Syndicate content

GODORT (Government Documents Round Table) RoundTable

In: Government Documents, Government Documents Round Table (GODORT)
View:   Faces | List

Discussion Open Meeting Announcement - GODORT Publications Committee

by Valerie Glenn on Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 08:54 am

Hi all,

  The GODORT Publications Committee will be meeting on Tuesday, August 4th at 12 pm Eastern. Agenda and connection instructions are below. Please feel free to contact me with comments or questions. Thanks!

 

Hi all,

  The GODORT Publications Committee will be meeting on Tuesday, August 4th at 12 pm Eastern. Agenda and connection instructions are below. Please feel free to contact me with comments or questions. Thanks!

 

GODORT Publications Committee

August 4, 2015

12:00 PM Eastern

Agenda

  1. Welcome and Introductions

  2. Volunteer for note-taking

  3. Announcements

  4. DttP Update

  5. Notable Docs Update

  6. Planning for the year ahead

    1. PPM review

    2. GODORT reorganization and planning conversations

 

Connection instructions:

To join via Phone:

1) Dial:

 

+1 408 740 7256

 

+1 888 240 2560(US Toll Free)

 

+1 408 317 9253(Alternate Number)

 

(see all numbers - http://bluejeans.com/numbers)

 

2) Enter Conference ID: 576513652

 

 

To join the Meeting:

https://bluejeans.com/576513652

   

To join via Browser:

https://bluejeans.com/576513652/browser

   

To join with Lync:

https://bluejeans.com/576513652/lync

 

More...

Discussion Open Meeting Announcement--IDTF in SF

by Stephanie Braunstein on Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 09:26 am

Please join us for what we think will be an informational and exciting meeting of the International Documents Task Force during Annual.  As you look at the agenda below, note that we will be having special guests from the UN.  Maritina Paniagua, Outreach and Professional Development, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will update us on the United Nations Depository Library Programme (yes, there are 2 "m's" and an "e" in that word); and Ann Paprocki, Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will do a presentation concerning the 70th Anniversary of the UN.  Get there early--there might even be treats to h

Please join us for what we think will be an informational and exciting meeting of the International Documents Task Force during Annual.  As you look at the agenda below, note that we will be having special guests from the UN.  Maritina Paniagua, Outreach and Professional Development, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will update us on the United Nations Depository Library Programme (yes, there are 2 "m's" and an "e" in that word); and Ann Paprocki, Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library, will do a presentation concerning the 70th Anniversary of the UN.  Get there early--there might even be treats to help celebrate that big "Seven-0" (anyone got any ideas for UN theme decorated cookies?).

Questions?  Answers?  Please contact me directly:

Stephanie Braunstein

225-578-7021

sbraunst@lsu.edu

 

GODORT International Documents Taskforce (IDTF) Meeting

ALA Annual 2015, San Francisco

4:30-5:30pm, Sunday, June 28

Marriott Marquis (780 Mission Street, 415-896-1600)—Pacific Suite I

Meeting Agenda

I. Welcome and Introductions

a) Assign Note-taker

II. Approval of the Agenda

III. Approval of Midwinter 2015 Minutes (available in consolidated minutes, pgs. 11-12: http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/File:GODORT_2015_Midwinter_Consolidated_Committee_Minutes.pdf)

IV. Reports from Committee Liaisons

a) Education (Stephanie Martin)

b) Government Information to Kids (Susan Paterson)

c) IFLA and Publications (Jim Church)

d) Legislation (Brett Cloyd)

e) Programming (Melanie Sims)

f) Rare and Endangered Documents (Mary Mallory)

g) Cataloguing (Jeff Hartsell-Gundy)

V.  Update report on UNDL Programme and other new UN resources—Maritina Paniagua, Outreach and Professional Development, Dag Hammarskjöld Library

VI. Reports from other Vendors

VII. Presentation about online exhibit celebrating 70th Anniversary of the UN—Ann Paprocki, Librarian, Dag Hammarskjöld Library

VIII. Any other business?

IX. Adjournment

 

 

More...

Discussion Opinions Needed! -- State and Local Documents Task Force

by Samantha Hager on Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 02:45 pm

Help guide the direction of the State and Local Documents Task Force!
 
The task force held a virtual brainstorming session on June 16 to build a list of possible projects or actions to focus on in the next five years.
Please vote on which 5 projects/tasks we should pursue through this online survey:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SLDTF_future
 
The survey will close Friday July 17th.
 
Proposed Actions:

Help guide the direction of the State and Local Documents Task Force!
 
