Syndicate content

Interest Group and Committee Chairs (LITA) Community

In: LITA Interest Groups (Library & Information Technology Association), Leadership
View:   Faces | List

Discussion Imagineering IG Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2015

by Breanne Kirsch on Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 07:20 am

Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2015

  • There were 6 attendees.
  • The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a brief description of the Imagineering IG.
  • We discussed possible topics for future programs.
  • Future endeavors of the group were also discussed.

Discussion Game Making IG Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2015

by Breanne Kirsch on Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 07:18 am

Game Making Interest Group Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2015

  • There were about 12 attendees.
  • The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a short presentation on different ways to incorporate games into instruction and outreach.
  • Then attendees shared what game related projects they are working on at their institutions.
  • Future endeavors of the group were also discussed.

File LITA-Joint-Committee-and-IG-Chairs-Agenda

by Rachel Vacek on Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm

DOCX File, 79.6 KB

Discussion LITA Committee/IG Chairs Updates & Important Info: Program Planning Deadlines for 2015

by Mark A. Beatty (staff) on Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Midwinter Meeting & Annual Conference 2015

Annual Programs:
Submissions for this coming Annual Conference are closed.  

Proposal Deadline: September 2, 2014

Midwinter Meetings:

Submit your Midwinter meeting space requests and AV needs to Valerie Edmonds vedmonds@ala.org no later than September 29, 2014

Midwinter Meeting & Annual Conference 2015

Annual Programs:
Submissions for this coming Annual Conference are closed.  

Proposal Deadline: September 2, 2014

Midwinter Meetings:

Submit your Midwinter meeting space requests and AV needs to Valerie Edmonds vedmonds@ala.org no later than September 29, 2014

Program Development Opportunities:

Annual programs can make great LITA web education. Contact Mark Beatty mbeatty@ala.org if you’re interested in coordinating a LITA Webinar or Web Course. 

Submitting Committee and IG reports:

Please post your Committee and Interest Group reports to the Interest Group and Committee Chairs Community on ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/107572

Please make your post public so that the entire membership can access it.

Important Contacts: 

 


 

LITA Committee and Interest Group Chairs Program Planning Calendar: Midwinter and Annual 2015

JULY/AUGUST

Submit program proposals for Annual 2015

SEPTEMBER

Send Midwinter meeting request to Valerie Edmonds (vedmonds@ala.org); include time, date, room set-up, and AV by September 29

OCTOBER

Notification of Annual proposal approval; initial program descriptions due to Mark Beatty (mbeatty@ala.org)

First round changes to the Midwinter schedule are due to Valerie Edmonds (vedmonds@ala.org) by October 6

Changes to Midwinter AV requests sent to Valerie Edmonds (vedmonds@ala.org) by October 6

NOVEMBER

** Changes to Midwinter AV Requests will not be accommodated October 6**

Draft schedule of Midwinter meetings with room assignments will be posted.

First request for Annual meeting space and AV needs from Valerie Edmonds

JANUARY

ALA Midwinter, Chicago IL: January 30 - February 3, 2015

FEBRUARY

February 6:

  • Final changes to Annual Conference program descriptions and speaker names due to LITA Office
  • Final deadline for Annual meeting space requests or changes due to LITA Office
  • Final deadline to request additional AV for programs and meeting
  • Information pertaining to meetings to Valerie Edmonds (vedmonds@ala.org)
  • Information pertaining to programs to Mark Beatty (mbeatty@ala.org)

MARCH

**Changes to AV Requests will not be accommodated after February 25**

APRIL/MAY

Schedule of Annual Conference meetings/programs with room assignments will be posted; online event scheduler will be available

JUNE

ALA Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA: June 25 - 30, 2015

More...

Online Doc The SEO Interest Group Report Annual 2014

by Erin Rushton on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:11 pm

The SEO Interest Group met Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:30am to 11:30am at the Flamingo Hotel.  

There were four attendees.  

The meeting began with a presentation by Sharon Shafer (UCLA) on optimizing LibGuides.  Attendees then spent the rest of the meeting discussing optimization efforts at their own libraries and organizations (one attendee was from OCLC).  

The SEO Interest Group met Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:30am to 11:30am at the Flamingo Hotel.  

There were four attendees.  

The meeting began with a presentation by Sharon Shafer (UCLA) on optimizing LibGuides.  Attendees then spent the rest of the meeting discussing optimization efforts at their own libraries and organizations (one attendee was from OCLC).  

Attendance was sparse at the meeting due to the location (we were a few kms away from the conference centre) and the fact that the meeting was scheduled at the same time as several other LITA programmes.  

Attendees agreed that it might be useful to hold an online meeting later this summer for individuals who expressed an interest in attending the meeting but were unable (at least 51 according to the ALA Conference Schedule)      

 

 

More...

