ALA/SAA/AAM Joint Committee Committee
- ALA Co-chair
- SAA Co-chair
- AAM Co-chair
- Report on ALA Annual program, "Collaborating to Preserve Our Heritage"
- Report on CALM microsite
- Report on liaison relationships
- Program planning for 2014. Suggested topics:
- Community engagement
- GLAMWiki Initiative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM)
- Other new business
American Library Association Conference
Meeting called to order by Danielle Plumer at 130pm – Anaheim Convention Center
Nik Honeysett (AAM)
SuKim Chung (SAA)
Gladys Bell (ALA)
Danielle Plumer (ALA)
Kim Durante (ALA)
Virtual via Skype
Sarah Demb (SAA)
Gregor Trinkaus-Randall (SAA)
Jamillah R. Gabriel
ALA Staff Liaison
Introductions of attendees
GTR notes that CALM focus has previously been on programming for the three meetings but he had been pushing heavily this year for collaboration and brought up the possible areas that were noted in the agenda: education, research, and advocacy. As an example GTR brought up the budget cuts in
NHPR (?) that SAA had been advocating against, and suggested how much stronger it could have been had the three organizations been working together.
General discussion on copyright and legislative issues in general that need the strength of joint advocacy behind them.
DP brought up issues relating to diversity and the future of the profession. GTR notes that diversity is a strategic priority for SAA.
The subject was opened up for discussion.
Sustainability across the board – how do institutions show their value, how do we speak in this new time where the business model is dominant? Would it be possible to slot this topic under advocacy?
DP suggests that it is broader – libraries need to identify more that they can do to respond to changes.
FS brought up the Sage Report which noted that academic libraries were failing – “How far do we go by being so nice and sharing everything?”
Someone remarks on increased Special Collections use, and notes that public library use has also gone up.
HB notes that perhaps it is more productive to move away from crisis thinking and focus our attention on things that won’t happen well if we don’t intervene.
As an example of education initiatives addressing digital preservation, GTR brings up SAA’s DAS Curriculum (Digital Archives Specialist) and asks how many people in the room know about it. Not many do – SK passes around fliers describing the program to the group. How do we get the word out to our respective organizations regarding this educational opportunities provided by one organization that are applicable to all of our fields?
Discussion regarding pricing of workshops and continuing education – DP mentioned that pricing was a significant issue – is there the possibility of reciprocal discounts between the organizations?
FS brings up an important point – the fact that there is a tension in the idea of credentialing people through this type of continuing education, bringing them in through the back door, so to speak.
DP & KM discuss idea of reciprocal discounts and sharing costs. KM points out that the division structure of ALA and its pricing may make giving discounts somewhat difficult.
HB suggests that it might make more sense to offer webinars for this type of continuing education.
GTR notes that we should consider educational offerings not only at conferences but also at stand-alone workshops and publicize it with the other organizations.
FS suggests that we should look to coordinate credentializing from the three organizations – CEUs?
GTR suggest that is a relatively simple concept to do
HB notes that the committee on Education at ALA must discuss this as would SAA
DP crosswalks between the three organizations – challenging to keep up the contact people
KM an online calendar is in the works for ALA to include national and regional conferences
Idea suggested of building it out – have a LAM listing that could appear elsewhere. Post press releases on the list? They can be forwarded . Challenges with ALA Connect as a communication mechanism as there is a slight functionality difference between those that are ALA members and those that aren’t.
GTR points out SAA’s Bi-Weekly In the Loop blast emails as a communication tool. He feels the calendar would be great as well – we could link to regionals as well.
It would definitely be good to move in the direction of linkage in terms of the communication of shared issues.
FS notes that given the legacy of this Committee, in order to operationalize we need two levels:
Presidential/leadership for the higher level discussions
Members 2nd level – to do some of the ground work
1) Identify the groups within the organization that could go back & forth
2) Education – what are the offerings? Tangible outcome could be a list of offerings of other calendars
FS asks if we should make a charge?
Should there be a shared set of standards across the coursework offered by the three organizations? We need to articulate it.
