GODORT IDTF Preconference “International Statistics: Helping Library Users Understand the Global Community” at 2013 ALA Chicago
**Cross-Posted to several lists**
Feeling confident about your ability to answer international statistics questions? Navigating the world of international statistics is as daunting as it sounds. Which sources are authoritative and which are fictitious? Why is it so important to understand the political context in which statistics were collected and compiled before using them in an assignment, article, or report?
The International Documents Task Force (IDTF) of the Government Documents Roundtable invites you to participate in a preconference at ALA 2013 that will provide you with the skills necessary to identify, assess, and access authoritative statistical sources.
- WHEN: June 28, 2013, Friday, 9:00 am - 3:00pm
- WHERE: University of Illinois at Chicago Library
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Anyone interested in learning about and accessing international statistics. Relevant to government information specialists and generalists working in all types of libraries, including public, academic and special libraries.
Come learn from our experts:
- Michael McCaffrey, Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
- Valentina Kalk, Chief, United Nations Publications
- Neil Fantom, Manager, Development Data Group & Open Data Initiative, World Bank
- Gareth McGuinnes, Section Chief, Data Warehouse and Dissemination, Statistics Department, International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Toby Green, Head of Publishing, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
Register here and register early - space is limited: http://ala13.ala.org/register-now (Event Code: GOD1) Conference registration is not required in order to register for this preconference and lunch is included in the rate.
Registration Rates: $100, GODORT member*; $150, ALA member / non-member; $75 Student member. Note that discounted rates will appear at the end of the registration process.
*NOTE: If you do not get the GODORT membership rate when registering, please contact Barbara Miller, email@example.com
Questions, contact: Amanda Wakaruk, firstname.lastname@example.org