Syndicate content

ACRL STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee (Science and Technology Section) Committee

In: ACRL STS (Science and Technology Section), Cataloging, Guidelines and Standards
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc Minutes Science Resources: Discovery and Access Committee's meeting 6/24/17 during 2017 ALA Annual

by Angela Davis on Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Attached are the meeting minutes from the Science Resources: Discovery and Access Committee meeting at ALA Annual 2017.

Online Doc Agenda of the Meeting, Annual 2015: ACRL STS Science Resources: Discovery & Acces Committee

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 02:25 pm

(The agenda is also included as an attachment.)

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee will meet at the 2015 ALA Annual Conference as part of the All-Committees Meeting (ACRL STS).

 

The meeting is scheduled for the Hilton (Union Square) - Imperial A

Saturday, 27 June 2015

8:30 am - 10:00 am

 

Typically breakfast is offered as part of the STS event; remarks from STS officers will begin the program.

 

(The agenda is also included as an attachment.)

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee will meet at the 2015 ALA Annual Conference as part of the All-Committees Meeting (ACRL STS).

 

The meeting is scheduled for the Hilton (Union Square) - Imperial A

Saturday, 27 June 2015

8:30 am - 10:00 am

 

Typically breakfast is offered as part of the STS event; remarks from STS officers will begin the program.

 

ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

AGENDA 

 

            Topics                                                              approximate start time for item

  1. Introductions                                                                8:45 am
  2. Updates from STS Council                                              8:50 am
  3. Science Tips project                                                       9:00 am

-Recap

-Future posts

-Scheduling

-Blog plan

-Blog monitoring

-Blog administrator                                                                

  1. Other project ideas?                                                      9:30 am
  2. Next meeting/Midwinter planning                                   9:45 am
  3. Other topics?                                                                9:50 am
  4. Adjourn                                                                       10:00 am

 

 

Jennifer Roach (jroach75@gmail.com) and Larayne Dallas (ldallas@austin.utexas.edu), co-chairs.  Angela Davis will succeed Larayne as co-chair after the Annual Conference. 

Membership for 2014-2015 may be found at:  http://www.ala.org/acrl/sts/acr-stssba and for 2015-2016 at: http://www.ala.org/acrl/sts/acr-stssba?year=2015.

 

More...

Online Doc Minutes of the (virtual) Midwinter 2014 meeting

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 08:26 am

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)

Science and Technology Section (STS)

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Minutes of the Midwinter meeting

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)

Science and Technology Section (STS)

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Minutes of the Midwinter meeting

3 February 2014

Via conference call

 

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee met (via conference call) on February 3, 2014 (Monday).

 

All members of the committee were present:  Amanda L. Whitmire, Jennifer W. Roach, Carolyn Rauber, Khue D. Duong, Laura L. Barnes, Sandra Barclay, Betty Landesman (co-chair), and Larayne Dallas (co-chair and recorder)

 

Introductions:  The meeting began with members introducing themselves.

 

Updates from STS Council 1:  Betty Landesman and Larayne Dallas shared highlights from the STS Council 1 meeting, which was held in-person during the 2014 ALA Midwinter Conference in Philadelphia (2014).  These included a call for committee volunteers and especially a call for volunteers to serve on the Program Committee for ALA Annual in San Francisco (2015).  Of particular note:  Elizabeth Berman is asking for volunteers to work on STS social media efforts.  The Oberly Award is again facing funding challenges; ALA representatives have asked for more money to back the award. 

 

MARC Advisory Committee:  Sandra Barclay, STS’s representative to the international MARC Advisory Committee, reported on the group’s discussions at ALA Midwinter.  She described in-depth and careful consideration of issues related to the MARC format.

 

Committee Status and Webpages:  Members briefly discussed the committee’s history and charge.  Conversation turned to the committee’s webpages and a need for updates.  Betty offered to provide a summary of recent committee activities.  Larayne will submit that summary and also a request for correction of the committee roster.  The lack of recent minutes posted to the committee’s site was noted.  Larayne will check ALA Connect and, if necessary, with Margaret Mellinger, past committee co-chair, to try to find minutes to post on the committee’s pages.

