Conference Accessibility Task Force Committee
Here are the notes from our 3/16 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits.
Action items highlighted:
- Provide last Conference Accessibility Guidelines comments to Mary by the end of March;
- Mary will email Lily some contacts from divisions, especially those that host their own conference (ACRL, PLA, AASL, LITA;
- By our next call, Mike and/or Chris will put out a drafting timeline for everyone;
- Chris will create a Doodle poll to try and coordinate an in-person meeting time in Chicago;
- Melissa is working on proposal and research agenda, and will submit this for review by the task force prior to the pilot survey (forthcoming)
This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).
To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here.
This document highlights compiled information about four designated training subgroups: ALA Permanent Staff, ALA Division and Round Table Leadership, Conference Presenters, and General Membership. We hope to fill in any gaps with the help of those in-the-know.
The subcommittee would like to request feedback no later than Friday, April 14, either through this forum or by emailing Lily directly: Lsacharow AT outlook DOT com.
Many thanks to all who assist in this endeavor.
Lily Sacharow, Training Subcommittee Chair
Hello all; here is a finalized copy of our minutes from the in-person meeting in Atlanta.
Our action items, summarized:
- Please send Melissa (email@example.com) feedback on the survey questions, categories, and demographics options at your earliest convenience. We have set a review deadline for Monday, February 6.
- Mary Ghikas is still collecting feedback on her latest draft of Conference Accessibility Guidelines; please review and respond at your earliest convenience.
- Mike will send out the final version of recommendations from last year's Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion; we will likely take inspiration from their formatting and structure as we begin the task of drafting our own for Annual.
- Look for a forthcoming Doodle poll: we will be working to schedule bi-monthly meetings starting in the spring, and in the interest of including as many task force members as possible, we would like to select some options for alternate times to our current Monday afternoon slot.
Below are some sessions of interest concerning accessibility to attend at the upcoming ALA Midwinter meeting in Atlanta. This posting is intended for ALA membership and is being mentioned in our 2017 Midwinter Report to ALA Board and Council.
iday, January 20
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM – Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS) Town Hall Meeting - Georgia World Congress Center, B203
Saturday, January 21
8:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Board of Directors Meeting I (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B316
8:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Inclusive Practices at Your Library: Creating a Welcoming Environment for Your Patrons with Disabilities - Georgia World Congress Center, B313
8:30 AM – 10:00 AM – Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Implementation Working Group (EDI-IWG) - Georgia World Congress Center, B209
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Task Force on Conference Accessibility - Georgia World Congress Center, A309
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – Universal Access Interest Group Meeting (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B408
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM – Think Universal To Design Accessible Services for All - Georgia World Congress Center, A402
3:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Accessibility Assembly (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, A410
3:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Library Services to People with Visual or Physical Disabilities that Prevent Them from Reading Standard Print Interest Group (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, A410
Sunday, January 22
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Bridging the Digital Divide with Open eBooks - Georgia World Congress Center, A403
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM – The Past, Present, and Future of Disability Rights in the United States and Why it Matters to Libraries - Georgia World Congress Center, B407
Monday, January 23
6:30 AM – 7:30 AM – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Observation and Sunrise Celebration - Georgia World Congress Center, B302-B305
10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Public Hearing for the Revision of the Standards for Libraries Serving People Who are Blind or Physically Handicapped (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B214
12:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Board of Directors Meeting II (ASCLA) - Georgia World Congress Center, B316