Warning message

The launch of the new ALA Connect, scheduled for April 25, 2018, has been delayed due to technical issues. During final testing some critical issues related to navigation, tagging, and the structure of parent-child relationships were discovered.

The vendor is working to resolve these issues. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

While we're waiting to get started, please check out the resources and training on the support site. We'll keep you updated, in particular, we will communicate when we have a firm launch date.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Pam Akins, Community Engagement Specialist, at alaconnectmigration@ala.org.
Syndicate content

ALSC School Age Programs and Service Committee (Association for Library Service to Children) Committee

In: Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), Children's Services
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc March 21 2018 Online Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 04:56 pm

cristinalibrarian [9:57 AM]
shared this file:  
SAPS March 2018 Meeting Agenda.docx
Document from Google Drive

cristinalibrarian [9:59 AM]
Hello everyone!

Evan [9:59 AM]
Hello!

cristinalibrarian [9:59 AM]
As soon as you join us, please share in the check-in question: What's a brief programming highlight from your library work?
Hi Evan! Glad you could join us!

anewman [10:01 AM]
hello!!

cristinalibrarian [10:01 AM]
Hi Alexa!

Dave [10:01 AM]
Hey folks!

cristinalibrarian [9:57 AM]
shared this file:  
SAPS March 2018 Meeting Agenda.docx
Document from Google Drive

cristinalibrarian [9:59 AM]
Hello everyone!

Evan [9:59 AM]
Hello!

cristinalibrarian [9:59 AM]
As soon as you join us, please share in the check-in question: What's a brief programming highlight from your library work?
Hi Evan! Glad you could join us!

anewman [10:01 AM]
hello!!

cristinalibrarian [10:01 AM]
Hi Alexa!

Dave [10:01 AM]
Hey folks!

cristinalibrarian [10:01 AM]
Hi Dave!

anewman [10:01 AM]
I'm on desk, so i might have to pop in and out -- but have coworker here with me so hoping for best!

cristinalibrarian [10:02 AM]
:+1:

Evan [10:02 AM]
We have a big program coming up. Our third annual Fairy and Elf festival. It's four hours of awesome fun. Costumes, live music, shadow puppetry, dancing and of course, fairy house building.

anewman [10:02 AM]
sounds really cool, Evan -- you'll have to share pictures

aforrester [10:02 AM]
Hi there!

Evan [10:02 AM]
Absolutely!

cristinalibrarian [10:02 AM]
Sounds magical!

aforrester [10:02 AM]
Just finished up a tour with kinders :slightly_smiling_face:

cristinalibrarian [10:02 AM]
Hi Amy!
The kinders! :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [10:03 AM]
So much cuteness!

anewman [10:03 AM]
I had 2 storytimes this morning.  Love the littles -- tours are so much fun,Amy

cristinalibrarian [10:04 AM]
For me, we just wrapped up all the centralized booking of over 800 programs for youth school-age through teens for SUMMER! Woo hoo! Now, we're working on publicity and layout of our print guide

Dave [10:04 AM]
We are prepping up for our big Museum of the Middle Ages

cristinalibrarian [10:05 AM]
Sounds intriguing Dave!

aforrester [10:05 AM]
We're getting ready for an author visit with Raul the Third

lisakimno [10:06 AM]
We're having a wrinkle in time party!

cristinalibrarian [10:06 AM]
OOOH!

Evan [10:06 AM]
cool

aforrester [10:06 AM]
I'm so excited! He's going to do a comic book workshop with ballpoint pens :slightly_smiling_face:

cristinalibrarian [10:06 AM]
Can we just have a SAPS field trip and visit all our amazing programs?

anewman [10:06 AM]
wow!  I'm finishing summer planning -- still in midst of remodel.  We're in new offices, but I don't have a desk yet.  a month a counting.  its been crazy but will make for funny memories.
great idea, Cristina

sisaac3 [10:07 AM]
Hi All! Sorry I'm late! We're getting ready for national poetry month - I hang poetry down all the hallways, line by line from the ceiling. It's awesome!

Dave [10:07 AM]
Our sixth graders pick a medieval topic, do a research paper, take on the persona of someone who lived in the middle ages, prepare a costume and a speech and a visual display, and then we invite the 2nd and 4th graders from the elementary school to come visit the Museum

cristinalibrarian [10:07 AM]
Wow -- I love all that you're sharing.
Susie, welcome! You're falling right in line as we share out programming highlights

Evan [10:08 AM]
Just finishing up SRP planning here too. It's been a whirlwind.

cristinalibrarian [10:09 AM]
This is a good reminder: if you ever want to write an additional blog post (or even a collaborative blog post) about a school-age program you're hosting, please let me know. We could have a blog post round-up of all the amazing programs that are happening at your libraries... poetry, fairies, ballpoint pen illustrators, summer, and medieval history?! so cool

sisaac3 [10:09 AM]
I like that idea!

cristinalibrarian [10:10 AM]
I'll think more about it, but maybe our last blog post of this particular SAPS committee is a round-up post --- for June.

cristinalibrarian [10:10 AM]
Ok, well that was an energizing start to our monthly meeting. Welcome, all!
We're going to spend our time mainly checking in about the Tween Maker Launch Pad
Our main task was to migrate information from v5 to the new v1.

cristinalibrarian [10:12 AM]
shared this file:  
Tween Maker Launch Pad v1
Document from Google Drive

cristinalibrarian [10:13 AM]
It looks like it has been challenging for us to be able to do this before this meeting. We have clearly been busy!
@aforrester you have had success in doing this -- any pointers for us?

anewman [10:14 AM]
yep.  :face_with_rolling_eyes:

aforrester [10:15 AM]
I just bit the bullet and spent an hour last night migrating things

anewman [10:16 AM]
I have been challenged with not having access to any of my files, etc --  all my stuff is stuck in movers totes --- maybe we can work out a secondary deadline for later this week or next week?

aforrester [10:16 AM]
brb - customer question

cristinalibrarian [10:16 AM]
I like that suggestion @anewman

aforrester [10:17 AM]
I'm back. :slightly_smiling_face:

cristinalibrarian [10:17 AM]
It's great that @aforrester shared that this is about 1 hour's worth of work

Evan [10:17 AM]
Mid April would be good for me. I'm out for ten days starting Tuesday.

anewman [10:17 AM]
definitely reassuring!!

sisaac3 [10:17 AM]
I *think I migrated my section - is there more I should do by this next deadline?

aforrester [10:17 AM]
It's really not bad, just deciding what fits and what can be reworked to fit better

cristinalibrarian [10:18 AM]
Yes you did, Susie! Didn't meant to leave you out

sisaac3 [10:18 AM]
Awesome! Just wanted to make sure - I leave the country Friday morning for a week.

cristinalibrarian [10:18 AM]
This is what I propose:

Dave [10:19 AM]
okay

cristinalibrarian [10:19 AM]
For those who haven't migrated their sections, let's aim for April 13th:
Using this basic structure:

Evan [10:19 AM]
:+1:

cristinalibrarian [10:19 AM]
If Your Tweens Like to [insert this certain thing]…
Activity: Robots
       Your Tweens Can…
Construct robots
Take apart a robot
Use coding to complete a design challenge
Make art with a robot
   Tools
       Resources
   Interviews
Sorry the formatting isn't working out well in slack, but basically it's:
If your tweens like to do [XYZ]... followed by 1-3 activities that fall into that interest... and then including Tools, Resources, and Interviews

aforrester [10:21 AM]
I had a couple questions as I migrated stuff: Are we keeping our tags? Should we had a subsection for them?

cristinalibrarian [10:21 AM]
Great question Amy!
What does the group think?

lisakimno [10:22 AM]
the tags are useful depending on our final format - only if it's searchable

anewman [10:22 AM]
will it depend on the final "host" ie  blog, or however we finally chose to present it to the public?    I like the idea of tags, but won't miss them.

sisaac3 [10:23 AM]
Maybe we should compile a list of common tags to draw from, so that we don't have a lot of unrelated tags? Does that make sense?

cristinalibrarian [10:24 AM]
What would be the best way to compile them?

aforrester [10:24 AM]
I think we have a list of tags to work from

sisaac3 [10:24 AM]
Maybe we should look at everything we have when we're done and brainstorm tags to use in one of our meetings?
I wondered if we had a list - I might have missed that meeting. Where is that list?

cristinalibrarian [10:25 AM]
That's a great goal, Susie

lisakimno [10:25 AM]
We had a list of tags to work from waaaaaaaaaay back. In one of the very old versions.

cristinalibrarian [10:25 AM]
That's right, Lisa!

Evan [10:25 AM]
Christina, what did the ALA folks say about our project and format?

aforrester [10:25 AM]
Here's what I found in v2 of the toolkit:
Tags
Free
Cheap
Big Budget

Passive
Supervised
Pop up programs--back pocket

Small/Tabletop
Program Room

Intergenerational
School Groups
Individual
Low tech
wifi/no wifi
Needs precharging
High tech

9-13
Lower age range
Upper age range

Inclusive
Diverse populations/special populations
Modifiable
Collection connection

Audience
Librarians
Wherever

cristinalibrarian [10:26 AM]
Thanks, Amy!
#librarianskills

sisaac3 [10:26 AM]
Perfect!

lisakimno [10:26 AM]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZuIjLruENMZUclkABJgmTYfXSGrMaVTjcMhE...
There's the link

cristinalibrarian [10:26 AM]
thanks!
We really need to hone in on the tag categories...
Cost, age, etc.

sisaac3 [10:27 AM]
So where would we put our tags in this new version?

cristinalibrarian [10:27 AM]
Let's table that for our April meeting

sisaac3 [10:28 AM]
Sounds good.

cristinalibrarian [10:28 AM]
@Evan I haven't heard back yet from ALSC re: format/hosting
This is what I posed to them:
Our vision:
•    A web-based resource with ALSC branding that is hosted on the ALSC website. Our recommendation is ALA > ALSC > Publications & Resources > Professional Tools for Librarians Serving Youth under Programming & services for youth.
o    Because Maker programs often have a short lifespan because of changing trends, a web-based tool would allow for regular updates. Perhaps this could be on the work plan for future SAPS committee members.
•    We really like the simplicity and practicality of the design of the Social Justice Toolkbox.
•    We would like something similar that has a simple interface and graphics with just 2 levels of “click-throughs” to access the information.
•    You can see from our Outline that we have 9 major headers that all begin with “If your tweens…”  like to build things; want to be fashion designers; like to draw; want to be film stars, etc.
o    We picture a webpage much like the homepage of the Social Justice Toolbox with copy at the top to introduce the resource and 9 clickable boxes underneath with the “If your tweens…” headings.
o    If you click on any of these 9 headings, you will reach a webpage with activity ideas, links to tools and resources (i.e. website tutorials on how to use a particular Maker product in a library setting), and interviews with librarians.
o    Each of the headings will only have 1 additional page associated with it.
•    We like the easily navigable structure of the Social Justice Toolbox, but prefer the bolder color palette of Visions, Values, and Voice toolkit a lot. We would like to be able to add images to the web resource as well.

As a side note, we voted on Sunday to change the name of the resource from Tween Maker Tookit to Tween Maker Launch Pad. We felt the term “launch pad” was a more accurate descriptor since we’re giving broad strokes for a variety of librarians in a diversity of settings and communities to learn about maker programs.

