LLAMA MAES Data Collection for Library Managers Committee Committee

Closed group
In: Administration & Management, Assessment and Evaluation, LLAMA MAES (Measurement, Assessment, and Evaluation Section)
19 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc Welcome to DCLM!

by Sarah Naper on Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 04:21 pm

Welcome to DCLM!

The Data Collection for Library Managers Committee is an active volunteer group who are encouraged to select or create projects that pique their interests and run with them.

We are currently working on the following projects:

Review of Tools-

       Developing reviews on current and upcoming tools for Library Managers.

"What's Your Story"

       A webinar series for those new to assessment.

Assessment Findings Repository

       Developing and creating a repository for everyone to contribute their assessment findings.

Welcome to DCLM!

The Data Collection for Library Managers Committee is an active volunteer group who are encouraged to select or create projects that pique their interests and run with them.

We are currently working on the following projects:

Review of Tools-

       Developing reviews on current and upcoming tools for Library Managers.

"What's Your Story"

       A webinar series for those new to assessment.

Assessment Findings Repository

       Developing and creating a repository for everyone to contribute their assessment findings.

We encourage LLAMA members to join us for a fulfilling experience.  

Here's what some of our current and past members have said about their DCLM experience:

 

Member Testimonials

LLAMA is a mix of public and academic librarians that are focused on leadership. Specifically, for DCLM, I would say that it a great way to learn more about the various aspects and challenges of data collection. You don't have to be in management to benefit from the committee and the colleagues on the committee.

Nancy Fawley
Head, Library Liaison Program
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

 

DCLM is a very involved, innovative group of individuals who enjoy asking critical questions and developing new means of educating other about data collection and analysis.

Jennifer Fuentes Allred
K-12 Librarian
American International School Kuwait

 

The committee works on projects (develops pre-conferences, webinars, etc.) in the area of collection of measurement data for library planning, assessment, and communication that will benefit LLAMA members.

Kari Lucas
Director, Access Operations Program
UC San Diego Library

 

If you’re looking for an active committee with several subgroups dedicated to developing resources, tools, or training sessions to help librarians successfully manage data collection, DCLM is for you.  We look forward to welcoming you on our committee!

Sarah Naper
Director of Research & Learning Services
Texas State University

 

DCLM is a committee that designs workshops webinars and initiatives to provide librarians with practical tools to meet data collection needs.

The group is collegial, innovative, and active. There are always new projects and initiatives being developed. If you are looking for a committee in which you can get involved and be creative, then this would be an excellent committee to consider joining.

Connie Strittmatter
Head Librarian, Access Services and Collection Maintenance
Boston College

 

DCLM includes librarians of varying levels of experience with data collection and assessment.  It’s a great place to learn more about assessment in general, but also offers lots of opportunity for members to help address questions or needs that many of us may share.  The aspects that I enjoy in particular include the connections we can make with librarians in all parts of the country—and around the world!—and the opportunity to really make a difference for our libraries through our volunteer efforts.

John Wiggins
Director, Library Services & Quality Improvement
Drexel University

 

More...

Online Doc Ongoing: Ideas for Projects/Initiatives

by John Wiggins on Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 04:31 pm

Process for using this page:

Members propose new ideas for committee projects and other initiatives during committee meetings.

Discussions are noted in the minutes, and then transferred here for tracking for future prioritization and potential undertaking.

Folks interested in a topic are encouraged to contact anyone listed as associated with it to join the discussion/development.

Proposals

Process for using this page:

Members propose new ideas for committee projects and other initiatives during committee meetings.

Discussions are noted in the minutes, and then transferred here for tracking for future prioritization and potential undertaking.

Folks interested in a topic are encouraged to contact anyone listed as associated with it to join the discussion/development.