The task force held a virtual brainstorming session on June 16 to build a list of possible projects or actions to focus on in the next five years.
Please vote on which 5 projects/tasks we should pursue through this online survey:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SLDTF_future
 
The survey will close Friday July 17th.
 
Proposed Actions:

  • Have representatives for state and local at other ALA wide meetings like GIS and LEG and Leg. Assembly to promote state and local
  • Update projects listed on the wiki page
  • Identify opportunities and support some of the legislative work being done by state library associations
  • Connect with the e-gov subcommittee of LEG for webinar possibilities
  • More virtual meetings during the year focused on specific issues like managing born digital materials/produce more webinars focused on state and local issues
  • Create a list of listservs related to state/local documents on the wiki
  • Create a listserv for state and local documents discussion
  • Identify organizations, inside or outside of ALA, who would be good partners
  • Identify who might have interests in state and local government information besides government documents librarians.
  • Hold a Summer Institute for State and Local Gov Info (something along the lines of the Winter Institute for Statistical Literacy for Librarians but for state and local gov info collection development, public service, etc.)
  • Sharing best practices through webinars – similar to Accidental Government Librarian series only specific to state and local
  • Find ways to encourage those who teach gov docs courses at LIS programs to include more on state and local
  • Identify webinar topics through needs assessment
  • Conduct a periodic survey of state documents programs throughout the country (what they are doing and problems they are having) and publish the results.

 

The more opinions we have, the better! If you are interested in state and local government information please take a moment to fill participate in the survey.
 
Samantha Hager
Colorado State Library
samantha.hager@hotmail.com

 

More...

Discussion Historical & GovDocs Sightseeing in San Francisco

by Rebecca Hyde on Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 09:51 am

Hello GODORT Members!

You may have already received the latest copy of DttP in your mail box, but if not, Lucia Orlando and I wanted to make sure you had a copy of our latest column before heading to ALA. We've highlighted some interesting historical and government related sights in San Francisco - some will be perfect if you're taking an extended vacation, but there are also a few you can squeeze in during an hour or so between meetings! Visit ALAConnect to download a full PDF of the article.
 
See you in San Francisco!
 
Rebecca

Discussion Ad Hoc Committee on GODORT Virtual Meetings Preliminary Report

by Shari Laster on Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:46 pm

The interim report of the virtual meetings committee is now available to view and download. Copies will be made available at Steering I and Membership. Questions and comments are welcome on ALA Connect or may be sent directly to the chair, Shari Laster, at slaster@library.ucsb.edu.

Discussion GODORT Ad Hoc Committee on Reorganization's Full Report

by Stephanie Braunstein on Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 05:55 pm

Please see the attached document for the full (with Appendices) preliminary report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Reorganization.  A more compact version will be brought to both Steering I and the General Membership Meeting. 

Enjoy!

 

 

Discussion Preserving Federal Information Panel Discussion

by Shari Laster on Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 04:52 pm

Rare & Endangered Government Publications Committee (REGP): Preserving Federal Information Panel Discussion
 

Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Location: Hilton – Sutter Room

Rare & Endangered Government Publications Committee (REGP): Preserving Federal Information Panel Discussion
 

Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Location: Hilton – Sutter Room

 
This hour-long panel and Q&A session will address a core component of the U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO)'s National Plan for Access to U.S. Government Information: the newly-launched Federal Information Preservation Network (FIPnet). 
 
On behalf of GPO, Cindy Etkin, Sr. Program Planning Specialist, and David Walls, Preservation Librarian, will share a brief overview of FIPnet. Robbie Sittel, Government Information Librarian at Eagle Commons Library, University of North Texas, will discuss current partnerships between UNT Libraries and GPO. Following the presentations, the floor will be open for questions, comments, and general discussion related to the preservation of federal government information.
 
Prior to the session, we suggest attendees review the brief overview of FIPnet available at: http://www.fdlp.gov/project-list/federal-information-preservation-network. For more information on the National Plan and FIPnet, see the presentation from the April 2015 Depository Library Council meeting: http://goo.gl/YRW5eG
 
The handouts for this session are attached to this ALA Connect post. A separate open meeting announcement for the REGP virtual business meeting will be posted shortly. 

EDITED TO ADD: An updated version of the National Plan Collections handout has been uploaded to this post. We have also learned that David will be unable to join us; Cindy will present on behalf of GPO.

More...