Questions for you:
•    Would ALSC be able to host something web-based as we envision it?
•    If so, what is the process to move forward to develop something like this?
•    What do you need from me and the SAPS Committee?
•    How would I request graphic support to develop a look / feel for this resource?
•    We’re interested in developing promotional material, such as a postcard to promote this resource at ALSC Institute. How would we go about doing this?
In my email there are links to the toolkits we liked

aforrester [10:30 AM]
Hooray, Cristina! I think you explained and laid things out beautifully and clearly

sisaac3 [10:30 AM]
Wow, Cristina, you have been putting a lot of work into this. Thank you!

Evan [10:30 AM]
Wow! That looks awesome Cristina!!!

cristinalibrarian [10:31 AM]
Thanks, all! We really had a great meeting at Midwinter so it was easy to put the vision down because we worked on it for 3 hours!

lisakimno [10:31 AM]
That's wonderful! It's great to know all this work will have a home!

cristinalibrarian [10:31 AM]
It's great to hear your feedback, all
I'll of course share any updates that I receive (edited)
Ok -- let's move into the Timeline check in

cristinalibrarian [10:32 AM]
shared this file:  
Launch Pad Timeline & Goals
Document from Google Drive

cristinalibrarian [10:32 AM]
Can we each look at this doc?

Dave [10:32 AM]
That's a lot of work!

sisaac3 [10:33 AM]
Cristina, are you anonymous chinchilla? Brilliant name!
Oh, wait, is that something assigned by Google? Awkward...

cristinalibrarian [10:33 AM]
Thanks! It's google generated... :slightly_smiling_face: But I like it!
What would folks add to the timeline?

sisaac3 [10:34 AM]
That sounds good.
Meaning, I can't think of something to add.

aforrester [10:34 AM]
Do we want to have a goal for new info added to the launch pad?
For instance, filling in gaps

cristinalibrarian [10:35 AM]
Tell me more...

aforrester [10:35 AM]
We had a World Emoji Day section, but it doesn't fit the new launch pad structure, so we talked up replacing it
Is that part of our complete migration goal?

cristinalibrarian [10:35 AM]
That's right! Where and when should we discuss that? May?

anewman [10:36 AM]
I think May is good

aforrester [10:36 AM]
May is great

sisaac3 [10:36 AM]
May sounds good.

cristinalibrarian [10:37 AM]
Did I say that correctly? "Discuss any sections that don’t have an existing category"

sisaac3 [10:37 AM]
Or discuss any sections that need more added to them?

cristinalibrarian [10:38 AM]
Another thing is that we had talked at MW Denver is the possibility of switching up the sections that we work on -- but what do you all think?

Evan [10:38 AM]
I can definitely take the "If your Tweens like to draw" section. That was new-ish.

lisakimno [10:38 AM]
I'm open to switching it up, but maybe it's good to just hammer down and finish it

aforrester [10:38 AM]
did we also discuss maybe everyone working on everything

cristinalibrarian [10:39 AM]
That's right, Amy!

sisaac3 [10:39 AM]
Once everything has been migrated in, that sounds good, to switch it up. But we might want to set up some specific agenda items that we should work on when we do that.

cristinalibrarian [10:40 AM]
Ok, so I'm hearing: keep to your sections and migrate to v1 by April 13. At our April meeting we can discuss switching sections.
Thumbs up?

Dave [10:40 AM]
I definitely want to keep my section

cristinalibrarian [10:40 AM]
Evan, feel free to move to Draw

Evan [10:40 AM]
will do

cristinalibrarian [10:41 AM]
Alexa, I can take Build Things and you want to take Fashion?

Evan [10:41 AM]
And I'll drop in what I have for the coding and wedo stuff, including the interview.

cristinalibrarian [10:41 AM]
Great!
After we have completed the migration, it will be good for all of us do a bit of copy editing and make sure the the whole Launch Pad has a good flow
After which we hopefully move towards adding our content to the platform that it will live on

lisakimno [10:42 AM]
Maybe we can be assigned to other people's sections for editing

aforrester [10:42 AM]
Col beans, I'm happy to keep my section

anewman [10:42 AM]
sorry had to step away for a moment

cristinalibrarian [10:43 AM]
How many folks know they are coming to Annual in New Orleans?
The in-person meeting was so helpful!

Dave [10:43 AM]
I am coming

sisaac3 [10:43 AM]
I'll be there! Thanks for your heads up on the early bird rate ending!

anewman [10:43 AM]
I'll be there!

cristinalibrarian [10:43 AM]
I'll be there too!

aforrester [10:44 AM]
I'll be there!

lisakimno [10:44 AM]
I will be too pregnant to make it, unfortunately! I'm so sorry to miss so many in-person meetings.

Evan [10:44 AM]
I'll be there.

anewman [10:44 AM]
awww.... we'll miss you,  but Awesome !!!

cristinalibrarian [10:44 AM]
Lisa, congrats again! We'll miss you!

sisaac3 [10:44 AM]
Humid New Orleans would be miserable when you're far along in a pregnancy!

Dave [10:44 AM]
I am serving on Stonewall, but according to the chair, we will not be meeting.

cristinalibrarian [10:45 AM]
That's awesome Dave!

sisaac3 [10:45 AM]
That's awesome, Dave!

cristinalibrarian [10:45 AM]
I just read Little and Lion which was a Stonewall honor I believe

Dave [10:45 AM]
Yes!  It's a great book!

cristinalibrarian [10:45 AM]
Ok, great that so many of us are going to be at Annual
We're moving into our Closing part of our agenda...
And I am thrilled to announce that our very own Alexa will be the new SAPS Chair for 2018-2019!

sisaac3 [10:46 AM]
Good job, Alexa! Way to step up!

cristinalibrarian [10:46 AM]
This will be really wonderful for this project because of the continuity of experience.

Evan [10:46 AM]
Yay! Alexa!

aforrester [10:46 AM]
Hooray! Go, Alexa!

Dave [10:46 AM]
Congratulations!

anewman [10:46 AM]
Thanks, ya'll!

cristinalibrarian [10:47 AM]
A few of us are ending our terms... Dave, Lisa, Amy, and myself. So Annual will be a celebration and goodbye for some of us.

lisakimno [10:47 AM]
Congrats!

sisaac3 [10:47 AM]
That will be sad!
Saying goodbye to all of you, I mean.

Evan [10:48 AM]
Wow, that's a lot of you.

cristinalibrarian [10:48 AM]
That being said: I'm moving forward to recommending that this committee has a co-chair and if you're interested in stepping up into that, please let me know. As you can see, there is a lot of work that goes into this committee and I think it would benefit from 2 co-chairs. I'd be happy to talk with you more about it

sisaac3 [10:49 AM]
crickets
I have to consider first if I'm up for that challenge right now.

cristinalibrarian [10:49 AM]
No pressure! Just wanted to let you know
The work is really gratifying, I will say. :slightly_smiling_face: Working with you all is such a treat

anewman [10:50 AM]
co-chairing is nice -- it does help with division of labor,  I have co-chaired on another committee.
think about it.

cristinalibrarian [10:50 AM]
Before we move into closing, I also wanted to offer another opportunity, which is to offer a webinar.

sisaac3 [10:50 AM]
I'll think about it. It might be a good way to keep myself engaged.

anewman [10:51 AM]
I'm in --   I do a mean powerpoint.

sisaac3 [10:51 AM]
Not the webinar, the co-chair.

aforrester [10:51 AM]
webinar on?

cristinalibrarian [10:51 AM]
There was a subgroup within SAPS that submitted a conference proposal for K-3rd Readers and while it wasn't accepted for Annual, ALSC leadership has suggested it as something co-sponsored with the ALSC Education committee

aforrester [10:51 AM]
i'm so in! I'm always happy to talk about K-3rd stuff, specially beg. readers

anewman [10:52 AM]
so, basically taking all the content from the proposal and making into shiny slides, right?

cristinalibrarian [10:52 AM]
:slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [10:52 AM]
I'm interested!

cristinalibrarian [10:52 AM]
Oh cool!
I'll find out how to move forward and get back to you all

Dave [10:52 AM]
Great!

sisaac3 [10:53 AM]
Let me know if you need more help.

cristinalibrarian [10:53 AM]
So far, I hear Amy and Lisa interested. If others are too, chime in now, or email me.

sisaac3 [10:53 AM]
I think Alexa said she was, right?

anewman [10:54 AM]
i'm probably in by default...:laughing:

cristinalibrarian [10:54 AM]
You can choose! :slightly_smiling_face:
Great, thanks all!
Before we close, just want to check in about the blog schedule:
We have Amy this month in March, Alexa in April, Evan in May and Susie in June.
I'm happy to take April, May or June if you all need to swap out. I have an idea.

anewman [10:56 AM]
I'm still good with April.

Evan [10:56 AM]
I'm still good for May

cristinalibrarian [10:56 AM]
Great!

Dave [10:56 AM]
I could also jump in if needed.  We are just finishing the genrefication of our fiction collection.

sisaac3 [10:56 AM]
I'm still in for June. But I can swap with anyone for an earlier date if they need to swap.

cristinalibrarian [10:57 AM]
Great! If any of you ever have an idea for an additional blog post, you can always reach out to the ALSC Blog master: Mary R. Voors
ALSC Blog manager
alscblog@gmail.com

Evan [10:57 AM]
Cristina, can you tell us anything about the ALSC institute in September?

cristinalibrarian [10:57 AM]
Ok, that's all folks! Thanks for a great meeting. Please work on your migrations (I'm telling myself this too) and complete them by April 13. I will send a Doodle for our April Meeting. I appreciate all your contributions to our discussion, timeline and goals.

aforrester [10:58 AM]
Thanks, Cristina!

sisaac3 [10:58 AM]
Yes, thanks Cristina!

cristinalibrarian [10:58 AM]
Evan, I don't know much more about it other than what's on the website. I went to the one in Oakland a few years ago.

Evan [10:58 AM]
Do we have meetings there?

cristinalibrarian [10:58 AM]
It's an awesome professional development experience... because it's all so focused on children's services.

anewman [10:58 AM]
Awesome.

cristinalibrarian [10:58 AM]
Our committee only meets at Midwinter and Annual

Evan [10:59 AM]
Ok. Cool. I wasn't sure. I would love to go. Sounds fantastic.

anewman [10:59 AM]
I'm hoping to go to Cinci -- just for the all the presentations etc. no meetings for us.

aforrester [10:59 AM]
For the webinar, should we plan on meeting outside of our April meeting to chat?

sisaac3 [10:59 AM]
I have to run - It was great "seeing" all of you!

cristinalibrarian [10:59 AM]
I'll CC you all on an email to the education committee chair re: the webinar

lisakimno [11:00 AM]
Thanks!

aforrester [11:00 AM]
cool, thanks!

Evan [11:00 AM]
Yes. Have to head here too. Thanks Cristina! Was great seeing everyone.

cristinalibrarian [11:00 AM]
Happy Wednesday!

Dave [11:00 AM]
Thanks, everybody!

anewman [11:00 AM]
bye everyone!!

cristinalibrarian [11:00 AM]
bye!

aforrester [11:00 AM]
bye!

More...

Online Doc SAPS March 2018 Meeting Agenda

by Cristina Mitra on Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 05:11 pm

Online Doc SAPS December 2017 Quarterly Report

by Cristina Mitra on Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:02 pm

Online Doc SAPS Feb 2018 Quarterly Report

by Cristina Mitra on Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:01 pm

Online Doc SAPS Sept 2017 Quarterly Report

by Cristina Mitra on Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 06:01 pm

Online Doc SAPS Midwinter 2018 Agenda

by Cristina Mitra on Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:40 pm

ALSC School-Age Programs & Services

ALSC School-Age Programs & Services

8:30am-11:30am Mountain

Embassy Suites, Crestone Ballroom

February 11, 2018

Agenda

 

Membership:  Anthony Baltiero, Evan Bush, Angela Hubbard (ALSC Liaison), Amy Seto Forrester, Susan Gray Isaac, Cristina Mitra (Chair), Alexa E. Newman, Lisa Nowlain, David C. Saia, Heather Thompson, and Matt McLain (PG Consultant)

NEW Charge:  To identify and disseminate information on engaging, cooperative or innovative programming for school-age children to libraries, schools, and community agencies serving youth. To produce and promote materials supporting professional development for library staff and others working with school-age youth. To collaborate appropriately with other ALSC committees and other associations working with the school age child to initiate activates and projects.

