Conference Accessibility Task Force Committee
Here are the minutes from our 4/24 group call. Many thanks to Chris for his notes!
Action item: Complete the Test Accessibility Survey
- After taking the survey, provide all feedback about it, including any technical difficulties, to Melissa within five days of receipt.
Action item: Draft Recommendations due Thursday, May 11th
- For each subcategory assigned to you, post your recommendations as a new comment to the “CATF Recommendations Forum” in ALA Connect:
- Please write the subcategory name as the “subject” line, and kindly number your recommendations as outlined in these minutes.
- For the subcategories with multiple people assigned, feel free to make use of the "reply" function in the comments to continue a particular thread.
- Please note that you should address recommendations to the appropriate ALA unit; if unable to determine the correct unit, omit the addressee for now.
Here are the notes from our 4/13 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits. Note the inclusion of potential "umbrella" recommendations categories and subcategories, also listed below.
Action items highlighted:
- LAST CHANCE to send Melissa names and emails of guest testers by TODAY, 4/14 (2 invitees per person)
- Take survey when it is released
- Notify Melissa and Mike about any clarifications needed for questions, verbiage, or demographics
- Check for and report any technical glitches encountered
- Task force members and guests should provide feedback by Friday, 4/21
- Mary will send out completed Guidelines document to CATF members by Monday, 5/1
- Task force members should review current Best Practices for Presenters page and send suggestions for improvements and potential content to Lily by Monday, 5/1
Draft Recommendations Categories and Subcategories
Category 1: BEFORE (Pre-conference virtual and in-person meeting planning)
- Site Visits (1-2 years prior to conference; contract finalizing)
- Accommodations and Housing
- Conference Center Spaces (room setups overview, conference center spaces, room placement)
- Communication with Site Personnel (facilities and fixed spaces, help services, hotline awareness)
- Web Accessibility (registration, OnPeak, scheduler, conference app, online environment)
- Audiovisual Preparations (procedures for room setups, captioning, accessibility of virtual meeting software)
- Exhibits (hall setup, rest areas, vendor awareness and planning, wayfinding & signage, carpeting)
- Social Events and Off-Site Locations (individual division and group planning; reservations of accessible off-site spaces)
- Presenter Preparations (presentation best practices for accepted proposals; meeting & program planning checklist)
Category 2: DURING (Coordinating accommodations and addressing concerns on-site)
- On-Site Accessibility Services Management (availability and coordination of scooters, interpreters)
- Reporting Newly Arising Issues (addressing, troubleshooting, and tracking processes in real time)
- Setup and Maintenance for Programs and Exhibits (process for either participants or leaders/vendors reporting and handling issues with a specific event or space, including audiovisuals)
- Transportation (addressing transit needs and concerns)
- Awareness and Publicity of Reporting Issues (signage; program, site, & app links to hotlines; info booths knowledge)
Category 3: AFTER (Assessment and evaluation)
- Assessment (general needs, purpose, & sustainability)
- Surveying Methods (regular follow-up surveys; focus groups; data collection)
- Issue Tracking Database (creation, organization, & responsibility; review; maintenance & distribution of relevant info)
- Site and Systems Review (accessibility explicitly covered in site-specific decisions meetings immediately after conference; negotiating terms for reusing location)
- Improvements to Future Conferences (implementing changes following review; immediate incorporation of feedback into planning for upcoming conferences)
- Communication (providing updates, tips, and relevant info to members, leadership, vendors, & other ALA bodies)
This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).
To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here.
This document highlights compiled information about four designated training subgroups: ALA Permanent Staff, ALA Division and Round Table Leadership, Conference Presenters, and General Membership. We hope to fill in any gaps with the help of those in-the-know.
The subcommittee would like to request feedback no later than Friday, April 28, either through this forum or by emailing Lily directly: Lsacharow AT outlook DOT com.
Many thanks to all who assist in this endeavor.
Lily Sacharow, Training Subcommittee Chair
Please see the agenda attached (and pasted in below) for your perusal. Please begin thinking about the possibility of consolidating our recommendation categories as we have 11. Although many task force reports contain this many recommendations with submenu bullet points for steps to be taken, categories are a different animal, i.e. broader. But we can discuss tomorrow! Talk to you all soon.
