Syndicate content

FDLP Issues Within ALA Community

View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion Reflections On Issues Facing the Depository Library Community

by James Jacobs on Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hi all, Thought you might be interested in this recent govdoc-l thread about large issues facing the depository library community. Jim Jacobs' reflections were brought on by a post by an MLIS student. Attached is Jim's comment. You can also get it from the Govdoc-l archive.

Discussion Agenda for the joint GIS / GODORT Leg. meeting on Saturday at 1:30pm

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:23 am

For any who are interested, Mary Alice Baish, Superintendent of Documents will be providing an update on GPO during this meeting. The meeting is on Saturday, January 21st from 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. in the Dallas Convention Center room D166.

Discussion What's the FDLP schedule at MW?

by James Jacobs on Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi all. On the ALA page dedicated to the FDLP, several meetings are noted. Can someone post the actual dates and times of those various meetings? The ALA Conference scheduler comes up 0 when searching for FDLP.

Hi all. On the ALA page dedicated to the FDLP, several meetings are noted. Can someone post the actual dates and times of those various meetings? The ALA Conference scheduler comes up 0 when searching for FDLP.

Various units expected to have discussions about FDLP issues. COL will have at least 3-4 scheduled FDLP discussions including meetings of Legislation Assembly. Additionally, one other meeting will provide for discussion of the two proposals (ASERL and Michigan/Minnesota and GPO responses). Another meeting will be dedicated to discussion of the future of the FDLP and how best for ALA to pursue this dialogue up to and including Annual 2012. Other venues and times would be encouraged in all interested units. If other meeting times/spaces are needed the ALA Office of Government Relations seek to find such opportunities.

More...

Discussion Superintendent of Document's thoughts from the FDLP Fall Council Meeting

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

For those of you that do not subscribe to the Government Printing Office's news letter, FDLP Connection, you can read the Superintendent of Document's latest post here.  She provides a short review of the FDLP Council meeting from her perspective.

Discussion Participate in the Shared Vision for the Future of the FDLP - an additional resource

by John Stevenson on Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:59 am

On October 20, 2011, following the Depository Library Council Meeting and Federal Depository Library Conference, a dialog was started about an outcomes-based, collaborative process to reach agreement on the future of the Program.  Despite disagreements about the ability to designate a new regional library outside a state's borders, participants at the session seemed to find consensus regarding underlying principles of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP).

On October 20, 2011, following the Depository Library Council Meeting and Federal Depository Library Conference, a dialog was started about an outcomes-based, collaborative process to reach agreement on the future of the Program.  Despite disagreements about the ability to designate a new regional library outside a state's borders, participants at the session seemed to find consensus regarding underlying principles of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP).

Based on that session, GPO posted background information and related documents to a "Shared Vision for the Future of the FDLP" page.  A message posted to GPO's FDLP email list and the FDLP Desktop asks librarians for their participation to identify and document the most pressing FDLP related issues in their states through the development of a State Forecast and State Focused Action Plan, and notes that "this feedback will be consulted in critical decision making about the future of the FDLP."  ALA's Federal Depository Library Program page should include a link to the Shared Vision page.

More...

Discussion COL's Proposed Discussion Process

by Jessica McGilvray (staff) on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

Eva Poole, COL Chair November 4, 2011 letter

Proposed timeline for ALA discussions

The following timeline is offered as a starting point for interested ALA units and members to become involved in a process to discuss issues related to “ALA and the Future of the FDLP.” This timeline should be used as a preliminary set of activities with various units of ALA scheduling and sharing additional meeting times, materials, and perspectives.

November 7, 2011: New ALA web page, established to provide one public virtual space to post all documents and official materials related to the two recent proposals. “Opinion” pieces will not be on these pages.

November 8, 2011: To promote as much discussion and exchange of opinions before Midwinter 2012, a virtual discussion location will be created in ALA Connect to encourage discussion of the issues. Notices to be sent to all ALA units. Opinions and information from all perspectives, including GPO and ALA units and individuals will be promoted.

November 10, 2011, up to Midwinter 2012: Maintain ongoing virtual discussions and update the online materials leading up to Midwinter 2012.

January 20-23, 2012:  Various units expected to have discussions about FDLP issues. COL will have at least 3-4 scheduled FDLP discussions including meetings of Legislation Assembly. Additionally, one other meeting will provide for discussion of the two proposals (ASERL and Michigan/Minnesota and GPO responses). Another meeting will be dedicated to discussion of the future of the FDLP and how best for ALA to pursue this dialogue up to and including Annual 2012. Other venues and times would be encouraged in all interested units. If other meeting times/spaces are needed the ALA Office of Government Relations seek to find such opportunities.

After Midwinter and thru Annual 2012: One outcome of Midwinter 2012 will hopefully be a sense of how to continue any virtual discussions between conferences and what types of meetings or programs would be useful at Annual 2012.

More...

Pages

 This community is being created in the hopes that ALA members from any interested unit or division will feel comfortable discussing the issues surrounding the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP). Please feel free to create discussion topics (under the Discussion tab) that you feel are needed to aid in the ALA reaching consensus on the future of the FDLP or at the very least, having a better understanding of the various perspectives held by members on these topics.

The ALA has created a webpage where various information related to this topic and the recent happenings surrounding this issue are available.  If you feel that there are any items missing from this list, please let us know! We want this compilation to be as inclusive as possible of official communication.  Contact jmcgilvray@alawash.org to make any suggestions.

Subscribe to FDLP Issues Within ALA