Syndicate content

ALA Conference Committee Committee

In: ALA Governance, ALA Program Planning
View:   Faces | List

Discussion ALA Conference Remodel Proposal for Association-Wide Input

by Clara Bohrer on Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 04:49 pm

Dear ALA Leader—

Dear ALA Leader—

The ALA Conference Committee is seeking your feedback as we work to remodel the ALA Annual Conference.  Mary Ghikas, ALA’s Senior Associate Executive Director, in consultation with the Conference Committee/Conference Program Coordinating Team and with input from ALA conferences services, division staff and roundtable/ALA committee staff liaisons, has developed a remodel proposal for our upcoming 2018 Annual Conference in New Orleans.

 As we worked on its development, we had the following objectives in mind:

  • Create a more manageable and more easily navigable Annual Conference
  • Provide high-quality continuing education in content streams relevant to individuals from different types of libraries and in different specializations
  • Eliminate to the extent possible conflict between programs in the same content stream or during the same time periods
  • Provide peer-to-peer learning and networking aligned with contract streams through discussion/interest groups
  • Continue to provide an exceptional exhibition of products and services for the library community, as well as an opportunity for authors and librarians to interact
  • Provide integrated content information—including programs and discussion groups, as well as interactions with authors and exhibitors
  • Support the governance of the Association by providing a venue for both essential governance meetings and collaborative work
  • Address attendee dissatisfaction with the spread-out campus by reducing campus size by approximately 50%
  • Control costs by reducing campus spread, eliminating or reducing room turns and increasing consistency in practice
  • Increase sustainability, both financial and environmental

The Conference Committee values your input.  We particularly encourage all units of the Association and affiliates who produce programming, hold discussion/interest groups, and/or hold meetings at Annual Conference to review the remodel proposal.  You may post your comments right here on the Conference Committee’s connect space. 

The Conference Committee feels this remodel provides a better conference experience for all participants, as well as long-term sustainability for our association.

 

Clara Bohrer, Chair

ALA Conference Committee

More...

Discussion FAQ on Conference Remodel Proposal

by Clara Bohrer on Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:40 am

ALA Leaders,

I am posting a FAQ on the Conference Remodel Proposal which provides more details and answers/addresses some of the questions and comments received to date.  I thank you for all the input.  The Conference Committee is finding it very informative and helpful. 

Clara Bohrer

Chair, ALA Conference Committee

Discussion What's Happening

by Mary Ghikas on Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:04 am

What's Happening is a curated, personal guide to the ALA Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference. Please feel free to share it with others.  If you have feedback, that's welcome, too.

Safe travels.  See you in Atlanta.

mg

Discussion Conference Remodel Proposal - Excel version

by Mary Ghikas on Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 09:26 am

Here is the conference remodel proposal in the original Excel version.  (There is no change in content, but this version may be easier for some individuals to read.)

 

 

Discussion ALA Conference Committee Report: 2015-2016, through Midwinter 2016

by Mary Ghikas on Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 04:50 pm

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, I am posting the following report:

 

ALA COMMITTEE REPORT

COMMITTEE:                               ALA Conference Committee (standing)

TIME PERIOD:                            2015-2016—Through Midwinter Meeting 2016

REPORT SUBMITTED BY:          Clara N. Bohrer, Chair, 2015-2016

 

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, I am posting the following report:

 

ALA COMMITTEE REPORT

COMMITTEE:                               ALA Conference Committee (standing)

TIME PERIOD:                            2015-2016—Through Midwinter Meeting 2016

REPORT SUBMITTED BY:          Clara N. Bohrer, Chair, 2015-2016

 

 ACTIVITIES OF THE COMMITTEE: (including the 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team)                       

 This report covers activities of the ALA Conference Committee on ALA Connect and at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting.

  • Reviewed the 2016 Annual Conference and 2017 Midwinter Meeting skeleton schedules for approval by the ALA Executive Board during the 2016 Midwinter Meeting.  The Committee made no changes to the schedules as presented.
  • Received an update from staff on the registration and budget targets for the 2016 Midwinter Meeting.
  • Received an update from staff on the move away from ALA Connect and the impact on the scheduler.  New scheduler is a work in progress and committee was asked to provide input on their experiences.
  • Received an update from staff on the use of the new integrated proposal-to-final program system which has increased efficiency and reduced error-prone repetitive data entry at difference stages.
  • Staff reported on existing contract language that helps to address the concerns of the Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.  The Committee will continue to reviews TF recommendations relevant to ALA conferences.  Invitations to speak at the 2016 ALA Annual Conference have been issued to several speakers recommended by the TF.
  • Discussed a potential upcoming Council resolution on accessibility of ALA conferences and meetings for people with disabilities.  Staff provided an update on current practices. The mover of the Council resolution provided some background.
    • After an hiatus,  a representative from ASCLA’s Accessibility Assembly  will be regularly appointed to the ALA Conference Committee by ASCLA.The committee had a discussion on accessibility issues at conferences and expressed interest in receiving an accessibility checklist relevant to conference planning.
  • Reviewed a list of potential Auditorium Series speakers and recommended preferred speakers to ALA Conference Services for 2016 Midwinter Meeting and 2016 Annual Conference.
  • Participated in voting for the Ignite sessions at the  2016 Midwinter Meeting.
  • Discussed the experience of implementing the "Deep Dives" pilot programming at the 2016 Midwinter Meeting.  Evaluations are being collected and will be reviewed by the Committee.
  • Discussed the process (preliminary, since subject to feedback from evaluations) for the next set of "Deep Dives" pilot programming at the 2017 Midwinter Meeting.
  • Heard a proposal from staff regarding a branding opportunity for the Midwinter Meeting with the Center for the Center for the Future of Libraries to offer program content with a focus on innovation and trends impacting libraries, both short and long term.
  • Reviewed and evaluated proposed Annual Conference 2106 programming to identify any major content gaps.

