Syndicate content

Student Gift Membership Task Force Community

In: Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC)
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc ALSC Student Membership Task Force 12/4/17 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:03 pm


ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda


ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions

- Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea
- Introductions/Attendees Elizabeth, Karen, Kenneth, Patrick, Melody
- Elizabeth will remove Ted McCoy from committee page
- Introduced new member, Melody T. Leung
- Revisions/Additions to Agenda? - review Function Statement

 

2. Communications with Students

- What are your suggestions for future topics?
- What kind of responses are you getting (if any)? Not many.

- Perhaps if the emails were more personal, more like mentoring emails rather than news alerts, students would be more responsive. We will try sending out more brief and informal email messages monthly instead of every other month.

> ACTION each Task Force member will send emails to their assigned recipients in December. Keep it brief and informal. Include any ALSC news you find interesting. Note on the spreadsheet the date emails were sent. The five students who have dropped out have been crossed out on our spreadsheet. No need to email them.

- Is there a way for the students to meet each other? We could use Zoom to host a meeting, give a topic for discussion - Jbrary journal club? Mock discussion? The topic is important - book stuff, award stuff, Morris Seminar info, landing a job, how to get on an award committee. Someone from the managing services committee could talk about successful job search techniques.

> ACTION We will add question on mid-point survey if they’re interested in meeting each other and what topics they would want to discuss.

3. Student Post for ALSC Blog

- One recipient has already contributed a blog post on December 4! http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2017/12/student-gift-membership-recipient-angela-bair/

- We will ask recipients in Dec email if they would be interested in writing a post for the ALSC blog. Suggest good candidates to Elizabeth and she will send them some guiding questions.  

 

4. Mid-point Survey in January

- Reviewed survey questions on final report.

- Additional questions:
- Is there something you are not getting from ALSC membership that you need?
- What’s the best way to communicate with you?
- Do you plan on renewing at the end of the program?
- What service has ALSC provided?

- Incentive for filling it out - ALSC office will offer credit for an online course, signed books
- Elizabeth will create survey in Survey Monkey, we will make the due date a week after we send it out, send followup emails to recipients who do not respond.
- We will compare baseline to mid-point and report to board.

> ACTION Andrea will share draft of survey, send final questions to Eliza by mid Dec. (Elizabeth out of the office Dec 21- 1.)

5. Q&A and Other Business

- Review Function Statement - Elizabeth will share form we use to update charge/function statement.  

- Elizabeth is making sure second year is paid for. MACS says five students are no longer in program. She will send the names. They may have renewed for one year, not realizing that they still qualify. If people drop off we will not replace them. We could not include them in final assessment and it would extend the TF work by a year.
- Elizabeth will look at emails bouncing back on the spreadsheet.  

6. Schedule Next Meeting Date

- Andrea will send out potential dates for the next meeting.

More...

Online Doc ALSC Student Membership Task Force 12/4/17 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 09:36 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Monday, December 4, 2017 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
- Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
- Introductions/Attendees
- Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Communications with Students
- What are your suggestions for future topics?
- What kind of responses are you getting (if any)?

3. Student Post for ALSC Blog
- Please suggest recipients who would be good candidates for writing a guest post on the ALSC blog

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Monday, December 4, 2017 2:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions
- Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance
- Introductions/Attendees
- Revisions/Additions to Agenda

2. Communications with Students
- What are your suggestions for future topics?
- What kind of responses are you getting (if any)?

3. Student Post for ALSC Blog
- Please suggest recipients who would be good candidates for writing a guest post on the ALSC blog

4. Mid-point Survey in January
- Please review our mid-point survey in our final report in the shared folder.
- Incentive for filling it out
- Entry into Survey Monkey, due date, followup emails, analysis

5. Q&A and Other Business
- Review Function Statement

6. Schedule Next Meeting Date

More...

File SGMTF_com-year-end-report_2017-18-work-plan-

by Andrea V. Johnson on Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:22 pm

PDF File, 125.49 KB

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 3/14/17 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:36 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

  • Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance – Patrick

  • Introductions/Attendees – Andrea, Aimee, Ted, and Patrick

  • Revisions/Additions to Agenda – NONE

 

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

  • Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance – Patrick

  • Introductions/Attendees – Andrea, Aimee, Ted, and Patrick

  • Revisions/Additions to Agenda – NONE

 

2. Communication with Recipients

  • First email out – to incorporate into blog post

    • Not a huge response

      • Andrea – 1

      • Ted – 1

      • Patrick – 3-4

  • How frequent should we communicate?

