GODORT State & Local Documents Task Force Committee
State and Local Documents Task Force Draft Agenda,
Anaheim, June 23, 2012
- Call meeting to order; approve draft agenda
- Approval of past minutes
- Old Business
* Barbara Miller – legislative advocacy contacts for each state
* Jennie Gerke – E-Government
- Liaison Reports
- Bylaws and Organization
- Rare & Endangered (?)
6. Committee Liaisons needed for upcoming term:
* LEGISLATION - one person appointed by SLDTF in even years
* PUBLICATIONS - one appointed by SLDTF every year, for 2-year term
* PROGRAM - one person appointed by SLDTF in even years
7. New business
* Historic State Documents Needs & Offers project
* Other new business?
8. Action item recap
The agenda for our upcoming meeting, minutes of two previous meetings (which need approval), the State N&O Contact chart, and the pdf slide show on our year's project were all stored on the GODORT wiki which crashed over the weekend. The word from ALA is that "It seems that during the hardware upgrade, Dreamhost experienced a massive hardware failure on the server hosting our blogs and wikis. At this time, they are migrating all data to a new server....We have a massive amount of data, so this process will take some time. Again, Dreamhost is unable to give an estimated time to completion."
I will be away from computers tomorrow through Friday, and will not be able to bring printouts of minutes, etc. even if the wiki is restored. If you get acccess to the wiki before leaving for the conference, please print out or download these materials for yourself. Otherwise we can view the materials on our own laptops during the meeting. If the wiki is still down by Saturday, we'll have to muddle through using only our memories.
I will keep you up to date on developments.
State and Local Documents Task Force Chair
The North Dakota State Library will begin weeding publications from other state governments, but they want to offer them before discarding. Kristen Northrup (Head of Technical Services) can create Excel files for each state. ND's collection is not large and is mainly limited to the 1960s-1980s time period. It is a good starter project.
SLDTF needs a volunteer for each state. The volunteer would:
- Receive an Excel file from Ms. Northrup
- Forward the Excel file to other libraries in your state which may have an interest to acquire and/or digitize. Remember to include non-FDLP libraries, historical societies, museum libraries, etc. if you think they may be interested.
- Track interest from other libraries. Get a start on determining NEEDS in your state based on these initial contacts (even if they end up not requesting materials from ND)
- If necessary, kindly assist with shipping logistics. For example, if there are interlibrary couriers in your state, perhaps those services could be used to our advantage. We'd like the process to be as easy as possible for the offering library.
- Return the favor by checking libraries in your state to see if they have any unwanted North Dakota materials that the North Dakota State Library can use.
Please let me know ASAP if you can serve as the contact for your state.
State & Local Documents Task Force Chair