Syndicate content

ALSC Education Committee Committee

In: Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), Continuing Education, Education, Librarianship, Professional Development
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Online Doc Transcript of June 2 Meeting

by Margaret Tice on Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 03:36 pm

Welcome, Angela.  Let's just go with who we have.

 
Let's start with the Makerspace proposal.  Is there any discussion?

 

3:11 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

Welcome, Angela.  Let's just go with who we have.

 
Let's start with the Makerspace proposal.  Is there any discussion?

 

3:11 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Hi sorry! I stink at time zones

 

Rachel • 3:11 PM

 

 

 
That's okay, Rachel.

 

3:11 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think everyone was pretty happy with the Makerspace proposal based on the comments in Connect

 

Danielle • 3:11 PM

 

 

 
I think so too.  Can we tell him to go ahead and schedule it with Kristen?

 

3:11 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think so, no objections here

 

Danielle • 3:12 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Yes

 

Rachel • 3:12 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I vote yes.

 

Angela • 3:12 PM

 

 

 
Great.  I'll send Kristen and Christian an email.  Now about the Nuturing Empathy Course proposal.  I think this is trickier.

 

3:13 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think it has some merits, but I would like to see the presenter revise and resubmit it

 

Danielle • 3:13 PM

 

 

 
Yes.  I think we can do that.  I thought perhaps we were also questioning her credentials.

 

3:14 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I made most of my comments yesterday. It does need reworking...and the credentials questioning was on point.

 

Angela • 3:15 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yes, I commented that she doesn't appear to be a seasoned librarian, but she does have experiences working with bilingual populations, which is a plus

 

Danielle • 3:15 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I'd like to see it match up better and not only be on selecting multicultural books for storytime because I think we can do that already

 

Rachel • 3:15 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I agree.  I think she should focus on topics that go beyond this

 
You made some specific suggestions in Connect about what she could add to her course

 

Danielle • 3:16 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Maybe the low level programming there demonstrates her lack of credentials?

 
It's more of an intro level syllabus?

 

Angela • 3:17 PM

 

 

 
Perhaps she should do a webinar instead of a course.

 

3:17 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I wonder if we could select the topics that we find most compelling and ask her to present a short webinar series instead of a course

 
Great minds! 
 

 
I think a lot of people liked her topic about discussing skin color with children - that would make a great webinar

 

Danielle • 3:18 PM

 

 

 
I agree.

 

3:18 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I don't mind having a course as long as it's more focused and in depth. We could see what she re-submits?

 

Rachel • 3:18 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yeah. Maybe we can give her our feedback and see what she comes back with as you suggest, and if it's still not ready to be made into a course, perhaps we could ask her about turning it into a webinar series?

 

Danielle • 3:19 PM

 

 

 
That sounds good.  Who would like to give her the feedback?

 

3:20 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I don't want to discourage her because I do think her topic is important, and this is someone who took the time to come to our committee webinar back in February, so she has some interest and motivation to work with ALSC

 
I can send it, Margaret

 

Danielle • 3:20 PM

 

 

 
Okay.  Thanks, Danielle.  I also think that we want to encourage her and help her create a better course, or webinar.

 

3:21 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Definitely

 

Danielle • 3:21 PM

 

 

 
Sorry.  I have been waiting all day for a repairman, and he just showed up.  What about the Yoga proposal?

 

3:22 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I still don't know how I feel about that one

 
I would hate to turn it down knowing that we reached out to the presenter and asked her to submit a proposal

 

Danielle • 3:23 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Again, I made my comments yesterday. My biggest concern is how useful it will be. Can librarians even offer yoga without certification?

 

Angela • 3:23 PM

 

 

 
I think that it doesn't need to be a course if it is just incorporating some yoga moves and some books into a storytime.

 

3:23 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
But others' comments opened my eyes to safety concerns that never occurred to me

 

Danielle • 3:23 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Maybe it's a webinar where she offers components of yoga?

 

Angela • 3:23 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
If it's a webinar and not a course, then we also avoid the ethical issue of requiring participants to buy her book

 

Danielle • 3:24 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
And she can pitch her book still...