    • Once a month seems too much

    • At least at a two-month minimum

      • Or when something comes up

  • Point new members to new aspects of library community building opportunity

    • Storytime Underground

    • NM roundtable

    • ALA Think Tank

    • ALSC networking events at ANNUAL

    • ALSC Listserv

    • Ribbon? Pitch idea to Aimee

  • We need to make a google doc of what we want to share

  • Get ALA What’s Happening from Aimee in March

  • Andrea will set a Google Drive table with varying dates to send out communications…

    • Add a column of when people are contacted on the recipients spreadsheet – so no one is missed

3. Blog post:

  • It’s great – thanks Andrea!

  • There will be a photo attached – see email by Andrea

4. Q&A and Other Business:

  • SGM Ribbons:

    • Ask new members to participate in selecting a new member ribbon?

    • Slogan? What should it say?

  • Ted – “The Future of ALSC”

5. Next Meeting Dates

  • iday, April 14, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts - *tentative*

  • iday, May 19, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

  • iday, June 9, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 3/14/17 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 09:51 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, March 14, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Communication with Recipients

 

3. Blog Post

 

4. Q&A and Other Business

 

5. Review of New Action Items

 

6. Next Meeting Dates

iday, April 14, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, May 19, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, June 9, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

 

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 2/17/17 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 03:53 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Friday, February 17, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea
b. Introductions/Attendees  - Kenneth, Karen, Dan, Andrea
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - None

2. Pilot Update

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)
Friday, February 17, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea
b. Introductions/Attendees  - Kenneth, Karen, Dan, Andrea
c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda - None

2. Pilot Update

All 100 applications have been processed by the membership office. They were almost done at the end of December and Dan had to iron out issues with a couple memberships before we proceeded with the welcome emails.

3. Communication with Recipients

There is a new spreadsheet in the shared drive for the 100 recipients: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/142TqMh9B5cjUHKYsPTx4Rv0dAt5N58lNT7Kak6UXpaE/edit?usp=sharing
It has a column with our names added. We each have 15 recipients assigned to us, Karen has 10. I know I said I would write a template for this but it is so straightforward you won’t need one. Just send a “brief, warm and casual” welcome email to each recipient (send them individually, not to the whole group at once). Introduce yourself and offer to answer any questions they may have, etc. They have already received information from ALA and ALSC about membership benefits, so no need to go into detail about that. Also let them know that we will be sending a survey at the end of the first membership year. 

Let's get these sent by Wednesday, February 22, with a deadline for replies by March 1, because must submit our blog post by the first week of March. 

4. March Blog Post

Look at your recipients’ survey responses in the other spreadsheet, and choose one or two articulate/interesting recipients to ask two follow-up questions for the ALSC blog post. Here is some language you are welcome to use: 

Would you be willing to tell us more about yourself that we can share in an ALSC blog post?  This is totally optional, of course, but we would need your answers by Wednesday, March 1st.  
What led you to want a MLS/MLIS degree? What are your dreams about working as a children's librarian?

5. Q&A and Other Business 

Dan's last day at ALSC will be next Friday (sob!) and he will make sure his replacement is prepared to work with us. 

6. Review of New Action Items 

All: Welcome emails sent by Wednesday 2/22
All: Expect a message from me next week asking for contributions and edits to our ALSC blog post 

7. Next Meeting Dates

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
Friday, April 14, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
Friday, May 19, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
Friday, June 9, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

More...

