NMRT (New Members Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

The mission of the New Members Round Table (NMRT) is to help those who have been association members less than ten years become actively involved in the association and the profession.

Learn more about NMRT on the ALA website.

• 1.  Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 08, 2023 10:41 AM

Hey everyone, 

When many of us graduate, we have to create an online portfolio to showcase what we have learned and the skills we have acquired while getting our degrees. I was wondering how you all feel about these portfolios, and if you kept updating as you gain new experience. 

I was super proud of my portfolio, because it was a visual reminder of the hours I spent researching and writing papers, and collaborating on group projects. Now that I have a full time librarian job, I am unsure if I should keep adding my new experiences making programs, displays, and outreaches and mold the site to be less school based and more career based.

My portfolio hasn't been updated in a year, and some of it feels very cringey now, but here is the link if anyone would like to see how theirs may be similar or different than what I was told to put while in school.

--> Home

Google remove preview
    Home
    My name is Isabelle Graves and am driven by the need to create relationships between organizations and the communities living around them. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in hospitality and tourism management in 2019 at West Virginia University.
    View this on Google >

I used google sites and thought it made the whole process of creating the portfolio easy, but if anyone has any other platforms they would like to share I am all ears.

Please share your portfolios / website if you feel up to it :)

Do you prefer a website over a portfolio, or do you mark your new experiences through Twitter or  Facebook instead?

I like the idea of showing the LIS community what I create and the thought of getting ideas from others' accomplishments as well.

------------------------------
    Isabelle Graves
    Librarian
    Ocean County Library
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 08, 2023 10:00 PM

Isabelle, 

For my program, we used Wix. I update mine regularly: https://lauraknjones.wixsite.com/my-site 

Laura Jones

• 3.  RE: Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 11, 2023 03:45 PM
    Thank you for sharing about online portfolios. I have been working on my resume and cover letters, and one of my colleagues shared hers with me and had an online portfolio. I wasn't even aware this was something that people did now! But I love it! I'm going to have to comb through my work and put one together, and it's great to see how others have done theirs, for inspiration. All the best,

Michelle Wolfson

• 4.  RE: Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 23, 2023 08:37 AM

I have thought about this myself very often! Truth be told, I'm not even sure where that online portfolio went. I think if you are planning on job hunting again in the future it would be good to update your portfolio at least semi regularly - it can be so hard to remember all the things you have done! 

I also wonder if LinkedIn can step in as a professional portfolio. You can add things like projects and publications to your profile. Maybe this is a more "all in one" place for employers to see your accomplishments? 

I also wonder about whether or not employers are taking the time to go through these portfolios when sorting out potential candidates. If you had 50 applications it would be impossible to view 50 different portfolios. I would think a good option might be something that has a lot of visual interest that highlights big projects or accomplishments but not asking employers to do too much reading. Perhaps including a single page that includes your resume / job skills / experience on the portfolio site.

Dacy Shute
    Community Engagement Librarian
    Hickory Public Library
    She/Her/Hers

• 5.  RE: Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 24, 2023 08:31 AM

I graduated last year and while we didn't do a portfolio site, we did have to submit a resume with our final paper/exit assessment. Regarding the ability to look at multiple portfolios and the time it takes, there was a Core webinar last year about making a qualifications chart specific to the position itself, which sounds more helpful in terms of lining up skills with job descriptions, but is probably something that is more time on the applicant's end.  Here's the link to the webinar: https://ala-events.zoom.us/rec/play/zgHjO4NBO6ErM4bfqTwytsNpJHMxTqiBW_oUjRHZZ7p_vURXEGyfWn-RC24ApM_Vhw4NauEqkABH_OfS.BvRk5Lo1rr3davSX?canPlayFromShare=true&from=share_recording_detail&startTime=1654883857000&componentName=rec-play&originRequestUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fala-events.zoom.us%2Frec%2Fshare%2Fl8BWAjcTkPmsSKhVuJAzpTnfAZ3yY1urhh_rAyFkpstR9eHGQBhcnLJPFJvaGZWp.HRwtws-AqzMjIQLJ%3FstartTime%3D1654883857000
    And the slides: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic4bp6k9enpe1zo/6.10%20-%20More%20than%20Words%20-%20CORE%20Webinar.pptx?dl=0

Royal Montgomery
    Librarian
    Atlantic Institute of Oriental Medicine
    She/Her/Hers

• 6.  RE: Online Discussion Forum May 2023 Topic: Professional Portfolios

Posted May 24, 2023 08:40 AM

I think the usefulness of a portfolio depends on where you are applying. If, like me, you want to work in a rural area or small organisation, then a portfolio will improve your chances because the hiring manager will have time to look at each candidate's LinkedIn page and website. During the interviews for my current position, I was asked specific questions about my online portfolio, and after I received the position the interviewers all commented on how much they liked my online portfolio. 

Laura K. N. Jones
    Curator and Archivist
    Grand County Historical Association
    It/Its