ALA Governmental Information Subcommittee Committee

Closed group
In: Government Information
17 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Online Doc agenda for today's conference call (11/24/14)

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 08:00 am

Please find attached the agenda for this afternoon's call at 3:00pm EST. 

Discussion MW meeting times / rooms

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 07:54 am

The GIS meeting rooms and times are below.  See you in Chicago!

 

  • Saturday, January 31st – Joint meeting with GODORT Leg. 1:00 – 2:30pm, McCormick Place West room 175a
  • Sunday, February 1st – 10:30-11:30am McCormick Place West 175a

Online Doc Notes from last week's conference call

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 09:15 am

Attending: Shawn, Maggie, Vivian, Jessica, Jane, Anne, Eboni, Bowie, Sandy, and Celina

 NTIS – COL considered a motion on NTIS but decided to not move forward with it. COL will continue to monitor the NTIS developments.  Jessica will post the old resolution on ALA Connect. (this is done) GIS would need to review/comment should a new resolution or any developments occur.

Attending: Shawn, Maggie, Vivian, Jessica, Jane, Anne, Eboni, Bowie, Sandy, and Celina

 NTIS – COL considered a motion on NTIS but decided to not move forward with it. COL will continue to monitor the NTIS developments.  Jessica will post the old resolution on ALA Connect. (this is done) GIS would need to review/comment should a new resolution or any developments occur.

 FDLP Task Force – GIS discussed the handout included in agenda.  GIS agreed that #3 on developing competencies would be a good start and necessary as document collections merge and increased accessibility of online documents.  Anne, Sandee, and Maggie will work on drafting some language.  Maggie will check on the process to develop competencies specifically with the ALA Accreditation Office and the Committee on Accreditation. 

 #4 Townhall – this needs further discussion perhaps during our next call.  We want to be sure we are clear on desired outcomes and what a townhall process might focus on should it be held. 

 #1 and #2 are related but different focus.  Will monitor the FDLP virtual conference December 2-4 hosted by GPO.  We want a national plan for preservation and digitization but may be difficult for ALA to lead this so we may want to consider how to support and provide direction.  Maggie will also meet with Mary Alice Baish during the CNI meeting following the virtual conference for more information.  (Note:  Maggie has a tentative meeting scheduled for December 10th – MAB responded immediately to my request.  Yay!)

More...

Discussion COL's FDLP Task Force Final Report

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Here are links to the final report that we discussed during today's phone call.

 

The full reports are available here:

http://connect.ala.org/node/173610?type=managed_file

http://tinyurl.com/FDLPReport

Online Doc NTIS resolution and COL report section referring to it from Annual 2014

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

Per our discussion during today's phone call, I've attached the NTIS resolution that was not passed by COL during the Annual conference and the COL statement in their report to Council.

Quote from COL report to Council:

Per our discussion during today's phone call, I've attached the NTIS resolution that was not passed by COL during the Annual conference and the COL statement in their report to Council.

Quote from COL report to Council:

"COL took part in an extensive discussion regarding the Resolution on Preserving Public Access to Scientific and Technical Reports Available Through the National Technical Information Service during this conference.  COL took action to table this resolution until Midwinter 2015 and instructed the Government Information Subcommittee to continue work on this issue. COL has encouraged the ALA WO staff to continue their efforts with Congress and the federal government agency affected by this resolution."

More...

Discussion Update and information...

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:17 am

Good morning! 

As you saw via email, our first GIS call will be on October 8th at 12:00pm EST.  The call in information is: 1-888-537-7715, passcode: 17919438.

I also wanted to share this oped with you regarding FOIA, as I thought you might find it of interest.

Looking forward to speaking with you on the 8th of October!

Jessica

Online Doc NTIS Resolution from GODORT

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 02:39 pm

Online Doc COL's FDLP Task Force Final Report

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 09:55 am

Attached is the final report from the COL's FDLP Task Force.

Online Doc Updated GIS Annual Agenda

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 08:33 am

Online Doc UN Depository Library issue

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 04:03 pm

Pages

ALA Governmental Information Subcommittee (Ad Hoc):

CHARGE: To develop policy recommendations and other strategies for the Committee on Legislation on various aspects of government information policy and procedures vital to the well-being of library services and the American public, including the creation, organization, dissemination, access, use, preservation of and permanent public access to public information, and assist the Committee on Legislation with appropriate communications strategies.

 

 

Subscribe to ALA Governmental Information Subcommittee