Proposals

2014 Dec: tabled (John Wiggins). Potential role for DCLM to identify, index, forward out to MAES current literature being published about data collection.  Work with the literature has potential to lead to a number of possibilities, perhaps similar to an established RUSA precursor (research and statistics section group which has annually built a bibliography of the best articles in the field on ref, published and distributed at ALA (20 years now)--also sponsored a presentation at ALA, selecting one from three invited short panel presentations/auditions of the best of the best (often folks who were fleshing out an idea, bouncing it off the audience).  Basic work is to scan certain publications and write annotations.):

  • DCLM role could review recent promoted literature to recruit authors or a group of similar authors to participate in a webinar or a workshop we develop to address a perceived need
  • DCLM could ask an ALCTS group to help develop a list of index terms to manage the project
  • Perhaps a great opportunity for a subset of DCLM folks who are already reading things and eager for a defined opportunity on how to contribute
  • DCLM could move (a la RUSA) to the bibliography "stage" if the article alerting service is sustainable and works, then nurture/promote research in it.  

--

2014 Nov: under eventual development (Sarah Naper, John Wiggins, Rob Withers). How might libraries put all user feedback gathered (including letter, surveys, and etc.) in one place.  This type of system would be helpful to enable identification of user feedback trends. Those currently involved might be particularly interested in academic space, but open to other ideas.

--

2014 Oct: tabled, for future consideration to submit a pre-conference training or conference program (Kari Lucas).  MAES Exec Comm recommendation is to try this as a one-hour program topic to gauge interest from those who attend, to assess potential draw for a longer, pay-to-attend pre-conference: 

"How do you know if you're fully staffed"

  • Kari Lucas-ALA program will be tabled to give more time to develop.
  • Kari will keep in touch with committee for assistance during development
  • program summary:  using data to support losing or adding positions using a modified productivity model to access workload and labor available
  • focus for next year
More...

Online Doc Meeting Agenda: June 27, 2015

by John Wiggins on Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 04:18 pm

Meeting Agenda

June 27, 2015

8:30-9:45am, Hotel Nikko: Nikko Ballroom

 

Note: we plan to gather jointly with colleagues in LLAMA LOMS PELS who are co-sponsoring our LLAMA Innovations grant at 8:45am--see item 5c below.

 

1. Recorder:  (needs volunteer) 

2. Member and Guest Introductions/Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

Meeting Agenda

June 27, 2015

8:30-9:45am, Hotel Nikko: Nikko Ballroom

 

Note: we plan to gather jointly with colleagues in LLAMA LOMS PELS who are co-sponsoring our LLAMA Innovations grant at 8:45am--see item 5c below.

 

1. Recorder:  (needs volunteer) 

2. Member and Guest Introductions/Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

  5a. Reviews of Tools (John Wiggins on behalf of Donna Smith)

  5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

  5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins--shooting for 8:45am joint discussion with LLAMA LOMS PELS members)

6. Other Old Business

  6a. Welcome to DCLM (Sarah Naper)

  6b. Debrief & qualitative assessment of how DCLM functioned this past year, document for next year (all members)

  6b. Transition to new membership year (Sarah Naper, Sarah Schmidt, all members)

7. Call for additional Ideas and Future Projects (all members)

8. Additional New Business

More...

Online Doc Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-June (conf call 6/8/2015) pending approval

by John Wiggins on Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:22 am

DCLM monthly conference call (meeting)

June 8, 2015 9amPT/11amCT/12nET/7pm Kuwait

 

1. Recorder: Kari Lucas

 

2. Attending: Connie Strittmatter, Elizabeth Berman, Jennifer Fuentes, Jessame Ferguson, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Sarah Schmidt, Rob Withers, John Wiggins

 

DCLM monthly conference call (meeting)

June 8, 2015 9amPT/11amCT/12nET/7pm Kuwait

 

1. Recorder: Kari Lucas

 

2. Attending: Connie Strittmatter, Elizabeth Berman, Jennifer Fuentes, Jessame Ferguson, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Sarah Schmidt, Rob Withers, John Wiggins

 

3. There were no additional agenda items suggested.

 

4. Minutes for May 12 meeting were approved.

 

5. Working Group Reports

 5a. Reviews of Tools (John Wiggins)

Doing a few drafts of reviews to pass around. MAES listserv volunteers for review. And will share electronically. Options: Share on Connect, or another idea from Kerry Ward’s continuing research.  Those ideas for all reviews, and/or publish select reviews in the LLAMA journal.

