Annual 2010: Table 4--Make room for metadata : moving beyond MARC for digital collections
Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group
ALA Annual Conference 2010
Make room for metadata : moving beyond MARC for digital collections
The questions listed below are simply suggestions for guiding and structuring your conversation. You needn’t feel compelled to use the list or to cover all of the questions. Don’t hesitate to consider other, better questions that may come up during your conversation.
- How are you using metadata? How would you like to be using metadata?
- Should catalogers learn metadata standards? Do we need metadata specialists?
- Are LIS programs teaching metadata standards? Should they be?
- Where does your metadata “live”?
- What metadata standard(s) are you using? How did you decide that it was the best for your situation?
- Do we need to choose one, nation-wide standard for library metadata? Is there one out there already? What would the standard include?