 

Past Projects / New Projects:  Betty described the committee’s work as collaborative, including an effort in coordination with the ACRL/STS Publisher/Vendor Relations Discussion Group.  Members briefly discussed updating “Essential Readings in e-Science,” a committee-produced article that was published in 2011.  Discussion indicated a preference for taking on a new project.  Additional discussion brought the group to a new topic for exploration.  The proposed project would center on sources for open data.  The product of the project would (probably) be a guide to help librarians and others find data for use in research, school assignments, and exploration.  Further, the plan was to compile a list of lists.  Two examples of the type of product include Data.gov and Databib.org.  Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship (ISTL) was suggested as a logical way to disseminate the product. 

 

 To advance project planning, members decided to share ideas by e-mail and work toward a final definition of the project as well as a structure which would allow a division of tasks among the members.  Larayne would send a follow-up message asking for comments on the proposal and for strategies to assist in division of labor.  Members agreed to a comment period of two weeks, following receipt of the request for comments.

 

Another meeting?  Members expressed a preference for continuing work using e-mail, rather than planning another conference-call meeting or using ALA Connect.

 

More...

Online Doc 2015 Midwinter (Chicago) Minutes of the Meeting of the ACRL/STS Science Resources Committee

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 08:17 am

American Library Association (ALA)

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)

Science and Technology Section (STS)

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Midwinter Conference

Chicago Sheraton, Ballroom 2

3 January 2015; 8:30 am

 

American Library Association (ALA)

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)

Science and Technology Section (STS)

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Midwinter Conference

Chicago Sheraton, Ballroom 2

3 January 2015; 8:30 am

 

Present:  Jennifer Roach (co-chair), Angela Davis, Larayne Dallas (co-chair & recorder), Lori Neuerburg (visitor)

Away (members were not expected to attend):  Amanda Whitmire, Sandra Barclay, Laura Barnes, Joshua Bishoff, Khue Duong, Carolyn Bishoff

 

Discussions:

Committee member attendance at the Midwinter Conference was optional but those present at the STS All-Committee meeting gathered for conversation.  A virtual meeting to include as many members as possible was planned for February or early March.  *Jennifer agreed to poll members and arrange a meeting time.*

Discussion focused on the concern that the committee’s charge had not led members to productive committee work.  This had continued over at least two years.  A review of earlier years showed some ambitious projects, including an annotated bibliography and a journal article.  Questions included:  What problem are we trying to solve?  Where does this committee fit among the other STS committees?  If we give up on the current charge, what takes its place?

Suggested answers included:  To promote information on science resources.  To join in (on science resource topics) on chat sessions with the Information Literacy Committee.

Members of the small group saw merit in writing small pieces (three paragraphs or so) to highlight a resource, or to provide a tip for discovery and access. These could be posted on STS-L periodically.

The charge seemed fine if stripped down to the first sentence:  To provide a forum for exchange of information relating to discovery of and access to science and technology resources.

*Larayne agreed to request removal from the STS webpages of an instance of an incorrect version of the current charge.  She also (still) needed to follow up on posting older minutes to the webpages.*

Marianne Stowell Bracke, chair of STS, stopped by to give a reminder about committee membership and the up-coming period of appointments.  She particularly encouraged a current member to volunteer to serve as in-coming co-chair.

The agenda for the more inclusive Midwinter committee meeting (the virtual meeting) was set to have this tentative agenda:

-Discussion of a modified charge

-Discussion of a possible project involving tips for discovery and access.

-Report on website updates.

-Encourage a volunteer for co-chair

-Check with Sandra on MARC Liaison work.

More...

Online Doc Agenda and Minutes of the Post-Annual 2014 (virtual) meeting of the ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 08:08 am

9/25/2014 update from Larayne Dallas:  To join the October 6 conference call, please use this telephone number: (512)-471-0099.

------------------

 

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee meeting is scheduled (via conference call)

- October 6, 2014 (Monday)

- at 4:00 pm EDT (3pm CDT, 2pm MDT; 1pm PDT)

This is an open meeting and we welcome those interested in participating.

9/25/2014 update from Larayne Dallas:  To join the October 6 conference call, please use this telephone number: (512)-471-0099.