 

Angela • 3:24 PM

 

 

 
I'm not sure how you can actually teach yoga online.

 

3:24 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I agree, I don't think I could learn how to do it from watching a video

 

Danielle • 3:24 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Can she use video if it's a webinar?

 
Well she had videos in the syllabus

 

Rachel • 3:24 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
There are pretty simple ways to use yoga in a storytime...dog story? Let's be dogs...downward dog...and so on.

 

Angela • 3:25 PM

 

 

 
Can't you show a video during a webinar?  

 

3:25 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I'm not sure we have to be experts, I just don't want participants for ALSC to get hurt or libraries to get sued by kids' parents

 

Rachel • 3:25 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think videos are sometimes clunky when used in Adobe Connect

 

Danielle • 3:25 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
But many libraries have done yoga storytime before

 

Rachel • 3:25 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
And can do that with using simple movement like we always do and not advertise as yoga.

 
We could learn lots of simple movements, resources, pairings with books in a webinar.

 

Angela • 3:27 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I would be OK with asking the instructor to do a webinar instead of a course

 
I agree, Angela.  And it could even be a two part webinar if she needs the time

 

Danielle • 3:27 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
ok

 

Rachel • 3:27 PM

 

 

 
Did we ask her to submit a course proposal? or did we leave it at a course or a webinar.

 

3:28 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Are restrictions by state with licensing? In California you can teach yoga without certification. So librarians couldn't.

 

Angela • 3:28 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I think the RFP was either or

 

Rachel • 3:28 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Sorry CAN'T.

 

Angela • 3:28 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Carole might have forwarded us the email chain that she initiated with Katie, I can look

 

Danielle • 3:28 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I think there is, but people don't always follow it

 
Also, the library would need liability insurance even if their own staff did it

 
and the liability insurance usually requires a certificate of some kind

 
I'm saying this as a certified personal trainer

 

Rachel • 3:29 PM

 

 

 
So I think that we need to give her feedback that she needs to be careful, that it can't actually be teaching yoga and that a webinar would be better.

 

3:29 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
And maybe teach some safety tips during the webinar?

 

Rachel • 3:30 PM

 

 

 
Yes.

 

3:30 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Like don't turn your neck sideways unless your spine is straight and the move is already easy for you

 
I'm not sure you need to shy away from calling it Yoga storytime, but have a disclaimer that it's not a real yoga class

 

Rachel • 3:31 PM

 

 

 
Rachel, do you want to summarize our concerns and give feedback about this proposal?

 

3:31 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I could. Are there any suggestions for transitioning it to webinar or do we just see what she does with it? Do I ask her to re-submit or just email us? Also, can she use video or just in the resources?

 

Rachel • 3:32 PM

 

 

 
We could see what she does with it.  She should resubmit.  Ask Kristen about the video.

 

3:33 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
ok

 

Rachel • 3:33 PM

 

 

 
Any other thoughts about the yoga proposal?

 

3:33 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I don't have any

 

Danielle • 3:34 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
nope

 

Rachel • 3:34 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
No

 

Angela • 3:34 PM

 

 

 
Okay.  Where are we on the Plum Landing proposal?

 

3:34 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I don't have anything new to report

 
Brianne, the person who submitted the proposal, is trying to find a librarian to co-present with her

 

Danielle • 59 mins

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Great

 

Angela • 59 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I followed up with her last month, but I don't want to bug her every few weeks.

 
I plan to follow up with her next month if she hasn't reached out to me

 

Danielle • 59 mins

 

 

 
Okay.  We will wait and see then.  What about the research to Practice webinar series?   Where are we with that?

 

58 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I contacted Diane Hamilton, whose dissertation was featured in American Libraries last month

 

Danielle • 58 mins

 

 

 
That's great.

 

58 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
She is very interested and plans to submit a course proposal about postmodern picture books and the grammar of visual images

 
But otherwise, I have not heard a thing. 

 

Danielle • 57 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
cool

 

Rachel • 57 mins

 

 

 
I think that is good to have a proposal about picture books in the wings.

 

57 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Well if you guys see any cool presenters at ALA we should ask them to submit.

