RUSA BRASS Education Committee (Business Reference and Services Section) Committee
BRASS Education Committee Meeting (Minutes)
ALA Annual Conference
Saturday, June 25 from 10:30 – 12PM
Sheraton, Salon 829
Present: John Juricek, Louise Feldmann, Todd Hines, Connie Strittmatter, Joel Thornton, Monica Hagan, Rhonda Kleiman, Susan Schreiner, Michelle Allen, Leticia Camacho (Chair) , Paul Brothers
Excused: Natasha, Mary and Jared
- Call to order: Paul Brothers volunteered to take minutes
- Welcome and introductions/roster –
- Announcements: Todd Hines (ex officio from BRASS Exec.) announced that Minority Service Award is going away – S&P will not provide on-going support; BRASS Emerald Award – we have not received funding for this one yet but when we do it will be for one award and not two
- Todd passed around BRASS Program flyer for Monday AM program
- Paul – encouraged members to check their LibGuides periodically for updating
- Libguide assignments were divided (see attached form for names associated with areas)
- Lety mentioned using Google translator – Monica and Lety will investigate “turning on” this feature in LibGuides
- There was a discussion about copyright on the LibGuides page and if it was necessary to have a separate statement on each person’s guide. This issue was tabled for further discussion.
- Paul briefed members on the preconference. There were 16 paid attendees. Connie Strittmatter suggested having two back-to-back sessions. This could then be sold as one or both programs depending on the attendees needs and budget. [I learned from RUSA Board of Directors meeting that preconferences are going to be shortened by one hour i.e. ending at 4PM rather than 5PM.] Shika Sharma will be coordinating the MBA in a Day for Anaheim. Michelle Allen and Susan Schreiner will be assisting her.
10. Connie Strittmatter announced that Todd Hines will be taking her place with RUSA Professional Development.
To study and review the educational needs of business reference librarians and other librarians involved in providing business reference services; to explore and encourage the development of curriculum and continuing education programs in the area; and to promote communication between the profession and library educators.
Leticia Camacho (Chair, 2010 - 2012)
Michelle Allen (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Natasha Arguello (Member, 2010 - 2012)
Mr. Chad Forrest Boeninger (Member, 2010 - 2012)
Louise Feldmann (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Monica Hagan (Member, 2010 - 2012)
Todd Hines (Ex Officio, 2011 - 2013) - Rep to RUSA Professional Development
Jared Hoppenfeld (Member, 2010-2012)
John Eric Juricek (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Rhonda Kleiman (Member, 2010 - 2012)
Mary Martin (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Lee Pike (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Susan Schreiner (Member, 2011 - 2013)
Sarah Emily Spiegel (Member, 2011 - 2013)
BRASS Education Committee
Established in 1988.
To study and review the educational needs of business reference librarians and other librarians involved in providing business reference services; to explore and encourage the development of curriculum and continuing education programs in the area; to sponsor educational activities in the area; and to promote communication between the profession and library educators.
There shall be at least seven (7) members appointed by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of BRASS. The BRASS Representative to the RUSA Professional Development Committee serves as an ex-officio (nonvoting) mber.
Terms of Office
Members of the committee will serve for two years and shall be eligible for reappointment for a consecutive two-year term. Terms will be staggered so that continuity will be maintained.
- To assess the educational needs and the continuing education needs of business reference librarians and other business librarians involved in providing business reference service.
- To monitor and foster the curriculum development in business reference and information at graduate library schools.
- To develop appropriate means of communicating its findings to the BRASS membership.
- To develop and/or sponsor educational activities in the area of business reference.