KM was wary of using words such as accreditation in the discussion of potential coursework and curriculum description
FS noted that he misspoke and he was referring to “certification” not accreditation
DP brought up the idea of continuing education units
FS noted that this idea could be very attractive to members across the organization – and then DP and HB brought up courses that would appeal across organizations.
NH noted that AAM certified institutions not individuals but wondered what they could do with regard to individuals.
KM talks about precedence in ALA using CPLA as an example and notes the process of such an undertaking, for instance the time needed to solicit certification, then identify coursework, etc.
FS wanted to know if ALA was out in front with regard to such a process?
DP suggested that we put together an Ad Hoc committee to talk to the right people at the three organizations and get them together at our conferences to speak to this issue (education).
GTR notes that we also need to publicize the offerings across the organizations
FS notes that if it is done correctly, your next step is getting college credit for it
GTR suggest three steps
1) Ad Hoc committee to have a conversation with the right education people at the three organizations
2) Calendar people - get together the events on the same page for all three organizations
3) Accreditation discussion but it may come of the individual discussions on education
FS adds topic of metrics to the category of research (one of the areas that we should be collaborating on) – they are important and need to be addressed. All three organizations need to say that want to
address research information on metrics
DP says that regarding upcoming areas of research – it would be useful for CALM to facilitate conversation.
HB brings up the idea of digital preservation and linked systems, CALM as a committee should highlight these issues for others. Digital curation recommendations are needed. The word is being hijacked by other institutions as there are different uses of the word by scientists, museums.
Topic of sharing knowledge about tools and technology
HS spoke about NEH grants
Cyns Nelson –a new member of group – spoke about a statewide oral history project they were doing in Colorado. It involved humanities, library science, history of Colorado - focusing on oral history as a type of information and creating a metadata standard for oral history – the standards around this could be a research topic.
DP noted that the discussion or consideration of joint metadata standards would be well within CALM’s scope.
KM brings up PARS list – and notes the absence of preservation data
FS asks what is the balance of LAM’s approach to this. What is our dialogue about preservation?
HB = group of people trying to define digital preservation. He spoke to the issue of what is going on with digital preservation and notes that the library world is dominating the conversation, not archives.
GTR notes that we need to make sure that all three organizations are award of the that they are working on and that they aren’t reinventing or addressing things that have already been dealt with.
Discussion re the linked data topic
DP notes that it has been driven by forces external to LAMs – i.e. the search engine industry.
FS with regard to CALM’s function as a clearing house – we need to define what are the areas of concern and create a grid for this.
GTR regarding Advocacy - how much is known about the issues that each organization is concerned with? For instance, within the museum community, changes in charitable giving laws are a huge issue.
NH says for AAM – advocacy is a huge issue, and he says that they would welcome working together.
ALA of course has their own office of Advocacy
GTR – notes advocacy issues such as copyright, donation, funding…
FS points out that joint advocacy energizes this Committee! Perhaps it is difficult to sustain the enthusiasm.
HB notes that there has been movement on working together in the last five years.
GTR notes that it shouldn’t be issue driven or hit and miss, we need to strategize and systematize our advocacy. He then provided a background on recent SAA work on drafting an advocacy agenda and suggested that it could be a building block to working with ALA and AAM. SKC read the issues from the recently drafted SAA Advocacy Agenda. Perhaps issue briefs could be jointly offered?
FS asks if an addendum could be added to the AA agenda – building in a point about the three groups working together on these issues.
KM asks if there is a way to find out from the respective groups about success stories/failures regarding advocacy as a presentation topic for the 2013 conference?
Regarding the idea of Ad Hoc Committee – should there be another one on advocacy? Can we get this on SAA’s meeting session agenda? Advocacy for the community? Could this be the spin on how to do it?
As regards a program for next year – can we formulate another Ad Hoc committee?
GTR notes that local level advocacy is also important.
SKC - remember to send out URL for the Advocacy Agenda (SAA) to the group
List of action steps needed:
Solicit members for Ad Hoc Committee on Education
1) Focused on determining who in the three orgs is charged with education issues and get them together
Solicit members for Ad Hoc Committee on Advocacy
2) Other actions
Maureen Sullivan – incoming ALA president – noted that she was going to be working on community building.