 

Rachel • 57 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I have posted the RFP to the ALSC listserv twice, we put a post on the ALSC blog, Jamie Naidoo sent the RFP to the listserv for the Association for Library and Information Science Education . . . . but no proposals

 
Yes, that's a good idea

 

Danielle • 56 mins

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I heard back from the person I contacted and she's interested. I need to follow up.

 

Angela • 56 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I'm attending the International Literacy Conference as well, and sometimes there are presenters that could appeal to the ALSC audience as well

 

Danielle • 56 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I have someone who could present Math programming for early elementary levels

 

Rachel • 56 mins

 

 

 
Math programming is good. Who is doing the webinar about Getting involved with ALSC?  Kristen would like some content ideas

 

55 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Jamie Naidoo agreed to be the presenter

 
But I told him the Education Committee would help develop the content

 
He and Kristen have already worked out a date

 
It might be in November, I can't remember offhand

 

Danielle • 53 mins

 

 

 
Okay.  So what do we think?  

 

53 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Last time, we talked about how ALSC members can become involved in ALSC

 
which committees are virtual vs. which committees meet face-to-face is one topic we brought up

 
How to be appointed to committees and when appointments are made

 
I wonder if ALSC has opportunities for graduate students in LIS to become involved? That might be another topic

 

Danielle • 52 mins

 

 

 
Volunteering at the ALSC booth, also.

 
My first committee was local arrangements.

 

51 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
i was also told to contact whoever is currently Dan Bostrom, the ALSC president that would be appointing and the chair of the committee with letters, when I asked about how to get on a committee

 
so maybe how to do that

 

Rachel • 51 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think that would be a good topic.  Is local arrangements a committee that helps organize the conference when it's in a particular city?

 

Danielle • 51 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
Hello! Sorry I am late to join. I got mixed up with the time zone in Turkey

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 50 mins

 

 

 
Yes.  It is a good first committee because you get to know a lot of different people quickly.

 
Are you in Turkey, Nicholle?

 

50 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think knowing more about that would be of interest to people

 

Danielle • 50 mins

 

 

 
Also, ways to help besides being on a committee.

 

49 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I wonder if ALSC members would also like to know about the process for elected positions

 

Danielle • 49 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
yes

 
I feel like I still don't know that

 

Rachel • 48 mins

 

 

 
Sure.  The process should be transparent for elected positions.

 

48 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
It seems like if you miss the listserv email about ALSC elections, you miss an opportunity to run for a position

 

Danielle • 48 mins

 

 

 
Well, actually, you need to contact the people who are on the Nominating committee.  Alsc should promote that more.

 

47 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think so

 

Danielle • 47 mins

 

 

 
I chaired the Nominating committee one year.  I got a lot of emails. but the volunteer forms never reached me.  I think that the staff is better about that now.

 

46 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
can we do a survey to the listserv with different topics and have people mark yes i already know this or I didn't even know this was a thing, etc..

 
like elected positions

 

Rachel • 45 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I don't think it would hurt.  I would also like to see an open-ended question where people could suggest other topics

 

Danielle • 45 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
or that bill morris is basically the feeder for the awards committees

 

Rachel • 45 mins

 

 

 
Could we have a survey at the ALSC booth?  I think that would be a good opportunity to get feedback.

 

45 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
it would probably have to be short to be at the booth

 
unless we bribe them with candy

 

Rachel • 44 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think we could do that if Kristen says it's alright

 

Danielle • 44 mins

 

 

 
It should be short anyway.

 

44 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
Yes for a few weeks. Sent the proposal to the head of the First Nations studies concentration at ubc and asked that she pass it on to the masters in children's literature programs well as well.

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 43 mins

 

 

 
More information on the Bill Morris thing is definitely needed.

 

43 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I agree

 

Danielle • 43 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
They have a thesis option in the masters program as well as at phd. The first nations concentration is part of the mlis

 
I thought indigenous content would be fantastic if there was any relevant research happening

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 42 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Nicholle, do you mean the request for proposals for the research-to-practice webinar series?