------------------

 

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee meeting is scheduled (via conference call)

- October 6, 2014 (Monday)

- at 4:00 pm EDT (3pm CDT, 2pm MDT; 1pm PDT)

This is an open meeting and we welcome those interested in participating.

For information necessary to call in to the meeting, please contact Larayne Dallas at ldallas@austin.utexas.edu or (512)-495-4503.  Committee members and others expressing an interest will receive the phone number (which is not yet assigned) in advance of the meeting.  

Agenda Topics                                                             

  1. Introductions                                                             
  2. Discussion of the document... Identifying barriers to discovery and access  
  3. Assignments to members                                          
  4. Adjourn                                                                      

Larayne Dallas (ldallas@austin.utexas.edu) and Jennifer Roach (jroach75@gmail.com), co-chairs

More...

Discussion 2011 Annual Minutes

by Jack Maness on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 07:55 am

Online Doc 2010 Annual Meeting Minutes (Washington, DC)

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 07:38 am

Attached are the minutes from our 2010 Annual meeting in Washignton, DC.

Online Doc Announcement, Agenda, and Minutes of the Post-Midwinter Meeting of the ACRL STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

by Larayne Dallas on Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 02:04 pm

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee meeting is scheduled to meet (via conference call)

-March 4, 2014 (Wednesday)

-at 4:00 pm ET

 

This is an open meeting and we welcome those interested in participating.  To join the meeting:

-call 1-(512)-232-8670

-when asked if the chairperson, bypass by selecting # (the pound key)

-when prompted for the access code, enter:  6543201

-enter: #

 

 

 

The ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee meeting is scheduled to meet (via conference call)

-March 4, 2014 (Wednesday)

-at 4:00 pm ET

 

This is an open meeting and we welcome those interested in participating.  To join the meeting:

-call 1-(512)-232-8670

-when asked if the chairperson, bypass by selecting # (the pound key)

-when prompted for the access code, enter:  6543201

-enter: #

 

 

 

Agenda for the Meeting of the ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

 

            Topics                                                              approximate start time for item

  1. Introductions                                                              (4:00      pm ET)
  2. Updates from STS Council                                            (4:05      pm)
  3. Committee history, charge, and background                  (4:15      pm)
  4. Report on Midwinter discussions                                   (4:20      pm)
  5. What next?       Charge?                                              (4:25      pm)
  6. What next?  Project(s)?                                               (4:35      pm)
  7. Assignments to members                                             (4:50      pm)
  8. Adjourn                                                                      (4:59      pm ET)

 

 

Jennifer Roach (jroach75@gmail.com) and Larayne Dallas (ldallas@austin.utexas.edu), co-chairs

 

 

 

American Library Association (ALA)

Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)

Science and Technology Section (STS)

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Minutes of the post-Midwinter meeting

4 March 2015 at 4:00 pm Eastern Time

Via conference call

 

Attendance:

Members:  Sandra Barclay (away), Laura Barnes (away), Carolyn Bishoff, Joshua Bishoff, Larayne Dallas (recorder), Angela Davis, Khue Duong, Jennifer Roach, Amanda Whitmire,

Visitors: Catherine Johnson (cjohnson2@laverne.edu) and Kelly Johnson (kelly.johnson@nyu.edu).

 

 

Introductions and a note.  The meeting began with attendees introducing themselves.  Sandra Barclay, though unable to attend the meeting, had sent a written report as STS Liaison to the MARC Advisory Committee and that is included here.

 

STS Council.  Co-chair Jennifer Roach followed introductions with an update on topics from the Science and Technology Section (STS) Council meetings.  These topics included:

-PLOS (Public Library of Science) will host STS members at ALA Annual 2015 in San Francisco.  Information had been going out on the STS members e-mail list. 

-Volunteer assignments were expected in the near future.  Jennifer shared a reminder that an invitation must be accepted to confirm the appointment.

 

Committee Background and Looking Ahead.

Jennifer talked about the committee’s charge and about past projects, including working as a committee to prepare content for publication.  She then spoke of recent challenges finding a meaningful committee project.  She noted also the likely difficulty of working as a committee on a project requiring as much coordination as an article.

