LITA Board of Directors Committee
As part of its regular budget cycle, ALA asks the divisions to provide an update on the current year's budget projections at the halfway point. Mostly they just want to know if we anticipate any large variances in revenue and overhead lines, so it's not a detailed analysis.
Let me know if you have any questions about this broad overview.
Do you approve the 2016 LITA Board Midwinter Meeting minutes posted at http://connect.ala.org/node/251706 ?by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:08 am
LITA Board Meeting Agenda
March 22, 2016
11:30am – 1:00pm CDT
The meeting will take place in Adobe Connect at https://ala.adobeconnect.com/litaboard, and guests are welcome to join.
MARCH DOC #16-1 Agenda (PDF)
MARCH DOC #16-2 FY17 Budget Projections (XLSX)
MARCH DOC #16-3 FY17 Budget Projection Notes (PDF)
MARCH DOC #16-5 LITA Guide Copyright private thread on LITA Board mailing list
MARCH DOC #16-6 Publishing Contracts discussion (private documents in LITA Board Connect group)
Consent Agenda Documents
MARCH DOC #16-7 Interest Group Renewal Recommendations from the Bylaws Committee (PDF)
- Approve Maker Technology Interest Group Name Change (PDF)
- Renew MARC Formats Interest Group (PDF)
- Renew Instructional Technologies Interest Group (PDF)
- Renew Authority Control Interest Group (PDF)
- Renew Drupal Interest Group (PDF)
- Approve Women in Information Technology Interest Group petition (PDF)
- Approve LITA New Member Interest Group petition (PDF)
- Approve E-rate and CIPA Compliance Interest Group petition (PDF)
- Dissolve Search Engine Optimization Interest Group
- Dissolve Distance Learning Interest Group
- Dissolve Public Libraries Technology Interest Group
- Dissolve Library Code Year Interest Group (LITA/ALCTS)
LITA Personas Task Force
The LITA Board charges the Personas Task Force with defining and developing personas for LITA. These personas should represent the varied interests, needs, and expectations of the LITA membership both currently existing and potential.
The purpose of this Task Force is to learn more and gather information about those who are a natural fit for LITA -- whether they are currently a LITA member or not -- through these personas.
These personas will be used for LITA to create, refine, and communicate tangible benefits and actionable strategies that directly address those interests, needs, and expectations of the LITA membership.
The hope is that as a result, more people will join LITA, and the LITA members will find more ways to actively participate in and benefit from LITA. This is part of LITA’s broader efforts to increase the user experience of the membership, some of which go back to the 2011 LITA Emerging Leaders Project "Branding LITA: a market Identity for the 21st Century” (http://connect.ala.org/node/125841)
(1) A set of several personas of the LITA Membership, which
- represent the varied interests, needs, and expectations of the LITA membership in different library types, roles that they perform at work related to technology, levels in their career development, and degrees of current involvement with LITA.
- include current members (either actively involved or not), potential members (who may renew), and past members (who did not renew), and reasons for each persona.
- include specific and concrete descriptions for each in terms of their previous experience with and future expectations for LITA.
- are based upon the LITA membership data and research.
(2) Plus, optionally, some recommendation about potentially immediate use cases of these personas to improve the user experience of the LITA membership.
(For example, in the context of Communications committee, Membership committee, Assessment & Research committee, Education committee, PPC committee, etc.)
The Task Force will commence by Midwinter 2016 and run through Midwinter of 2017. It will present a preliminary report for feedback no later than two weeks before Annual 2016, and submit its final report at least two weeks in advance of Midwinter 2017.
7-9 LITA members with strong interests and (preferably) previous experience in developing personas or usability/user experience studies/projects. The Task Force members should come from a variety of different library types – academic, public, school, and other – and should (ideally) represent varied interests and expectations of the LITA membership in order to be able to create a set of personas that is as comprehensive as possible.