 

Danielle • 42 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
Yes just getting caught up. Slow typing on a tablet

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 42 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
No worries! Thanks for sharing it, I hope we bring in some proposals!

 

Danielle • 41 mins

 

 

 
Thanks very much, Nicholle.  Do you think that we could get a survey together quickly?

 

41 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Probably so

 
Perhaps we could collaborate in a Google Doc?

 

Danielle • 41 mins

 

 

 
That sounds good.  Who can start it?

 

40 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I'm pretty busy next week with a summer class starting and we're interviewing candidates for a position, but I can work on it later in the week

 

Danielle • 40 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I could help with it. I just don't really know what to write. Are we just gathering possible questions to ask the members?

 

Rachel • 40 mins

 

 

 
Yes.  Could you just start it, Rachel, and then we will all chime in.  It shouldn't be longer that a page.

 

39 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Maybe we just have a few statements that we've brainstormed like "I would like to know more about the ALSC elections process" and participants could check yes or no

 

Danielle • 39 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
I will have to sit this one out. I will have sporadic Internet access for the next few weeks

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 39 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Sure. How do I get it into the Education Committee folder? I think I have view only access where I can't add a new Doc....

 

Rachel • 38 mins

 

 

 
That's okay, Nicholle.

 

38 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
And then an open-ended question where we can ask for additional topics and ideas

 
I can try to figure that out and get you added as an editor, Rachel

 

Danielle • 38 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
ok. I can probably make it in mine and then transfer it or upload

 

Rachel • 37 mins

 

 

 
Yes.  I think that you could do that.

 
Danielle, do you want to discuss meeting times going forward?

 

37 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Sure

 
About a month ago, I emailed the new committee to get a sense of which days and times would work best

 
And earlier this week I emailed a short survey asking new committee members to select from a variety of day and time possibilities

 
So far there are two days and times that work for everybody, but not all committee members have responded

 
In the next week or two I will need to select a day/time so we can at least have our July meeting set

 

Danielle • 34 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
In case you mean me, I emailed you a couple hours ago. I was waiting for the new schedule because we just hired 3 people. I can pretty much make everything but i sent you my preferences

 

Rachel • 34 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
THank you! There is a new committee member who hasn't responded yet

 
She did not reply to my original email for several weeks, so I'm a little concerned that she hasn't responded to the survey request yet

 

Danielle • 33 mins

 

 

 
Do you have the correct email for her?

 

32 mins

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I've gotta run. I'll wait to hear about the July meeting date and I hope to see some of you at Annual.

 

Angela • 32 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yes, I believe so.  She did reply to me eventually but took a long time to do so

 

Danielle • 32 mins

 

 

 
Yes.  I hope to see you as well, Angela.

 
Is there anything else that we need to cover?

 

32 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I can't think of anything

 

Danielle • 31 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Are we doing the 2nd week of july instead to avoid the holiday?

 

Rachel • 31 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
We probably should

 
I like having meetings the first week of the month, it's easy to remember

 
But we should definitely shift things around for July 4th week

 

Danielle • 30 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
cool. so you'll let us know

 

Rachel • 30 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yes, I will be in touch next week

 

Danielle • 29 mins

 

 

 
Thanks everyone.  It has been a pleasure serving with all of you.

 

29 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
you too!

 

Rachel • 29 mins

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Thank you, Margaret! You will be missed!

 

Danielle • 29 mins

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
All the best

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 28 mins

 

 

 
Thanks very much.  I will still be around.

 
Have a great weekend everyone.

 

28 mins

 

 3 new messages 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
You too!

 

Danielle • 27 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
bye!

 

Rachel • 27 mins

 

Rachel Reinwald

nicholleplante1@gmail.com

 

 
Have a great weekend

 

nicholleplante1@gmail.com • 27 mins

 

 

More...