 5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

The subgroup met on Friday, June 5. The group completed work on drafting a description of webinar series. They will meet on June 17 to finish the three-part webinar series proposal.  The next steps are to share the proposal and then find speakers.

Action: Sarah, will distribute to the group a summary of the webinar series proposal at Annual.

 5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins)     

John forwarded the proposal for the DCLM Assessment Findings Repository to the MAES Executive Committee. Generally the Executive Committee thought it was a good idea. There were questions about and contrast to the MAES Assessment Toolbox.  How will it be maintained? Who hosts?  Sustainability? Remanded the questions to DCLM. These questions seemed at a higher level than a single committee. DCLM needs guidance and support from larger organization to learn how to support measures like this. The working group did not have much time to respond to the requests of the Executive Committee.

Currently the MAES Assessment Toolbox falls under the purview of the Education Committee. Goals and a timeline have not been determined.

Action:  Jessame will draft a more succinct summary to recommend forming a group to answer questions how we would bring a like-minded people to help figure it out.  A work group with members across sections will ensure ongoing viability.

Action:  John will discuss further at the MAES Exec Comm Meeting(s) at annual.

Action:  Examples of successful cross division projects (Spectrum Scholars)--share others with John

 

6.  Other Old Business

 6a. Welcome to DCLM (Sarah Naper)

A few last tweaks and the post is ready to share. The message is based on feedback from the survey. There are testimonials in the message about what DCLM does. The message will be posted on the ALA Connect site where visitors would see it and new members could look at it in advance of their appointments beginning.

Action: Sarah will send a final document shortly.

 6b. Succession Planning for DCLM (John Wiggins) see #7 below.

 6c. DCLM and recommendations for MAES committee structure (John Wiggins)

It will be a discussion at ALA. The boundaries between committees seems awkward. Assessment part of good leadership and management. Should assessment be its own committee or should an assessment component be integrated with other committees.

Action:  John will share a version of the DCLM May 12 minutes DCLM Recommendation for MAES structure with MAES Executive Committee.

 6d. DCLM in-person meeting at ALA Annual (John Wiggins) See #8 below.

 

7.  Succession 2015-2016: Request for acclamation to endorse committee leadership role nominations to Karen Neurohr, incoming leader of MAES for 2015-2016:

    Chair: Sarah Naper

    Vice Chair/Chair-Elect: Sarah Schmidt

Action: Approved by acclamation

Action: Karen subsequently accepted nominations--congratulations to our new Chair and Vice Chair/Chair-Elect!

 

8.  Agenda for meeting at ALA Conference (introductions, on-boarding if new DCLM members appear early, plan for transition to new membership; other ideas?) (John Wiggins)

1.  Debrief of how the committee worked this year.

2.  Onboarding; Sarah and Sara get list of new members to know who they are to recognize them if they attend the meeting at Annual.

3.  Have the Welcome to DCLM message available at the committee table.

Action: Sarah will distribute to group. Let her know if there are modification. She will bring copies.

Action: John will bring a sign-in sheet for roll call.

4. Interest in using Google Hangout or Skype to attend the meeting virtually?--Those present did not express interest in these options. If you become interested, please let John know before ALA.

 

DCLM and MAES events at ALA--

  • DCLM committee meeting (part of "LLAMA All Sections/All Committees): Sat 6/27 8:30-10am PT NIKKO--Nikko Ballroom--look for our labeled table

  • MAES "Hot Topics in Assessment" discussion group: Sun 6/28 4:30-5:30pm PT MCC--232/234 (S)

 

9. Call for additional Ideas and Future Projects(all members)

No suggestions were put forth at this time.

 

10. Additional New Business

No suggestions were put forth at this time.

Meeting adjourned at 12:45pm

More...

