RUSA and Section Nominations Community
Hello RUSA Nominating Committee and RUSA Section Nominating Chairs,
The deadline to receive the RUSA and section slates of 2013 candidates is September 15, 2012.
Please feel free to share all the information below with your committee members. Feel free to let me know if you would like any other members of your committee added to the group in Connect. Most of the documents are public so they should be able to access them either way. If you notice that there is anyone I forgot to copy this message to, please let me know.
I’ve uploaded the documents below to Connect, the group for all RUSA‐level and Section nominating chairs. Whenever possible I made everything a public document to make it easier for the committee members to access them:
1. CURRENT RUSA MEMBERS AND CONTACT INFO: The lists of current RUSA and section members may be requested from Leighann Wood (email@example.com), the RUSA membership assistant, at any time. Just a reminder that she is part‐time and will respond when she is in the office.
2. ELECTION SCHEDULE: The 2013 election schedules for both RUSA‐level candidates and section candidates ‐ listing who needs to be elected and their terms for both sections and the division, are located here:
3. RESPONSIBILITIES OF DIVISION OFFICERS TO BE ELECTED:
a. Vice President/President‐elect: http://connect.ala.org/node/153425.
b. Directors‐at‐Large: http://connect.ala.org/node/182790
c. Secretary: http://connect.ala.org/node/182792
d. Division Councilor: http://connect.ala.org/node/182794
[Note to Section chairs: I assume you have descriptions of the responsibilities of your section officers; but if you don’t, it would be a good thing to have as you seek out candidates.]
4. NOMINATING COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES: Brief overview of what the nominating committees should do when candidates are identified (also attached): http://connect.ala.org/node/182781.
5. BIOGRAPHICAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR NOMINEES: Please give these instructions to all candidates identified for the 2013 Spring elections: http://connect.ala.org/node/182779. Let them know that the deadline is Dec. 1, 2012 and they will not get another chance to enter their biographical information.
6. ACCEPTANCES: Please make sure all candidates know they must send me (firstname.lastname@example.org) an acceptance email. Here are two examples:
I accept the nomination for the position of [name of position] for RUSA, for the term of [years of term].
August 1, 2012
I accept the nomination for the position of President‐Elect for RUSA, for the term of 2013‐2014.
Regional Adult Services Director,
Librarytown Public Library
222 Booklover Lane
Librarytown, IL 60640
7. FINDING CANDIDATES: It’s helpful to talk to past RUSA standing committee chairs and section committee chairs for possible suggestions for members who might stand for election. Looking at candidates who stood for past elections, but were not selected is also an excellent way to identify candidates. Here is the link to the rosters, with contact information for the chairs (you must login using your ALA login to see the contact information):
http://www.ala.org/rusa/contact/rosters. A new feature on the website lets you see the previous and next
committee roster, whenever that information is available. Leighann Wood can also provide you with lists of
current division and section members (see #1 above).
8. FINAL LISTING: When all candidates have been identified, please complete the attached template and send me the list of all your candidates (the template is also in Connect here: http://connect.ala.org/node/178237), by
September 15, 2012.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance.
Good luck and thank you all for your work on this!
Executive Director, ASCLA/RUSA
American Library Association
50 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (800) 545-2433 x4395
Direct: (312) 280-4395
Fax: (312) 280-5273