Discussion Authority Control Interest Group, ALA Annual 2014 (Las Vegas)

by Christina Hennessey on Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm

The LITA/ALCTS Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Program was held at ALA Annual in Las Vegas on Sunday, June 29 from 1pm-3pm. About 100 folks were in attendance. The ACIG meeting had four presentations with four speakers, with the presentations lasting a little over two hours. The speakers were:

The LITA/ALCTS Authority Control Interest Group (ACIG) Program was held at ALA Annual in Las Vegas on Sunday, June 29 from 1pm-3pm. About 100 folks were in attendance. The ACIG meeting had four presentations with four speakers, with the presentations lasting a little over two hours. The speakers were:

Janis L. Young (Senior Cataloging Policy Specialist, Policy and Standards Division (PSD)) gave her regular semi-annual report from Library of Congress, including updates on authorities projects, staffing changes at Library of Congress, and updates to tables and documentation. She addressed the BIBFRAME Editor project, changes to RDA toolkit documentation, specific upcoming changes (e.g. Cape Verde->Cabo Verde), updates on the treatment of fictitious characters and on genre/form projects, particularly the LCMPT and LCDGT projects.

In February 2014 the Library of Congress launched a new vocabulary, the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music (LCMPT). Hermine Vermeij (Team Leader, Subject Specialists Catalogers at UCLA and past chair of the Music Library Association Subject Access Subcommittee) discussed the vocabulary and why it was needed, its history, and its potential to change the way we catalog and discover music. She demonstrated how to use it with several examples and explained what areas of the vocabulary and its application are still in flux, and plans for the future.

Christy Crowl (Founder/Project Director, ProMusicDB), presented recent developments regarding the ProMusicDB.org project, the ProMusicDB ID and its intent to assist librarians in correctly identifying music performers, and have available the first draft of the ProMusicDB.org white paper. An introduction to ProMusicDB was published by Kimmy Szeto  in the March 2014 edition of the Journal of E-Resources Librarianship entitled: "Introducing ProMusicDB: A Professional Music Credits Management System”. Christy showed a demo of the project, why it is needed, showed an example of the credits and metadata of Quincy Jones, and how to create the ProMusicDB ID for a performer and event. Christy would welcome feedback on the ID and the project at christy@promusicdb.org.

Gary Strawn (Authorities Librarian, Northwestern University) is the chair of a PCC task force that will define and prepare an RDA 'Phase 3' for the LC/NACO Authority File. The primary job to be done is the re-coding of most of the remaining AACR2 authority records (numbering in the millions) as RDA. Other tasks to be accomplished as part of the project include: the addition of ISNIs, changes to music medium of performance (subfield $m), changes to relator terms, elimination of pre-RDA 378 fields, and the re-categorization of texts in subfield $c of personal names. All changed records will receive additional fields (046 for personal names, for example) when possible. Examples of each task and the needed solutions and work were shared. Gary had suggestions for additional clean-up projects (e.g. adding death dates to headings) and solicited volunteers to help review preliminary results (e.g. review of the results of auto-generation of 046 field).

A Q&A followed each of the presentations. All presentations are available now at ALA Connect in the Authority Control Interest Group Community: http://connect.ala.org/node/65335.

There was a one-hour open business meeting after the presentations from 3pm-4pm for board members and anyone else that wanted to attend. Scott Piepenburg (Head of Cataloging, Odum Library – Valdosta State University) was named as the new incoming vice-chair, and two new members-at-large were named. The Web Chair position was eliminated as those duties are taken care of by other folks in the use of ALA Connect for all our web work. Also discussed at the meeting were possible topics and speakers for the ALA Midwinter program in Chicago in 2015, the upcoming renewal of the group by LITA, reports from the chair on attending the LITA Chairs meeting and Open House, why the group is connected to both ALCTS + LITA, and possible projects that the group can contribute to outside of presenting programs at ALA conferences (e.g. contributing to Gary Strawn’s Phase 3 project).

More...

Discussion Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

by Breanne Kirsch on Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

  • There were 7 attendees.
  • The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a short introduction on the Imagineering IG, including about the new blog: http://scifiandbeyond.org.
  • We discussed topics for possible future programs at Annual and decided on the following topic: Technoculture: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Technology.
  • Future endeavors of the group were also discussed including a future webinar about apps that support science fiction and fantasy and evaluating what’s already out there. Thomas Allen and Cara Kinsey will do some research on this idea.
  • We also discussed possibilities for LITA’s 50th Anniversary in a couple of years and nearing the IIG’s 25th Anniversary. We discussed possibilities of covering favorite authors from the past with a retrospective look at how science fiction and fantasy have changes or looking at science fiction and fantasy for children and what is next with the genres. The topic of world-building was also discussed.
  • Thomas Allen agreed to become the Vice-Chair for next year and Breanne Kirsch will continue on as Chair.
  • Finally, the program for annual was discussed: Science Fiction and Fantasy: Redefining Humans from the Past to the Future, held on Saturday, June 28, 2014 from 4:30-5:30pm with Terry Goodkind, Douglas Preston, V. E. Schwab, Wen Spencer, and Jo Walton. There were at least 170 attendees and an author signing at the end of the program.