Online Doc Summary of June 2 meeting

by Margaret Tice on Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 03:32 pm

  • Thanks to everyone who could attend.
  • We approved the Makerspace proposal.  I agreed to contact Christian and Kristen.
  • Danielle will summarize our feedback and reach out to Marianne Rodriguez Dolce about the Nurturing Empathy proposal.
  • Rachel will summarize our feedback and reach out to Katie Scherrer about the Yoga proposal.  For both of these proposals, we are wondering if webinars would be better, but we will see if they can respond to our suggestions and come back with an acceptable course proposal.
  • Question for Kristen:  Is it easy to show a video within a webinar?
  • Danielle reached out to the presenter re the Plum Landing proposal and the presenter is trying to find a librarian to co-present with her.  She will follow up if she doesn't hear back from her in a few weeks.
  • We have a response for the Research to Practice Webinar series. Diane Hamilton is putting together a proposal about post modern picture books.
  • We brainstormed ideas for a webinar on Getting Involved with ALSC.  We would like to submit a survey to the membership on what they would like to know about and also have it at the ALSC booth at ALA.  Rachel will start a Google Doc and we will all add to it to get it done asap.
  • Danielle has sent a survey out to the committee members re meeting times going forward.  She wants to continue meeting the first of the month, except for July.
  • I will post the transcript on ALA Connect.
More...

File ALSC-Education-Committee-Transcript

by Margaret Tice on Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 09:52 pm

DOCX File, 72.79 KB

Online Doc Transcript of January 6, 2017 Meeting

by Margaret Tice on Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 08:55 am

 

 

 
hello

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:00 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Happy New Year, Everybody!

 

 

 

 
hello

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:00 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Happy New Year, Everybody!

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:00 PM

 

 

 
Cute.

 

Jan 6, 3:01 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
hello!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:01 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Hello!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:01 PM

 

 

 
Okay. We can start.  Happy New Year Everyone.  Let's start with Kiristen and the Needs assessment update.

 

Jan 6, 3:02 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Hi, all. It turns out I'll be on public transit for most of this meeting so please excuse any failure to keep up or chime in.

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:02 PM

 

 

 
No problem Angela.

 

Jan 6, 3:02 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Thank you all for your help updating the needs assessment survey. It'll be sent out to membership on Tuesday, and will be open until Feb. 24.

 
If you have any other listservs or places you'd like to post the survey, please feel free to do so! It's not just open to members.

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:03 PM

 

 

 
That's good to know, Kristen.

 

Jan 6, 3:03 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
That's all on that - just a quick update.

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:03 PM

 

 

 
Carole, thanks for your letter.  Do you want to start the discussion on it?

 

Jan 6, 3:04 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Sure.

 
I assume everyone received the first draft, and the most recent revision I sent?

 
I incorporated Kristen's suggestions.

 
If anyone else would like to make alterations, please feel free to keep it going in an email chain.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yes, I received it

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

 

 
I think that it looks great.

 

Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I can put it in a Google doc if that is better.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I thought the revision looked great!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I really like it.

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:05 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
looked good

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:06 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I agree! It was well-written

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:06 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Great! I guess it's ready to go then, unless we want to wait to send it until after we have the final details on when our own committee's webinar will take place.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:06 PM

 

 

 
What do you think, Kristen?

 

Jan 6, 3:07 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I think we can wait to send it until we have details about the webinar. It's looking like it'll take place sometime in February. We're just trying to find a date/time that works for everyone.

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:07 PM

 

 

 
Okay.  It's good to have it ready to go.  So let's talk about the Education webinar.

 

Jan 6, 3:08 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
We have the presentation prepared, and Rachel, Barbara, and I have gone through it to decide who is going to discuss what slide

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:08 PM

 

 

 
Wonderful.

 

Jan 6, 3:08 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
All we have to do now is to determine a date and time that works for everyone.  I thought it might be best to figure that out now because it's easier to do it in real time than over email

 
Kristen, do you have any insights on days of the week or times that tend to be best for members in terms of attending webinars?

 
Or do people make time if they want to attend the webinar?

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:09 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
The week of the 21st is good for me. I can only do Tuesdays after 11am.

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:10 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I would suggest steering clear of Friday,and doing sometime between the hours of 11am CT and 2pm CT (as the start time) so it can accommodate all time zones

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:10 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
OK!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:10 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I meant, if it's Tuesday, only after 11am

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:10 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
What about Tuesday, Feb. 21st at 1:00 PM Central/ 2:00 PM Eastern?