Discussion Meeting Agenda: June 8, 2015

by Jennifer Fuentes Allred on Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Meeting Agenda

June 8, 2015

9AM PT/ 10AM MT/ 11AM CT/ 12PM ET/ 7PM Kuwait

1. Recorder:  (needs volunteer) 

2. Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

  5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

  5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

  5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins)

6.  Other Old Business

Meeting Agenda

June 8, 2015

9AM PT/ 10AM MT/ 11AM CT/ 12PM ET/ 7PM Kuwait

1. Recorder:  (needs volunteer) 

2. Roll Call for Minutes

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items (all members)

4. Approve Minutes

5. Working Group Reports

  5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

  5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

  5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins)

6.  Other Old Business

  6a. Welcome to DCLM (Sarah Naper)

  6b. Succession Planning for DCLM (John Wiggins)

        Succession 2015-2016: Request for acclamation to endorse committee leadership role nominations to Karen Neurohr, incoming leader of MAES for 2015-2016:

     Chair: Sarah Naper

     Vice Chair/Chair-Elect: Sarah Schmidt

  6c. DCLM and recommendations for MAES committee structure (John Wiggins)

  6d. DCLM in-person meeting at ALA Annual (John Wiggins)

        Agenda ideas: introductions, on-boarding if new DCLM members appear early, plan for transition to new membership; other ideas? (John Wiggins)

        Note: DCLM and MAES events at ALA--

        DCLM committee meeting (part of "LLAMA All Sections/All Committees): Sat 6/27 8:30-10am PT NIKKO--Nikko Ballroom

        MAES "Hot Topics in Assessment" discussion group: Sun 6/28 4:30-5:30pm PT MCC--232/234 (S)

7. Call for additional Ideas and Future Projects (all members)

8. Additional New Business

More...

Online Doc Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-May

by John Wiggins on Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 07:59 am

Minutes from May 12, 2015 meeting

1. Recorders:  Sarah Schmidt, John Wiggins

2. Roll Call for Minutes: Connie Strittmatter, Donna Smith, Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins, Kari Lucas, Kate Harger, Nancy Fawley, Sarah Naper, Sarah Schmidt.

3. There were no additional agenda items contributed.

4. Minutes for April 2015 were approved.

5. Working Group Reports

 5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

Minutes from May 12, 2015 meeting

1. Recorders:  Sarah Schmidt, John Wiggins

2. Roll Call for Minutes: Connie Strittmatter, Donna Smith, Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins, Kari Lucas, Kate Harger, Nancy Fawley, Sarah Naper, Sarah Schmidt.

3. There were no additional agenda items contributed.

4. Minutes for April 2015 were approved.

5. Working Group Reports

 5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

The subgroup developed basic elements for reviews (title, publisher, link, etc) and the next step will be to complete sample reviews and present to committee for feedback. The reviews might go into a column, database, website… There are many possibilities.

 5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

The subgroup received feedback from other members about its current document. Sarah Naper said the group will soon move on to begin work on the next part of the project 

 5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Jessame Ferguson)

The subgroup shared the form with the group and so far, feedback has been very positive. The group will forward a final version to John Wiggins to pass to MAES for review/support on the way to LLAMA consideration 

6.  Other Old Business

 6a. Welcome to DCLM (Sarah Naper, Jennifer Fuentes)

Sarah Naper said the subgroup is drafting a post for Connect called “Introduction to DCLM.” Intended to encourage membership, the post provides member testimonials and explores the projects of the subcommittee. The draft might also be contributed to the MAES listserv and/or others. If anyone wants to provide a testimonial (could be anonymous if preferred), please email her.

 6b. Succession Planning for DCLM (John Wiggins)

The group discussed how group management should be handed over from one service year to the next. The members voted to ask the MAES vice chair to appoint a vice chair/chair elect. We also will need a chair for next year to bridge the change to the new vice chair/chair elect system. John will send out nominations for positions soon (due by 12pm PT Wed 5/20) and we will vote/endorse at the June meeting.

For the next meeting, there may be interest in expressing the commitment expectations required/expected by different committee roles (perhaps more formal for VC/C roles and less formal for working group leaders).