Online Doc GODORT Membership Meeting -- June 29, 2015

by Helen Sheehy on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 03:25 pm

Please join us

 

GODORT Membership Meeting
Monday, June 29, 2015
8:30 am 10:00 am
Moscone Convention Center – 236-238

Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
  2. Adoption of the Agenda
  3. Approval of the minutes from Midwinter 2015
  4. Treasurer’s Report
  5. GODORT Councilor’s Report
  6. Task Force Reports (action items only)
  7. Standing Committee Reports (action items only)

 

Please join us

 

GODORT Membership Meeting
Monday, June 29, 2015
8:30 am 10:00 am
Moscone Convention Center – 236-238

Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome and Introductions
  2. Adoption of the Agenda
  3. Approval of the minutes from Midwinter 2015
  4. Treasurer’s Report
  5. GODORT Councilor’s Report
  6. Task Force Reports (action items only)
  7. Standing Committee Reports (action items only)

 

  1. Liaison Reports (Freedom to Read, IFLA)
  2. Report from the Executive Board/BARC
  3. Old Business
    1. Report Ad Hoc Committee on GODORT Reorganization
    2. Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Virtual Meetings
    3. New Business
    4. Adjournment
More...

Online Doc GODORT Steering II meeting -- Agenda

by Helen Sheehy on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 03:22 pm

Please join us.

 

Steering Committee II—Agenda
Monday, June 29, 2015
3-4 p.m.
Moscone Convention Center – 111 (N)
Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

1. Welcome, Introductions

2.  Adoption of the Agenda

3.  Announcements

Please join us.

 

Steering Committee II—Agenda
Monday, June 29, 2015
3-4 p.m.
Moscone Convention Center – 111 (N)
Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

1. Welcome, Introductions

2.  Adoption of the Agenda

3.  Announcements

  • Deadline for submission of Annual meeting summaries for DttP
  • Deadline for submission of letters from the Chair (thank you letters for event sponsors and committee/task force speakers, etc.) to Helen Sheehy (hms2@psu.edu ) 5:00pm, Tuesday, July 28, 2015

4.  Treasurer’s Report

5. GODORT Councilor report

6.  Report from Executive Board and BARC

7. Task Forces/Committees (Chairs)

  • Action items from Task Forces / Committees

8. Old Business

9. New Business (Old steering retires, New Steering committee takes over)

11. Adjournment

More...

Online Doc GODORT Steering Committee I meeting -- Agenda

by Helen Sheehy on Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 03:14 pm

Please join us

GODORT Steering Committee I—Agenda

Friday June 26, 2015, 1-2:30
Marriott Marquis– Sierra Suite K
Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

1. Welcome, Introductions

2.  Adoption of the Agenda

3.  Approval of Minutes from 2015 Midwinter Steering I and II

4.  Announcements

Please join us

GODORT Steering Committee I—Agenda

Friday June 26, 2015, 1-2:30
Marriott Marquis– Sierra Suite K
Helen Sheehy, Chair
Linda Spiro, Secretary

 

1. Welcome, Introductions

2.  Adoption of the Agenda

3.  Approval of Minutes from 2015 Midwinter Steering I and II

4.  Announcements

  • GODORT Happy Hour.  Press Club, 20 Yerba Buena Lane.  4:30-6:30
  • GODORT Awards Ceremony and
  • Deadline for submission of meeting summaries for Membership meeting packet to Linda Spiro (lindas@rice.edu) 5:00pm, Sunday, June 28, 2015
  • Deadline for submission of Midwinter meeting summaries for DttP
  • Deadline for submission of thank you letters (for event sponsers and committee/task force speakers) to Helen Sheehy (hms2@psu.edu ) 5:00pm, Tuesday, July 28, 2015
  • Cancelling meetings and Open meeting policies

5.  Treasurer’s Report

6. GODORT Councilor report

7. Task Forces/Committees (Chairs)

  • Report only those items not on posted agendas

9. Old Business

  • Emerging Leaders proposal
  • Program Committee -- Preconference proposal
  • ACRL-LPSS working group on statistical sources (Shari Laster)
  • Ad Hoc Committees Reports
    • Reorganization
    • Virtual Meetings

10. New Business

  • LibGuides/LibAnswers
  • Committee Discussions – focus on the Committee mission and goals for the next 5 years

11. Adjournment

More...

Pages

The mission of the Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) is to (1) To provide a forum for discussion of problems, concerns, and for exchange of ideas by librarians working with government documents; (2) to provide a force for initiating and supporting programs to increase availability, use, and bibliographic control of documents; (3) to increase communication between documents librarians and other librarians; (4) to contribute to the extension and improvement of education and training of documents librarians.

Learn more about GODORT on the ALA website.

Subscribe to GODORT (Government Documents Round Table)