LITA Assessment & Research Committee Committee
LITA Assessment and Research
Annual Conference 2014
Saturday, June 28
Las Vegas Convention Center
Exhibit Hall Mtg Room A
2) Update on the Education Committee Assessment Project -- Evviva and Toby
3) ITAL Metrics -- Dale
4) Membership Survey Planning -- Michelle and Evviva
5) Recognition -- Michelle
6) Next steps -- all
LITA Assessment and Research Midwinter Report 2014
Submitted by Michelle Frisque, chair
Library Techies that aren’t LITA/ALA members. Report was submitted to LITA Board on 12/15/2013.
Education Committee collaboration. Education Committee requested help to conduct some assessment projects for their committee. Topher Lawton and Evviva Weinraub volunteered and are currently working on the project.
High Profile LITA members doing Webinars and web courses for other ALA Offices/Divisions. LITA Board members and LITA Chairs have been taking their technology related webinars and web courses to other ALA divisions/units. We want to learn why our leaders are taking their classes elsewhere. We hope to learn what makes the other distribution channels more appealing so hopefully LITA can make changes that would make our division more appealing for these types of programs. Based on the conversation at Midwinter we may also want to contact other divisions to better understand their practices. Will work with Education to prioritize their projects. See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/211324#sthash.YoSvZgnp.dpu
How to Measure ITAL now that it is open access. Dale Poulter volunteered to work with ITAL editorial board on this project.
Update LITA Dashboards to reflect end of year 2013 numbers. (Michelle)
In the Future
LITA Guides. Publications committee wants to measure the impact or value of a LITA publication. Still need to identify a volunteer.
Environmental Scan. A longer term goal for our committee is to perform an environmental scan. We can begin to explore this idea and determine what it will entail. Then report back to you and the Board about how we want to proceed.
How the board can communicate with membership (was assessing the Streaming of Board meetings)
LITA Top Tech Trends (this would be done with the LITA Top Tech Trends Committee) While the Top Tech Trends committee reports on what each panel member top tech trend(s) we do not put an aggregate of TTT for the year. Educause has the horizon report which is top tech trends for Universities and ACRL does one for Academic Libraries but there is not one for Libraries of any kind. We have been asked to explore how we might go about identifying and reporting on the trends.
Membership Survey? More discussion with Board needed before moving forward.
LITA Assessment and Research Annual Report 2013
Submitted by Michelle Frisque, chair
- EL Leadership Training Survey: LITA Emerging Leaders group Margaret Heller, Zach Coble and Katlin Heidgerken-Greene were asked to investigate a LITA leadership training program. As part of the evaluation process they sent a survey to current and past LITA Chairs and a separate survey to current and past LITA Committee members. We reviewed the surveys and recommended changes.
- Library Techies that aren’t LITA/ALA members: Evviva and Clara crafted the survey and worked with LITA Office to set up the survey in Survey Monkey. Survey was distributed in June. Evviva and Clara are now reviewing the data and will send a preliminary report to the full committee to review in September.
- LITA Data and Financial Dashboards. Both data dashboards have been updated and posted online at http://connect.ala.org/node/208971. In the past the numbers for the LITA Data Dashboard were gathered at various times. It was decided to use the data from the end of the FY so that we are comparing similar metrics each year. The historical metrics as well as this year’s metrics are now from the end of the FY. That is why numbers from previous dashboards may not match previous dashboards.
- High Profile LITA members doing Webinars and web courses for other ALA Offices/Divisions. LITA Board members and LITA Chairs have been taking their technology related webinars and web courses to other ALA divisions/units. We want to learn why our leaders are taking their classes elsewhere. We hope to learn what makes the other distribution channels more appealing so hopefully LITA can make changes that would make our division more appealing for these types of programs. Michelle and Emily have begun working on a survey.
- Improve formatting/display of the Financial Dashboard
- Environmental Scan. Still need to define.
- LITA Top Tech Trends (this will be done with the LITA Top Tech Trends Committee) While the Top Tech Trends committee reports on what each panel member top tech trend(s) we do not put an aggregate of TTT for the year. Educause has the horizon report that is top tech trends for Universities and ACRL does one for Academic Libraries. We have been asked to work with TTT to explore how we might go about identifying and reporting on the trends.
- How do members want to learn about Board activities? This project was formally titled Streaming Board Meeting Evaluation but it was decided to expand the scope of the evaluation project to determine how the board should disseminate information to its members. Michelle and Cindy will work on drafting a survey.
Attending: Bonnie Postlethwaite (Chair), Lisa Craig-Young, Kristen Antelman, Cindi Trainor (Board Liaison), Clara Ruttenberg, Andreas (Dre) Orphanides, Mary Taylor (Staff Liaison), and Katie Miller,
Guests: Evviva Weinraub, Michelle Frisque
1. Introduction of the new LITA Assessment and Research Committee Chair.
The new chair is Michelle Frisque.
2. Recognition of committee members whose terms are ending.
Bonnie Postlethwaite, Gail Clement, Michelle Kowalksy, Charles Kratz, Katie Miller and Andreas (Dre) Orphanides have completed their terms. Thank you all for your service. You will be missed.
3. Introduction of new members.
We have not received an updated membership roster. There are currently open positions on this committee that need to be filled.
4. Data dashboards.
LITA has two dashboards that track LITA trends over time. One is the LITA Data Dashboard and the other is the Financial Dashboard. We need volunteers to update the data on both dashboards. The data comes from the LITA Office in the late fall. Clara Ruttenberg has agreed to update the dashboards. She will then send it to Michelle Frisque who will post it ALA Connect.
LITA Data Dashboard. The LITA Data Dashboard includes information about LITA membership trends, ITAL impact factor rankings, and ITAL subscription numbers. It will be viewable to all LITA Members.
ITAL. Now that ITAL has moved to an Open Access model some of the iTAL metrics are no longer valid i.e. subscriber and revenue information, and should be removed from the dashboard. There was a discussion about what new types of metrics we should gather. A project for this committee is to work with The ITAL Editorial Board to determine what metrics are available and which ones we want to include in the dashboard. Kristin Antelman has agreed to continue to provide the impact factor ranking for ITAL for the dashboard.
Publications. It was also decided that we should add publication information into the dashboard. Mary Taylor will provide these statistics so that we can add them.
Programing. It was also decided that we should add some programming metrics to dashboard. This will be a future discussion for the committee.
LITA Financial Dashboard. No changes need to be made to dashboard at this time. This dashboard will be made available to the LITA Committee and Interest Group Connect site. All of the LITA Chairs and the LITA Board of Directors has access to this site.
5. Revising Manual Section 12.
We reviewed the current proposed revisions to the LITA Manual Section 12. Additional changes were proposed. Bonnie agreed to post revisions to ALA Connect.
6. Archiving Committee Documents.
Bonnie posted the most up to date version of all of the. Assessment and Research documents on ALA Connect.