 6c. DCLM recommendations for MAES committee structure (Jessame Ferguson, Kari Lucas, John Wiggins)

Lisa Horowitz and Karen Neurohr (Chair and Chair-Elect, respectively) sent out an email on May 8 noting similarities between some MAES committees and wondered if there were a better way to organize ourselves. They offered ideas in the email, but also welcome more ideas. John mentioned that the year after July, the committees may reorganized; some members noted that it can be hard to plan that transition.

The group echoed Lisa’s and Karen’s observation about the overlaps between committees (Kari and Jessame had noted this in emails before the May meeting) and a few members expressed confusion about what our “ground” is and the idea that we might need to “stop” at a boundary somewhere. Ideas for improvement included organizing committees in terms of fociof assessment (such as, have a committee that focuses on users, another for resources, etc.—though these may reflect overlap with the foci of other sections of LLAMA like BES, HRS, LOMS, etc.) or in terms of complexityof assessment (such as, have committees that work on single assessments and other committees that work on meta-assessments). It was thought that MAES executive committee members may have the best perspective.  Perhaps a card sort (typical approach for organizing a web site based on user needs) using MAES concepts might lead to some suggestions for re-organizing.

 6d. DCLM in-person meeting at ALA Annual (John Wiggins)

Of the nine members present, seven indicated they intend to attend ALA Annual; at least two other members (Jennifer Fuentes, Elizabeth Berman) not in attendance are assumed likely to attend as well.

The meeting continued past the planned 1pm ET deadline with lively discussion regarding MAES committee structure (6c above); Donna Smith, Jessame Ferguson, John Wiggins, Kari Lucas, Nancy Fawley, Sarah Naper, and Sarah Schmidt were able to stay on until just short of 1:30pm ET.

 

More...

Online Doc Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-Apr

by John Wiggins on Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 08:18 pm

LLAMA/MAES DCLM minutes

Date: Monday, April 13 12-1PM (ET)

1. Recorder:  John Wiggins

2. Roll Call: Nancy Fawley, Jennifer Fuentes, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Donna Smith, Connie Strittmatter, John Wiggins

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items: none contributed

4. Approve Minutes: no changes; minutes approved as appear at http://connect.ala.org/node/237879

5. Working Group Reports

5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

LLAMA/MAES DCLM minutes

Date: Monday, April 13 12-1PM (ET)

1. Recorder:  John Wiggins

2. Roll Call: Nancy Fawley, Jennifer Fuentes, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Donna Smith, Connie Strittmatter, John Wiggins

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items: none contributed

4. Approve Minutes: no changes; minutes approved as appear at http://connect.ala.org/node/237879

5. Working Group Reports

5a. Reviews of Tools (Donna Smith)

Working group is creating a list of basic elements to include in reviews, and plans to do a few reviews as an example, then share with DCLM for feedback, next steps.

To start, our reviews are likely to appear on ALA Connect.  Based on a great suggestion by Connie, we’ll explore contributing them to LLAMA journal as a column (John will find appropriate contact to pursue)

5b. What's Your Story? (Sarah Naper)

Three webinars have been proposed, the first one, introduction to research design has been drafted as an outline available at: http://connect.ala.org/node/237923. Working group is proposing a one or one-and-a-half hour webinar with four components: what is research design?, why we care about research design, identifying a problem to research and phrasing the research question, choosing appropriate methodology for the problem.

Working group would like feedback on this proposal—see link to Google Document with discussion (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oVUUDS2zyx00tFslmsrialzyu3WKHWgYrtsdquCOklc/edit).  The WG is also seeking nominations/connections to speakers on this topic.

Work will continue soon on the subsequent pieces; we’ll reach out to the Using Data committee to coordinate plans.

5c. Assessment Findings Repository (Connie Strittmatter)

Following up on Jessame’s presentation from last meeting, fleshing out ideas for repository to develop proposal to LLAMA Innovation Fund.  Ideas include (among others) workshops to promote repository, and ALA groups that we can collaborate with to help set up the repository.  There’s no deadline for submission to LLAMA Innovation Fund; looking for DCLM feedback to fine-tune submission (see our Google Doc at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TAzT67D5KPzADz7LVMIyWJuj_gVW6cVJth70ZkcZojA/edit ).