Hi Everyone! - This year in Town Hall participants discussed ideas around three potential areas of emphasis for LITA strategic planning - engaging Remote Members, ways to increase Diversity and Inclusion, and how LITA can be more engaged in Information Policy issues. Last year's Town Hall used the Kitchen Table conversation format to discuss issues around LITAs membership. So that both sets of notes are easily accessible for upcoming strategic planning I'm including both in this post. (Note: I need to get with Evivia to clarify some of the items in the Diversity section). -- Aimee
2016 LITA Town Hall - Strategic Directions
What should LITA keep doing – stop doing – start doing – in 2016 and beyond?
Livestream/record – do this more
Site license/group registration
OA ITAL FTW
Being Good at Twitter (Facebook, Blog) – start using as a communication tool for Board/Committees/IGs
HTML Emails (make sure text only is readable)
Virtual Conference experience (i.e. Forum) maybe at a site as a group, just not the main venue
Tell people about our stuff – destination portal for remote participation
ee LITA-only content (e.g. from IGs)
Consider swapping Town Hall & All Committee Meetings – more attendance Saturday than Monday
Solicit more feedback from people not at conferences
Committee volunteer form should not be a black hole
Encourage IGs to be active throughout the year (what resources can we offer?)
Make sure it’s clear how to communicate with IGs/Get involved
Make sure people know you can participate in committees/IGs without attending conference
Diversity & Inclusion
LITA is a changing organization – not all white cis men
Disability issues are diversity issues
LITA is a club that is difficult to break into
Volunteer form black hole
All white men at TTT – is LITA making an effort to reach out to underrepresented
Enhance relationships with caucuses and round tables
Outreach to public/special/school librarians
Encourage LITA folks to attend “Tech” related sessions from other divisions as outreach – liaison role – toolkit
Check into topics occurring in reference, instruction, connect with other groups for broader relevancy
Slack channel, google hangout
Using ITAL for more special issues on diversity
Library Technology Women (for LITA) – new IG started this conference
LITA Forum – Recorded? More? Money? Volunteers?
Pool of speakers
Scholarship for diversity at forum, midwinter, and annual – into lib tech more generally
Guides for how to address accessibility issues
Stay focused on LITA subset of ALA policy issues
Keep and add/expand policy related education
Keep pushing the tech edge – lead so rest of ala can follow/use/borrow from what we learn (e.g. remote membership
Keep doing joint IGs
Keep/Expand programs for systems folks
Restart doing standards development – encourage and support those leading (NISO) esp re: technical knowledge which LITAns excel at.
Keep working with legislative assembly
Stop losing our cultural heritage (digitization)
Stop creating IGs just for LITA when we can work with others
Formally collaborate with OITP
Do white papers (e.g. IPv.6)
Find more collaboration partners – present ourselves as a collaborative partner
Survey other division about policy issues that are tech-related and what they are doing – provide advice and assistance
Start Liaison relationships with international folks (ex IFLA) re: global IT policy issues (like right to be forgotten)
2015 LITA Town Hall - Kitchen Table Conversation
I have co-workers who should probably be LITA members but aren't because…
They are not librarians (but rather IT people) and do not want to/cannot afford to join both ALA and LITA.
They don’t know what LITA really does - many think it’s just for super techy folks, not necessarily user services librarians (or staff - Ditto.). I do suspect the above statement is also correct in that there are some non-exempt staff in the library who might be interested but either don’t know what it is or assume it’s not for them, due to their being non-librarians. I am actually not a member of LITA, but have come to the last two Forums. I have to be a member of ALA and of ACRL and RUSA in my position, and cannot afford another add-on to that.
A variant on this - they don’t know what LITA or ALA does, or even really what professional involvement is about. I have this image of them as thinking of themselves outside of the profession of librarianship to the point where they don’t think of themselves as in the library industry.
The above comment is interesting because for my hard-core IT people, LITA is not tech enough and in the distant past, it was. That may not be an issue we can address in some respects given how much the scope of IT has expanded since LITA’s formation. There are other forums for some of the really technical concerns. Nonetheless, it’s something to consider.