Online Doc ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force Feb 15 2017 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Reporting Period*: February 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Reporting Period*: February 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com
Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a
Incoming Chair (if known): n/a
Committee/Task Force Members (names only)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson
Patrick J. Gall 
Lauren Magielnicki 
Ted McCoy 
Kenneth Roman 
Brittany A. Tavernaro 
Karen Ann MacPherson
Per the Division Leadership Manual, the committee is expected to annually review its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan. When did you last review it with your committee? Note: Recommendations for changes should be submitted to Organization & Bylaws. : September 15 Reporting Period
Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last report. Please remember not to include confidential or sensitive information.*: In early January the task force summarized survey responses from the 208 applicants and shared a brief report with the ALSC board. In late January, ALA’s Membership and Customer Service department finalized the registrations of the 100 successful applicants to the gift membership program. The task force will meet on  iday, February 17 to discuss next steps, which are contacting each recipient to offer congratulations and support, and writing an ALSC blog post scheduled for mid-March. The blog post will describe the program and what we are learning about the needs of early career librarians.
Please do not copy a.../Advocacy: Our blog post will emphasize the benefits ALSC provides to early career librarians and describe their enthusiasm for ALSC membership.
Please do not copy a.../Education: Our main intention for maintaining friendly contact with the 100 recipients is to ensure that they are aware of ALSC professional development opportunities.
Please do not copy a.../Access to Library Services:  
An ALSC core value is collaboration. Please describe collaborations you have initiated or would like to initiate with other ALSC or ALA committees to help further your work. Please list the desired outcomes you envision from this/these collaboration(s). What are the next steps you have set to accomplish this? What assistance do you need in taking this forward?: Nothing new to report since December.
Please describe activities you would like to pursue for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? What are the next steps you have set to accomplish this? What assistance do you need in taking this forward? Please be as detailed as possible.: Nothing new to report since December.
If you could recommend a research topic, pertaining to the realm of your committee’s work, to an academic colleague, what would you request s/he research and why? (In other words, what gaps in research do you see in this particular area so that ALSC can share with the Association for Library and Information Science Educators and/or help develop ALSC's own research agenda?): No new recommendations since December.
If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Email, Google Hangout
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.
Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms.*: Yes
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes
More...

Discussion ALSC Student Membership Task Force 2/17/17 Meeting Agenda

by Andrea V. Johnson on Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 09:25 pm


ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, February 17, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Pilot Update

 


ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, February 17, 2017 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

 

1. Welcome and Introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance

b. Introductions/Attendees  

c. Revisions/Additions to Agenda

 

2. Pilot Update

 

3. Communication with Recipients

 

4. March Blog Post

 

5. Q&A and Other Business

 

6. Review of New Action Items

 

7. Next Meeting Dates
iday, March 17, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts
iday, April 14, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, May 19, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

iday, June 9, 2017 3:00pm CST Google Hangouts

More...

Discussion ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force 12/16/16 Meeting Notes

by Andrea V. Johnson on Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 10:32 pm

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, December 16, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees  - Patrick, Karen, Andrea

ALSC Student Membership Task Force (virtual meeting, Google Hangouts)

iday, December 16, 2016 3:00 p.m. CST

 

Meeting Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

a. Appoint volunteer to take minutes/attendance - Andrea

b. Introductions/Attendees  - Patrick, Karen, Andrea

c. Revisions/Additions to agenda - None

2. Project update
Dan sends his thanks to the task force for their efforts. He has sent 100 applications to the ALA Membership & Customer Service people.  When he hears back from them, he will email all the successful/unsuccessful applicants. After that, we can start talking about next steps, i.e. communications with the recipients assigned to us.

Do we know how many were disqualified? Andrea will ask Dan.

3. ALSC blog post ideas
We had planned to advertise the program in an ALSC blog post. Since we no longer need promotion, Mary Voors suggested it might be interesting to interview some of the people who have applied for the memberships and find out their stories with questions like:

  • What is their background?

  • What led them to wanting their MLS/MLIS degree?

  • what are their dreams about working as children's librarians?

  • would they have been able to join ALSC without this program?

  • what do they think a membership in ALSC will offer them?
    She also suggested it might be interesting to do a post on how to run a successful campaign. “you guys were REALLY successful! How did that happen? How can it be replicated?”  


We think the first suggestion is more compelling. We can make a blog interview part of our first contact with recipients. Each TF member could look at the applications for the 20 recipients assigned to them, and choose one with interesting answers to follow up with. In the post we could share data from the 238 applications (but ask permission before quoting survey responses/anecdotes).  Andrea will ask Mary Voors for a mid February date for the post.

4. New agenda item: Analyzing applications
We might find some interesting trends in the applications, particularly in the survey responses about ALSC participation and what “problem” they are looking to solve with membership. Let’s split the data points into categories, assign one area to each member to analyze.
Patrick noticed only one male in his group of applications. Unfortunate that we can’t report the female to male ratio; too hard to determine using only first name. Information derived from their responses will be useful for the strategic plan, which will be put out to the membership at Midwinter.