In the recent past, initial excitement over projects has faded.  Some members began to feel strongly about the need to change the committee’s charge but feedback from STS leadership has encouraged caution concerning a change to the charge. 

Three committee members met in Chicago for the on-site ALA Midwinter Conference.  They had the idea of promoting the use of science resources by offering tips (of a few paragraphs on a limited topic) to other sci/tech library staff.  Angela Davis suggested that a blog or some other tool should be used to collect and save the tips.  For ideas of what subjects to tackle in the tips, she advised looking to the list compiled by members in the summer and early fall of 2013.  Other ideas might be generated from the daily work of committee members.  

Responding to uncertainty from members who had missed the earlier discussion, Jennifer agreed to prepare materials describing the proposal so that the parameters would be clarified.  She planned to write a description of the planned effort, link to the document from the summer, and then send a message to members.  She hoped to quickly prepare the mailing and then allow about a week to hear back from members with their questions.  Angela would meanwhile explore options for curation.

 

Working with the Committee’s Web Page and Connect Pages.  Co-chair Larayne Dallas mentioned continuing efforts to correctly post minutes to the committee’s webpages and thanked the STS web masters for working quickly to update an error with a posted version of the committee’s charge. 

 

-------------------

Report to ACRL/STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Submitted by Sandra Barclay, Kennesaw State University, March 2, 2015

 

The MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) met twice during the ALA Midwinter Conference (Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2015) to consider 6 proposals and 1 discussion paper relating to MARC changes. All proposals and the discussion paper were approved.

Proposal 2015-01 was submitted by the British Library proposed defining indicator 1 in field 037 Source of Acquisition, and 2 new subfields. This will allow a better exchange of metadata for electronic serials with vendors.   The first indicator will be blank when no information is provided.  Indicator 1 will be 2 Intervening – to be used when source changes, and 3 – Current/Latest – used to reflect the most current data.  Subfield 3 will be used for Materials specified to record details of the serial parts.  Subfield 5 will be used to record the Institution.

Proposal 2015-2 was submitted by the British Library. They proposed adding and changing subfields with dates of establishment and termination of a corporate body in the Authority field 046.    $q and $r will be added for the Establishment date of the corporate body and the termination date of the corporate body, respectively.  $s will be changed from Start Period to Earliest Known date in a period of activity.  $t will be changed from End Period to Latest date in a period of activity.

Proposal 2015-3 was submitted by the Library of Congress.  LC proposed a new field 884 Description Conversion Information to retain information about the conversion history of a record.  Data about the conversion process, date, identifier of the source metadata, agency, and URI can be retained here.

Proposal 2015-4 was submitted by ARLIS (Alaska Resources Library and Information Services. This proposal discussed changing the usage of field 088 to include series numbers. 

Proposal 2015-5 was submitted by the British Library.  This proposal suggests a change in the MFHD field 008/07 (Method of acquisition) to include code q for materials acquired through lease.

Proposal 2015-6 was submitted by the Music Library Association.  They proposed adding a new subfield to Field 382 (Medium of Performance) to be able to code the number of ensembles.  In this field, $n can be used to code the number of performers, and $e will be added to code the number of ensembles.

Discussion Paper 2015-DP01 was presented by the Canadian Committee on MARC (CCM) to discuss recording RDA format of notated music in a field other than a general 500 note field.  They suggested a 33X or 348 field for this or perhaps a 5XX.  This may come forward as a proposal.

More...

Event Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee Meeting (part of All-Committees Meeting) (ACRL STS)

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:31 am

Meeting of the Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee as part of the All-Committees Meeting of STS.