Agreed. the role of IT is continuing to expand into many library departments.
They belong to other organizations that are somewhat similar (or overlap) in some way, like ASIS&T. Yes, not really the same thing but there is a commonality that perhaps could be used to better advantage.
LITA does not do enough relating to mid-small public libraries. An apparent focus on academic libraries is frustrating, especially since those are the libraries probably most in need of professional technology support.
I agree with this! Public Libraries need some love in this division, of any size. Spread the love.
I would be more likely to attend LITA Forum if…
As a head of reference, I have begun attending, and have the last two years, plan to in 2015 as well. in reference to the conversation on the first question, I really need to know what is going on as technology’s role begins to expand. LITA has done a good job in the past few years expanding its offerings at the Forum to include broader definitions of IT use. This will need to continue. I like the fact that it is
would like to see more hands on workshops at LITA (in pre-conferences, perhaps?) that allow folks to play with tools/resources they don’t normally have access to in tandem with those who have the skills already.
Along that line, adding sessions that are more like mini-workshops where you could have a hands-on learning experience on a very focused topic, which would not be an extra charge event
I like the fact that the Forum ends on a Saturday, so I get a day of the weekend to rest before Monday. but agree with the comment below about the message.
...it was on Saturday or Sunday.
My conflicts with LITA Forum tend to be personal -- either it’s too far away or it’s at the same time as other events I’m already committed to. Not sure if a change in time of year would help or not. I’m also not a huge fan of it being over/into a weekend.
Agreed - it frequently conflicts with other events. Maybe a different time of year would be better. And I agree, having it over the weekend is not necessarily a positive for everyone. In an odd way, it possibly sends a message that this isn’t important enough for you to talk time away from work to learn something new.
I agree - too far, wrong time of year/conflicts
I also agree - too many other conferences around the same time of year & it shouldn’t be on a weekend
I get a lot out of the Lightening Rounds. They are quick and, because the time is so limited, they tend to be focused and to the point. Give someone longer and they will not always fill the time well.
Another person adding onto this point: LITA Forum really improved IMHO when it went from 90 to 45 minute sessions. 90 minutes gave people too long to not necessarily give a good presentation, and some people just ended early. I also was too intimidated to ever try proposing anything at 90 minutes, but have done multiple 45-minute ones. Since that change seems so beneficial, adding some shorter slots (like maybe 15-20 minutes) would be good too.
I like this idea
Need more public library sessions: public PC management, getting various public PC vendors (Envisionware, Faronics, ILS, etc) to work together, ISO standards for public libraries, and how to get involved and why, RFID and materials handling, managing public library technology, working with City/County IT, etc.
CMS comparisons, what type of content public libraries should have on their websites, etc.
It would take something really compelling to get me to come to another conference. I get limited support for conference attendance at my library and it all goes toward meetings/conferences where I have committee obligations to attend. If there were a whole track on user-services librarians in public libraries and it were closer to my home I could be convinced to come out of pocket to attend, but it would have to be something that compelling to persuade me to pay for yet another conference out-of-pocket.
The LITA web site would be more useful to me if…
I currently never visit the LITA website. Probably, to make me begin to visit the page, it would have to offer continuing areas of interest: perhaps a compilation of current articles and news items (or paths to these articles) affecting IT in higher education, for example.
I might begin to visit the page if it had more detailed information about how LITA operates - who *really* does what and how to get more involved. Something with fewer clicks that feels less like a scavenger hunt.
Currently I can only go to the ALA homepage and the YMA page so I can’t give any real insights. I don’t visit often.
I receive the listserv emails, and they are tremendously useful.
What I want out of a professional association is…
[Some starting points: webinars and online education at discount rates; leadership development opportunities; opportunities to present programs/webinars; networking with colleagues; advocacy opportunities; committee appointments…]
All of the above!
webinars and online education at discount rates/ easy ways to connect with colleagues with similar interests
All of the above are useful tools
Opportunities to present!
