ALA Conference Committee Committee
Dear ALA Leader—
The ALA Conference Committee is seeking your feedback as we work to remodel the ALA Annual Conference. Mary Ghikas, ALA’s Senior Associate Executive Director, in consultation with the Conference Committee/Conference Program Coordinating Team and with input from ALA conferences services, division staff and roundtable/ALA committee staff liaisons, has developed a remodel proposal for our upcoming 2018 Annual Conference in New Orleans.
As we worked on its development, we had the following objectives in mind:
- Create a more manageable and more easily navigable Annual Conference
- Provide high-quality continuing education in content streams relevant to individuals from different types of libraries and in different specializations
- Eliminate to the extent possible conflict between programs in the same content stream or during the same time periods
- Provide peer-to-peer learning and networking aligned with contract streams through discussion/interest groups
- Continue to provide an exceptional exhibition of products and services for the library community, as well as an opportunity for authors and librarians to interact
- Provide integrated content information—including programs and discussion groups, as well as interactions with authors and exhibitors
- Support the governance of the Association by providing a venue for both essential governance meetings and collaborative work
- Address attendee dissatisfaction with the spread-out campus by reducing campus size by approximately 50%
- Control costs by reducing campus spread, eliminating or reducing room turns and increasing consistency in practice
- Increase sustainability, both financial and environmental
The Conference Committee values your input. We particularly encourage all units of the Association and affiliates who produce programming, hold discussion/interest groups, and/or hold meetings at Annual Conference to review the remodel proposal. You may post your comments right here on the Conference Committee’s connect space.
The Conference Committee feels this remodel provides a better conference experience for all participants, as well as long-term sustainability for our association.
Clara Bohrer, Chair
ALA Conference Committee
On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, I am posting the following report:
ALA COMMITTEE REPORT
COMMITTEE: ALA Conference Committee (standing)
TIME PERIOD: 2015-2016—Through Midwinter Meeting 2016
REPORT SUBMITTED BY: Clara N. Bohrer, Chair, 2015-2016
ACTIVITIES OF THE COMMITTEE: (including the 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team)
This report covers activities of the ALA Conference Committee on ALA Connect and at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting.
- Reviewed the 2016 Annual Conference and 2017 Midwinter Meeting skeleton schedules for approval by the ALA Executive Board during the 2016 Midwinter Meeting. The Committee made no changes to the schedules as presented.
- Received an update from staff on the registration and budget targets for the 2016 Midwinter Meeting.
- Received an update from staff on the move away from ALA Connect and the impact on the scheduler. New scheduler is a work in progress and committee was asked to provide input on their experiences.
- Received an update from staff on the use of the new integrated proposal-to-final program system which has increased efficiency and reduced error-prone repetitive data entry at difference stages.
- Staff reported on existing contract language that helps to address the concerns of the Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. The Committee will continue to reviews TF recommendations relevant to ALA conferences. Invitations to speak at the 2016 ALA Annual Conference have been issued to several speakers recommended by the TF.
- Discussed a potential upcoming Council resolution on accessibility of ALA conferences and meetings for people with disabilities. Staff provided an update on current practices. The mover of the Council resolution provided some background.
- After an hiatus, a representative from ASCLA’s Accessibility Assembly will be regularly appointed to the ALA Conference Committee by ASCLA.The committee had a discussion on accessibility issues at conferences and expressed interest in receiving an accessibility checklist relevant to conference planning.
- Reviewed a list of potential Auditorium Series speakers and recommended preferred speakers to ALA Conference Services for 2016 Midwinter Meeting and 2016 Annual Conference.
- Participated in voting for the Ignite sessions at the 2016 Midwinter Meeting.
- Discussed the experience of implementing the "Deep Dives" pilot programming at the 2016 Midwinter Meeting. Evaluations are being collected and will be reviewed by the Committee.
- Discussed the process (preliminary, since subject to feedback from evaluations) for the next set of "Deep Dives" pilot programming at the 2017 Midwinter Meeting.
- Heard a proposal from staff regarding a branding opportunity for the Midwinter Meeting with the Center for the Center for the Future of Libraries to offer program content with a focus on innovation and trends impacting libraries, both short and long term.
- Reviewed and evaluated proposed Annual Conference 2106 programming to identify any major content gaps.
Next Face-to-Face Meetings:
- 2016 Annual Conference—Saturday, June 25, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. 2016 & 2017 Conference Program Coordinating—Saturday, June 25, 10:30-11:30
- Work will continue on ALA Connect between face-to-face meetings as needed.
Face-to face meeting participants (MW 2016):
ALA Conference Committee: Clara Bohrer (chair), Sara Kelly Johns (Executive Board), Mary Hastler (Division Representative), Aaron Dobbs (Division Representative), Carla Land (Councilor-at-Large), Hannah Kyung Lee (Chapter Councilor), Martha Goddard (ASCLA Accessibility Assembly), Ken Stewart (Division Representative) Peter Hepburn, Mary Ghikas (staff), Alicia Navarro (staff)
Conference Program Coordinating Team: Alice Calabrese-Berry (United for Libraries), Katherine Louise Kan (YALSA Representative), Mary Pagliero Popp (RUSA Representative), Trisha Burns (PLA Representative), Evviva R. Weinraub (LITA Representative), Nikki Winslow (Round Tables Representative), Ken Stewart (AASL Representative), Mary Ghikas (staff), Alicia Navarro (staff)
On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Clara Bohrer, here is the agenda for our meeting, as well as the 2016 CPCT, in Boston: (also as an attachment)
ALA Conference Committee, Saturday, January 9, 8:30-10:00am, Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (BCEC) 259A
-Registration and Budget Targets
-IT Implementation Update (including Scheduler)
- TF on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: recommendation on contract language
- Changes in Orlando since 2004
- Accessibility: Council resolution (MW2016), current status, Conference Committee membership
- Sustainability: Council resolution (AC2015), current status
- Deep Dives
> MW2016 experience
> MW17 Proposal : Coordination/Schedule, Recuitment/Call for Proposals, Jury Proces
- Other Current Content Streams: News You Can Use, IGNITE!, Masters Series, Discussion Groups
- Branding/Marketing Issue & Proposal
ALA Connect Change (IT) -- Spring 2016
ALA Conference Committee: 2016 Conference Program Coordinating Team (CPCT), Saturday, January 9, 10:30-11:30am, BCEC 259A
Current 2016 ALA Annual Conference Submissions: What's Missing? What should be coordinated?
Major Speaker Status
-Conversation Starter Call/Jury Process
-IGNITE! Session Call/Jury Process
ALA Connect Change (Spring 2016)
See you all soon.
On behalf of ALA Conference Committee Chair Walter Betts, here is the agenda for the AC15 meeting, Saturday, June 27, 8:30-10:00am, Moscone Convention Center, North Building, 110. The 2015 CPCT will meet in the same room, 10:30-11:30am.
- Deep Dive programs -- Final Sign off on 2016 approach; 2017 implementation process (call & jury)
- Update on 2015 Annual
- Update on 2016 Annual -- campus changes
- Scheduler change for 2016
- Conference content system (scorecard) implementation update
The updated list of conference sites is attached to this agenda. No new sites are being considered at this conference.