 

More...

Discussion Game Making Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

by Breanne Kirsch on Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Game Making Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

Game Making Interest Group Meeting, ALA Annual 2014

  • The Game Making Interest Group had a successful meeting with 27 attendees at the 2014 ALA Annual Conference.
  • The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a short presentation on the Game Making Interest Group.
  • 6 lightning presentations were given by authors of the book: Games in Libraries: Essays on Using Play to Connect and Instruct, edited by Breanne Kirsch.
    • Mary Broussard- Knowing when to create a library game and best practices for game design
    • Andrew Battista- Overview on gamification and badges
    • Virginia Alexander and Bree Kirsch- Transfer student Agoge IL game
    • Heath Ward- Physical games related to literature, including a Marshmallow Gun War: Hunger Games Edition
    • Jason Battles- ARGs in the library
    • Bohyun Kim- Educational games in medicine and healthcare and the role libraries can have in educational games
    • Slides will be made available on the wiki: http://gamemakinginterestgroup.wikispaces.com/.
  • After the lightning presentations, an open discussion about how the attendees are using games in their libraries occurred.
  • Two copies of the book were raffled off at the end of the meeting.
  • Dan Maxwell agreed to be the Vice-Chair for the group this year.
  • Future endeavors of the group were also discussed. 
  • If you have questions or comments, feel free to e-mail Breanne Kirsch, the current Chair at bkirsch@uscupstate.edu.
More...

Discussion LITA Joint Committee and IG Chairs Agenda Annual Conference 2014

by Michelle Frisque on Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:24 pm

LITA Joint Committee and IG Chairs Agenda

ALA Annual Meeting

Saturday, June 28

Meeting 8:30-10:00

Las Vegas Convention Center

Exhibit Hall Mtg Room A

 

LITA Joint Committee and IG Chairs Agenda

ALA Annual Meeting

Saturday, June 28

Meeting 8:30-10:00

Las Vegas Convention Center

Exhibit Hall Mtg Room A

 

1. Introductions – all (10 minutes)

2. President Update - Cindi Trainor Blyberg 

3. Vice President Update – Rachel Vacek

4. Executive Director Update - Mary Taylor

5. LITA Staff Announcements

6. Rachel Vacek 

A) Vice-chair update

B) Overview of the upcoming year

7. Bylaws Update - Jason Griffey (5 minutes)

8. Web Committee Update - Margaret Heller  (3 minutes)

9. Round table update: What would you like to share - All

10. Finalize the Communications Calendar - Paul (10 Minutes)

11. Membership Survey Planning - Evviva Weinraub and Paul Keith (20 minutes)

12. Wrap up (10 minutes)

 

More...

Discussion Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2014

by Breanne Kirsch on Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 01:49 pm

Imagineering Interest Group Meeting, ALA Midwinter 2014

  • There were 8 attendees.
  • The Chair, Breanne Kirsch gave a short introduction on the Imagineering IG.
  • We discussed possible topics for the upcoming program at Annual and decided on the following topic: Redefining Humans from the Past to the Future.
  • Future endeavors of the group were also discussed including a group blog that will be headed by Frank Skornia.

Pages

Community space for current Chairs of LITA Interest Groups and Committees

Amanda L. Goodman's picture

This was the first in-person meeting for this IG. We formed in March with two chairs: Amanda L. Goodman and Ryan Claringbole.

Note: I'm waiting for clearance from ALA Connect to make a formal discussion post so I apologize for this comment with our notes.

  • 12 attendees
  • The Chair, Amanda L. Goodman, gave an introduction to the back history of why this group was formed -- sparked by a discussion on the main LITA-listserv about the need for a 3D Printing IG.
  • Each attendee introduced themselves and what they wanted to learn/discuss within the confines of the group. 
  • Amanda and Co-Chair Ryan Claringbole brought up one of their goals of the group: to create a 3D printing resource for all librarians. The attendees agreed on this and a proposed format was decided upon: using the pre-existing list of things the listserv wanted in a resource, we would send out an email every two weeks and have a discussion on what resources to add to fill in those blanks. 
  • Attendees then asked and answered each other's questions. For example: 
    • Is there a market for good 3D scanners in public libraries?
    • Is anyone teaching classes on how to design 3D projects?
    • Is anyone offering as a service 3D modeling assistance and charging for the service?
    • How are you teaching people about 3D? 
    • Are you having any luck with resin-based printers?
    • Do you have policies regarding weapons or sex toy prints?
  • Should this group be more makerspace focused? The consensus was no, we have our hands full already. 
Subscribe to Interest Group and Committee Chairs (LITA)