Welcome and Introductions (15 min)

  • Name & Home organization
  • When did you start your work with ALSC?
  • Highlight of the conference
  • Something unrelated to programming and libraries about you

ALSC Business (15 min)

  • Terms and reappointments
  • Volunteer Forms; complete ASAP
  • Alena Rivers, ALSC Deputy Director & interim SAPS ALSC Liaison

Project and Workgroup Updates (30 min)

Groupwork (45 hour)

Timeline (30 min)

Closing (15 min)

Check-ins, as needed (30 min)

 

More...

Online Doc January 23 2018 Online Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 01:05 pm

cristinalibrarian [9:31 AM]
Hi! @anewman and @Evan, let's meet in the #hardware_makertoolkit channel

cristinalibrarian [10:00 AM]
shared this file:  
SAPS January 2018 Meeting Agenda.docx
Document from Google DriveClick to open in Google Drive

Add Comment

cristinalibrarian [10:02 AM]
Hi everyone!

Evan [10:02 AM]
Hello

anewman [10:02 AM]
Hi again :grinning:

cristinalibrarian [9:31 AM]
Hi! @anewman and @Evan, let's meet in the #hardware_makertoolkit channel

cristinalibrarian [10:00 AM]
shared this file:  
SAPS January 2018 Meeting Agenda.docx
Document from Google DriveClick to open in Google Drive

Add Comment

cristinalibrarian [10:02 AM]
Hi everyone!

Evan [10:02 AM]
Hello

anewman [10:02 AM]
Hi again :grinning:

cristinalibrarian [10:03 AM]
I know that Susie, Heather, and Lisa couldn't make it today.
[10:04 AM]
Let's see if Amy was able to pop over to join here. And Dave and Anthony.

aforrester [10:04 AM]
I"m here! :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [10:04 AM]
:confused:
[10:04 AM]
here's amy!

cristinalibrarian [10:04 AM]
Welcome!

anewman [10:05 AM]
I need new bifocals, I chose the wrong emoji!

cristinalibrarian [10:05 AM]
This may be us today -- and in that case, let's get started. Hopefully the others will join us shortly.
[10:06 AM]
Welcome to our 1st meeting of 2018! I'm really excited to see you all in a couple of weeks.

anewman [10:06 AM]
yay, me too!

aforrester [10:06 AM]
Indeed!

Evan [10:06 AM]
Me Too!

anewman [10:06 AM]
Are any of you going on the ALSC dutch dinner outing Friday?

Evan [10:07 AM]
I hadn't heard about it

cristinalibrarian [10:07 AM]
Hmm, not familiar. Do share more

anewman [10:08 AM]
I'll find the link and send it ---  it's geared towards newer members, but they want any ALSC members available to join the party.  We pay our own way.

cristinalibrarian [10:08 AM]
I'll be curious to learn more...
[10:08 AM]
Let's get started with a couple of announcements:
[10:09 AM]
1) Just want to let ya'll know that I always post the transcripts to our meetings to our page on ALA Connect as well as the Quarterly Reports for our Committee. Those are public and available for your reference
[10:10 AM]
2) Question: Did you see my email inquiry from Angela Hubbard from ALSC re: parent book clubs with school-age children?

Evan [10:10 AM]
I did not

cristinalibrarian [10:10 AM]
She was interested in the older children having discussions along with the parents about books they’d read independently.

aforrester [10:10 AM]
I did, but sadly don't have program experience to share

cristinalibrarian [10:11 AM]
If you do have experience with school-age or older youth reading together, please email me.

anewman [10:11 AM]
no, I didn't. when did you send it around?

cristinalibrarian [10:11 AM]
I'll resend the email (sent 12/5/17)

anewman [10:12 AM]
thanks.

Evan [10:12 AM]
ah, I wasn't on board then. Please resend.

cristinalibrarian [10:12 AM]
Just sent!
[10:12 AM]
:slightly_smiling_face:
[10:13 AM]
OK, that's all for announcements from me. If anyone else has anything to share, we'll have time for that at the end.
[10:14 AM]
Since it's just the Hardware and Video workgroups here -- let's give brief updates and spend the rest of our time asking general questions and brainstorming how the interview portion can look in a blog format.
[10:14 AM]
Sound good?
[10:15 AM]
Evan or Alexa, wanna update Amy on what we just did?

anewman [10:17 AM]
Sure --  we have some basic descriptions for our two areas;  have selected tools; assigned who will write descriptions of the tools; and will continue to gather our resources.  Does that sound about right?

Dave [10:17 AM]
Hey folks.
[10:17 AM]
Sorry to be late

cristinalibrarian [10:17 AM]
Hi Dave!

Evan [10:17 AM]
Hey Dave.

anewman [10:17 AM]
howdy, dave

Evan [10:18 AM]
Yes, we changed the formatting a bit. I'll be coming up with a third activity for the robots.

cristinalibrarian [10:18 AM]
Yes, and we're starting to think about who to interview. Evan has a contact at his library -- what is his/her/their position?

Evan [10:20 AM]
She's in charge of our web design and digital media center, and leads many of our children and teen programs.

cristinalibrarian [10:20 AM]
A big job!

Evan [10:21 AM]
We've used them at many of the branches including our smaller inner-city resource centers.
[10:21 AM]
Yes, she has her hands full.

cristinalibrarian [10:22 AM]
I have someone in mind too -- she is in a different position now, but she was our Techmobile librarian and ran tween maker programs throughout different neighborhoods.

Evan [10:22 AM]
That sounds awesome!

anewman [10:22 AM]
techmobile -- that sounds super cool!

cristinalibrarian [10:23 AM]
I don't know why I never thought about her. Yeah, the Techmobile is pretty awesome: https://sfpl.org/?pg=2000795701
SFPL
TechMobile
The website of the San Francisco Public Library.
[10:23 AM]
Let's move on to the Video Workgroup -- @aforrester?

aforrester [10:24 AM]
So, Heather and I have fleshed out our sections pretty well
[10:24 AM]
I just sent emails to two of my DPL colleagues who earlier agreed to do interviews on storyboarding and movie creation, as well as making comics

cristinalibrarian [10:25 AM]
Very cool!

aforrester [10:25 AM]
We are still looking for someone to interview about creating a movie or book poster. Anyone have any leads?

cristinalibrarian [10:26 AM]
I don't, but I can ask my colleagues

aforrester [10:26 AM]
Oh, and one on using DSLR cameras with kids

cristinalibrarian [10:26 AM]
We have about 65 youth services librarians here at SFPL with a lot of different experience

aforrester [10:26 AM]
That would be great! Thanks Cristina!
[10:26 AM]
I think Heather is looking into interviewing her boss about green screen

cristinalibrarian [10:27 AM]
I definitely have someone to ask about a green screen -- we have one in our Teen digital learning lab

aforrester [10:27 AM]
Awesome, if it doesn't pan out with her boss, I'll let her know to contact you

anewman [10:27 AM]
If it's just a matter of creating a poster,  I'm pretty handy with graphic design in publisher --  or were you looking for something more sophisticated?

aforrester [10:27 AM]
Are we wanting interviews for all activities listed or just some?
[10:28 AM]
I was looking for someone who has experience doing a book/movie poster creation program with tweens

cristinalibrarian [10:28 AM]
Good question @aforrester, what do ya'll think?

anewman [10:28 AM]
I thought it was just for a few activities -- like highlighted sidebars

Evan [10:28 AM]
That was my understanding. Not all of them. Just peppered throughout.

aforrester [10:28 AM]
Heather and I initially thought we should just get interviews for sections that didn't have a lot of online resources

cristinalibrarian [10:28 AM]
That's a cool approach
[10:29 AM]
I also thought they would be peppered

aforrester [10:29 AM]
awesome. Then if the DSLR and poster interviews don't come to be, it's not the end of the world. We'll still have 3 or 4
[10:29 AM]
for our section

cristinalibrarian [10:29 AM]
What about interview questions? Should we have a standard 3 questions or leave it open-ended?

Evan [10:30 AM]
Aren't the questions at the top of the document?

Dave [10:30 AM]
Yes.

cristinalibrarian [10:30 AM]
Oh my! Yes, you're correct!

anewman [10:30 AM]
I'd say open-ended -- i.e. if it's a great interview, include more than 3 answers.

Dave [10:30 AM]
I have already gone over mine with a colleague who has a minecraft club
[10:31 AM]
Just waiting for her responses.

Evan [10:31 AM]
:+1:

cristinalibrarian [10:31 AM]
@dave any other updates from the Gaming group?

Dave [10:31 AM]
I think the only thing we are waiting for is the interview...everything else is done.

cristinalibrarian [10:32 AM]
Great!
[10:33 AM]
We're all making great progress -- well done, all! (edited)
[10:33 AM]
:slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [10:33 AM]
:clap:

cristinalibrarian [10:33 AM]
@dave will you be at midwinter?

Dave [10:34 AM]
I will

cristinalibrarian [10:34 AM]
Wonderful
[10:35 AM]
Question for all: What would be most useful for you to have happen at our meeting?
[10:35 AM]
It's such a special chance for us to be in-person -- I'd like to make it as beneficial to both the work and each of us individually as possible

anewman [10:36 AM]
to make a timeline for completing the toolkit before July, when 1/2 of us will be stepping down.

Evan [10:36 AM]
For me, meeting everyone for the first time and getting the lay of the land.

aforrester [10:36 AM]
I agree with Alexa, I'm coming off the committee, so I want to be sure to leave things in good stead

Evan [10:37 AM]
Maybe completing the toolkit and seeing what project is up next.

cristinalibrarian [10:37 AM]
I'll also be coming off the committee, and I feel confident we can complete this by Annual
[10:38 AM]
I'd like to be able to create a final product that is easily "update-able" so that others can build off our work.

anewman [10:38 AM]
I found the link for that ALSC new member / all member dinner.  http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2017/12/first-time-2018-ala-midwinter-join-...
ALSC Blog
First time at 2018 ALA Midwinter? Join Us for a Welcome Dinner - ALSC Blog
Join the ALSC Membership committee for a "Dutch" (pay your own way) dinner the first night of ALA Midwinter in Denver!
Dec 29th

cristinalibrarian [10:39 AM]
Thanks for sharing!
[10:39 AM]
Well, as I said, I'm really looking forward to meeting/seeing you in Denver
[10:40 AM]
Does anyone else have anything else to share/announce/ask before we do our closing?

aforrester [10:40 AM]
While in Denver, if any of you want to drop by the Central Children's Library, we're having a bunch of author visits on Saturday
[10:40 AM]
https://www.denverlibrary.org/event/meet-and-make-children%27s-authors
denverlibrary.org
Meet and Make with Children’s Authors | Denver Public Library
During this free day-long celebration, award-winning children’s authors will share their bookmaking experiences and lead art and writing activities for kids. Books will be on hand to buy and have signed by the authors courtesy of Tattered Cover Book Store. 10:30am - Picture book author Jillian Tamaki 12:30pm - Chapter book author Jewell Parker Rhodes 2:30pm - Chapter book author Mariko Tamaki and illustrator Brooke Allen 3:30pm - Chapter book author Sayantani DasGupta

Evan [10:40 AM]
Is there anything in particular I need to bring for our meeting at midwinter?