Brief reporting on old business – discussion on CALM sessions at ALA and AAM – dates given for SAA meeting in August. Publicize NA protocols/museum committees NAGPRA – encourage training in this area. It was noted that both linked data sessions were well-attended and successful.
It was noted that ALA was going to reduce the number of programs to fit all of them into the Convention center in the future.
Committee on Archives, Libraries and Museums (CALM) / Minutes
SAA Meeting August 8, 2012
In attendance: Su Kim Chung, Danielle Plumer, Jean Green, Sarah Demb (CALM Committee), Charlotte Brown, Christian Dupont, Susan Malbin, Gregor Trinkhaus-Randall, Bob Horton, Kevin Cherry, Ann Marie Willer, Aliza Allen Leventhal, Berlin Loa, James McGlothlin
Virtual via Skype: Phillip Katz from AAM
Request to Council for the equipment to teleconference (Skype, etc.) - hopefully this equipment will be available for every meeting in the future
AAM participation may be problematic for participation - they are working to get things in order - encourage anyone you know who is an AAM to consider serving as a member of this committee
Gregor Trinkhaus-Randall: collaboration @ the leadership level - has been in touch with Maureen Sullivan of ALA - has been in touch with Nick ? @ the Getty - as far as moving things along - there is a real place where we can work together collaboratively in advocacy particularly in Washington - if we all work together it gives us clout - also no one seems to know what is happening in ea. organization in education - developing a common calendar to let other organizations find out what others are offering and determine gaps - digital preservation: this is something that crosses bounderies, this is not only the large institutions, how can we help the small institutions? - leadership institutes and leadership training: a lot of the concepts in leadership are the same, why reinvent the wheel?, open these up to the other organizations - preservation also covers all three areas
We should think about other organizations that should be brought into this conversation (e.g. AIC, NAGARA, COSA, etc.)
Missing piece - disciplinary representation/liaison? - coalition of key disciplines - something like Heritage Preservtion? There used to be something called NICHE (?) - learned societies? - natural disciplines are art history, archaeology and anthropology, architecture
Advocacy role will be important in the next few mos. because of great changes in budgets
Linked Data Session reminder this coming Friday - hope to see you there! - a session was very well received @ ALA
Review of previous meeting sessions/ALA CALM Meeting
Gregor provided recap of ALA meeting - there was a lot of good discussion that went on - focus was on advocacy and education - came up w/ idea of creating ad hoc committees
Nick ? from AAM and Gregor discusses AAM not standing up to plate and he will work on it - also ability to attend all meetings virtually
ALA wiki is a little behind so we are hoping we CALM can get a presence on SAA Drupal site and migrate some of the ALA information there - ALA is interested in retiring the wikis as they have gone to a Drupal site as well
CALM general listserv for everyone to be involved with - there is a separate listserv for actual members of the committee - can anyone besides ALA provide the staff support for this listserv?
2013 Session Proposals
We would like to focus on advocacy
The higher you focus this the better - we're struggling with how to do this on a national level - a general session with 3 speakers informing grass roots membership on how to approach these issues - trying to involve membership - there has to be a joint message that the grass roots carries so that all of the organizations can get behind it - perhaps head of Wash office of ALA, someone from AAM to speak - Kathleen Roe would be excellent - council approved a new updated advocacy agenda - a series of targeted issue briefs will come out of that to provide s with the core information - we have 2 make a case that this is a part of infrastructure - get leadership form the three organizations on a panel together
One idea: bringing in the leadership to talk
Another idea: bringing in local level to know what archivists are doing and what they're advocating for
Would Archivists W/O Borders slot in here?
Common to all organizations = how do you deal with disaster? - Gregor talked about what is going on in MA with disaster recovery
Assessment as part of advocacy? Visitor's Studies Association (VSA), AAM does stats for museums, there is a library grp in Wash that does the same thing, there isn't that sort of thing for Archives/historical societies
Focusing on the educational aspect - how did you do this? Focus on institutions that have done it and done it well
It should be a little broader than case studies - you need to be of interest to all 3 constituencies
Go off initiatives sponsored by organizations?