Yes - all of the above, and email & Facebooks discussion groups most importantly
ways to influence the direction of the profession
A community of practice - a group of smart folks interested in similar things that I can reliably go to go get help and share ideas. To that end, online education, opportunities to present, networking, advocacy opportunities are all in play as are social media connections.
[LITA is NOT currently planning any increase in membership fees, but...]
I would look more favorably on a five to ten dollar increase in membership renewal if…
I did not have to pay full membership to ALA in order to be allowed to join LITA...in effect meaning LITA membership already costs almost $200/year.
if there was transparent, concrete, line item like budgetary needs that justify that.
Agreed - I already pay way too much for ALA and divisions, but would be more inclined to pay more if I saw the need.
And conversely if there were a transparent, concrete explanation of what new or additional value I might get from it.
i have other divisions I have to be a part of, and would really like to see ALA have a little more understanding of how many of these divisions overlap in so much of our work, and give some consideration to this in the fees. My spouse is also a librarian and a member of ALA, and there has never been a discount for that either, as there is in some other associations to which I have belonged. He is in a totally different area of librarianship so there is no overlap in divisions, and it starts to add up!
Yes, the very siloed nature of ALA and its dues is a huge problem. It clearly inhibits participation in multiple areas of ALA overall.
I’ve often wondered about this. I hear people say all the time “I’m dropping my membership in X because I’m joining Y” and there really could be an opportunity to not make this a zero sum game.
Another thing to consider along this line is that there are a large number of librarians and other information professionals that work in allied fields and not in libraries. Having a reduced cost membership category that takes this into account might help improve membership and revenue overall. This is actually an ALA issue (rather than something that LITA can do on its own) but it does work its way down to the divisions.
If my work would pay for it.
The real-world problem I'm currently facing at work that LITA could help me with is…
Transitioning to a content management system from a static library site for the first time. Conversing with other library folks who have had the experience to pass along to me would be helpful.
Integrating the IT support work my library wants me to do into my day-to-day work as a teen librarian. As a tech-friendly public services staff person I am asked to be on all the task forces (website redesign, social media, tech training for staff and for patrons) and balancing those needs with my need to serve teens can get tricky.
The best conference I have attended in the last two years was _____________ and what made it so good was…
Access in Canada and code4lib - great communities, strong technical programs, and great social time with people i care about
Ditto. Code4LibCon is my favorite event of the year. The single track and brief presentations ensure that I learn something new, without getting bored. I feel connected to the other attendees.
Drupalcon. Alot more hands on, practical, relevant sessions to my job. And it was fun. A lot of sessions at ALA/LITA are more theory. Wish more sessions had a strong web development track for libraries.
DrupalCon and Code4LibCon.
Open Repositories - there were sessions running in three different rooms concurrently, I had a hard time choosing sessions because there were so many talented and bright people from all over the world presenting at the same time. Also had hands-on workshops for Islandora, Hyrda, ePrint, etc… The conference gave me the chance to see what other universities were doing with repositories and digital libraries, and then talk to them about it afterward.
EDUI & HighEdWeb - practical, useful information that I could apply right away. I also enjoyed Drupalcon (no lines for the bathroom) but much of it was over my head at the time. I definitely want to go back.
I’ve only been to ALA Annual, Midwinter and CLA (California) in the last two years and none of them have been particularly noteworthy. If I had to pick one I’d say ALA Annual in Las Vegas - for the diversity of programs offered, great networking opportunities, and the right mix of mandatory committee things and fun, library nerdy things on my schedule.
Board liaisons, please list three items highlighting the great work your committee is doing.
Assessment and Research: Andromeda Yelton
- is rebooting the membership survey that fell through the cracks last year
- is excited about loaning members to the Forum and Personas TFs
- wants to work on data-dashboard stuff, get things consolidated into one place so it's easier for us to find and use the information we know about ourself (in particular, they're going to work with Mark on his Education dashboard)
Awards and Scholarships: Aimee Fifarek
- The press release for LITA Awards was posted in October.