Dave [10:40 AM]
Looks awesome!

cristinalibrarian [10:41 AM]
A laptop/ipad would be helpful for our meeting since everything is online

Evan [10:41 AM]
:+1:

cristinalibrarian [10:41 AM]
I'll secure poster paper and makers for us to brainstorm a timeline -- really like that idea, @anewman!
[10:41 AM]
*markers

aforrester [10:42 AM]
I can be sure to bring a laptop/ipad, since I'm in town.

cristinalibrarian [10:42 AM]
I'll also print copies of our latest version just in case

anewman [10:42 AM]
I'll have my surface with me.

cristinalibrarian [10:43 AM]
Can everyone be there for the whole meeting?

Dave [10:43 AM]
I have to check my YALSA committee schedule

cristinalibrarian [10:43 AM]
Please let me know as soon as you know @dave

aforrester [10:44 AM]
Yep. I'll be there!

Dave [10:44 AM]
I will

Evan [10:44 AM]
I should be there for it's entirety.

cristinalibrarian [10:44 AM]
Fantastic
[10:44 AM]
Well, if there aren't any other announcements/questions -- let's do our closing:
[10:45 AM]
What's going well so far in your library in 2018?

Evan [10:45 AM]
Our library system was just awarded the Georgia Public Library of the Year! Woohoo!

aforrester [10:46 AM]
We're hiring a new 40 hour librarian! The job is open through Friday (hint hint)
[10:46 AM]
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/denverlibrary/jobs/1949496/childr...
governmentjobs.com
Job Opportunities | Denver Public Library Jobs(55 kB)
https://www.governmentjobs.com/AgencyPages/denverlibrary/agencyImages/do...

anewman [10:47 AM]
Winter 'Reading is about half way through; construction project phase one is almost done -- we move into our new offices / space next month --

Evan [10:47 AM]
excellent!

cristinalibrarian [10:48 AM]
Ooh! Exciting! You and @dave have had big facility projects --

Dave [10:48 AM]
We are genrefying our fiction collection now

anewman [10:49 AM]
stickering or separating them out by genre, Dave?

cristinalibrarian [10:49 AM]
We've expanded our summer programming expectations for all of our 28 locations to host a weekly STEM program for the 10 weeks of summer. It definitely raises the bar, but we're given our librarians more support than ever before to plan and be intentional about school-age to teen programming in the summer.

Dave [10:50 AM]
Assigning a major genre to each book, separating them by that genre, and re-labeling all titles

aforrester [10:50 AM]
That's awesome, Cristina!

cristinalibrarian [10:50 AM]
Big project Dave!
[10:50 AM]
I agree Amy!

Dave [10:51 AM]
It is...but it's going to pay big dividends in circulation, I think

cristinalibrarian [10:51 AM]
Good luck Dave

Dave [10:51 AM]
Cristina...I am always blown away by pl summer reading programs.
[10:52 AM]
How do you folks manage to accomplish so much?!?

aforrester [10:52 AM]
Sheer adrenaline! :wink:

cristinalibrarian [10:52 AM]
I honestly have NO idea -- I'm living and breathing summer all day every day for the next 2 months

Evan [10:52 AM]
Ha!

cristinalibrarian [10:52 AM]
:laughing:

Evan [10:52 AM]
It's true.

anewman [10:52 AM]
yep
[10:52 AM]
I'm already waist deep in SRP planning!

Evan [10:53 AM]
From January - August.

cristinalibrarian [10:53 AM]
Exactly!
[10:53 AM]
Thank you all for a great meeting
[10:53 AM]
It's a joy to work with you

Evan [10:53 AM]
Thank you.

aforrester [10:53 AM]
Thanks, Cristina!

cristinalibrarian [10:53 AM]
Be well everyone and see you on Feb. 11th at 8:30am in the Crestone Ballroom in the Embassy Suites!

aforrester [10:53 AM]
Can't wait to see you all in Denver!

Evan [10:53 AM]
Looking forward to it!

cristinalibrarian [10:53 AM]
:smile:

Dave [10:53 AM]
Travel safe, everyone.

aforrester [10:53 AM]
I think maybe the google invite is an hour off?
[10:54 AM]
It's showing 9:30am on my calendar

cristinalibrarian [10:54 AM]
Thanks, I'll double check that
[10:54 AM]
Amy, it's correct on my calendar --
[10:55 AM]
Goodbye, all

aforrester [10:56 AM]
Maybe my google is having a bad day. I'll just make a note to be there at 8:30 :slightly_smiling_face:

cristinalibrarian [10:56 AM]
Great!
[10:56 AM]
Bring your coffee :slightly_smiling_face: It's early

More...

Online Doc December 22 2017 SAPS Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 06:05 pm

aforrester [8:52 AM]
Hi SAPS friends, Cristina won't be able to make our meeting, so she asked me to facilitate. She shared some notes with me, and we have her stellar agenda to work from. I'm confident we can get a lot done today :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [8:53 AM]
shared this file
SAPS December 2017 Meeting Agenda.docx
Word Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

anewman [8:54 AM]
Hi Amy

aforrester [8:54 AM]
Hi Alexa

Evan [8:55 AM]
Hey Y'all.

aforrester [8:52 AM]
Hi SAPS friends, Cristina won't be able to make our meeting, so she asked me to facilitate. She shared some notes with me, and we have her stellar agenda to work from. I'm confident we can get a lot done today :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [8:53 AM]
shared this file
SAPS December 2017 Meeting Agenda.docx
Word Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

anewman [8:54 AM]
Hi Amy

aforrester [8:54 AM]
Hi Alexa

Evan [8:55 AM]
Hey Y'all.

aforrester [8:55 AM]
Welcome, Evan! Nice to meet you.

dave [8:55 AM]
Hey everybody!

Evan [8:55 AM]
Nice to be here. :slightly_smiling_face: This is my first time using slack. Assume I know nothing.

aforrester [8:56 AM]
I'm sure you'll catch on in no time. In the meantime, feel free to holler if something doesn't make sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

[8:56]
Hi Dave!

[8:58]
While we're waiting for the others to join us, feel free to share something you're working on, whether in libraryland or beyond.

anewman [8:58 AM]
Welcome aboard, Evan.  Hi Dave!

Evan [8:58 AM]
Hey Alexa!

hmthompson [8:59 AM]
Hello!

aforrester [8:59 AM]
Hi Heather!

anewman [9:00 AM]
I'm prepping for Winter Reading program,  soliciting prizes from local businesses;  starting planning for summer Drama Camp; ditto for Teaching Garden and Junior Master Gardeners; writing a few grants for community partnership programs; and preparing for our move to our new digs -- first phase of construction is slated to be completed mid Feb  ..... so just the same old, same old.

aforrester [9:01 AM]
Tis the season for planning, isn't it?

[9:01]
I'm prepping to lead our mock discussions in Feb, so I know the feeling!

dave [9:02 AM]
I am always impressed by what the public libraries are able to do..and how much work goes into it!

anewman [9:02 AM]
definitely!   how fun -- That's something we've never tried here.  Would love to talk about it at midwinter.

aforrester [9:02 AM]
One of my favorite events of the year, we can definitely chat at midwinter :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [9:02 AM]
Thanks, Dave.  I'm equally impressed by how school libraries accomplish so much with so little.

Evan [9:03 AM]
Summer Drama Camp sounds intriguing

aforrester [9:03 AM]
Let's go ahead and get started. I know Susie has to teach, so she can't make it. Not sure about Lisa and Anthony, but hopefully they'll join us soon.

anewman [9:04 AM]
It is! :grinning:   Check out the fall issue of Children and Libraries -- I wrote an article.

aforrester [9:04 AM]
First of all, please give a hearty welcome to Evan Bush, our newest committee member! Welcome, Evan!

hmthompson [9:04 AM]
Heyyyyy!

Evan [9:04 AM]
Thank you. Glad to be here. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [9:04 AM]
Oh, wow, Alexa!  I have it right here on my desk!

anewman [9:04 AM]
Welcome!!!

aforrester [9:05 AM]
We're super excited to have you on the team, Evan. Please feel free to jump in with questions if something is confusing, I know how tough it can be to join the committee while we're in mid-project

Evan [9:06 AM]
Will do!

aforrester [9:06 AM]
Also, Evan is in need of a blog post slot. Anyone interested in giving him yours?

aforrester [9:06 AM]
shared cristinalibrarian’s file
ALSC SAPS Blog schedule_18
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

dave [9:06 AM]
He can have mine.

[9:06]
I just did one last month

Evan [9:07 AM]
May 26th?

aforrester [9:07 AM]
Thanks, Dave.

dave [9:08 AM]
May is a budy month, project wise, and I can write about genrefication in the fall.

[9:08]
busy

Evan [9:08 AM]
Sounds good!

dave [9:08 AM]
Thank you, Evan!

aforrester [9:08 AM]
Wonderful, I've gone ahead and updated the schedule

Evan [9:08 AM]
And the topic is for me to decide?

dave [9:08 AM]
Yes

aforrester [9:08 AM]
Yes, anything related to SAPS is up for grabs.

Evan [9:08 AM]
Excellent!

[9:09]
What are the ages or grades covered by School-Age? K-5?

aforrester [9:09 AM]
There's info linked at the top of the doc and Cristina generally sends an email reminder about your deadline

[9:09]
Hmmm, good question. Feel free to chime in, team.

[9:09]
I'd say K-5 or K-6

[9:10]
especially since we're working on a maker toolkit for tweens

Evan [9:10 AM]
That makes sense.

hmthompson [9:10 AM]
I would agree with that age range.

anewman [9:10 AM]
I'd say K-8 for age/grade .... that tends to be the levels for ys in my region

Evan [9:11 AM]
We usually do Pre-K-5, but going higher is great.

aforrester [9:11 AM]
ALSC tends to cover 0-14, so you're probably on target, Alexa.

dave [9:11 AM]
I am in a 5-8 school

[9:11]
grades, soory

[9:11]
sorry

aforrester [9:11 AM]
And you can focus on a particular segment of grades for your post, too

[9:12]
Awesome, let's move to looking at the toolkit now

aforrester [9:12 AM]
shared cristinalibrarian’s file
SAPS Maker Toolkit v4
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

aforrester [9:12 AM]
Gah, sorry, wrong one

aforrester [9:13 AM]
shared this file
SAPS Maker Toolkit v5
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

aforrester [9:13 AM]
Here we go, this is the most current version.

[9:13]
Evan, has Cristina given you any context on the toolkit?

Evan [9:15 AM]
a little

aforrester [9:15 AM]
The toolkit is something we've been working on for 2 years now. Our collective goal: Have our content mainly complete by MidWinter and focus that meeting on the other elements of the toolkit, such as introductory text, thinking about graphics, layouts, tags, etc.

[9:15]
Oh good :slightly_smiling_face:

Evan [9:15 AM]
a wordpress blog that is searchable for maker activities

aforrester [9:16 AM]
Yes, at our last meeting we all really loved the idea of a wordpress blog

[9:16]
Cristina hasn't gotten anymore info from ALSC yet about support for graphics or how a wordpress could take shape

[9:16]
However, we can still get a lot done today on the content

[9:17]
I'm thinking each team can share out their status on their section, as well as any questions around activities, resources, or interviews.