 

Next Face-to-Face Meetings:

  •  2016 Annual Conference—Saturday, June 25, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. 2016 & 2017 Conference Program Coordinating—Saturday, June 25, 10:30-11:30
  • Work will continue on ALA Connect between face-to-face meetings as needed.

 

 Face-to face meeting participants (MW 2016):

 ALA Conference Committee:  Clara Bohrer (chair), Sara Kelly Johns (Executive Board), Mary Hastler (Division Representative), Aaron Dobbs (Division Representative), Carla Land (Councilor-at-Large), Hannah Kyung Lee (Chapter Councilor), Martha Goddard (ASCLA Accessibility Assembly), Ken Stewart (Division Representative) Peter Hepburn, Mary Ghikas (staff), Alicia Navarro (staff)

 Conference Program Coordinating Team:  Alice Calabrese-Berry (United for Libraries), Katherine Louise Kan (YALSA Representative), Mary Pagliero Popp (RUSA Representative), Trisha Burns (PLA Representative), Evviva R. Weinraub (LITA Representative), Nikki Winslow (Round Tables Representative), Ken Stewart (AASL Representative), Mary Ghikas (staff), Alicia Navarro (staff)

More...

Discussion MW2016 Agenda

by Mary Ghikas on Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:37 am

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, here is the agenda for our meeting, as well as the 2016 CPCT,  in Boston:  (also as an attachment)

I

ALA Conference Committee, Saturday, January 9, 8:30-10:00am, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (BCEC) 259A

MW2016 Update

  -Registration and Budget Targets

  -IT Implementation Update (including Scheduler)

AC2016 Planning

  - TF on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: recommendation on contract language

  - Changes in Orlando since 2004

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, here is the agenda for our meeting, as well as the 2016 CPCT,  in Boston:  (also as an attachment)

I

ALA Conference Committee, Saturday, January 9, 8:30-10:00am, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (BCEC) 259A

MW2016 Update

  -Registration and Budget Targets

  -IT Implementation Update (including Scheduler)

AC2016 Planning

  - TF on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: recommendation on contract language

  - Changes in Orlando since 2004

  - Accessibility: Council resolution (MW2016), current status, Conference Committee membership

  - Sustainability: Council resolution (AC2015), current status

MW Future

  - Deep Dives

     > MW2016 experience

     > MW17 Proposal :  Coordination/Schedule, Recuitment/Call for Proposals, Jury Proces

  - Other Current Content Streams: News You Can Use, IGNITE!, Masters Series, Discussion Groups

  - Branding/Marketing Issue & Proposal

ALA Connect Change (IT) -- Spring 2016

 

II

ALA Conference Committee: 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team (CPCT), Saturday, January 9, 10:30-11:30am, BCEC 259A

Current 2016 ALA Annual Conference Submissions:  What's Missing?  What should be coordinated?

Major Speaker Status

Upcoming:

     -Conversation Starter Call/Jury Process

     -IGNITE! Session Call/Jury Process

ALA Connect Change (Spring 2016)

 

See you all soon.

 

mg

 

 

 

 

More...

Discussion Deep Dive program -- proposed process

by Mary Ghikas on Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 02:59 pm

Here is proposed process for the Deep Dive programs -- for the committee's discussion in San Francisco.  It does not differ materially from the version last posted in  your discussion stream.  It does incorporate the comments made by committee members.

I am posting as a public document at this time, so that others who may want to attend the meeting have access to the document.

Thanks, all.  See you soon.

mg

Discussion What's Happening - 2015 ALA Annual Conference

by Mary Ghikas on Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 01:57 pm

.... is posted as a public document in the ALA Council group: http://connect.ala.org/node/241661

See you all in a week.  Safe travels.

mg

 

Discussion ALA Conference Committee - Agenda

by Mary Ghikas on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 07:52 am

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Walter Betts, here is the agenda for the AC15 meeting, Saturday, June 27, 8:30-10:00am, Moscone Convention Center, North Building, 110.  The 2015 CPCT will meet in the same room, 10:30-11:30am.

 

On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Walter Betts, here is the agenda for the AC15 meeting, Saturday, June 27, 8:30-10:00am, Moscone Convention Center, North Building, 110.  The 2015 CPCT will meet in the same room, 10:30-11:30am.

