American Library Association and the profession of librarianship.

Visit the Retired Members Round Table (RMRT) on the ALA website.

• 1.  REMINDER: October 30,2022 Fifth Sunday Book Club Discussion

Posted Oct 25, 2022 02:23 PM

REMINDER

Topic: RMRT Fifth Sunday Book Club

Prompt:  Recommend and review a Newbery book winner that you read and loved AND/OR  review a Newbery book that you were "forced" to read (maybe) that you did not like.

Time: Oct 30, 2022 03:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join the Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86463984365?pwd=K3UrcmxPMVYxaDJmaXZMZXJoUzZHQT09

Meeting ID: 864 6398 4365

Passcode: 329100

------------------------------
    Ann Marie Pipkin
    apipkin1@bellsouth.net
    RMRT Member

• 2.  RE: REMINDER: October 30,2022 Fifth Sunday Book Club Discussion

Posted Oct 30, 2022 03:14 PM
    Can't seem to get audio for the zoom meeting but wanted to share my "surprising" newbery favorites.
    In 2005 Richard Peck spoke at our library after winning in 2001 for "A year down yonder".  I enjoyed it because the setting was depression era central Illinois.  Truthfully, I liked the prequel " A long way from Chicago" better.
    My most surprising like is 2015 "the crossover".  It was summer reading for my grandson, so we read it together.  Is is what I call free verse (rap) and tells the story of two basketball playing brothers.  My grandson couldn't put it down and even I was hooked.
    Looking forward to seeing the list of titles!

Kendi Kelley
    Advisory Board

• 3.  RE: REMINDER: October 30,2022 Fifth Sunday Book Club Discussion

Posted Oct 31, 2022 08:22 PM
    Hi, do you have the upcoming books the group will be reading? Nov? Dec? Jan?

Thanks , Chris LeBeau

Chris LeBeau, lebeauc@umkc.edu
    RUSA Achievement Awards Committee Chair
    Adjunct faculty, University of Missouri
    Librarian Emerita, University of Missouri-Kansas City

• 4.  RE: REMINDER: October 30,2022 Fifth Sunday Book Club Discussion

Posted Oct 31, 2022 09:17 PM
    We meet only 4 times a year on the 5th Sunday. Our next discussion is in January. We have read one book together, but prefer discussing books using a prompt.  You can imagine the list of books and interesting experiences that retired librarians can share!

We have not picked our prompt for January. We will post here soon and hope that you will join us in the discussion. We have a fun time discussing books!

Ann Marie Pipkin

Personal experience is the lightning of the soul; it transforms the heart in ways that leave the brain behind.
    Susan Cheever
    writer