NMRT (New Members Round Table)

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

The mission of the New Members Round Table (NMRT) is to help those who have been association members less than ten years become actively involved in the association and the profession.

Learn more about NMRT on the ALA website.

• 1.  Online Discussion Forum December 2022 Topic: The Librarian Job Hunt

Posted Dec 06, 2022 12:15 PM
    Edited by Virginia Wakim Dec 06, 2022 12:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Virginia Wakim, and I'm a NMRT Online Discussion Forum Committee member. For December, our topic is the Librarian Job Hunt.

Throughout this month, I hope people share their stories from their past Librarian job hunts, the good, the bad, the funny, and the successes. So we can all learn from each other's experiences.

Also, sharing tips and tricks you use to navigate the different stages of the Job Search (applying, interviewing, and negotiating) would help our NMRT community. As the fall semester/quarter end, new graduates will be looking for librarian/information professional positions. Let's help build up our field and community so all can succeed and thrive.

A few resources/articles from ALA:

Lastly, the NMRT has a resume review service that works virtually and at the ALA Annual conference. Currently, the service is recruiting Reviewers, so if you are interested in helping others, please volunteer.

https://www.ala.org/rt/nmrt/oversightgroups/comm/resreview/resumereview

------------------------------
    Virginia Wakim
    Access Services Librarian
    SUNY-Brockport
    Drake Memorial Library
    She/Her/Hers

• 2.  RE: Online Discussion Forum December 2022 Topic: The Librarian Job Hunt

Posted Dec 07, 2022 07:20 AM
    Hi Everyone!

My name is Kim, and I currently work at the University of Virginia as a rare book cataloger. I was in a temporary/contract position for 3 years which basically meant I was searching for permanent positions for 3 years. I feel like I've applied to SO many jobs. I've been ghosted, had great interviews, bad interviews, and honestly rude interactions. I'm not an expert, but here are some tips that I've been given over the past three years:

• Don't be afraid to ask about the expected salary (you deserve a livable wage!)
    • Trust your gut 
      • If an interview leaves you with a negative feeling, you CAN withdraw yourself from consideration
      • Send back feedback to the search committee/HR - I had a very rude interaction with a committee member, and I let HR know why exactly I was withdrawing my application; my hope is that other candidates had a better experience
    • Give yourself breaks - applying and interviewing is stressful!
    • Don't be afraid to apply for jobs across the U.S., but it's also completely ok to limit your geographical location in your search.
    One of the very best interviews I had felt like a conversation.  We talked about our pets, tea, and why we all enjoyed our work. I left the interview feeling very positive and like I could do amazing things there. I did not end up getting that position, but I think that's how all interviews should be. Plus, I LOVE talking about cataloging and my dog. Also, just because you didn't get the position, that doesn't mean you were lacking. Sometimes other people are just a better fit for them.

One of the worst interviews I had was when a committee member essentially dismissed my answer and experience as a cataloger right after I answered his question. I guess catalogers don't have *technical* experience in his opinion.... Looking back, I should have advocated for myself and ended the interview right there. I didn't. I ended up struggling through the rest of the interview and eating chocolate afterwards. I also should have known the interview was not going to go well when a member of their administration was there to oversee the interview process and make sure it goes smoothly. Talk about a red flag... That experience taught me that you should go where you and your work will be respected. If someone interviewing you for a position doesn't respect your experience and work, you will not have a good working relationship with them or possibly others at that institution.

I hope my experience and tips help someone else in their job search!

Kimberly Cull
    Rare Book Project Cataloger
    University of Virginia

• 3.  RE: Online Discussion Forum December 2022 Topic: The Librarian Job Hunt

Posted Dec 07, 2022 07:55 AM
    I wrote about this a bit with my first post on ACRLog! My job hunt was pretty intense (it was during my last semester of grad school). I had four total second round academic interviews, and I suppose my best advice on that front is to make sure you're taking care of yourself (whether they're in person or Zoom). Everyone interviewing you knows that it's a marathon of a day. I also let people in my life know that I was going to be fairly unreachable during this job hunt - not everyone knows what the academic job hunt is like, so I think it helped them to know how ridiculously busy I was. 

Emily Zerrenner, MS/LIS
    Research and Instructional Services Librarian
    Research Help Desk Coordinator
    Guerrieri Academic Commons, #133
    410-548-3899
    She/her pronouns

• 4.  RE: Online Discussion Forum December 2022 Topic: The Librarian Job Hunt

Posted Dec 08, 2022 10:00 AM

I recommend checking out your state library association's website for job postings. I have found a couple of my library jobs by keeping an eye on the job listing portion of their website. Sometimes Indeed or other job hunting sites can be unreliable - for example, my library director's job gets posted on Indeed randomly and with some regularity. We think it may be part of a scam. 

When I was interviewing for the position I currently hold, I noticed that some interviews require a lot of pre-work. For one, I was asked to build multiple wireframes for their website. This assignment took about seven hours total. I emailed the wireframes in to the director who was interviewing me. I did not get this job and truly it would not have been a good fit. I realized later when a friend who works in UX pointed out that I did this work for free and I should keep an eye on the library website. I checked after a period of time and changes were made that reflected the work I had done. My approach going forward for something like this would be to bring any pre-work with me in a hard copy form and take it with me at the end. The work I submitted was seven hours of unpaid labor that was ultimately used to benefit the organization. 

I always bring a notebook to an interview that has pre-written answers to common interview questions. This helps me in case my mind goes blank when I am asked a question. I  bring a small portfolio with examples of my past work. For recent graduates with no library experience, use your work from grad school to build your portfolio. I also have a list of questions to ask at the end. I recommend that you always ask questions at the end of the interview, even simple ones like "What will an average day be like?" Be sure to follow up with a thank you email a day or two later. 

Lastly, I highly recommend watching this Ted Talk about "power posing" which discusses the way our body language is perceived. I always arrive a few minutes early to an interview so I have time to power pose. I will do this in my car or in the restroom. 

Dacy Shute
    Community Engagement Librarian
    Hickory Public Library
    She/Her/Hers