Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) Community

39 members  |  About this group  |   Syndicate content

A working list of potential project activities, partnership, etc.:

NOTE: For press release-type info about SustainRT, check out piece Bonnie Smith's piece at http://ufdc.ufl.edu/l/AA00005033/00006

*There is a newer draft version available for editing*

***********************************************************************

BYLAWS: Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)

 

  1. I.                   Name:

      The name of this organization shall be the Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT).

 

AGENDA from 2-8-13 (BlackBoard virtual meeting)

In attendance: Bonnie Smith, Beth Filar Williams, Madeleine Charney, Mara Egherman, Leighann Wood, Ashley Jones.

noon - 1pm EST

321
View:   Faces | List

Discussion Mid-Winter Meeting Minutes 1/27/2014

by Ashley Jones on Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 03:31 pm

SustainRT Meeting Minutes

ALA MidWinter Meeting

Philadelphia, PA

January 27, 2014
8:30 am

 

Present:

Ashley Jones (SustainRT Steering Committee member)

Mary Beth Lock (Planning and Budget Assembly Representative)

Emily Sheketoff (Washington Office)

Kate Hutchens

Suzanne Lipkin

Lori Shemanski

Ashley Sowa

 

Meeting commenced at 8:30 am

 

1)     Introductions

 

SustainRT Meeting Minutes

ALA MidWinter Meeting

Philadelphia, PA

January 27, 2014
8:30 am

 

Present:

Ashley Jones (SustainRT Steering Committee member)

Mary Beth Lock (Planning and Budget Assembly Representative)

Emily Sheketoff (Washington Office)

Kate Hutchens

Suzanne Lipkin

Lori Shemanski

Ashley Sowa

 

Meeting commenced at 8:30 am

 

1)     Introductions

 

Ashley gave a brief history of the formation of SustainRT as well as the motivations and goals behind the formation of the group. Namely that SustainRT aims to build a more resilient, harmonious, and holistic community through the economic, environmental, and social aspects of sustainability, going  beyond the concept of just being “green."

 

Emily Sheketoff from the ALA Washington office, government relations and information technology policy, offered ideas for working together: keeping SustainRT informed of relevant issues; being available to SustainRT when we need information when we need it. She also asked if it was alright for the Washington Office to come to us with certain issues they think we might have a stake in. She recommended we subscribe to district dispatch in order to keep up with news and information.

 

Mary Beth mentioned she had attended the Planning and Budget Assembly on SustainRT’s behalf the day before. Due to SustainRT’s early stage of becoming established, she did not have any items to report

 

2)     Announcements about the upcoming elections and call for volunteers, as well as the Lightening Talks program at ALA Annual on Sat. 6/28 1:00--2:30

 

3)     General Discussion about goals and priorities for SustainRT. Ashley stressed that the meeting was meant to be an informal discussion of ideas, as the leadership for the round table is not yet in place. Once leaders are identified, SustainRT will facilitate the gathering of resources, sharing of ideas, networking and learning opportunities, and bringing like-minded people together. It was discussed that sustainability in libraries could encompass many things such as curriculum development, collection development, exhibits, events, and advocacy. She mentioned the 12/11/13 open, virtual discussion and the ideas generated. A popular idead was for SustainRT to develop a toolkit of practical items such as a list of talking points, a speakers bureau, lesson plans, books, web sites.  

 

4)     Some attendees shared their experiences serving on a library green team.

 

5)     The role of smaller working groups within SustainRT was discussed, as the way for people to focus on their own specific sustainable interests within the broader scope of the group. Attendees expressed interest in sustainable space renovation; eliminating ALA Mid-Winter meeting (already being discussed in other ALA groups and divisions); evaluating outcomes of eliminating MW from a sustainability stand point; producing a means for conference attendees to engage in sustainable behavior at professional conferences (e.g. ride-shares, local and sustainable restaurants, sustainable accommodations); collecting circulation stats on Cognotes (e.g. number of each issue printed vs. number taken by conference attendees).

 

6)     As the meeting came to an end, the various ways to stay connected were re-iterated (website, facebook, LinkedIn, listserve, ALA connect) and instructions for how to join SustainRT.

 

Meeting adjourned at 9:37 am

 

Respectfully submitted by Ashley Jones, February 5, 2014

More...

