ALCTS CaMMS Recruitment & Mentoring Committee (Cataloging & Metadata Management Section) Committee
Programs with Published Guidelines
- ALA MentorConnect has some guidelines in their Mentoring Starter Questions document http://connect.ala.org/node/82872
- Includes definitions, expectations, roles, pitfalls
- ALA New Members Round Table Career Mentoring http://www.ala.org/nmrt/initiatives/nmrtmentguide/nmrtmentoring
- Includes definitions, qualifications, expectations, and benefits
- ACRL Instruction Section Mentoring Program http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/is/iswebsite/projpubs/mentoring
- Tip sheets for mentor and mentee
- Roles and Responsibilities document outlines psychosocial and vocation roles, competencies and expectations
- Resource list--bibliography pertaining to mentoring
- ACRL Science & Technology Section Sci/Tech Library Mentors program http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/directoryofleadership/sections/sts/stswebsite/mentors/mentorinfo
- Includes definitions, qualifications, stages of mentorship
- ALSC Mentoring Program http://www.ala.org/alsc/mentoring
- ACRL College Library Directors' Mentor Program http://www.ala.org/acrl/about/sections/cls/collprogdisc/collegelibrary
- This is a paid program and includes mentor matching, a three-day seminar, and a closed discussion group; no documentation found
- ACRL Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program http://www.ala.org/acrl/membership/mentoring/joseymentoring/mentorprogram
- Matching service; no documentation found
All Committee Meeting and Executive Committee (ALCTS CaMMS)
Date: Sunday, January 10, 2016
Time:8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Westin Waterfront, Galleria Room
- Identify note-taker
- Welcome and introductions
- Old business: Committee charge. Revision proposed to Exec was approved: “To identify and propose methods and materials for recruitment to careers in cataloging and metadata creation; to provide mentoring guidelines and best practices for library professionals, library school students, and others interested in cataloging/metadata activities; to foster career development and provide advocacy to cataloging/metadata professionals.”
- Old business: Mentoring best practices draft documentation – Sarah and Rachel
- Old business: Update on proposal for ALCTS e-forum on the topic of "Career Progression in Cataloging and Metadata" scheduled for February - Stacie
- Old business: Continue discussion of other outreach, such as Twitter, Webinar, etc.
- New business: Other mentoring related activities in ALCTS (e.g. NMIG, Leadership Development). Do we need to coordinate? Any members of this committee who are involved in those groups are asked to attend/report on/etc. those activities
- New business: Invitation to the floor
You do not need to be a member of ALA or ALCTS in order to participate as either mentor or mentee.
WE ARE IN NEED OF MENTORS FROM PUBLIC AND SPECIAL LIBRARIES AND THOSE WITH DIGITAL COLLECTION EXPERIENCE!
Call for mentors and mentees
The ALCTS CaMMS Recruitment and Mentoring Committee Mentoring Program is seeking new mentors and mentees for a yearlong one-to-one mentoring experience. This is a great opportunity for practicing catalog librarians, new cataloging professionals and library/information science graduate students interested in cataloging. Participation in the program requires approximately one to two hours of contact per month, but may vary according to the mentor/mentee relationship.
Topics for discussion may include (but are not limited to):
• Appropriate coursework to prepare for a career in cataloging
• Continuing education opportunities for catalogers
• Resume preparation and interview tactics
• Becoming involved in ALCTS and other professional organizations
Mentees are expected to take an active part in directing the experience.
The Mentoring Program does NOT provide:
• Work experience/internships
• Help with student coursework
To become a mentor or mentee, please fill out and submit the application form at: http://tinyurl.com/3zod7ph
We will begin matching in early February to ensure that we have a suitable pool.
Thank you for considering our program!
The Recruitment and Mentoring Committee