GODORT Federal Documents Task Force (Government Documents Round Table) Committee

Closed group
In: Government Documents, Government Documents Round Table (GODORT), Task Forces
10 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Discussion ALA Committee on Legislation, Federal Depository Library Program Task Force Final Report and Recommendations

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:09 pm

The Final Report has just been released. I'm not sure it calls for a response. Bernadine, what do you think?

Jill

I've posted the report so that you can download it from this forum.

File ALA-COL-FDLP-Final-Report-June-2014

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:04 pm

DOCX File, 44.94 KB

Discussion Apologies, I've been overwhelmed at work and let this slip

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 07:08 pm

I have faith that Tim will do a better job of keeping it going. I'm going to post some things here, but I don't expect that anyone will have time to get to them before Annual. I hope that we can pick up the conversation after the meeting, if that's OK with Tim.

 

Discussion Progress made at ALA MidWinter

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 07:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to spend my term following up on concerns that had been generated by our community. So often we are reactive, and I wanted to define our priorities. When I look at the GPO 2014-2018 Strategic Plan, I like to think that we had some impact. I could be deluding myself. In any case, these are issues that were brought up at the MidWinter meeting:

 

1) Fugitive documents:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to spend my term following up on concerns that had been generated by our community. So often we are reactive, and I wanted to define our priorities. When I look at the GPO 2014-2018 Strategic Plan, I like to think that we had some impact. I could be deluding myself. In any case, these are issues that were brought up at the MidWinter meeting:

 

1) Fugitive documents:

Background: this has been a concern of the depository library community since its inception and electronic dissemination (with more and more information published directly by the agencies onto the web) has exacerbated the problem.

 

Where we are: The GPO Strategic Plan 2013-2017 cites the Statutory Foundation (U.S.C. Title 44) of the FDLP and states that they will determine and pursue eligible work not being handled by GPO. At the FDTF MidWinter meeting Anthony Smith of GPO stated that a 2012 web harvesting pilot project focused on 19 agencies. There was no description of the results of the pilot project. Mr. Smith said that GPO has inaugurated a formal process for nominating sites for harvesting. Nominate sites by sending email to fdlpwebarchive@gpo.gov. Sites are recorded as a one-time “snap-shot.” It looks as if the home for this is https://archive-it.org/home/FDLPwebarchive. He stated that some metadata is collected by the harvesting software and sent to the CGP. The time frame for it showing up for searches is not set. It may be found in the New Electronic Titles lists and In-Process Titles in the meantime.

 

Outstanding issues:

  • Superintendent of Documents Mary Alice Baish will look into the question of Smithsonian documents being sent out in GPO envelopes in paper, but not showing up in GPO online lists.
  • Does FDTF want to make any recommendations regarding Fugitive Documents?

 

2) Collection of last resort:

Background: It would be difficult to find every FDLP document that has been disseminated. Damage, loss, theft, destructive digitization, etc. have all taken a toll on our "complete" Regional collections. As materials go online, fewer libraries see a reason to keep hardcopy.  At one point we worked on developing a "Collection of Last Resort." At one point some FDLP libraries donated materials to GPO for a dark archive, but Congress did not authorize funding to pursue this.

 

Where we are: The GPO Strategic Plan 2014-2018 recognizes the problem:

4. New Library Services and Content Management (LSCM) Strategic Partners –

Library Services and Content Management will continue developing new strategic partnerships that safeguard historical Government documents, preserve print collections, and include cataloging, digitizing, and preserving tangible copies of government publications. LSCM will support efforts to increase public access to digitized collections of high value

to the American public

 

At the ALA MidWinter FDTF meeting Ms. Cindy Etkin stated that the 2014-18 Strategic Plan discusses the possibility of partnering with NARA in a preservation initiative.

 

3) Mirror Server:

Background: As more of the collection goes electronic the concern that a computer virus or hardware failure could take out portions of the electronic collection has haunted librarians. A power failure in D.C. could make government information unavailable for the duration, a fire could take out the server and the back-ups. Plans were made to create a full backup and house it on the west coast, so that there would be redundancy (and it could help with sharing the load) for access to the collection.

 

Where we are: There is a mirror server for all Legislative Branch (including Legislative Agencies information). Its location is kept confidential as a matter of security.  GPO also has a real-time backup server within its building. At the ALA Midwinter FDTF meeting Mr. Anthony Smith stated that there are plans for GPO to move the primary servers to another facility. At that same meeting, Mr. James Jacobs reported that there are currently 37 libraries, including two in Canada, involved in the LOCKSS-DOCS program.