Use case—Nancy noted that following up on an Assessment in Action report (abstracts), it can be challenging to discover more details or to access data. Nancy, Connie and John will follow up with contacts already in the AIA effort (offered by ACRL) to see what the experiences of folks in the program are and what materials they might have for our proposed repository.

6.  Other Old Business

  6a. LLAMA's strategic directions, 2015+ (Sarah Naper)

Document is intentionally/deliberately short; LLAMA is looking for comments.  Nancy suggested we link our proposal for Innovation Funding to an appropriate theme.  There’s a PDF posted in our committee space for ease of reference.  Nancy proposed that we consider/pursue connections among committees as part of “Create a Welcoming and Inclusive Community for Members and Potential Members”—foster connections between members [on committees].  John will share with MAES/LLAMA.  International/online participation is good and also in the strategic directions; and we’ve seen positive success with Jennifer Fuentes’ participation from abroad.

  6b. Looking ahead: DCLM next year (Sarah Naper)

DCLM co-chairs will send out the link to the survey again (http://bit.ly/1KukBGu) and ask DCLM members to respond by Fri April 24 with input.

7. Additional Ideas and Future Projects

  7a. Call for additional ideas

John proposed an idea to recruit “intern-like” members to serve in specific, limited roles, such as a task identified via a working group, to help the committee meet its priorities/goals beyond the capacity that the current group could provide.  This could provide opportunities to paraprofessionals or students in ALA, or new professionals or these seeking to explore new areas.  They differ from full commitment to membership on DCLM.

How would we advertise these opportunities?  Are there email lists—students in ALA or via ALISE (library educators)?  Email lists (Drexel, Texas Women’s University) also can reach internationally.  The co-chair group will explore further and may propose something to the committee.

8. Additional New Business: none contributed

 

Next meeting Monday, May 11.

Rob Withers will record next month, John Wiggins will convene.

 

More...

Online Doc Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-Mar

by John Wiggins on Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 02:09 pm

DCLM Meeting Minutes

March 9, 2015

I. Note-take – Connie Strittmatter

II. Attendees:  Jessame Ferguson, Jennifer Fuentes, Kate Harger, Jay Jurek, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Donna Smith, Connie Strittmatter, Rob Withers, John Wiggins,

III. Additional agenda items – none

IV. Call for approval of minutes – no modifications to meeting minutes,  minutes approved

V. Working Group Reports

DCLM Meeting Minutes

March 9, 2015

I. Note-take – Connie Strittmatter

II. Attendees:  Jessame Ferguson, Jennifer Fuentes, Kate Harger, Jay Jurek, Kari Lucas, Sarah Naper, Donna Smith, Connie Strittmatter, Rob Withers, John Wiggins,

III. Additional agenda items – none

IV. Call for approval of minutes – no modifications to meeting minutes,  minutes approved

V. Working Group Reports

  1. Review of tools (Donna Smith) - Group has reviewed guidelines and literature for writing reviews.  Later this month the group plans to start identifying tools to review. 
  2. What’s your story? (Sarah Naper) – The group has a meeting later this week and expect to have an update for next month’s meeting
  3. Assessment Finding Repository (Jessame Ferguson) -  Drafted proposal and sent to working group.  Key elements of the proposal include
    1. Ask LLAMA to spearhead creation of system to organize and access assessment findings.
    2. The database created would have clearly defined forms which would allow for self-submission.  It would not be peer-reviewed. 
    3. Goal is to capture all assessment data – doesn’t matter if results are inconclusive, minor or insignificant.  The database would provide access to assessment efforts that can create a common dialog. 
    4. A taxonomy would be created to assist in locating findings. The taxonomy would be reviewed periodically by a group to ensure that it is still current and relevant.
    5. Overall the proposal was favorably received by the committee.  Suggestions for areas to explore or develop include determining files types accepted and to develop data curation and management plans.  

