ALA Chapter Councilors Committee
ALA Chapter Relations Committee Meetings at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference
Chapter Relations Committee I, Saturday, June 28, 2014, 1:00–2:30 p.m., LVCC N220
Chapter Relations Committee II, Monday, June 30, 2014, 1:00–2:30 p.m., LVCC N201
ALA Chapter Councilors Forum
Chapter Councilors Forum, 4:00–5:30 p.m. (or 6:00 p.m.), LVH Pavilion 04
Pamela J. Hickson-Stevenson, Ohio Chapter Councilor to ALA and Deputy Director, Akron-Summit County Public Library, has volunteered to facilitate the Chapter Councilors Forum. Elena Rosenfeld, Colorado Chapter Councilor, has volunteered to assist Pamela.
Other Select Meetings Plus Other Conference Information
Here are three lists of meetings in chronological order: ALA Chapter Relations Committee Meetings, Chapters-Related Meetings and Events at the Annual Conference (including the CRC meetings), and Other Meetings of Interest to Chapters at the Annual Conference. To place these in your own calendar and to see all the events at conference, visit the ALA Conference Scheduler.
Please visit Strategic Framework and Enabling Strategies: A Message from ALA President Barbara Stripling (document attached on this discussion).
MentorConnect is an informal mentoring network implemented within ALA Connect that allows all ALA members to participate and only requires that you actively choose to join the network in order to begin serving as a mentor or seeking a mentor.
Mentoring others is one of the most powerful ways you can give back to the profession, but it’s not a relationship to be entered into lightly. If you join MC, you’re making a commitment to help someone else. A strong mentoring relationship requires consistent contact between the mentor and mentee so think carefully about making this commitment before offering your services as a mentor.
Having effective mentors is important for your professional and personal growth. Asking someone to take the time to mentor you is a serious commitment . When someone agrees to mentor you, they’re making an investment in your future. Plan on spending time with your mentor via MentorConnect in order to get the most from this important relationship.
If you choose to join MentorConnect, you can:
- Create a mentor and/or a mentee profile
- Search for a mentor in a variety of subjects
- Offer your services as a mentor
- Track feedback from your mentors/mentees
- Create your own private community in ALA Connect for you and your mentee(s) if you want to take advantage of the online documents, calendar, discussion forum, and chat features available to all members.
It was great to see so many of you in Dallas and I hope that you heard a lot of buzz about Carl Harvey’s White House Petition while there. As a member of the Presidential Task Force on School Libraries representing Chapters, I am particularly eager to make this endeavor a success. At latest count, we are 11,419 signatures away from our mark. This amounts to a mere 233 signatures per state. I am writing to challenge each of you to find those 233 signatures in your respective state before February 4, 2012!
There are many ways to make this happen. For instance, you could ask each member of your state chapter to see that five people of their non-librarian friends sign up; or you could ask Friends groups in your area to take this effort on. Anyone over the age of 13 can sign this petition, which means that just one high school per state could make this happen. In my own state of New Jersey, I plan to work with the local PTO’s and the Paterson Education Association.
The url is: http://wh.gov/Wgd .
Instant Tweets (just copy and paste):
- We love libraries, so we can get 11,419 signatures for school libraries by Feb. 4! http://wh.gov/Wgd #savelibraries #ilovelibraries
- Ensure children in America access effective school library programs! http://wh.gov/Wgd #savelibraries #ilovelibraries
A few things of note:
- We’ve heard that the petition software is temperamental. If you cannot sign in on your first attempt, please log out and log back in. Or, try a different web browser, or as a last resort, try a different computer.
- This petition should not be confused with a petition begun in 2011.
- White House petitions must be authored by individuals, not any association. Therefore, Carl has introduced this petition as an individual, not as a representative of AASL or ALA.
Thank you for your assistance! Let’s get those signatures!
New Jersey Chapter Councilor
Paterson Public Library
Paterson, NJ 07501