Syndicate content

Conference Accessibility Task Force Committee

View:   Faces | List

Discussion CATF Final Report

by Lily Sacharow on Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 09:40 am

Hello CATF members and friends, 

Hello CATF members and friends, 

I am pleased to provide the finalized documents coming out of the 2017 Annual Conference. They have been reviewed by ALA Council and the Executive Board, and are ready for more widespread dissemination.

There are two versions of the final report attached here: Word and PDF-A (accessible PDF).

Best,
Lily

More...

Discussion CATF Meeting at ALA Annual in Chicago

by Lily Sacharow on Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 09:37 am

Minutes from CATF's final in-person meeting, 6/24/17.

Discussion CATF Call 16 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 07:30 pm

Hi everyone,

We had our final phone meeting today! Minutes are attached.

I will post a first draft of the full report on Monday, 6/12, and we'll be looking for feedback. We are aiming to have a final draft done by Tuesday, 6/20 before people begin leaving for Chicago. 

We have one more in-person meeting at Annual, Saturday from 10:30-11:30am, during which we'll discuss any remaining business.

Thanks,
Lily

Discussion CATF Call 15 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Hi all, 

Here are the minutes from our most recent meeting, on Tuesday, May 30th.

Thanks to everyone for their input on all of the documents thus far. If you still have comments or suggestions for the recommendations, please send them to me ASAP at Lsacharow AT outlook.com.

Our next meeting is this coming Thursday, June 8th, at 11am Eastern time. I will try to post the updated draft of recommendations by Tuesday evening.

Thanks,

Lily

Discussion CATF Call 14 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Thu, May 11, 2017 at 03:52 pm

Attached here are minutes from today's conference call, 5/11 at 11am ET. 

Most of this call was spent reviewing the draft of compiled recommendations. If you are able, we are having another call this Sunday, 5/14, at 3pm ET to finish going through the draft. 

If you are unable to make this Sunday meeting and would like to provide feedback on the first draft, please email your suggestions to Lily or comment in the Connect forum where the draft is posted.

Discussion CATF Call 13 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 09:49 pm

Hi all,

Here are the minutes from our 4/24 group call. Many thanks to Chris for his notes!

Action item: Complete the Test Accessibility Survey

  • After taking the survey, provide all feedback about it, including any technical difficulties, to Melissa within five days of receipt.

Action item: Draft Recommendations due Thursday, May 11th

Hi all,

Here are the minutes from our 4/24 group call. Many thanks to Chris for his notes!

Action item: Complete the Test Accessibility Survey

  • After taking the survey, provide all feedback about it, including any technical difficulties, to Melissa within five days of receipt.

Action item: Draft Recommendations due Thursday, May 11th

  • For each subcategory assigned to you, post your recommendations as a new comment to the “CATF Recommendations Forum” in ALA Connect:
    • Please write the subcategory name as the “subject” line, and kindly number your recommendations as outlined in these minutes.
    • For the subcategories with multiple people assigned, feel free to make use of the "reply" function in the comments to continue a particular thread.
    • Please note that you should address recommendations to the appropriate ALA unit; if unable to determine the correct unit, omit the addressee for now.
More...

Discussion CATF Call 12 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:01 am

Hi everyone, 

Here are the notes from our 4/13 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits. Note the inclusion of potential "umbrella" recommendations categories and subcategories, also listed below. 

Action items highlighted: 

Hi everyone, 

Here are the notes from our 4/13 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits. Note the inclusion of potential "umbrella" recommendations categories and subcategories, also listed below. 

Action items highlighted: 

  1. LAST CHANCE to send Melissa names and emails of guest testers by TODAY, 4/14 (2 invitees per person)
  2. Take survey when it is released
    • Notify Melissa and Mike about any clarifications needed for questions, verbiage, or demographics
    • Check for and report any technical glitches encountered
    • Task force members and guests should provide feedback by Friday, 4/21

  3. Mary will send out completed Guidelines document to CATF members by Monday, 5/1

  4. Task force members should review current Best Practices for Presenters page and send suggestions for improvements and potential content to Lily by Monday, 5/1 

 

Draft Recommendations Categories and Subcategories

Category 1: BEFORE (Pre-conference virtual and in-person meeting planning)

  1. Site Visits (1-2 years prior to conference; contract finalizing)
  2. Accommodations and Housing
  3. Conference Center Spaces (room setups overview, conference center spaces, room placement)
  4. Communication with Site Personnel (facilities and fixed spaces, help services, hotline awareness)
  5. Web Accessibility (registration, OnPeak, scheduler, conference app, online environment)
  6. Audiovisual Preparations (procedures for room setups, captioning, accessibility of virtual meeting software)
  7. Exhibits (hall setup, rest areas, vendor awareness and planning, wayfinding & signage, carpeting)
  8. Social Events and Off-Site Locations (individual division and group planning; reservations of accessible off-site spaces)
  9. Presenter Preparations (presentation best practices for accepted proposals; meeting & program planning checklist)