VI. Old Business

  1. Liaison proposal –John brought the proposal to MAES executive council meeting . Given that it was the last agenda item, John was able to explain why the proposal was relevant but meeting ended before discussions could begin.  It is currently tabled and will be discussed at the next executive council meeting. 
  2. Midwinter/Annual All sections/All committees joint check-in – MAES has accepted a recommendation to have an all committee joint check-in which would allow for members of committees to meet for MAES updates and discussion.  At the next ALA Conference, the last 10 minutes of the LLAMA committee meetings will be reserved for this. 
  3. LLAMAs strategic directions 2015.   LLAMA strategic directions document is a one page document and is much shorter than previous strategic directions. The group will discuss and provide feedback to LLAMA at the April meeting.
  4. Looking Ahead: DCLM next year  - Committee members will be asked to complete a survey seeking input on how to handle leadership of committee and how they would  describe the committee to others (i.e. this can be used to publicize committee and seek volunteers.
  5. Suggestions:  Should survey be anonymous? Do we lose value by not being able to follow-up?  It was decided to add a line to self-identify and  post link (http://bit.ly/1KukBGu) and description for those not at the meeting. 

 VII. Meeting adjourned

 

 

More...

Discussion Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-Feb

by John Wiggins on Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 03:09 pm

LLAMA-MAES/DCLM

Meeting Minutes

Date: February 9, 2015, 12-1pm (ET)

 

1. Recorder:  Kate Harger served as recorder.

 ACTION:  Rob Withers to act as recorder for the March 2015 meeting.

2. Roll Call for Minutes

Elizabeth Berman (2014-2016)

Nancy Fawley (2014-2016, 2nd term)

Jessame Ferguson (2013-2015)

Jennifer Fuentes Allred (2014-2016)

Kate Harger (2014-2016)

Sarah Naper (2014-2016)

Sarah Schmidt  (2014-2016)

LLAMA-MAES/DCLM

Meeting Minutes

Date: February 9, 2015, 12-1pm (ET)

 

1. Recorder:  Kate Harger served as recorder.

 ACTION:  Rob Withers to act as recorder for the March 2015 meeting.

2. Roll Call for Minutes

Elizabeth Berman (2014-2016)

Nancy Fawley (2014-2016, 2nd term)

Jessame Ferguson (2013-2015)

Jennifer Fuentes Allred (2014-2016)

Kate Harger (2014-2016)

Sarah Naper (2014-2016)

Sarah Schmidt  (2014-2016)

Donna B. Smith (2014-2016)

John Wiggins (Chair) (2014-2016, 2nd term)

Robert Withers (2014-2016, 2nd term)

3. Call for Additional Agenda Items:  No additional items were added.

4. Approve Minutes:  The Meeting Minutes from January were approved without amendment.

5. Working Group Reports

5a. Reviews of Tools

Donna Smith provided an update for this group.  The group initially distributed an email to the MAES list that linked to a three-question survey instrument to measure interest in developing a data collection reference tool and to identify tools recommended by the MAES community.  The initial contact resulted in only 8 responses, so the group decided to resend the survey at the end of January.  The group now has 16 responses, all of which have been positive.  The group will continue on with the project and work out a timeline, with hopes of rolling out a web site an ALA annual.

ACTION:  The group will put together a tentative project timeline for this initiative.

5b. Data Collection Checklist (Jennifer Fuentes Allred)

As noted at January’s meeting, there is considerable overlap with this group’s work and that of the Statistics group.  Jennifer Fuentes Allred reported that this group will be tabled and members will focus on work with the Statistics group. 

ACTION:  Update ongoing list on the projects page to reflect the tabling of this group.

5c. Statistics (Sarah Naper)

Sarah Naper reported that the group is working toward providing training opportunities via a series of webinars.  “What’s Your Story?,” the proposed title, was put forth to reinforce the concept that people can use assessment to tell their stories.  The group is looking at 3 ideas: 1) Intro to Research Design; 2) How to Use Data to Create Support or Identify Outcomes; and 3) Displaying Data.  This information was shared with MAES Executive Committee members at ALA Midwinter and the response was that there will likely be a high level of interest/participation in these 3 topics.  Fred Reuland of LLAMA will be the contact for setting up the webinars.  Feedback from last July’s webinars may prove useful in helping the group plan its webinars.  The group may be coming to this committee to ask for speaker ideas. 