Online Doc Minutes of the Meeting - Annual 2014 - ACRL STS Science Resources

by Larayne Dallas on Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 02:15 pm

American Library Association

Association of College and Research Libraries

Science and Technology Section

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Minutes of the Meeting

Held as part of the STS All-Committees Meeting at the 2014 Annual Conference in Las Vegas

Saturday, 28 June 2014

8:30 am - 10:00 am

American Library Association

Association of College and Research Libraries

Science and Technology Section

Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee

Minutes of the Meeting

Held as part of the STS All-Committees Meeting at the 2014 Annual Conference in Las Vegas

Saturday, 28 June 2014

8:30 am - 10:00 am

LVH (Las Vegas Hotel) - Pavilion 09

  

 

Members Present: Jennifer W. Roach (in-coming co-chair), Larayne J. Dallas (co-chair and recorder)

 

Guests: (in-coming member) Angela Davis, Ken Lin, Alana Verminski, Ibi (Ronke) Lawal

 

Members not able to attend: Sandra Barclay, Laura L. Barnes, Khue D. Duong, Betty Landesman (co-chair), Carolyn Rauber, Amanda L. Whitmire

 

Committee charge: To provide a forum for exchange of information relating to discovery of and access to science and technology resources. Serve as a channel/clearinghouse to identify concerns, problems, issues, trends, standards, and best practices. Propose projects and present them to the appropriate STS Committees.

 

Agenda topics:                                                      

  1. Introductions                                                             
  2. Updates from STS Council                                        
  3. Committee webpages and work promised                 
  4. Still trying to find next projects                                 
  5. Assignments to members                                           
  6. Next meeting/Midwinter planning                             
  7. Other topics?                                                              
  8. Adjourn                                                                      

 

Meeting Summary:

Attendance and Introductions: Members were disappointed that a lack of Internet access kept Amanda Whitmire from participating in the meeting (via FaceTime).  It was great to have in attendance in-coming member Angela Davis and three visitors, Ken Lin, Alana Verminski, and Ibi (Ronke) Lawal.

 

Updates from STS Council: Larayne noted a few topics from the Council discussion of the night before.  These included a reminder of the hearing at the conference on ACRL’s Information Literacy guidelines and a focus at the 2015 ACRL Conference on data management.  Also, members of each committee were asked to consider and report back their answer to this question: Does the committee need to meet face-to-face?  The conclusion was that this committee does not require face-to-face meetings, though we value face-to-face discussion. 

 

Web Pages and Promised Work: This part of the discussion concerned a status report from Larayne.  Members had previously determined that meeting minutes (from past years) should be copied from ALA Connect to the committee’s web pages.  Larayne said that she had not forgotten her promise to make that request.

 

Committee Projects: Committee members were looking for a good project.  For several months after the Midwinter (virtual) meeting, members attempted to form a project around the topic of encouraging and facilitating access to data sets.  Members learned from the effort but did not find a project to pursue.  Larayne reported on a pre-Annual conference call with Betty Landesman (committee co-chair) and Matt Marsteller (Chair of STS).  Hearing about discouragement on the committee, Matt had encouraged cooperative efforts with other STS groups. 

 

In discussing new work for the committee, these topics were mentioned:

Updating a guide previously produced by the committee

Advocating for improved interfaces for databases

Setting best practices

Working with other STS groups:

-ACLR/STS Scholarly Communications Committee

-ACRL/STS Publisher/Vendor Relations Discussion Group

-ACRL/STS Information Literacy Committee

Problematic open access providers

Integration with discovery services products

Setting long-term and short-term goals for discovery improvement.

Known problem-societies; that is, societies whose services fall below expected norms

Working around issues with publishers

Rewarding the better publishers

Identifying barriers to discovery and access was agreed upon as the topic to explore.  Jennifer proposed creating a Google Doc to collect the list of barriers.  The next step would be to group these to find themes and then to identify a group with which to work.  We also agreed on the need for a virtual meeting in the fall. 

 

Assignments and next meetings.  Jennifer agreed to create the Google doc and to invite contributions from participants, including the meeting guests and out-going members.  The plan was to set mid-August as the deadline for input.  Larayne would be responsible for arranging a virtual meeting in mid-September.  Members agreed to hold a Midwinter on-site meeting for those attending the conference.

More...

Pages

To provide a forum for exchange of information relating to discovery of and access to science and technology resources. Serve as a channel/clearinghouse to identify concerns, problems, issues, trends, standards, and best practices. Propose projects and present them to the appropriate STS Committees.

Subscribe to ACRL STS Science Resources: Discovery & Access Committee (Science and Technology Section)