5. New agenda item: ALSC resource list
Nina Lindsay has asked committees to review a post-election resource list that will be made available to members. Have we developed resources that would be useful? Andrea mentioned our contact list of ALA committees that represent diverse populations in her quarterly report to the ALSC board. It may be more helpful to the ALSC office or committee chairs. We’ll see what the board says.

4. Next steps

- In order to seek out interesting data or trends in the applications, Andrea will assign categories for members to examine.
- Waiting for word from Dan about 100 memberships processed. Then recipients will be assigned to TF members. Andrea will draft an informal welcome email template members can use if they like.
- We will also invite some recipients to elaborate on their survey answers for our February blog post.

5. Q&A and other business

 

6. Scheduling 2017 meeting dates

Please send known conflicts Jan-May. Considering skipping January and meeting next on Fri Feb 17.

 

More...

Online Doc ALSC Student Gift Membership Task Force Dec 15 2016 Report

by Andrea V. Johnson on Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:34 am

Reporting Period*: December 15

Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force

Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)

Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson

Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com

Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a

Incoming Chair (if known): n/a

Reporting Period*: December 15

Name of Committee or Task Force*: Student Gift Membership Task Force

Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)

Current Chair(s)*: Andrea Vaughn Johnson

Chair's Email*: andreavaughnjohnson@gmail.com

Co-Chair's email (if applicable): n/a

Incoming Chair (if known): n/a

Committee/Task Force Members*:
Andrea Vaughn Johnson (Chair, December 17, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Patrick J. Gall (Member, November 29, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Ms. Lauren Magielnicki (Member, November 24, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Ted McCoy (Member, October 13, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Kenneth Roman (Member, December 5, 2015, to July 31, 2019)
Brittany A. Tavernaro (Member Liaison, September 21, 2016, to June 30, 2019)
Julie Dietzel-Glair (Consultant, July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2017)
Karen Ann MacPherson (Board Liaison, September 21, 2016, to June 30, 2019)

Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws. *: Yes

Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: The task force met monthly this fall to create a promotion plan and work out logistics of the application and processing memberships. In early November we alerted several ALA entities and GSLIS contacts that the program would be announced Dec 1. Within five days of the announcement on ALSC-L, we received over 200 applicants for the program! Our work quickly shifted from promotion to reviewing applications so that they could be processed quickly. Dan Bostrom has done a tremendous amount of work for this program, from creating the online form and press release, to ironing out details with the membership office, to overseeing the processing of the applications. We are grateful for his help and expertise. Our next step is to provide a personal contact to each of the 100 recipients. We will divide them among the task force members and send periodic check-in emails with ALSC opportunities and encouragement. We also plan to contribute a post to the ALSC blog about the program.

Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: We are thrilled that the 100 gift memberships will boost membership numbers. We intend to make sure recipients are aware of professional development opportunities to further ALSC’s goal of improving member education.

Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work: We are following with interest the work of the ALSC Diversity Task Force to see how we could define success in recruiting a diverse group of recipients, to support ALSC's Goal 4: "Create resources to assist libraries in recruiting, developing, and retaining diverse highly qualified individuals who specialize in library service to children and reflect increasingly diverse communities."

Please list any suggestions you have for future education topics, publications, or online resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.: We compiled a contact list of ALA divisions, committees, and round tables that could help us reach diverse populations with information about the program. Perhaps this list would be a useful document for the ALSC office to keep internally.

If you could recommend a research topic, pertaining to the realm of your committee’s work, to an academic colleague, what would you request s/he research and why? (In other words, what gaps in research do you see in this particular area?): No recommendations at this time.

If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Email, Conference calls, Virtual meetings via Google Hangouts

When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Posting minutes in committee's ALA Connect space., Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.

For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms (Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: Yes

If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes

More...

Pages

To explore the possibility of, and make recommendations regarding a pilot program that would offer the gift of ALA/ALSC memberships to children’s services-focused students graduating from ALA-accredited graduate schools of library and information science (GSLIS) with the objective of encouraging and supporting new professionals in their ALSC membership and engagement.

Subscribe to Student Gift Membership Task Force