- There is no master timeline for managing award calls - Jenny is working on developing that this year.
- Jenny Levine is now liaison to all Award Committees
Communications and Marketing: Rachel Vacek
- Finalizing a webworm to gather needed news and events information and to serve as a workflow for redirecting requests to appropriate people for marketing
- Writing a proposal and questions about the purpose, function, maintenance, and sustainability of a LITA Store – an online platform where current and prospective LITA members can purchase swag
- Finalizing a style guide to provide consistency in tone, voice, and style across LITA’s virtual presence, communication channels, and within physical realms (paper handouts, signage, etc)
- Preparing a regularly scheduled and LITA branded newsletter that highlights news, reminders about deadlines, call for proposals, announcements about events, education, etc.
Education Committee: Ken Varnum
- Winter slate of presentations all lined up; all but 3 webinars are scheduled.
- Planning to update LITA Manual with LITA Education information.
- Planning for continuing to pay webinar presenters; exploration of selling recordings of webinars.
Financial Advisory Committee: Nancy Colyar
- Orienting new chair and members
- Update charge
- Will work on financial analysis of recent Forums
Forum 2015 Planning: Rachel Vacek
Forum 2016 Planning: Thomas Dowling
IG & Committee Chair Coordinators: Rachel Vacek
Membership Development Committee: Susan Sharpless Smith
- Planning Midwinter, including use of ALA Lounge for promotion, Open House & Happy Hour
- Planning Tweet facilitated tech chats, in coordination with education and communications, starting this spring (February start projected)
- Looking forward to coordinating with Forum to have a consistent message to prospective members
Program Planning : Ranti Junus
- Reviewed program proposals and worked on the scheduling with quite a number of constraints (speakers' own scheduling, making sure the program won't overlap with important LITA programs, etc.)
- The entire program for the annual (18 programs and 3 preconferences) has been submitted. All the speakers, except the Imagineering program, are set and everything should be up to date at this point.
News from the ALA Program Planing:
-- Possibility of recording some of ALA sessions for virtual attendees.
-- Combine all poster sessions, regardless of the host, with the ALA poster session. This would allow to reach broader audience.
-- Try to make sure all programs of a specific type (for example, diversity) are not held at the same time, and to identify where programs should be co-sponsored.
Publications: Jenny Reiswig
- A good number of titles issued this year and in the pipeline with the Acquisitions Editor.
- The transition to the new publisher has surfaced a couple of issues for authors of books published under the old publisher. Specifically, the committee will talk to the Executive Director regarding guidance for authors who may want to get their copyrights back on books that were published under the previous publisher, and authors who want to issue an updated edition to an older book.
- There are a few lingering communication issues: ITAL Editor reports should be going to Publications but past practice was to send them to Executive Director. Also some oddness with the mailing list which the Chair will resolve with Mark B.
- The Committee's meeting agenda for Midwinter is on Connect at http://connect.ala.org/node/249092
Top Technology Trends: Bohyun Kim
- The TTT committee made a lot of contacts with potential speakers to secure diverse speakers (although many weren't attending the MW conference.)
- A list of those speakers now created for the upcoming Annual program.
- Promotion of the TTT program in Twitter
Web Coordinating: Jenny Emanuel Taylor
- Things have been a bit quiet because Jodie is on maternity leave and Kelly Sattler was made co-chair late in the fall.
- Completed projects include updating LITA staff listings on committee roster pages, updating the email lists page, and completing the Jobs Site.
- ALA IITS set up a multisite Wordpress install in December, will move Forum site to it
- LITA Blog is moving to ALA hosting and will be a test site for ALA to implement SSL. Brianna is also looking to possibly update the theme.
ALA Council: Aaron Dobbs
- Advocacy Coordinating Group requests/encourages units to tie planning with Libraries Transform initiative (which initiative will be embraced & extended by the next president(s))
- Accessibility Resolution has been rebuilt 3 times since start of #alamw16 it may or may not come up for action
- See "ALA ED..." and "ALAWO..." attachments for more highlights