Mike L. Marlin
Conference Accessibility Taskforce Meeting
April 13, 2017
Dial-in Number: 1-866-762-6113
Access Code: 80583538#
- Roll Call of Members
- Update on survey progress from Mellissa and Mike.
- Update on Guidelines from Mary.
- Update on training documents from Lily.
- Preliminary recommendations draft.
(please see CATF Connect site:
Categories thus far:
- Conference and virtual meeting planning
- Accommodations (hotels)
- Assessment and/or membership surveying (ongoing review; who does it)
- Exhibits: wayfinding and beacons, rest areas, carpeting
- Training and subcommittees (non-presenter materials)
- Presentations (audiovisual?)
- Physical environments (room setups, elevators, stairs, scooters)
- Technology, audiovisual, and online environment
- Meetings (room setups, presentation, communications)
- Social events (and event spaces)
- Finalizing Categories, i.e. Number of and Consolidation
- Assigning editors to each category.
- Meeting at Annual
Saturday, June 24, 10:30-11:30 AM, Room TBA
- Celebration at Annual
Tentatively scheduled for Sunday, June 25, 7-8:30 PM in Julie Todaro’s Suite at Hyatt McCormick Hotel
Need to confirm the slot, whom to invite, and tentative head count
- Next Meeting: Monday, April 24, 3:30 PM Eastern Time
Here are the notes from our 3/16 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits.
Action items highlighted:
- Provide last Conference Accessibility Guidelines comments to Mary by the end of March;
- Mary will email Lily some contacts from divisions, especially those that host their own conference (ACRL, PLA, AASL, LITA;
- By our next call, Mike and/or Chris will put out a drafting timeline for everyone;
- Chris will create a Doodle poll to try and coordinate an in-person meeting time in Chicago;
- Melissa is working on proposal and research agenda, and will submit this for review by the task force prior to the pilot survey (forthcoming)
Hello all; here is a finalized copy of our minutes from the in-person meeting in Atlanta.
Our action items, summarized:
- Please send Melissa (email@example.com) feedback on the survey questions, categories, and demographics options at your earliest convenience. We have set a review deadline for Monday, February 6.
- Mary Ghikas is still collecting feedback on her latest draft of Conference Accessibility Guidelines; please review and respond at your earliest convenience.
- Mike will send out the final version of recommendations from last year's Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion; we will likely take inspiration from their formatting and structure as we begin the task of drafting our own for Annual.
- Look for a forthcoming Doodle poll: we will be working to schedule bi-monthly meetings starting in the spring, and in the interest of including as many task force members as possible, we would like to select some options for alternate times to our current Monday afternoon slot.
Below are some sessions of interest concerning accessibility to attend at the upcoming ALA Midwinter meeting in Atlanta. This posting is intended for ALA membership and is being mentioned in our 2017 Midwinter Report to ALA Board and Council.
iday, January 20
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM – Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Town Hall Meeting - Georgia World Congress Center, B203
Saturday, January 21
8:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Board of Directors Meeting I (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B316
8:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Inclusive Practices at Your Library: Creating a Welcoming Environment for Your Patrons with Disabilities - Georgia World Congress Center, B313
8:30 AM – 10:00 AM – Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Implementation Working Group (EDI-IWG) - Georgia World Congress Center, B209
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Task Force on Conference Accessibility - Georgia World Congress Center, A309
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – Universal Access Interest Group Meeting (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B408
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM – Think Universal To Design Accessible Services for All - Georgia World Congress Center, A402
3:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Accessibility Assembly (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, A410
3:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Library Services to People with Visual or Physical Disabilities that Prevent Them from Reading Standard Print Interest Group (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, A410
Sunday, January 22
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Bridging the Digital Divide with Open eBooks - Georgia World Congress Center, A403
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM – The Past, Present, and Future of Disability Rights in the United States and Why it Matters to Libraries - Georgia World Congress Center, B407
Monday, January 23
6:30 AM – 7:30 AM – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Observation and Sunrise Celebration - Georgia World Congress Center, B302-B305
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Public Hearing for the Revision of the Standards for Libraries Serving People Who are Blind or Physically Handicapped (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B214
12:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Board of Directors Meeting II (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B316