 

  • Deep Dive programs --  Final Sign off on 2016 approach; 2017 implementation process (call & jury)
  • Update on 2015 Annual 
  • Update on 2016 Annual -- campus changes
  • Scheduler change for 2016 
  • Conference content system (scorecard) implementation update
  • Other

The updated list of conference sites is attached to this agenda.  No new sites are being considered at this conference.

 

More...

Discussion Chair's Report - 2014-2015, through MW2015

by Mary Ghikas on Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 02:22 pm

 

ALA COMMITTEE REPORT

COMMITTEE:  ALA Conference Committee (standing)

TIME PERIOD:  2014-2015 – through Midwinter 2015

REPORT SUBMITTED BY:  Walter Betts, Chair

ACTIVITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:   (including the 2015 Conference Program Coordinating Team)

This report covers activities in the ALA Conference Committee group on ALA Connect and at the 2015 ALA Midwinter Meeting:

 

ALA COMMITTEE REPORT

COMMITTEE:  ALA Conference Committee (standing)

TIME PERIOD:  2014-2015 – through Midwinter 2015

REPORT SUBMITTED BY:  Walter Betts, Chair

ACTIVITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:   (including the 2015 Conference Program Coordinating Team)

This report covers activities in the ALA Conference Committee group on ALA Connect and at the 2015 ALA Midwinter Meeting:

  • Based on discussion at AC2014 (Las Vegas), drafted a response to BARC regarding the proposed Council resolution on Midwinter Meeting programming, which was referred to BARC.  The ALA Conference Committee recommended against the resolution at this point, as it is currently written.
  • Based on discussion at AC2014, the ALA Conference Committee drafted a proposal for an alternative approach to MW programming, within the existing policy.  Based on further discussion and authorization at MW15, the ALA Conference Committee is developing a pilot project (“deep dive” or intensive programs) for implementation not later than MW17 (Atlanta).  Implementation at MW16 (Boston) is preferred and feasibility is currently being explored.
  • Reviewed proposal modifications to the AC2015 (San Francisco) skeleton schedule for approval by the ALA Executive Board.  Modifications are designed to facilitate conference activities during the Pride Parade on Sunday.
  • Reviewed the proposed skeleton schedule for the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting and 2016 ALA Annual Conference, for approval by the ALA Executive Board during the 2015 ALA Midwinter Meeting.
  • Received updates from ALA staff on the 2015 Midwinter Meeting and 2015 ALA Annual Conference preparations.
  • Received an update from ALA staff on implementation (2015) of an integrated proposal-to-final-program system to eliminate costly and error-prone repetitive data entry at different stages.
  • Reviewed a list of potential Auditorium Series speakers and recommended preferred speakers to ALA Conference Services (2015 CPCT).
  • Reviewed and supported the Idea Box proposal (Mike Marlin, SRRT), for implementation at the 2015 AC.  ALA Conference Services will work on implementation.
  • Reviewed and evaluated proposed AC2015 programming to identify an major content gaps. (2015 CPCT)

Next Face-to-Face Meetings:

  • Work will continue in ALA Connect (both ALA Conference Committee and the 2015 Conference Program Coordinating Team). 
  • The next scheduled face-to-face meetings will be at the 2015 ALA Annual Conference:
    • ALA Conference Committee:  Saturday, June 27, 8:30-10:00am (to be confirmed).
    • 2015 & 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team with 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team:  Saturday, June 27, 10:30-11:30am (to be confirmed).

ALA Conference Committee in ALA Connect:  http://connect.ala.org/node/65249

Face-to-face meeting participants – MW2015:

ALA Conference Committee: Walter Betts (Chair) Jan Sanders, Sara Kelly Johns (Executive Board), Mary Hastler (Division Representative), Kelly Crivelli (ERT Representative), Aaron Dobbs (Division Representative).  Guest: Jennifer Boettcher (RUSA Councilor).  Mary Ghikas (staff), Alicia Navarro (staff), Paul Graller (staff).

2015 CPCT: Walter Betts (Chair), Julie Kane (ALCTS Representative), Mary Hastler (PLA Representative), Debra Shapiro (LITA Representative), Pete Reehling (RTCA Representative), Jeffrey Bowen (LLAMA Representative), Adam Szczepaniak (ASCLA Representative), Don Roalkvam (UFL Representative).  Guest: Mike Marlin (SRRT).

 

More...

Pages

To recommend additions and changes to ALA Policy 7 (Conferences and Meetings) as appropriate; to recommend policies to Council for the coordination and scheduling of conference programming and for simplifi cation of meeting scheduling, including use of technologies; to recommend to Council policies guiding the selection of Conference and Meeting sites and dates; to review recommendations of specifi c sites and dates prior to their presentation by Conference Services to the ALA Executive Board; to recommend to Council and to ALA staff a means for communication with the membership to hear their concerns about Conference and Meeting procedures and policies.

Subscribe to ALA Conference Committee