 
I'm not sure if Barbara is here, but she said Tuesdays are good days for her

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
We already have a webinar on Feb 21st, so let's steer clear of that date

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Oh sorry, I didn't realize that!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Here. Sorry im late

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

 

 
No worries.

 

Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I can do the 28th at 1pm...

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:11 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Yes Tuesdays are good

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:12 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
That works for me too

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:12 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
that works for the ALSC schedule

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:12 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Barbara, what about you? Does Feb. 28th at 1:00/2:00 work for you?

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:12 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Yes

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:12 PM

 

 

 
Is that 1 pm CT?

 

Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Super! Well, looks like we have a date if that's OK with everyone 
 

 
Yes, 1:00 Central and 2:00 Eastern

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
2pm eastern?

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Are we going to go over later software/hardware requirements and such?

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Ok. I believe I am due to go off the committee soon

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Great! I can get registration set up on Monday (it's just a survey monkey form since it's free) and we can start promoting it

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Rachel, I'm going to let Kristen answer that one - I haven't done an ALSC webinar before

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:13 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
There's no special software required - just an internet browser. If you don't have a headset with microphone, let me know and I can mail you one to borrow.

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:14 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
I dont have one

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:14 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
We'll set up a rehearsal as well - for just 30 min - to walk through the platform and make sure everyone's headsets work

 
If you need a headset, please send me an email with your mailing address and I'll send one out to you next week

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:15 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I have a USB headset but I don't know if it works at work right now, so I might bring in a laptop but it's a Mac. Does that matter?

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:15 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Nope, Mac and PC are both fine

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:15 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
is there any way I can test my current headset

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:15 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
A rehearsal would be great

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:15 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Sure - I can set up a time with you offline to test, Rachel

 
Shoot me an email with some dates next week that might work for you - it should only take a few minutes

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:16 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
ok

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:16 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
You will seed one to me, right?

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:16 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Barbara, you need to send me an email with your mailing address and I'll be happy to send you one

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:16 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Send it to you Kristen?

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:17 PM

 

 

 
Thank you, everyone, for your work on this webinar.

 

Jan 6, 3:17 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Yes

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:17 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I'm looking forward to it! I hope it results in lots of new proposals

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:17 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Also, committee appointments end in June, so if you're rolling off, it wouldn't be until after Annual

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:17 PM

 

 

 
Kristen, can we promote the webinar at ALSC leadership during Midwinter?

 

Jan 6, 3:18 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
I wasn't sure. Thanks

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:18 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Yes, definitely. I'll ask Dan to add it to the slide deck

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:18 PM

 

 

 
That's great.  Anything else about our webinar?

 

Jan 6, 3:19 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I don't have anything to add

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:19 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Yes

 
Do you want me to put what I'm saying in the notes area or no?

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:19 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
That's up to you, Rachel

 
If it helps you, you are welcome to modify the presentation notes as you see fit

 
I might do the same

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:20 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
I might also. But we pretty much go with what's on the slide, correct?

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:21 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yes, that's right, but if you want to script out what you intend to say in the notes section, please feel free to do so.

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:21 PM

 

 

 
Let's move one to the webinar proposal that was sent to us this last month about family engagement.  Any comments?

 

Jan 6, 3:21 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I thought it looked good! I didn't see anything I want to change

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:22 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I liked it as well.

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:22 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
It seems to be right in line with the kind of thing we've been looking for regarding that topic.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:22 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I liked it and I liked how it also focused on social/emotional standards

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:23 PM

 

 

 
I agree.  I'll contact the presenter that we are accepting the proposal.

 
Now where are we with the listacle?

 

Jan 6, 3:24 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Can you remind me of the thinking about it

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:25 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I added about 4 (I think) items when I created it. I'm not sure if anyone else has added to it since I last checked.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:25 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I tried adding to it, but I couldn't think of anything.  I thought you made some really good points, Carole

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
can you post the link again on here?

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Thanks!

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/125o3wjdIkeKqQX3-FC9tOby2St6bKyGOZngkIc04s6g/edit

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Sure, Rachel, let me check.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I was insanely busy at work so haven't gotten to it. But we could probably add a few things now

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I had it pulled up

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:26 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
for webinars... people will see you face?