[9:17]
Then we can spend some time talking about interviews and standardized questions for those

[9:18]
As a reminder, our action items from last meeting:
Streamline each section to just 3 activities per category
Tighten up the activity options to be brief (include links whenever possible)
Flesh out resources/tools
Decide which sections need interviews
Decide which sections might need to be deleted

[9:19]
Alexa, do you want to get us started for the Hardware Team?

anewman [9:19 AM]
sure

aforrester [9:19 AM]
Hi Lisa! :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [9:19 AM]
Hi!

anewman [9:19 AM]
Cristina and I still need to meet and get down to the nitty gritty --  we haven't coordinated yet,  so there hasn't been a lot of progress.

[9:20]
That said,  we are working with robots  and sewing.

aforrester [9:20 AM]
Evan, Cristina was thinking you might be able to jump on the Hardware Team with her and Alexa. Does that sound like it might work for you?

anewman [9:20 AM]
That would be great!!!!

Evan [9:21 AM]
That would be great! I'm down with sewing robots. :wink:

aforrester [9:21 AM]
Fantastic!

anewman [9:21 AM]
I think that interviewing a librarian who uses some of the different techs we've highlighted might be interesting.

[9:22]
Otherwise,  we just need to create a task list and timeline to flesh out our areas.

aforrester [9:22 AM]
I agree, that would be great. Are you thinking of interviewing librarians who've done specific programs or worked with specific tech (or both?

Evan [9:22 AM]
We have a pretty good one at our library. She's worked with a lot of the things on the list.

anewman [9:23 AM]
Yes ...  there is a networking group in the Chicago area  that  meets regularly to share and introduce tech.

[9:23]
our YS technology librarian was an officer for a while.

lisakimno [9:23 AM]
I curated this pinterest page of activities with tech if any of the resources are helpful. https://www.pinterest.com/technologylendinglibrary/ we have a new Technology Lending Library so I've been working with the tech on that page
Pinterest
Technology Lending Library (technologylendinglibrary)
See what Technology Lending Library (technologylendinglibrary) has discovered on Pinterest, the world's biggest collection of everybody's favorite things.
 
 

aforrester [9:23 AM]
Sounds like there are several options for interviews, that's great!

anewman [9:24 AM]
That's awesome, Lisa -- a lending tech library!!!

[9:24]
love it!

aforrester [9:24 AM]
Are there any other specific questions you have about the Hardware section?

Evan [9:24 AM]
That's fantastic.

anewman [9:25 AM]
no -- we just need to get moving on it.

Evan [9:25 AM]
Let me know how and when I can help. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [9:25 AM]
Cool cool. I'll leave it to the three of you to work on the action items Cristina set for us. I'll recap them in the meeting notes email.

[9:25]
Heather, would you like to share out about our Video Team section?

hmthompson [9:26 AM]
Sure.

[9:27]
So, the video team has many components--both literal video stuff like making book trailers, and tangentially related things like Harry Potter/wizard activites, anime, and other fandom maker-type stuff.

[9:28]
We need a few interviews, but are hoping that someone in the group might have experience with these programs so that we don't need to look outside:

[9:28]
-DSLR Photography

[9:28]
-Green screen programs

[9:29]
-Movie/Book Posters

[9:29]
And I think that's it, because Amy has other interviewees at Denver PL ready.

anewman [9:29 AM]
We just tried green screen as staff for the first time last week.  I can ask my coworkers about it.

aforrester [9:29 AM]
Thanks, Heather. That's a great recap :slightly_smiling_face:

[9:30]
That would be great, Alexa. Thanks!

[9:30]
Overall, I feel like we have fleshed out the activities, resources, and tools quite nicely, it's just the interviews really.

hmthompson [9:30 AM]
Agreed

aforrester [9:31 AM]
If anyone else has leads on people to interview, let us know.

[9:31]
It looks like we might have to skip the Talk Team section, as Anthony and Susie aren't here to report out.

[9:32]
So let's skip over to Gaming. Dave and Lisa?

dave [9:32 AM]
Let's see...

[9:32]
Lisa and I edited our section on gaming to conform to the formatting we decided

lisakimno [9:33 AM]
I think we're in a similar boat, just missing the interviews!

dave [9:33 AM]
Yes, I have a fellow librarian I am going to interview who runs an after school minecraft club

[9:34]
One of my colleagues here in my school district

aforrester [9:35 AM]
I've just added a section at the top of the toolkit for us to add the types of interviews we need

[9:35]
Go ahead and add your interview needs as you identify them.

[9:35]
If one of us has a lead on an interview, we can then comment with info

hmthompson [9:36 AM]
that's a good idea

aforrester [9:37 AM]
If there are things we can't cover with our hive mind, I'm sure Cristina will have some insight on the best way for us to reach out as a committee. I'll make a note to ask her.

Evan [9:37 AM]
We've done stop-motion monster movies this past October if that's any help to anyone on the video team.

aforrester [9:38 AM]
Thanks, Evan! that sounds like an awesome program and perfect for an interview.

[9:39]
I've also just added the questions Dave and Lisa came up with for interviews.

[9:39]
Does anyone have any feedback on the questions? Anything we'd like to tweak or add?

[9:39]
*Added the questions at the top of the toolkit

dave [9:40 AM]
There was also the question about goals that you suggested, Amy.

[9:40]
I am assuming you added it in?

aforrester [9:40 AM]
Yep, just tweaked it a bit to match your wording and added it at the end. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [9:41 AM]
:+1:

Evan [9:41 AM]
Could I suggest a question regarding what books might connect to each particular activity?

aforrester [9:42 AM]
Great idea! Want to wordsmith something and add it to the list, Evan?

Evan [9:42 AM]
Absolutely!

aforrester [9:43 AM]
Cristina has a note on the agenda to look at next steps

[9:44]
If we feel the questions are good, perhaps we should start reaching out for interviews between now and the next meeting.

[9:45]
That way we can discuss any gaps at the next meeting and Cristina can help us figure out how to fill them from the greater ALSC population.

hmthompson [9:45 AM]
Sounds like a good plan

aforrester [9:45 AM]
Perhaps we can each shoot to have at least 2 interviews per team in the works by the next meeting?

[9:46]
More if we're able, but at least 2 to get the ball rolling?

lisakimno [9:46 AM]
that sounds doable

anewman [9:46 AM]
are we planning to have an interview for every section?

Evan [9:46 AM]
Is there a length we're looking for in the interviews?

aforrester [9:46 AM]
Good question. We haven't really talked about the final format of the interviews yet.

[9:46]
I'm not sure if they'll be in Q&A format or more of a summary.

[9:47]
For now, let's plan on collecting interview answers and then we can chat with Cristina at the next meeting about format

anewman [9:47 AM]
I was picturing them as feature boxes -- and scattered around the toolkit -- not necessarily every section.

aforrester [9:48 AM]
I was picturing something similar, but I think it may depend on the format of the final toolkit too (wordpress, something else, etc.)

[9:49]
Anymore questions or concerns on the toolkit or interview questions?

hmthompson [9:50 AM]
not from me

aforrester [9:50 AM]
Okie doke, if there's nothing else let's move on to our Midwinter check in.

[9:51]
Our meeting will be at the ALSC All-Committee Meeting, Embassy Suites, Crestone Ballroom
on Sunday, Feb. 11 th , 8:30am-11:30am

Evan [9:51 AM]
I'll be there. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [9:51 AM]
Can everyone just let me know if they're planning to be there or not?

anewman [9:51 AM]
I'll be there.

hmthompson [9:51 AM]
I'll be there, but I have to leave early because I have a presentation at 10:30.

lisakimno [9:52 AM]
I can't be there :sweat:

aforrester [9:52 AM]
I'll make a note of that for Cristina. What are you presenting on Heather?

[9:52]
We'll miss you Lisa!

lisakimno [9:52 AM]
Rural library life
 

dave [9:53 AM]
I have to check.

[9:53]
BFYA might be meeting at the same time

aforrester [9:53 AM]
BFYA?

dave [9:53 AM]
Best Fiction for Young Adults.

[9:53]
My YALSA committee

aforrester [9:53 AM]
gotcha

[9:53]
Ok, when you find out, just shoot Cristina an email.

dave [9:54 AM]
I will do that

hmthompson [9:54 AM]
"Confidence and Facilitation is Key; Infusing Technology into Youth Programs" -- it's with other students and professors from the University of Maryland's Youth Experience program

aforrester [9:54 AM]
That sounds fascinating, Heather! I wish we didn't have to go to a meeting so we could be there to cheer you on!

hmthompson [9:55 AM]
Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face: I have three things going on at Midwinter and they're all scheduled for Sunday!

aforrester [9:55 AM]
Whew! That'll be a whirlwind for sure.

[9:55]
Any other questions or thoughts about Midwinter?

[9:56]
The final thing on the agenda is: What are you looking forward to in your library in 2018?

anewman [9:57 AM]
Completion of our building expansion --  all the new spaces, etc.  It's gonna be so cool!

Evan [9:57 AM]
Beginning renovation plans for our children's area :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [9:57 AM]
Parent workshops and hammering out who does what! we have a new youth librarian - so 2 full time youth librarians - for the first time in ever!

aforrester [9:57 AM]
Oooo lots of renovations in the new year!

hmthompson [9:57 AM]
I'm planning to go to this 2-day "Kidding Around Yoga" training thing in January, which means I can offer some yoga classes for free at the library! https://okay.kiddingaroundyoga.com/trainings/madison-wi-training/
Online Kidding Around Yoga
Madison, WI Training - Online Kidding Around Yoga
Join Marcie Robinson in Madison, WI for a kids yoga teacher training with Kidding Around Yoga.
 

aforrester [9:57 AM]
Wow, congrats on the additional librarian!

Evan [9:57 AM]
That sounds awesome Heather. I teach yoga at the library. Love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [9:58 AM]
are you a yoga teacher, Heather?  I'm just starting to research / pick out a school for my 200

hmthompson [9:59 AM]
Nope! This program only certifies you (not fully registers) to teach kids yoga. It seems more like silly storytime-type yoga than anything strenuous.

anewman [9:59 AM]
you an instructor too, Evan?

aforrester [9:59 AM]
I'm excited for Midwinter to be in Denver! And because of that, we'll be having a Saturday of author visits at my library. We're within walking distance of the Convention Center, so feel free to stop by! https://www.denverlibrary.org/event/meet-and-make-children%27s-authors
denverlibrary.org
Meet and Make with Children’s Authors | Denver Public Library
During this free day-long celebration, award-winning children’s authors will share their bookmaking experiences and lead art and writing activities for kids. Books will be on hand to buy and have signed by the authors courtesy of Tattered Cover Book Store. 10:30am - Picture book author Jillian Tamaki 12:30pm - Chapter book author Jewell Parker Rhodes 2:30pm - Chapter book author Mariko Tamaki and illustrator Brooke Allen 3:30pm - Chapter book author Sayantani DasGupta

dave [9:59 AM]
I'd love to take yoga

aforrester [9:59 AM]
We had a yoga storytime for a while, it was super fun :slightly_smiling_face:

Evan [9:59 AM]
Yes. I'm certified in Kundalina Yoga, and do a simplified version with the kids.

aforrester [9:59 AM]
Alright everyone, thanks so much for a great meeting and for rolling with the punches while I filled in for Cristina.

[10:00]
Feel free to keep chatting, but I've got to run to the front desk

Evan [10:00 AM]
Nice to meet everyone! Excited to see y'all at Midwinter.

lisakimno [10:00 AM]
Thanks so much!

dave [10:00 AM]
You as well, Evan!

aforrester [10:00 AM]
I'll send out notes from the meeting with action items and I'm sure Cristina will follow up too

[10:00]
Hooray for Midwinter! Can't wait!

hmthompson [10:00 AM]
See you all soon!

dave [10:00 AM]
Have a great holiday, everyone

[10:01]
Today is the last day of school here...so you can imagine what school is like!