Event SustainRT Mid-Winter Meeting 2014

by Ashley Jones on Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 01:46 pm

SustainRT Mid-Winter Meeting Agenda

Monday January 27, 2014; 8:30-10:00 am, Pennsylvania Convention Center room 202A

 The purpose of this meeting is to continue the general discussion on the future direction and programming of the Sustainability Round Table. As the Round Table leadership has yet to be elected, the meeting will serve as an informal brainstorming and informational session. This meeting is open to anyone who would like to attend.

 Agenda

SustainRT Mid-Winter Meeting Agenda

Monday January 27, 2014; 8:30-10:00 am, Pennsylvania Convention Center room 202A

 The purpose of this meeting is to continue the general discussion on the future direction and programming of the Sustainability Round Table. As the Round Table leadership has yet to be elected, the meeting will serve as an informal brainstorming and informational session. This meeting is open to anyone who would like to attend.

 Agenda

  • Brief background information and activities to date
  • Summary of the December 11, 2013 virtual discussion, including poll results
  • Brainstorm strategic plan ideas – broad, general discussion of where we want to go once leadership is in place
  • Discuss upcoming elections and positions, call for volunteers (nomination deadline January 31, 2014)
  • Discuss SustainRT program for ALA Annual 2014 in Las Vegas. Looking for suggested speakers and topics for 4 to 6 lightning talks to highlight various aspects of sustainability in Special, Public, School and Academic Libraries.
  • Staying connected with SustainRT
More...

Event SustainRT virtual discussion 12/11/13

by Beth Filar-Williams on Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Follow up from our first SustainRT Virtual Discussion today:

  • recording (it downloads java and runs the recording)
  • powerpoint (attached as pdf)
  • google doc (open to all, where we shared idea and things we had done)

Online Doc Minutes 8-15-13 SustainRT meeting

by Madeleine Charney on Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

SustainRT teleconference meeting 8/15/13

MINUTES

Recording here:
https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2013-08-15.0716.M.669FDEC58C8549C611C2EC64F0EDEE.vcr&sid=315

Meeting commenced: 10:00 am EST

Meeting adjourned: 11:05 am EST

SustainRT teleconference meeting 8/15/13

MINUTES

Recording here:
https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2013-08-15.0716.M.669FDEC58C8549C611C2EC64F0EDEE.vcr&sid=315

Meeting commenced: 10:00 am EST

Meeting adjourned: 11:05 am EST

In attendance:
Madeleine Charney
Beth Filar Williams
Ashley Jones
Mara Egerman
Carrie Moran
Leighann Wood
Bonnie Smith
Kim Kane

AGENDA

1) Proposal for ALA 2014 in Las Vegas.

Good news:  Round tables can sponsor a program and need no approval. Our deadline will be in October/November

1)      We will co-sponsor water program with ALA/ACRL Law and Political Science Section (LPSS). Ashley will be liaison for this!

2)      We will propose Lightning Talks: Different librarians showcase sustainability actions at their libraries. Perhaps create "mini" action plans for people to take away. For example, "i'm a school librarian who created a garden in the courtyard for kids to learn how to grow their own food"--here's how you can do it. Ideally,  presenters will become acquainted beforehand so they know others are doing, find common ground and make a more cohesive presentation all together.  IMPORTANT: a take away (e.g. handout, something to post on our website, LibGuide, wikis for referral afterwards)

Presenters:

1 - Public

2 - School

3 - Academic

4 - Special

5 - Corporate/non-profit

6 - Other: Rebekah Aldridge has already  volunteered to present

Other: Mandy Henke (not sure she can be there)

 

 

2a) Other ideas to keep in mind for the future:

How to Create a Sustainability Action Plan (hands-on workshop with Madeleine and others)

Mandy Henk (SustainRT sponsors her as a speaker?)

Debbie Balsamo, EPA in Triangle Park? Maybe talk about this topic as a discussion? Or a visit and tour of the EPA?s library? Fred Stoss had been on a tour at another event.

Can we incorporate United Nations? Decade of Sustainable Development[2], US partnership (Terry is a fellow with them)? Ends in 2015.

Those in higher ed, collaborate with AASHE[3]? Get libraries more involved. Get your institution involved.

Metrics on corporate responsibility (Fred).

Birding session at a past conference.

Fred gives talks on Al Gore?s climate change talk and could again -webinar?