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:27 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Sorry, my bad -- I just realized you created it Danielle!  
 

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:27 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
its takes a lot of time: it doesn't really because once you set up the moodle you don't really have to do it again, just change small things

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:27 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I was just the first to add to it.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:27 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I couldn't remember who created it, I just had it open on my screen already so I had the link handy 
 

 
I like that, Rachel!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:28 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Agreed - that's a good one.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:28 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
And for webinars, you're really only preparing a 45 minute talk and some slides (with 15 minutes for questions).  It's not too time-consuming

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:29 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
if you split it with people, it's about 15 minutes each, which is similar to presenting at conferences, but you don't have to stand there and have people stare at you

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:29 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
I took a look. Good points made already

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:30 PM

 

 

 
All good points.  How would we make it look appealing graphically?

 

Jan 6, 3:31 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I agree, Rachel - it being time consuming is a good one

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:31 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
oh I don't know, I'm bad at graphics

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:31 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Were we thinking we would find an image or small video clip to go with each point?

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:31 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Our last "listicle" was the Star Wars one, correct? With the GIFs?

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:32 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
We could also say "it has to be brand new content". If they're already presented it at another conference, even an ALSC conference, they're welcome to present the content again through our CE

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:32 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think you're right, Carole

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:32 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Yes, Carole!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:32 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I'm sure we could find some funny GIFs that would work regarding concepts like "time", "tech wizardry", etc.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:32 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Good point Kristen

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Love that idea!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I like the idea, Kristen -- especially since we've had some very good past webinar proposals where people built upon previous work they'd presented.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Maybe we could share the work on that - we could each take an item on the listsicle and find a GIF to go with it

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

 

 
That sounds good.

 

Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I'll take: "you don't have to do it alone"

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:33 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
What is GIF

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
What about "Not many people will benefit" - we could say that 300-400 people sign up for webinars, and that even more access the archives. 

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I'll take "you have to be an expert," the first one

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I'll take "tech wizard".

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a quick video that runs in a loop so you see the actions in the video repeated over and over

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

 

 
I'll take Kristen's idea about you have to have new content.

 

Jan 6, 3:34 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Another good one, Kristen. I think it's really good to emphasize the archives, too, because even if someone does a presentation where not a lot of people sign up, it could still be really valuable for many people over time.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:35 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I like that idea, too

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:36 PM

 

 

 
Yes.  Should we have a unifying theme for the GIFs?

 

Jan 6, 3:37 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
That would be great but may be hard to find GIFs

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:37 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I think it would be.  I suppose we could try to make sure they are all pretty easily recognizable pop culture items ...

 
Not that a GIF of a non-famous person (or cat) couldn't be really funny!

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:38 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Yeah, pop culture is a pretty broad theme so it could work in terms of finding good GIFs

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:38 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
But I think the pop culture hook is always fun.

 
And yes, more GIFs probably.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:38 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
I'm having a hard time following on my phone. If there's a gif still needed, just assign it to me!

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:39 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
What does gif stand for

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:39 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Can we use any GIF we find online? Or do you have to have special permission to use a GIF? I'm not sure what the rules/norms are

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Graphics Interchange Format.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
If I recall correctly, for the Star Wars one, we just gave credit underneath the gif

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Thanks

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
OK! Thanks

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I think that's what we did.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:40 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Kind of like what buzzfeed does

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:41 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
I always worry about that stuff, but I think in the age of social media, it's just not much of a "thing" to post images like that.

 
I should look for our Star Wars list on the blog and re-share it as a refresher.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:41 PM

 

 

 
Danielle, could you add the ideas that we have come up with to the list and then we can go on the document and sign up for which one(s) we want to work on?

 
That's a good idea, Carole.

 

Jan 6, 3:42 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
It looks like someone already has!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:42 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
I added them

 
sorry

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:42 PM

 

 

 
Okay. I don't have the document open right now.  Thanks, Rachel.