Evan [10:01 AM]
Thanks for leading the meeting Amy. Everyone have a great holiday!

anewman [10:01 AM]
Happy Holidays!!  See most of you in Denver!

[10:01]
Thanks, Amy!!!

dave [10:04 AM]
left #december2017meeting.

More...

Online Doc November 30 2017 SAPS Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 11:23 am

cristinalibrarian [10:44 AM]
joined #november2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian [10:44 AM]
joined #november2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian
[12:56 PM]
Hi folks! ICYMI, here's Dave's blog from November: http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2017/11/learned-library-renovation/
ALSC Blog
What I Learned in a Library Renovation - ALSC Blog
A concerted effort by librarians in my school district, Williamsville Central Schools, to upgrade our library facilities finally bore fruit when I was given the given the opportunity to renovate the library at Heim Middle School, where I have been the librarian for more than twenty years. I was fortunate enough to be able to select both new furniture and carpeting. The furniture in the library was original to the opening of the school in 1965 (first named North Forest Junior High), and the carpeting Show more…
Nov 24th at 9:01 PM

aforrester [12:57 PM]
joined #november2017meeting.

aforrester [12:59 PM]
Hi there!

cristinalibrarian [12:59 PM]
Hi Amy!

[1:02]
I received a few nos and maybes for this meeting. We'll wait a few minutes to see who can join us.

lisakimno [1:02 PM]
joined #november2017meeting.

lisakimno [1:02 PM]
Hello!

cristinalibrarian [1:03 PM]
Hi Lisa!

[1:03]
How goes it in Nevada City or Denver?

aforrester [1:04 PM]
Busy! We're prepping for our annual Best & Brightest event. We unveil our list of best children's and teen books and have a celebration and panel discussion for metro area colleagues. Lots of fun, but lots of work :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:04]
How about SF?

cristinalibrarian [1:04 PM]
That sounds so fun!

lisakimno [1:04 PM]
Busy here too. Staffing changes and training and launching things and spending up annual year funds!

[1:04]
How's san francisco?!

cristinalibrarian
[1:04 PM]
Ah, so you all work on a calendar year, Lisa?

lisakimno [1:04 PM]
Just for Friends money. County money is fiscal.

cristinalibrarian
[1:05 PM]
OIC

[1:05]
SF is good. I'm the lead on Summer Programming for youth so gearing up to do all that booking, planning, and partnership work in January - Feb. Wild!

[1:06]
Are both of you going to be a Midwinter?

hmthompson [1:06 PM]
joined #november2017meeting.

hmthompson [1:06 PM]
Hi All--sorry, I couldn't find the channel!

aforrester [1:06 PM]
yes, indeed! Excited for Midwinter!

lisakimno [1:07 PM]
I have to admit I've been afraid to ask. I don't know who to ask right now since all our leadership is shifting around and it's been a little tense. I will get my nerve up next week.

cristinalibrarian [1:07 PM]
Good luck, Lisa! We would love to have you there.

aforrester [1:07 PM]
We're having a children's book author day of visits on Saturday during Midwinter, so feel free to come by and visit the Central Children's Library

 

cristinalibrarian [1:07 PM]
Welcome, Heather!

[1:08]
I forgot that people can't usually find the channel, so I just posted it in the #general channel. Glad you found us @hmthompson

anewman [1:08 PM]
joined #november2017meeting.

anewman [1:08 PM]
sorry I'm late -- was running from another meeting
!

cristinalibrarian [1:09 PM]
Glad you're here @anewman

[1:09]
This may be us today. Anthony and Dave are unable to join us and hopefully Susie can join us too.

[1:11]
Let's do a quick check: Can we each share 1 thing that is going well in terms of school services in our work?

hmthompson [1:12 PM]
At our jobs? Or with the toolkit?

cristinalibrarian [1:12 PM]
At our jobs :slightly_smiling_face: And then we'll jump into the toolkit

aforrester [1:12 PM]
We've been approved to hire an additional 40 hour children's librarian at my library, which will help my library expand our services for K-3rd

 

hmthompson [1:12 PM]
Gotcha.

anewman [1:13 PM]
do you mean school age programs, or services to schools?

cristinalibrarian [1:13 PM]
Either one @anewman

anewman [1:13 PM]
okay -- I was overthinking :grinning:

cristinalibrarian [1:13 PM]
np!

lisakimno [1:14 PM]
I am launching the technology lending library for teachers this week to make tech kits available for use in the classroom, and am doing some outreach to teachers about it through the superintendent's office

cristinalibrarian [1:14 PM]
We have successfully collaborated with our school district to get student records into our ILS so that we eliminate the paper application for students to get library cards. We've been activating student cards at whole elementary and middle school which has been really exciting.

anewman [1:14 PM]
We are in the middle of an expansion/addition to the library -- we're adding study rooms, create-space, reconfiguring the entire department -- plus getting lots of stuff for teens and early learners too.

hmthompson [1:14 PM]
I did an Engineering Mystery Bag program for 3rd-5th graders recently. It wasn't highly attended for whatever reason, but the kids who came had a blast. I actually got a "this was the most fun ever!" out of one of them. Basically, they just got a bunch of stuff in a paper bag and were instructed to make something that moves.

cristinalibrarian
[1:15 PM]
Really cool stuff, everyone!

[1:15]
I love hearing what work we do. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:15]
If you're ever unsure about something to write for your blog slot, any of these would be great topics.

[1:15]
A quick reminder about our schedule: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZwiAQhpuFQDutoQCc0-zZKF6DsiAM3MzYKlq...

cristinalibrarian
[1:15 PM]
shared this file
ALSC SAPS Blog schedule_18
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

cristinalibrarian [1:16 PM]
Great! Let's go into the toolkit...

[1:17]
Thanks for sharing some sample toolkits out there:

cristinalibrarian [1:17 PM]
shared this file
Sample Toolkits - SAPS
Spreadsheet from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

cristinalibrarian
[1:17 PM]
I have to admit that I haven't been able to go through them all. What about you?

lisakimno [1:18 PM]
Definitely not (sorry)

anewman [1:18 PM]
not the way I should have.

hmthompson [1:19 PM]
Just a couple (I went and tried to find some to contribute while looking through the list and came up with nothin'). Looking through now.

cristinalibrarian
[1:19 PM]
Let's take a moment to look through them. There are a lot of different formats...

[1:19]
If you have one that you particular love, please share that out with the group!

hmthompson [1:20 PM]
I'm really feeling the Social Justice Toolbox as a website. It feels laid out in the way that librarians think.

cristinalibrarian [1:21 PM]
me too @hmthompson

lisakimno [1:22 PM]
The activity finder on that one is cool

[1:22]
I wonder if they used tags and then sorted by tags?

aforrester [1:22 PM]
@hmthompson me too. I like the ease of navigating a website like the Social Justice toolbox

cristinalibrarian [1:23 PM]
Does anyone know anyone at the SJTB to be able to find out a bit more about their process?

[1:24]
I really like how there are topic headings on the left and then the categories on the right in terms of length of time, etc.

aforrester [1:24 PM]
I agree, the layout is very clean and clear

cristinalibrarian
[1:25 PM]
I just added a column for us to mark which are our faves

lisakimno [1:25 PM]
No I don't know anyone there

hmthompson [1:25 PM]
Insofar as a document-style toolkit, I like the LSSPCC. So clean and lovely.

[1:26]
I don't know anyone there either.

cristinalibrarian
[1:26 PM]
I also really like the library service to special population because its an example of a very clear PDF format and i could see us creating something like this

aforrester [1:26 PM]
I don't know anyone either

hmthompson [1:26 PM]
Absolutely @cristinalibrarian

cristinalibrarian [1:26 PM]
would anyone be willing to reach out to SJTB?

anewman [1:26 PM]
No, I don't know anyone on SJTB ; I really look/feel of the Vision, Values Voice toolkit -- but I'm also highly visual, so it appeals to me personally, as a resource I would actually dig into,.

aforrester [1:27 PM]
I love the graphics for the VVV toolkit, but the large blocks of text are a bit overwhelming

cristinalibrarian
[1:27 PM]
i agree @anewman that toolkit is visually stunning

[1:27]
i agree with you as well @aforrester

aforrester [1:28 PM]
I wish the Libraries Transform toolkit didn't require login

cristinalibrarian
[1:28 PM]
truthfully, i think the easiest for us to produce is a document versus a website unless any of us have web design experience and could volunteer our time to design this

anewman [1:29 PM]
agree

hmthompson [1:29 PM]
I agree. I think we would need assistance on ALSC's end to produce such a cool website.

aforrester [1:29 PM]
ditto

anewman [1:29 PM]
won't alsc be helping us with the design, though?

lisakimno [1:29 PM]
Do we have a budget for this toolkit? I wonder what web vs paper design price difference is

cristinalibrarian
[1:30 PM]
i like the libraries transform portion where there are the colored blocks because i could see us doing something like "If your tweens like talking" instead of the "Because the Internet shouldn't have a slow lane"

[1:30]
I believe we have $100

lisakimno [1:30 PM]
Ok probably not going far on that web-wise!

cristinalibrarian [1:30 PM]
and we would have to apply for grant funding for graphic work. I haven't applied for funding because the scope of our toolkit has still been TBD

anewman [1:31 PM]
and you answered my question before I could ask it.

cristinalibrarian [1:32 PM]
What I'm hearing is that we like the SJTB format, but may have to create something more like the LSSPC.

[1:32]
I can go back to ALSC leadership and see what's possible for us to create something like SJTB

[1:32]
It doesn't look too complicated, but then again....

lisakimno [1:33 PM]
If it's just a fancy blog with tags and things it shouldn't be too complicated. If I wasn't feeling so squashed I would volunteer but I know I will let y'all down when I can't do it.

cristinalibrarian [1:34 PM]
A blog is a good way to think about it.... What do others think about that idea?

[1:34]
I like that it could be something we could easily update

hmthompson [1:34 PM]
I think a blog would be a doable format, since you can make use of tags to find relevant programs.

aforrester [1:34 PM]
I think a blog makes sense

[1:34]
Do we have a plan for maintenance?

lisakimno [1:34 PM]
It's a Wordpress blog I just checked the source code!

anewman [1:34 PM]
I agree

[1:35]
updating would be easier in a blog format, too.

cristinalibrarian [1:35 PM]
@aforrester we don't have a plan, but we could propose one.

[1:35]
i like where this discussion is going

[1:36]
ok, well it sounds like wordpress could be a way to go. and we already have an account through ALSC for the blog...

aforrester [1:36 PM]
I like that, I think a blog will be more interactive and useful for browsing

anewman [1:37 PM]
And we can jazz it up with graphics -- for a lot less than hiring an artist

cristinalibrarian
[1:37 PM]
Ok, sounds like we're at a good place in terms of format. A wordpress blog.

[1:38]
I'll explore what's possible with ALSC in terms of hosting, graphics, etc.

[1:38]
Let's check in about content...

[1:39]
Back in September our action items were to: streamline each section to just 3 activities per category, tighten up the activity options to be brief (include links whenever possible), flesh out resources/tools, decide which sections need interviews or might need to be deleted.

[1:39]
Some of us were able to do this and some groups not.

lisakimno [1:39 PM]
:grimacing:

cristinalibrarian
[1:40 PM]
Is there any support anyone needs to be able to do the above items? We're a team here. And this is a volunteer service, so no shame! But I would love to check in about any support you all need.