October 5 is deadline for SAA submissions; August 24 deadline for AAM
Follow up on IMLS 21st century skills project - focused on education, interested in bringing in cont'g educ proposals - focus on contining educ if you're thinking of applying to IMLS
IMLS update: new strategic plan available online which addresses goals: 3 most pertinent: education, bldg communities, stewardship of collections
Traditional Cultural Expressions (TCE) is an int'l undertaking of WIPO - a movement to protect specific types of cultural heritage generated by traditional cultures - want to protect these societies from exploitation - movement to create a treaty to do this - sticky issue is copyright and how does that apply to a society of people - how would this treaty affect our practice? - there is no real action happening at the organizational level at this moment.
Trying to get some real work done during the year thru establishment of Ad Hoc committees in education , advocacy, and program (review of charges) - size of group would be 2-3 members
Program committee would love to have all past programs put somewhere together to refer to
JLF-advocacy | Sarah-education | Jean-program
Research Forum - poster session by a grad student on possibility of creating a virtual collection - rltd. collections held at a number of institutions - would like to get all of the institutions in one room to get the things crosswalked - we may want to advocate for some kind of forum to discuss
Did the SAA standards committee send the EAC guidelines to the RBMS bib standards committee for their consideration and review? It wasn't because it was SAA's baby exclusively - SAA understands that but we should have been alerted that this is going on - this fell thru - the standard has been formally adopted at this point but there may be some revision - SAA should be involved.
Preservation and digital preservation - has the PARS (?) group ever had a liaison to CALM - a fact sheet about CALM and send to some units and invite them to have people attend our meetings - future opportunities for virtual meeting
Digital Public Library of America Project - one of the challenge is they are not a member of ALA - focus is now on cultural heritage materials - they had a working group meeting on Monday - emphasis will be on cult heritage materials defined in two ways: content hubs (e.g. Hathi Trust) and also looking at service hubs (state or regional metadata aggregators) - metadata aggregation will be launched in April aggregating metadata from content hubs and service hubs and providing a minimal interface - encouraging people to bld diff interfaces thru the API - will also be developing a digitization program and go out and find materials that aren't being digitized - there is no collection strategy at this time -interest in including other content such as government/science data - keep this on your radar - you will be participating thru some sort of regional hub
Next meeting will be ALA midwinter in Seattle - please let Danielle know if you are interested in participating virtually
ALA/SAA/AAM Combined Committee on Archives, Libraries, and Museums (CALM
Sunday, June 24, 2012
1:00 p.m. to 3:30 pm (Pacific Time)
Anaheim Convention Center
II. Appointment of secretary/note-taker
III. Old Business
1. Review of programs presented at AAM and ALA
2. Discussion of program planned for SAA
IV. New Business
1. How can CALM influence those issues that affect LAMs? – Open Discussion
-What are the issues?
-Identify strategies where CALM can make a difference, including but not limited to:
1. Assist with coordinating topics and offerings across organizations
2. Encourage cross-advertising with other organizations
3. Ensure that credit is given where credit is due
1. Promote inter-organizational communication on results and research topics
2. Identify key research topics:
a. Digital Preservation
i. Massive potential problem, affecting all types of organizations
b. Trusted digital repositories
i. Applications for all sizes of institutions from the large universities to the small historical societies
c. Linked data
i. Reuse of metadata and authorities across types of organizations
ii. Public/private partnership opportunities
3. Offer programs addressing research topics affecting LAMs at national meetings of SAA, ALA, and AAM as well as other organizations as appropriate
1. Encourage joint and coordinated efforts in Washington and to international standards bodies and organizations to present a common front re important issues that apply to all cultural institutions
2. Support joint efforts on addressing issues that may only directly affect one type of organization but may have implications to all
3. Emphasize the importance of getting the word out to organizations on important issues
4. Facilitate communication between organizations
1. Assist with coordination of institutes and training sessions to develop the next generation of leaders in our fields
a. Harvard Leadership Institute
2. Offer internship opportunities for future leaders as appropriate
2. Brainstorm ideas for future CALM programming, including presentation on ALA proposed program planning guidelines - Open Discussion