Unity college president would possibly do a webinar, the first college to eliminate fossil fuels! (Melora)

"Libraries Build Sustainable Communities" part 2 (Fred suggests)
http://www.ala.org/srrt/tfoe/lbsc/librariesbuildsustainablecommunitiesin...

Sustainable thinking in libraries, community support looking at financial aspect.

GODORT session, like conference sponsored by Iowa GODORT on how to get government resources for your sustainability projects. (Mara)http://www.iowalibraryassociation.org/images/subdivisions/GODART/agenda_...

2) Electing officers

Need PBA rep by Sept. 1st. (Leighann will send out Call for Volunteer right away)

Ballot needs to be ready for February; elections in March

Coordinator (Ashley)
Coordinator Elect
Immediate Past Coordinator (Beth?)
Treasurer
Secretary 
Members at large (2 needed: Bonnie and Madeleine)

Also need appointed volunteers for:
Membership (Mara)
Web site (Carrie)
Publications (Melora? If this includes social media)
Nominating
Programming (Leighann)
Initiatives (e.g. for conference “greening”)
Budget? (treasurer?)

We will function as a Steering Committee until these roles are fulfilled.

After bylaws are final, Mara will put out a call for candidates on the listserv.

3) New website

Carrie will get Drupal training from John Amundsen and Pam Akins
She looked at all other ALA sites
We need a logo
She will contact Melora Ranney Norman, Unity College (Maine) melora@librarygrist.net . Melora  agreed to make a Facebook page.
Everyone: Send photos to Carie for the “gallery” on our new page.

4) Finalizing by-laws

Ashley will post newest version on Connect with date
Deadline for comments: Mon. 9/16/13

5) For ALA 2014 (and other conferences):

We will have our Initiative person attend to these types of ideas:

Add in better foods aspect, yoga sessions, walks, meditation room while at ALA (Carrie).
Look at recycling and environmental aspects of the convention center (Melora).

Respectfully submitted,

Madeleine Charney
8/15/13

More...

Discussion Thinking Green and Opinions on Conference Book (#11, 14, 15 of Post Conference Survey)

by Ann Crewdson on Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 05:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if you're on the GLBTRT list.  There's been a discussion on how to cut down waste by reducing or getting rid of the conference schedule book.

Questions #11, 14, 15 of the post-conference survey deals specifically with the conference book.

Be sure to fill out these questions if you have an opinion on this gigantic conference book we all receive at registration.
 
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ala2013survey

Thanks,

Ann Crewdson

Online Doc Minutes of ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) meeting,1 July 2013, Chicago

by Beth Filar-Williams on Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:15 am

 

Minutes of ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) meeting                                    1 July 2013

Hyatt McCormick Place, Chicago

 

Minutes of ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) meeting                                    1 July 2013

Hyatt McCormick Place, Chicago

In attendance: Leighann Wood, ALA; Carrie Moran, U of Central Florida; Craig Emerson, ProQuest; Terry Link, MSU; Fred Stoss, SUNY Buffalo; Tasha Cooper, Syracuse U; Jeff Hartsell-Gundy, Miami U; Ashley Jones, Miami U; Beth Filar Williams, U North Carolina-Greensboro; Debbie Campbell, CARLI; Melora Ranney Norman, Unity College; Astrid Britten, Aruba; Monique Albeits, Sint Maarten; Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Sustainable Libraries; Kim Medema, Loyola U; Kim Kane, U of California-San Diego; Rachel Myers, U of California-San Diego; Michelle Harrell Washington, ALA; Mara Egherman, Central College.

Introductions. Beth and Ashley mostly chaired the meeting, starting by asking folks to introduce themselves, so we went around the table. Also noted that we don’t have an official leader yet, elections will be in the fall for officers that will begin in the spring of 2014. Therefore this meeting has no official chair, but the founding members will lead us in discussion.

Beth and Ashley explained that this first meeting of SustainRT grew out of a series of four well-attended webinars during 2012 designed to explore reinvigoration of the Task Force on the Environment (TFOE) under the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT) of ALA and/or other options, out of which grew the sentiment that a new Round Table be formed. This takes the issue of sustainability to a higher level in ALA (and is broadly defined below). After a successful petition campaign, we were able to bring the request to ALA Council and it was quickly approved. During this process, new leaders emerged. The Steering Committee/founding members are currently working on bylaws.

Beth read our mission statement to the assembled group:

"The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) invites the exchange of ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society. The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design."