[1:41]
That's where my idea for a team lead came in (sorry haven't been able to get back to you @hmthompson about your question) because I thought if we could have someone accountable for the group's work that would be helpful, but that may feel like more work.

aforrester [1:41 PM]
I feel pretty good about the Video Team section. I think we have a few minor tweaks to make, but overall it's in a good place.

[1:41]
I think most of my questions will be answered once we figure out the final format and what we want to do with interviews.

cristinalibrarian
[1:41 PM]
agree! Any tips you can offer us as to how you were able to get that work done?

aforrester [1:42 PM]
We had a productive Slack meeting last month, that helped a lot

cristinalibrarian
[1:42 PM]
So you and heather used Slack to meet and discuss?

hmthompson [1:42 PM]
Yep!

cristinalibrarian
[1:42 PM]
right on!

lisakimno [1:42 PM]
That's awesome!

aforrester [1:42 PM]
we used the channel you set up for us

cristinalibrarian [1:42 PM]
:slightly_smiling_face:

[1:43]
Others: do you think we can commit to meeting with our group on slack in december to complete those action items? I can resend the channels that i set up for each group

[1:44]
i'm also happy to join in on any of those slack meetings

[1:44]
if that would be helpful

lisakimno [1:45 PM]
Yes! and if anyone really wants another group, or feels passionate about hacking or gaming or minecraft, I'm sure Dave wouldn't be sad - we've been slow at finishing our tasks.

cristinalibrarian
[1:45 PM]
Def feel free to open up your groups. I know we've been looking at this content for a while so fresh eyes could be great.

[1:47]
My hope is that we can complete those action items by January. In our January meeting, we can start brainstorming the other parts of the toolkit, i.e. introductory text to the toolkit, intro text to your section, etc. and when we meet in February that we can really use that 3 hour meeting as a working meeting to write, revise, and actually work on our blog platform on our laptops (if we have them).

[1:47]
What do you think?

hmthompson [1:48 PM]
That sounds good.

aforrester [1:48 PM]
I'm in!

lisakimno [1:48 PM]
That sounds great!

anewman [1:48 PM]
I will give it my best shot

cristinalibrarian [1:49 PM]
:slightly_smiling_face:

[1:49]
I appreciate your willingness!

[1:49]
It's not easy working on this type of project virtually

[1:50]
if there are any questions, things we need to clarify, things you think would work better than how we're doing things, please let me know anytime. here in our meeting or email. I'm learning as I go in chairing this committee!

[1:50]
Working with you all is awesome, but keeping up the motivation and drive is a challenge for me as well without the facetime

lisakimno [1:51 PM]
Thanks Cristina! Glad to have you as chair!

hmthompson [1:51 PM]
You're doing a great job. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [1:51 PM]
We appreciate you keeping us on track!

cristinalibrarian [1:51 PM]
Thanks, all! :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:52]
Before we finish, can you let me know if there are times in December when you're taking time off from work? I'm trying to think about scheduling our Dec. meeting

[1:52]
I'll be off on Dec. 26th but otherwise working. Trying to save up that vacay time for a honeymoon. :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [1:53 PM]
I'm off Dec 28-Jan 1

hmthompson [1:53 PM]
I'm off 12/29-1/2

lisakimno [1:53 PM]
I'm off same as Heather!

anewman [1:54 PM]
I'm off 28-27, and 2-3 and we'll be shorthanded the other days we're open that week.

cristinalibrarian
[1:54 PM]
OK, i'll send out a doodle soon. Thanks!

[1:55]
So a review of action items...

[1:55]
I will explore wordpress blog with ALSC for hosting and graphics

[1:55]
and we will all work with our teams to wrap up the sept. action items. streamline each section to just 3 activities per category, tighten up the activity options to be brief (include links whenever possible), flesh out resources/tools, decide which sections need interviews or might need to be deleted.

[1:56]
Thumbs up?

[1:56]
Please let me know when you're meeting with your teams on slack as I'd love to join u

[1:57]
And @aforrester you're on for the Dec. blog spot! :slightly_smiling_face:

aforrester [1:57 PM]
I'm on it! :slightly_smiling_face:

cristinalibrarian
[1:57 PM]
Anything else anyone wants to add, ask or share?

hmthompson [1:57 PM]
Not I. :slightly_smiling_face:

anewman [1:58 PM]
Have a great December, everyone!

hmthompson [1:58 PM]
You too!

cristinalibrarian
[1:58 PM]
Happy Dec. 1st, all!

aforrester [1:58 PM]
Happy 12th month!

cristinalibrarian
[1:58 PM]
Ok, that sounds like a wrap.

[1:58]
Be well, all!

hmthompson [1:58 PM]
You too. Bye all!

lisakimno [1:58 PM]
Thanks!

aforrester [1:58 PM]
laters!

new messages
anewman [1:59 PM]
bye! :slightly_smiling_face:

More...

Online Doc October 20 2017 SAPS Meeting

by Cristina Mitra on Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 05:29 pm

cristinalibrarian [12:42 PM]
Meeting Agenda:
1. Welcome
2. Toolkit Discussion
3. Toolkit Workgroup Shareouts
4. Next Steps Discussion
5. Blog Schedule Check-in
6. Announcements

ajbaltiero
[12:43 PM]
joined #october2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian [12:44 PM]
Hi @ajbaltiero! You were able to make it. Thanks to you and especially your wife. :slightly_smiling_face:

ajbaltiero
[12:44 PM]
I’m glad I was able to make it! Yes she’s the best! :nerd_face:

 

cristinalibrarian [12:42 PM]
Meeting Agenda:
1. Welcome
2. Toolkit Discussion
3. Toolkit Workgroup Shareouts
4. Next Steps Discussion
5. Blog Schedule Check-in
6. Announcements

ajbaltiero
[12:43 PM]
joined #october2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian [12:44 PM]
Hi @ajbaltiero! You were able to make it. Thanks to you and especially your wife. :slightly_smiling_face:

ajbaltiero
[12:44 PM]
I’m glad I was able to make it! Yes she’s the best! :nerd_face:

 

dave [12:50 PM]
joined #october2017meeting along with aforrester.

aforrester [12:56 PM]
Hello!

cristinalibrarian [12:56 PM]
Hi everyone! We'll get started in 5 min. For our welcoming question: please share out something new and good for you at your library in the last month. Very open-ended, whatever comes to your mind is good. (edited)

[12:57]
And please remind us all where you work. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [1:00 PM]
Dave Saia...Heim Middle school in Williamsville NY. Last year, our students were not allowed to use OverDrive for their morning reading in Homeroom m I was able to convince our administration and faculty to bring it back.

[1:00]
So now they can this year

aforrester [1:00 PM]
Amy Forrester - Denver Public Library. Over the past few months I've been working with out cataloging and collection development offices to create new subject headings to make books that support beginning readers easier to find. The subject headings went live in September: https://kids.denverlibrary.org/blog/finding-books-your-developing-reader. Fingers crossed it works as intended and that we have some data to show positive outcomes over the next few months.
Kids
Finding Books for Your Developing Reader
Is there a kid in your life who is developing their reading skills? One way to find books for them is to search the library catalog for "Early Books" or "Transitional Books". Early Books, meant for the earliest stages of the learning-to-read process, have just a sentence or two per page, easy to sound out words, and lots of helpful pictures. Here are a few examples of wonderful Early Books: Luke on the Loose by Harry Bliss Hello, Bumblebee Bat by Darrin P. Lunde Supertruck by Stephen Savage Duck! Show more…
Sep 6th at 9:17 AM

ajbaltiero
[1:01 PM]
Last weekend we had our first ever Maker Con at the Jacksonville Public Library! I was on the organizing committee for this event and I’m thrilled that it was a success! The committee members dressed as Waldo from Where’s Waldo during the event!

dave [1:01 PM]
:+1:

cristinalibrarian
[1:01 PM]
Right on, everyone! And well done. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:03]
I'm at San Francisco Public Library and I've been having some awesome outreach meetings with the teacher librarians at our school district to work on the 2nd year of our Scholar Card program. Last year, we received student data from our school district to import into our ILS so students don't have to have their parent/guardian sign a paper library card application to get their students a card. Students can get cards from class visits or a personal visit to the library. I'm working with some schools to test pilot a model for activating the whole elementary or middle school with public library cards. (edited)

ajbaltiero
[1:04 PM]
Awesome!

dave [1:04 PM]
Christina, I'd love to hear more about that sometime

cristinalibrarian
[1:04 PM]
@Dave Definitely! It took us about 3 years to get an agreement with the District...but so far, so good.

lisakimno [1:05 PM]
joined #october2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian
[1:05 PM]
Let's wait a few minutes for others to join us. In the meantime, did folks get in on the Early Bird Registration for Midwinter?

dave [1:06 PM]
Sure did

ajbaltiero
[1:06 PM]
Yes!!

aforrester [1:06 PM]
Yes, indeed! So excited that you'll all be coming to Denver!

lisakimno [1:06 PM]
I'm very much hoping they will let me go this year - I have to pay for it myself probably so it may be a tough sell!

[1:07]
I'm working on it!

cristinalibrarian
[1:07 PM]
Yes! @aforrester and @sisaac3 will be our hosts for our committee. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:07]
Good luck @lisakimno!

ajbaltiero
[1:07 PM]
And other good news, I was approved by my Library for funding for the trip! Only two of us were approved!

sisaac3 [1:07 PM]
joined #october2017meeting.

cristinalibrarian
[1:08 PM]
I'm working on getting funds myself, Anthony!

sisaac3 [1:08 PM]
Sorry I'm a little late - I had some issues with dropping my car off for service.

cristinalibrarian
[1:08 PM]
Welcome Susie and Lisa!

lisakimno [1:08 PM]
Thanks! Sorry I'm late too!

cristinalibrarian
[1:08 PM]
We shared out something new and good at our workplaces as our welcome question.

[1:09]
@sisaac3 and @lisakimno feel free to share now or we will have time for announcements at the end too

lisakimno [1:10 PM]
We're about to launch our school library cards at our high school district! Super excited - it's been in the works for a long time but we are good to go so now I just need to tell the students and teachers.

sisaac3 [1:10 PM]
Something REALLY good from my workplace is that I'm on fall break right now!

cristinalibrarian
[1:10 PM]
OoOH! Both awesome!

[1:10]
Well thanks all for the shareout. I'm really excited to meet as a committee in person in February. I'm so inspired by all the work we do for the kids. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:11]
I want to get us started with the toolkit discussion.

[1:11]
I know it can be a little clunky to have a group discussion on chat, but we'll do our best. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:13]
Hopefully you received the questions on Friday and have had a moment to reflect. My goal with this discussion to for us to identify HOW this toolkit would be relevant for us in our work. and also identify if there are places of disconnect with the way the toolkit has taken shape so far.

[1:14]
Here are the questions:
• What is your connection to Toolkit? In other words, how is the Toolkit relevant to your work in your library setting as it is now?
• Is there anything that would make the Toolkit more relevant to your current role?
o For example, organizing it by public vs. school library; including technology that doesn’t have to be purchased (i.e. existing software found on Macs); emphasizing the time frames needed to conduct a program; shifting the focus to more program plans vs. activities / resources.
• Does the focus on Tween resonate with your current work? Why or why not?

aforrester [1:19 PM]
Yes, I think the toolkit would be helpful and relevant to my work in a public library. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate technology into my programs and the flexibility and modifications we provide would help me a lot. I like the way the toolkit is shaping up, so no improvements there. As far as the tween focus, it's not what I get to work with very often at my library (we tend to skew 0-7, but we do serve up to 12), but I can see how it would be helpful to others.

lisakimno [1:19 PM]
I currently work with tweens, and so the toolkit is useful because it starts at the tween's interests and goes from there, as opposed to my interests. It resonates with my current work because I do programming for tweens. I think making it as participatory/easy to update as possible would help it resonate - that way it stays alive as trends change.

ajbaltiero
[1:19 PM]
I like the idea of separating it by public library in school library. There is a lot of crossover, but there are some areas that it needs to be specifically geared toward public school.