 

Ms. Valerie Glenn spoke about Hathi Trust digitized documents. There are many, but some are incorrectly identified as under copyright and so are not available to the general public. If you find one misidentified in that way, contact Hathi Trust, they are willing to correct the problem on a case by case basis.

 

More...

Online Doc FDTF Committee Liaisons Needed for 2015

by Timothy Dodge on Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

 Dear GODORT FDTF Member,

 Dear GODORT FDTF Member,

   The conference in Las Vegas is coming up soon and I will be assuming office as FDTF Chair at the close of business.   Consequently, I am looking for people willing to serve as liaisons between the FDTF and GODORT standing committees for 2015.  Duties are not difficult:  primarily serving to provide brief updates at the Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference on GODORT committee activities and the FDTF and vice-versa.

   I will list the needed committee liaison positions below.   If interested, please contact me ASAP at dodgeti@auburn.edu .   Current committee chairs are encouraged to serve again if they wish, so please let me know if you are interested.

Cataloging Liaison

Education Liaison

Legislation Liaison (NEED TWO people)

Program Liaison

Publications Liaison

Rare and Endangered Government Publications Liaison.

   Many thanks to those who volunteer (or re-volunteer).   I would suggest listing SEVERAL committee liaison choices just in case your first choice finds a volunteer before you contact me at dodgeti@auburn.edu .

Tim Dodge

GODORT FDTF Chair-Elect

Auburn University

Auburn, Ala.

More...

Online Doc Digitization Statement

by Jill Vassilakos-Long on Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 03:38 pm

Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

Our first task is going to be to review and comment on the six statements that were advanced at the MidWinter meeting. These were disseminated at the FDTF meeting at MidWinter (and I believe that they were also available at most of the other GODORT meetings). I asked people at the meeting to send comments directly to Bernadine Abbott by Feb. 10. I would like to make sure that this Task Force reviews these and sends some comments forward. As you can see, the timeline is tight. I'm putting up the Digitization Statement now, and will follow with the others. 

After that (i.e. post Feb. 10) we have a question about the FDTF frequently used sites libguide: http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/govdb/fdtf/. I would like to send feedback to Larry Romans by mid-March.

Then I would like us to work (possibly in collaboration with other GODORT committees) on a one page overview of the program, suitable for inclusion in the packets given to legislators at the beginning of the legislative session.

We also have a list of previous projects undertaken by members of our Task Force that I would like us to review and identify the outstanding projects, target a few for action, and then identify resources and strategies to move forward so that those can be worked on at ALA Annual.

Thank you for joining this group!

Sincerely,

Jill

More...

Event Federal Documents Task Force Meeting (GODORT)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 01:09 am

Timezone:
US/Pacific (-7)

Meeting of the GODORT interest group concerned with federal government information.

More information about this conference session

Event Federal Documents Task Force (GODORT)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Discussion of topics related to information resources produced by the federal government.

More information about this conference session

Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) Federal Documents Task Force

 

 

Timothy Dodge's picture

Dear GODORT FDTF Member,

   The conference in Las Vegas is coming up soon and I will be assuming office as FDTF Chair at the close of business.   Consequently, I am looking for people willing to serve as liaisons between the FDTF and GODORT standing committees for 2015.  Duties are not difficult:  primarily serving to provide brief updates at the Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference on GODORT committee activities and the FDTF and vice-versa.

   I will list the needed committee liaison positions below.   If interested, please contact me ASAP at dodgeti@auburn.edu .   Current committee chairs are encouraged to serve again if they wish, so please let me know if you are interested.

Cataloging Liaison

Education Liaison

Legislation Liaison (NEED TWO people)

Program Liaison

Publications Liaison

Rare and Endangered Government Publications Liaison.

   Many thanks to those who volunteer (or re-volunteer).   I would suggest listing SEVERAL committee liaison choices just in case your first choice finds a volunteer before you contact me.

Tim Dodge

GODORT FDTF Chair-Elect

Auburn University

Auburn, Ala.

Timothy Dodge's picture

Can't tell if my post was posted, so I'll try again.

 

Tim Dodge

Subscribe to GODORT Federal Documents Task Force (Government Documents Round Table)