Mara chimed in that we want to incorporate all kinds of libraries, librarians, library workers and others though most founding members are in academia. Also, in addition to our ALA Connect site, we have a listserv on ALA’s site:  sustainrt-l@ala.org, the Sustainability Librarians group on Linked In, and we are tweeting at #alaSustainRT. Also make sure to add #ala2013 to any tweets. Via social media we can reach out to non-ALA members. Thanked Terry and Fred for their past work as TFOE chairs and support of the new Round Table. Noted that other groups, such as ALA/ACRL Western European Study Section (WESS)/Scandinavian may be interested in partnering for program planning. Session on environmental issues in Arctic, for example.

(Fred?) suggested that we look to SRRT and ALA’s Intellectual Freedom Round Table (IFRT)’s bylaws and how they incorporate all types of libraries. SustainRT is complementary to TFOE - Fred said that SRRT might be disbanding TFOE, might merge Green Libraries in ALA Connect into our SustainRT community.

During Fossils fuel resolution someone mentioned why don't we stop coming to midwinter too? Can we have Skype or chat while meeting virtually, how does ALA feel about it? Or webcast the meeting for people to listen but not necessarily be able to participate. Fred suggested emulating RUSA for virtual meetings.

To have Internet at ALA conference costs about $400 (Leighann) so maybe bring hotspot, and your own laptop (Fred). Poster sessions at membership booth would be great.

Webinars and Planning for ALA 2014 ideas so far include lightning talks or a panel about library sustainability projects; hands-on workshop for creating a Sustainability Action Plan for your institution; sponsor speaker Mandy Henk.

Water program sponsor with ALA/ACRL Law and Political Science Section (LPSS)! More talk on this program but we would be interested in sponsoring.

(Fred suggested) Debbie Balsamo, EPA in Triangle Park? Maybe talk about this topic as a discussion? Or a visit and tour of the EPA’s library? Fred had been on a tour at another event.

Can we incorporate United Nations’ Decade of Sustainable Development, US partnership (Terry is a fellow with them)? Ends in 2015.

Those in higher ed, collaborate with AASHE? Get libraries more involved. Get your institution involved.

Metrics on corporate responsibility (Fred).

Add in better foods aspect, yoga sessions, walks, meditation room while at ALA (Carrie).

Birding session at a past conference.

Look at recycling and environmental aspects of the convention center (Melora).

Fred gives talks on Al Gore’s climate change talk and could again -webinar?

Unity college president would possibly do a webinar, the first college to eliminate fossil fuels! (Melora)

Panel with school librarian, public librarian, academic librarian and more?

Libraries Build Sustainable Communities part 2 (Fred suggests)

Sustainable thinking in libraries, community support looking at financial aspect.

Sustainable showcase-how we did what we did with various librarians and example. (Carrie)

GODORT session, like conference sponsored by Iowa GODORT on how to get government resources for your sustainability projects. (Mara) http://www.iowalibraryassociation.org/images/subdivisions/GODART/agenda_godort2011.pdf

Planning for ACRL 2015 in Portland OR (theme is Building Sustainable Communities) Beth encouraged people to join planning committees. Contact conference planning chair Lori Goetsch at lgoetsch@k-state.edu . Beth and Madeleine Charney of UMass are already co-chairing Innovations and Workshops respectively.

Website content and design - What information/features to include. What else? What other positions should the group have?

There are many leadership opportunities here! Some SustainRT founding members already have roles in other sections and want to participate but not serve in an official leadership capacity. Please step up if interested!

Carrie would be interested in serving as webmaster.

Melora Norman will create a Facebook group for us (and help with composing bylaws), can serve as social media coordinator.

Discussion of titles within SustainRT, should leaders be called “chair” or “coordinator?”

Local arrangements coordinator is helpful in location city for conferences.

We could use a program coordinator for planning sessions at ALA and elsewhere.

Have liaisons to other groups in ALA, be a part of ALA Round Table Assembly, cross pollination.

Reach out to library schools to get them involved, gophers, write up, website, run webinars, and maybe possibly sponsor one to a conference one day.

Write up for SRRT newsletter with all our communication. Mara will submit for their next one.

Membership Options fair - we will be able to participate in this once we get membership.

As of September people can join our Round Table via ALA membership or renewal.

