To manage the NMRT Archives, which includes the gathering, preservation, and provision of access to NMRT documentation in paper and electronic formats. To establish a comprehensive records management plan, facilitated by policies and guidelines, which can be implemented and modified as needed.
History of the Committee
- 1972-1976: The first archivist is concerned with NMRT activities.
- 1977: Archives Committee is established.
- 1981: Archives Committee is disbanded.
- 1985: Archives Committee is reinstated with one archivist appointed.
- 2000: NMRT Executive Board votes to make Archives Committee a "standing" committee, i.e., one having a continuing life.
- 2001: (June) Two official documents, NMRT Archives Policy and NMRT Archives Policy for Electronic Documents, are drawn up and approved by NMRT Executive Board.
- 2001: (October) Document Digitization Task Force develops the NMRT Archives Database. The digital repository was housed at Louisiana State University Libraries.
- 2002: (January) Archives Committee term is changed to a Midwinter-to-Midwinter schedule.
- 2002: (June) Document Digitization Task Force officially absorbed by Archives Committee after ALA Annual.
- 2002: First reporting cycle (planning/progress/final reports) electronically submitted and made accessible via Archives Database.
- 2011: First reporting (progress/final reports) electronically submitted to ALA Connect and accessible through ALA Connect. Reports remain accessible via the Archives Database.
- 2016: (June) Completion of archives database migration to American Library Association Institutional Repository (https://alair.ala.org/).
- Provide a centralized access point for committee information, policies, and procedures, which primarily involves maintaining the NMRT Archives Database.
- Determine and implement procedures and guidelines for archiving selected print and electronic documents.
- Provide access to various forms, report templates and other miscellanous documents via the NMRT Archives Database that have not already been provided in the NMRT Handbook.
- Respond to inquiries regarding archival issues related to official NMRT records.
- Maintain open communication about archival matters with NMRT Secretary and serve as the liaison to the ALA Archives at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
Procedures Used to Accomplish Major Responsibilities
- Reports are submitted through ALA Connect; these reports are in turn harvested by the Archives chair and distributed to Archives committee members who then enter them into the Archives Database.
- Procedural guidelines have been developed and are available in the Archives Database to assist Archives committee members in the creation of records for selected documents being entered into said database. (ONLY ARCHIVES MEMBERS ARE AUTHORIZED TO INPUT RECORDS INTO THE ARCHIVES DATABASE.)
- Input from Archives committee members is frequently solicited on issues regarding these retention, harvesting and access provision procedures.
- Publicity is necessary to keep NMRT members informed about the benefits of using the Archives Database. This is accomplished by reporting on Archives activities whenever possible via newsletters, listservs, at meetings, etc.
Committee Composition and Term(s) of Office
The Committee can consist of up to 10 members with either 1 chair or 2 co-chairs appointed, as necessary, to one-year terms; reappointment is subject to Executive Board approval. The Committee term is from Annual to Annual conferences of ALA.
NMRT Secretary (Supervising Board Member)
Contact People for Accomplishing Committee Objectives
- NMRT President
- NMRT Vice-President/President-Elect
- NMRT Secretary
- Committee chair(s)
- ALA Archives, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 19 Library, 1408 W. Gregory Dr., Urbana, IL 61821.
Records Generation and Archiving Schedule
A comprehensive schedule (subject to change) has been developed whereby committee chairs & officers submit reports to the NMRT-BD list as follows:
- Planning Reports (by mid-September)
- Progress Reports (by mid-February)
- Final Reports (by mid-June)
Documents to Create/Update
The Archives Committee maintains the following documents:
- NMRT Archives Policy
- NMRT Archives Policy for Electronic Documents
- Procedures for Inputting (Electronic) Reports into (Archives) Database
- Procedures for Inputting (Scanned) Records into (Archives) Database
- Miscellaneous report templates
Reminders and Helpful Hints
- The NMRT Secretary is responsible for reminding chairs & officers when it is time to submit reports according to the recommended schedule.
- Committee chairs and officers are urged to consult archival policies in NMRT Archives Policy and NMRT Archives Policy for Electronic Documents when weeding their files of official documents and/or miscellaneous paperwork.
- Please consult with the Archives Committee when questions arise related to the forwarding of documents to the ALA Archives at the University of Illinois.
- The Archives Committee requests that chairs & officers be sure to use the appropriate report form at the appropriate reporting period. For example, use only the "Planning Report" template when submitting a planning report—this is important because each report form contains questions that pertain to that particular reporting period.
- Review Archives Committee Chair documentation and review with the past chair.
- Welcome new committee members via ALA Connect/email.
- Provide links to report entry guidelines and Cute PDF instructions to the new & returning members.
- Capture the previous year's final reports from ALA Connect.
- Add the previous year's final reports to the tracking spreadsheet, review for format errors and rename to have the correct file name syntax.
- Assign committee members final reports from previous year.
- Prepare Archives Committee planning report for the NMRT Executive Board.
- Capture the incoming planning reports from ALA Connect. (NMRT Secretary does not call for reports on ALA Connect until October 1.)
- Review the data entry of the committee members for the previous year's final reports and follow-up if necessary.
- Add the new incoming planning reports to the tracking spreadsheet, review for format errors and rename to have the correct file syntax.
- Assign the planning reports to the committee members.
- Review the data entry of the committee members for the planning reports and follow-up if necessary.
- Prepare Archives Committee progress report for the NMRT Executive Board.
- Capture the incoming progress reports from ALA Connect.
- Add the new incoming progress reports to the tracking spreadsheet, review for format errors and rename to have the correct file name syntax.
- Assign the progress reports to the committee members.
- Review the data entry of the committee members for the progress reports and follow-up if necessary.
- Review Handbook entry for adjustments to the schedule/procedures for the incoming chair.
- Review the Archives Committee Chair documentation for any adjustments that are needed.
- Prepare the Archives Committee final report for the NMRT Executive Board.
Last Reviewed: November 2016
Last Revised: November 2016