    Category 2: DURING (Coordinating accommodations and addressing concerns on-site)

  1. On-Site Accessibility Services Management (availability and coordination of scooters, interpreters)
  2. Reporting Newly Arising Issues (addressing, troubleshooting, and tracking processes in real time)
  3. Setup and Maintenance for Programs and Exhibits (process for either participants or leaders/vendors reporting and handling issues with a specific event or space, including audiovisuals)
  4. Transportation (addressing transit needs and concerns)
  5. Awareness and Publicity of Reporting Issues (signage; program, site, & app links to hotlines; info booths knowledge)

    Category 3: AFTER (Assessment and evaluation)

  1. Assessment (general needs, purpose, & sustainability)
  2. Surveying Methods (regular follow-up surveys; focus groups; data collection)
  3. Issue Tracking Database (creation, organization, & responsibility; review; maintenance & distribution of relevant info)
  4. Site and Systems Review (accessibility explicitly covered in site-specific decisions meetings immediately after conference; negotiating terms for reusing location)
  5. Improvements to Future Conferences (implementing changes following review; immediate incorporation of feedback into planning for upcoming conferences)
  6. Communication (providing updates, tips, and relevant info to members, leadership, vendors, & other ALA bodies)
More...

Discussion CATF Training Feedback Forum

by Lily Sacharow on Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 07:38 am

This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).

To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here. 

This forum is open as part of a feedback process for ALA's Conference Accessibility Task Force (CATF).

To help prepare for writing recommendations to ALA Council, the CATF Training Subcommittee has requested feedback from several ALA leadership bodies on a draft of a "Master Training Document," attached here. 

This document highlights compiled information about four designated training subgroups: ALA Permanent Staff, ALA Division and Round Table Leadership, Conference Presenters, and General Membership. We hope to fill in any gaps with the help of those in-the-know. 

The subcommittee would like to request feedback no later than Friday, April 28, either through this forum or by emailing Lily directly: Lsacharow AT outlook DOT com. 

Many thanks to all who assist in this endeavor.

Lily Sacharow, Training Subcommittee Chair 

More...

Discussion CATF April 13 Conference Call Agenda

by Mike Marlin on Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 02:32 pm

Dear colleagues,

 

Please see the agenda attached  (and pasted in below) for your perusal. Please begin thinking about the possibility of consolidating our recommendation categories as we have 11. Although many task force reports contain this many recommendations with submenu bullet points for steps to be taken, categories are a different animal, i.e. broader. But we can discuss tomorrow! Talk to you all soon.

 

Mike L.  Marlin

CATF Co-chair 

 

 

 

 

Conference Accessibility Taskforce Meeting

April 13, 2017

Dear colleagues,

 

Please see the agenda attached  (and pasted in below) for your perusal. Please begin thinking about the possibility of consolidating our recommendation categories as we have 11. Although many task force reports contain this many recommendations with submenu bullet points for steps to be taken, categories are a different animal, i.e. broader. But we can discuss tomorrow! Talk to you all soon.

 

Mike L.  Marlin

CATF Co-chair 

 

 

 

 

Conference Accessibility Taskforce Meeting

April 13, 2017

Agenda

 

Dial-in Number: 1-866-762-6113

Access Code: 80583538#

Agenda

 

  1. Roll Call of Members

 

  1. Update on survey progress from Mellissa and Mike.

 

  1. Update on Guidelines from Mary.

 

  1. Update on training documents  from Lily.

 

  1. Preliminary recommendations draft.

(please see CATF Connect site:

http://connect.ala.org/node/264500

 

Categories thus far:

Preliminary Recommendation Categories : CATF Recommendations Forum

 

  1. Conference and virtual meeting planning
  2. Accommodations (hotels)
  3. Assessment and/or membership surveying (ongoing review;      who does it)
  4. Exhibits: wayfinding and beacons, rest areas, carpeting
  5. Training and subcommittees (non-presenter materials)
  6. Presentations (audiovisual?)
  7. Physical environments (room setups, elevators, stairs,      scooters)
  8. Technology, audiovisual, and online environment
  9. Meetings (room setups, presentation, communications)
  10. Social events (and event spaces)
  11. Communications

 

 

  1. Finalizing Categories, i.e. Number of and Consolidation
  2. Assigning editors to each category.

 

  1. Meeting at Annual

Saturday, June 24, 10:30-11:30 AM, Room TBA

 

  1. Celebration at Annual

Tentatively scheduled for Sunday, June 25, 7-8:30 PM in Julie Todaro’s Suite at Hyatt McCormick Hotel

Need to confirm the slot, whom to invite, and tentative head count

 

  1. Next Meeting: Monday, April 24, 3:30 PM Eastern Time

 

 

 

More...

Discussion CATF Call 11 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 10:40 am

Hello everyone, 

Attached are the minutes from the task force conference call on Monday, 3/27, and also Mike's timeline for drafting recommendations. Please contact Lily directly if you would like to include or edit anything from these notes. 

Best, 

Lily 

Pages

Subscribe to Conference Accessibility Task Force