 

Jan 6, 3:42 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
That's helpful! Thank you, Rachel!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:43 PM

 

 

 
I think we should try to find some fun things and work with each other and share where we are at out next meeting.  I don't want each of us to worry about a finished product right away.

 

Jan 6, 3:44 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
That sounds like a good plan

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:44 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2016/01/the-competencies-awaken/

 
Doesn't look like there are credits.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:45 PM

 

Cindy Welch

 

 
Thanks, Carole.  Who is going to be at Midwinter?

 

Jan 6, 3:45 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday for sure

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:46 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Once again have to sit it out ... maybe one day ...

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:46 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
I will not be there either

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:46 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
Nope.

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:46 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Not me. :-(

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:46 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I'll be there 
 

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:47 PM

 

 

 
Okay, so Danielle and I can talk with each other about our schedules and see if we can cover both the ALSC meeting and the Education Assembly.

 
Kristen, it will be good to see you in person.

 

Jan 6, 3:47 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Works for me!

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:47 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Agreed!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:47 PM

 

 

 
Does everyone know that Sophie felt that she had to resign because of the time committment?

 

Jan 6, 3:48 PM

 

Carole C

 

 
Oh, that's too bad -- I hadn't heard.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:48 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
No

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:48 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Bummer

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:49 PM

 

 

 
Kristen, can we ask for another committee member or should we just wait for another appointment after Annual?

 

Jan 6, 3:49 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I've let Andrew Medlar know that we'd like to fill her position (he's making appointments while Betsy is away on medical leave). But unfortunately, there are other committees with more urgent needs than ours, so I would be surprised if her slot is filled before Annual.

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:50 PM

 

 

 
That's what I thought.  I think that we will be okay.

 

Jan 6, 3:50 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
I think so too. We'll miss Sophie, but this is a very strong group and we've done excellent work so far!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:51 PM

 

 

 
Another great meeting.  Is there anything else that we need to discuss?

 

Jan 6, 3:51 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Nothing that I can think of

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Angela Moffett

 

 
Thanks everyone. I'm going to hop off now. Happy new year!

 

Angela • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

 

 
nope

 

Rachel • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Rachel Reinwald

Carole C

 

 
Not that I can think of. Stay warm, everyone -- it's even snowing here in Texas today.

 

Carole • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Carole C

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Thanks, everyone! Happy New Year!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

 

 
We had some snow, but it's gone now.  Thanks everyone.

 

Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Barbara Spears

 

 
Happy new year to all

 

Barbara • Jan 6, 3:52 PM

 

Barbara Spears

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
Same for Georgia! We're getting a few inches tonight 
 

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:53 PM

 

Kristen Sutherland

 

 
Stay warm!

 

Kristen • Jan 6, 3:53 PM

 

 

 
Danielle, I'll look up the Education Assembly and find out when the meeting is going to be.

 
+

 

Jan 6, 3:53 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
I think it's 10:30 to 11:30 on Saturday, I have it on my calendar

 
I don't know when the ALSC meeting is, though

 

Danielle • Jan 6, 3:54 PM

 

 

 
Okay.  The ALSC meeting is at the same time, but I think that it starts earlier.  I'll find out.

 
We will talk soon via email.  Have a good weekend.

 

Jan 6, 3:55 PM

 

Danielle Hartsfield

 

 
You too! Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you and Kristen in person!

 

More...

File Meeting-Transcript-Sept--2016

by Margaret Tice on Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 02:56 pm

DOCX File, 67.38 KB

File 2014-December-Qtrly-Report-Education

by Nina Lindsay on Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 09:55 am

DOCX File, 16.43 KB

File ALSC-Education-Committee-Transcript-June-10--2016

by Margaret Tice on Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 08:12 pm

DOCX File, 77.47 KB

Pages

To review the elements considered essential to the formal academic continuing education of children’s librarians. To inform the ALSC Board of members’ needs and concerns regarding continuing education, and to assist in the initiation of programs and new publications to meet these needs and concerns. To be responsible for periodic review of ALSC Competencies. To represent ALSC at appropriate ALA committees, councils, and assemblies, and to serve as a liaison to these bodies as directed by the ALSC Board.

Subscribe to ALSC Education Committee