Q&A with Michelle of ALA. She’d recommend clearly defining goals, it is Important to get a good succinct message, elevator speech, same message for us all to give out, maybe a small business card handout with our info. Partner with other groups in programming for conferences. Emulate IFRT.

PAC for librarians “Every Library

Motion that the organizers of SustainRT to support the fossils fuel resolution by Melora, second by Mara, all voted in favor!

-----------------------------------------

Minutes respectfully submitted by Mara Egherman eghermanm@central.edu .

More...

Picture Beth, Ashley and Mara at Chicago Riverwalk

by Mara Egherman on Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:33 am

Event ALA Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT) Events at ALA Chicago!

by Beth Filar-Williams on Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:48 am

ALA Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT) Events at ALA Chicago!

ALA Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT) Events at ALA Chicago!

  • We need your ideas! Please join us for the first meeting of ALA's newest roundtable - SustainRT! Learn about current plans and share your expertise and experiences to help define the strategic direction and engagement of this roundtable. Everyone is invited.

WhereHyatt Regency McCormick Place (Prairie Room A)
When:   Monday, July 1, 2013 - 8:30am to 10:00am
Detailshttp://ala13.ala.org/node/11302

  • Join members of SustainRT for an unofficial event at ALA  as we take a stroll along the Chicago RiverWalk on Sunday June 30 meeting up by 2:45pm at the corner of East Upper Wacker Drive / North Michigan Avenue (SEE PHOTO!). We plan to walk about an hour, heading east toward Lake Michigan, then travel south along Lakefront Trail. At East Monroe, walkers can either turn back, keep going,  or turn west back into town toward the Palmer Hilton Hotel. (about 1.5 mile) depending on where you are headed next! Contact Beth (efwilli3@uncg.edu) to RSVP or questions!

 

The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) invites the exchange of ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society. The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design.

More...

Event SustainRT: Culture Trail Walk & Green Drinks Meet Up @ACRL2013

by Beth Filar-Williams on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 07:51 am
Visit Facebook to sign up! https://www.facebook.com/events/573272162692643/
 
 

This is sponsored by the NEW round table of ALA - SustainRT!http://connect.ala.org/node/194336#

Calling all libraries (not just academics but any local librarian community interested in joining us!) who have interest in sustainability for Cultural Trail Walk and/or Green Drinks. Chat with other like minded librarians while we take a walk along the beautiful Indianapolis Cultural Trail (map: http://www.indyculturaltrail.org/map.html) - the Canal Walk route, toward the Central Library. We plan a 30+ minute walk toward the north end, followed by a Green Drinks at a local place The Rathskeller

When: Friday April 12 at 5:15pm.

Cultural Trail Walk Meetup: corner of Washington St and Capital Ave, on the lawn of the Capital by the trail (http://www.indyculturaltrail.org/map.html)

Green Drinks Meetup: by 6pm at Rathsekller http://rathskeller.com/
401 E. Michigan St.

(shout out to Joe Fox, Indy Public Librarian, for his help in organizing this event!)

Questions? Contact beth (efwilli3 [at] uncg.edu)

Thanks to all who come out in the windy cold for the beautiful hike and good conversations! Thanks to Susan Sharpless Smith for sharing her photo from the walk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cellphonesusie/8645622906/in/set-72157633208445859/

More...

Online Doc What is SustainRT?

by Madeleine Charney on Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 01:23 pm

The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) is the newest professional forum within the American Library Association.   The motion to create a sustainability round table was passed unanimously by ALA Council at Midwinter 2013 in Seattle.

 

The ALA Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT) is the newest professional forum within the American Library Association.   The motion to create a sustainability round table was passed unanimously by ALA Council at Midwinter 2013 in Seattle.

 

SustainRT was created as a venue in which members exchange ideas and opportunities regarding sustainability in order to move toward a more equitable, healthy and economically viable society.   The mission of the organization is to provide resources for the library community to support sustainability through curriculum development; collections; exhibits; events; advocacy, communication, library buildings and space design.  SustainRT is open to all ALA members and will include both individual members and organizational members. An interim Steering Committee is in the process of creating by-laws. For more information, go to ALA Connect http://connect.ala.org/node/194336#.

 

More...

Pages

This space will be used initially to develop a mission statement for a potential new Sustainability Round Table and language for an e-petition as well. In the future it will be a working space for activities of this Round Table.

Subscribe to Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)