ACTION:  The group will work to finalize the webinar topics, identify potential speakers, and come up with a timeline.

6. Additional Ideas and Future Projects

John Wiggins said that when we post working group information on ALAConnect, we should put “working group” in the title so people know the context of our projects.

There was some discussion about where we draw the line between our committee’s mission and that of the Using Data committee.  Consensus is that we should continue on with our work, but we mindful of the potential overlap and coordinate with Using Data on overlap areas.

6a. Liaison proposal

The group discussed what might be special/important as part of a formal liaison role vs. being involved in multiple committees.  Kari Lucas’ experience with LIRT was mentioned.  John Wiggins asked how many people we would need on our committee for a formal liaison effort.  Nancy Fawley suggested that, in order for that type of effort to be sustainable, it should be formal and that maybe it’s just one person’s role during their tenure on the committee.  There was further discussion that such efforts should be LLAMA-wide.  Potential benefits would be improved communication, understanding of areas where there is overlap of group charges, and increased efficiency.  All of this in relation to LLAMA work could possibly be achieved through section-wide sharing at the end of all committee meetings.

ACTION:  John Wiggins will write to Lisa Horowitz and make the suggestion that MAES adopt the procedure of section-wide sharing at the end of all committee meetings and he will see if this idea can also be pushed up to LLAMA.  We will also propose the liaison concept to MAES for further discussion, potentially for proposal to LLAMA.

6b. Future projects

Jessame Ferguson is interested in working on an assessment findings repository as previously proposed.  Kate Harger, Nancy Fawley, and Connie Strittmatter would like to help with this initiative.  The group agreed to wait until March to move forward on the project.  John Wiggins would also like to join as a regular member. 

7. Update from Mid-Winter Meeting

Sarah Naper reported on the draft 2015 LLAMA strategies document.  The one-page document identifies 3 main strategies, including increasing professional leadership opportunities, creating a welcoming environment for members, and being a model for innovation.  Nancy Fawley reported on the adoption of the new ACRL Information Literacy Framework and noted that there is still talk about sunsetting the Information Literacy Standards.  John Wiggins reported that the MAES hot topic was ethnographic research.

ACTION:  John Wiggins will contact Lisa Horowitz to see how we might funnel input on the draft LLAMA strategies.

8. ALAConnect Access Changes

DCLM web pages on ALAConnect can now be set to public so that anyone with a login can comment or follow pages, but only DCLM members may initiate pages in our space.  Note that pages default to a setting that allows only DCLM members to view them, and we must check the box for "Public" under the Audience option when creating or editing pages.  Our minutes, reports, and the agenda published for the next meeting should all remain public; working group notes, committee notes and discussions, and other works in progress should be set as appropriate with preference toward public sharing.

9. Additional New Business: Succession planning

The group discussed the possibility of addressing the issue of succession within committee leadership in March or April.  John Wiggins suggests that we need to market ourselves and he asked that everyone think about the appeal/benefits of committee membership so that we can help Karen Neurohr bring new members to our group.

ACTION:  John Wiggins will research the process of how current members request to continue their membership.

More...

Online Doc LLAMA MAES DCLM Committee Report 2015 Midwinter

by John Wiggins on Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 02:10 pm

Respectfully submitted to MAES on 2/9/2015

Jennifer Fuentes Allred
Sarah Naper
John Wiggins
Co-Chairs

Pages

To identify and disseminate information about the effective collection of measurement data for library planning, assessment, and communication; to provide programs, preconferences, webinars, and resources to develop skills in the collection of measurement data for library planning, assessment and communication; to identify needs for research, methodologies, standards, and tools related to the collection of measurement data for library planning, assessment, and communication; and to promote proven methodologies and best practices related to the collection of measurement data for library planning, assessment, and communication.

Subscribe to LLAMA MAES Data Collection for Library Managers Committee