[1:20]
Public or school*

dave [1:20 PM]
The toolkit and the tween focus really works for me, being grades 5-8. I see it as helpful in getting things off the ground with programming especially

lisakimno [1:21 PM]
I also like that I think it brings in basic ideas - like tried and true things that a lot of librarians have been doing already, and then it also brings in some newer ideas.

cristinalibrarian
[1:21 PM]
I develop and manage circulating programming kits that are mainly low-tech and higher-tech STEM programs in a box for school-age and up so this toolkit will help me think about new ways to bring in programming to our Main library and 28 branches

sisaac3 [1:23 PM]
I have been struggling a little with relevancy to my role working primarily with K-5. I don't really get much time to work on projects that aren't specifically linked to standards on classroom teachers' report cards. I think I could go to town on a project that can be adapted for younger students too, and I'd be inclined to include links to the grading rubrics that could be used.

lisakimno [1:24 PM]
Hm, would Common Core standards be useful at all?

cristinalibrarian [1:24 PM]
thanks for sharing that @sisaac3. i am hearing over all that people appreciate the tween focus since it's in the middle, but maybe we need to include ways that some activities can be scaled down for K-5 and scaled up for teen

dave [1:25 PM]
I don't think so. Common core is a political hot potato and being are dialing back from it...at least in the school world

cristinalibrarian [1:25 PM]
Good to hear what you are all saying! This is an inherited project w/ about 50/50 of us coming in from last year's committee membership. I know for myself, I have to have a personal/professional motivation to work on something, especially virtually, or else it'll just feel like something in outer space...

dave [1:25 PM]
People are dialing back, mean

 

ajbaltiero [1:26 PM]
@cristinalibrarian love that idea! Provide add ons to scale up or down

cristinalibrarian
[1:27 PM]
@ajbaltiero Thanks! That's something we're exploring with our circulating kits... We used to reserve them for school-age programs only, but the branches that serve mainly 0-3 or ones that have teens wanted to get in on the fun too...

sisaac3 [1:27 PM]
Common core standards are still what we're using to grade, though, as they're on the report cards (at least in my district). I think it's not necessary to include standards with projects, though, unless it's been used in conjunction with standards by the person who created that project.

ajbaltiero
[1:27 PM]
We create our summer programming in the same way. We write the programs for school-age children, To provide accommodations to scale it up for teen or scale down for early childhood.

cristinalibrarian [1:29 PM]
@sisaac3 and @dave, as our school librarians on the committee (along with Krishna Grady), I definitely am sensitive to wanting to produce a toolkit that is relevant for school librarians. Knowing that what you're working with and the resources you have vary greatly. I wonder if it makes sense to have you two work together in some way to review what's been created and add notes / questions in the toolkit to poke, inquire, and answer ways that the activities make sense (or not) in a school setting

[1:30]
Would that be interesting to you?

[1:30]
And you can let me know offline if you want to think about it, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

dave [1:30 PM]
I could do that

sisaac3 [1:30 PM]
Yes, I could do that also.

cristinalibrarian
[1:30 PM]
Right on!

[1:31]
Well, thanks all, for that check in.

[1:31]
I'd like to propose a few things for us moving forward...

[1:32]
1. A lead from each workgroup

[1:32]
2. A chance for me and each workgroup to meet together, ideally over the phone in November to check in about each section

[1:33]
3. For us to do some benchmarking of other toolkits that we admire and could be applicable to what we're creating

[1:34]
Like @lisakimno said, I think the key to this toolkit is that it's easy to update... I love the Snapchat section of the Video group, but I am concerned that as soon as we publish this, there is another app that is all the craze and all of the sudden, our toolkit seems outdated

[1:34]
I welcome your thoughts about what i've proposed :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [1:36 PM]
I am wondering if it might make sense to switch up our sections. Maybe a little too creative - but I kind of feel i've given what I know to my section, and it could help to get fresh eyes on teh sections? I think checking in soon and also gathering other toolkits make a lot sense.

cristinalibrarian [1:37 PM]
Cool idea @lisakimno! How do others feel about switching up your sections?

aforrester [1:37 PM]
I think your three ideas make sense. I think consistency is a big priority in my mind in order for the toolkit to be easily updated.

sisaac3 [1:37 PM]
Since I've felt a little bit of a disconnect with the toolkit, would it be okay if I just went ahead and wrote in a podcasting project that could be adapted for younger and older kids with some of the elements I would find useful in my role? (i.e. a link to some rubrics, some time frames for completion, etc).

dave [1:37 PM]
I think you make a good point Cristina. I think we might want to think about our audience. I have always envisioned this as a resource for people Starting with makerspace...which includes me.

cristinalibrarian [1:38 PM]
That's SUCH a good thing to bring up Dave.

[1:38]
In my mind, we have no way to create makerspaces at our libraries so I've never thought about it in regards to having a makerspace...

aforrester [1:38 PM]
I think we do need to define whether or not we see this toolkit as for tweens only or with options for younger/older kids.

cristinalibrarian
[1:38 PM]
This is good to flesh out any assumptions we have had with the toolkit

sisaac3 [1:38 PM]
We also don't have a makerspace, just a computer lab.

ajbaltiero
[1:39 PM]
@sisaac3 that’s great!

dave [1:40 PM]
A lot of school librarians are on their own, so they are just getting started and a basic toolkit would be a big help

ajbaltiero
[1:40 PM]
I’m playing a bit of catch up with the toolkit! :weary:

cristinalibrarian [1:41 PM]
I agree with your Dave. In the name of accessibility, I think we shouldn't focus the toolkit on just libraries that can have dedicated physical makerspaces. What do others think?

aforrester [1:41 PM]
The goal I've had in mind for the toolkit is to create a resource for librarians who are planning programs for tweens in a variety of spaces (makerspaces, community rooms, classrooms, etc.) that allows them to explore programming options starting with the interests of tweens in their community.

sisaac3 [1:42 PM]
I agree. The name "maker toolkit" might be a little off-putting to those of us who don't have makerspaces, but maybe we could put some sort of broader terms into the title of the toolkit?

lisakimno [1:42 PM]
I agree @cristinalibrarian

cristinalibrarian [1:43 PM]
This is a great discussion about scope, goals, and focus. Thank you all!

[1:44]
I propose that we keep the Tween focus but define what tween is... We could go as low as 5th Grade so be more relevant to librarians that serve 10-11 year olds?

aforrester [1:44 PM]
i think that works

lisakimno [1:45 PM]
Yes!

cristinalibrarian [1:45 PM]
We're a little off our agenda, but I really value this discussion. We as a committee get to shape the product we're co-creating! (edited)

sisaac3 [1:46 PM]
What is the definition of tween? If it starts at age 10, that's usually how old kids turn in 4th gra.

[1:46]
oops - grade here.

cristinalibrarian
[1:47 PM]
What about a working definition of approximately ages 10-12?

[1:48]
Versus grades since that varies...

sisaac3 [1:48 PM]
Sounds good. Stay away from grades because starting ages vary by state.

dave [1:49 PM]
I like 10 as the start of tween

cristinalibrarian
[1:49 PM]
Awesome. Glad we're on the same page here about Tween!

[1:50]
We won't have time for workgroup shareouts today, but look out for communication from me this week to schedule a call w/ each of the 4 groups. Ideally we can meet before our November meeting, which is TBD based on the Doodle poll, which I will also send out today.

[1:51]
I had a chance to talk on the phone with Susie on Friday and it was awesome. I think we do well by each other on #slack, but I would love to have a phone meeting to check in as our workgroups.

[1:52]
Lisa, I like your idea of swapping, but I think we have a bit more work to do in the section to refine, flesh out, or finalize the content before we swap, but that could be a great editing step for us to take.

[1:52]
In the meantime, think if you would like to be your workgroup lead.

[1:52]
And I'll start a Google Doc for us to start sharing other tookits that we admire so we can start thinking about shape / format we want to take this.

[1:53]
We have previously talked about a PDF. And I wonder if that is the most update-able format.

aforrester [1:53 PM]
I think at one point we talked about a website

lisakimno [1:54 PM]
That sounds good! PDFs are great for printing out but not flexible/updateable. Does ALSC host any other kind of live document site? Ie Google? Otherwise a blog might work - people can comment.

aforrester [1:54 PM]
https://sites.google.com/denverlibrary.org/steminabox

cristinalibrarian
[1:54 PM]
Great ideas! Let's get them into the Google Doc and explore further in November. :slightly_smiling_face: Yay, I can see the gears moving already.... :slightly_smiling_face:

lisakimno [1:54 PM]
it would be nice to have our site as ALSC branded as possible since there are already so many maker sites out there.

cristinalibrarian
[1:55 PM]
Yes, good point Lisa. The question might be: What can make our toolkit stand out? What does it offer that other sites, blogs, publications, etc. dont? (edited)

lisakimno [1:56 PM]
maybe instead of funding printing/designing a brochure ALSC could support building a website? I don't know how committee funding works.

cristinalibrarian
[1:56 PM]
The ALSC Public Awareness Committee is also make a toolkit and my supervisor is actually the chair of that committee so she has shared their benchmarking research as well.

lisakimno [1:56 PM]
I think we stand out because we are ALSC, and we are a group of librarians working in libraries of all different kinds.

cristinalibrarian
[1:56 PM]
We have $100 as a committee, but I'm not sure about ongoing web hosting. I'll look into it.

[1:57]
Before we leave, just a reminder about Blog Schedule:

cristinalibrarian
[1:57 PM]
shared this file
ALSC SAPS Blog schedule_18
Document from Google Drive
Click to open in Google Drive
Add Comment

slackbot [1:57 PM] Only visible to you
OK! I'll check back with you next time.

cristinalibrarian
[1:57 PM]
Next up is Dave and I'll communicate directly with you. :slightly_smiling_face:

[1:58]
Thank you all for a fruitful meeting. If there is anything you ever want to share with me 1:1, please feel free to reach out any time. I'm here to support you as best I can. It's been a tumultuous time for many... hurricanes and other natural disasters. Please take good care!.

dave [1:58 PM]
Sounds great!

aforrester [1:58 PM]
Thanks, Cristina!

cristinalibrarian
[1:58 PM]
As we say goodbye, feel free to share any announcement you'd like to share w/ the group

sisaac3 [1:59 PM]
thanks so much, Cristina!

ajbaltiero
[1:59 PM]
Ciao! Thanks, Christina

dave [1:59 PM]
Thanks Cristina and everyone else!

cristinalibrarian
[1:59 PM]
Happy anniversary Anthony!

ajbaltiero [1:59 PM]
:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

sisaac3 [2:00 PM]
Is it your wedding anniversary? Happy day!

ajbaltiero [2:00 PM]
Thank you! :sunglasses:

cristinalibrarian
[2:00 PM]
Bye all!

ajbaltiero [2:00 PM]
It is!

lisakimno [2:00 PM]
Thanks! I have to go be on desk. Thanks for a good meeting!

More...

Pages

To identify and disseminate information on effective, cooperative or innovative programming for school age children to libraries, schools, and community agencies serving youth. To develop training workshops on school age programs and services and present them at conferences, institutes and for other institutions serving youth. To cooperate as appropriate with other ALSC committees and other associations working with the school age child to initiate activities and projects.

Subscribe to ALSC School Age Programs and Service Committee (Association for Library Service to Children)