Syndicate content

LITA Board of Directors Committee

In: Library and Information Technology Association (LITA) -- Governance
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

File 2016-Annual-LITA-Board-Meeting-Minutes-Draft

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 04:19 pm

PDF File, 353.06 KB

File 2016-March-LITA-Board-Meeting-Minutes

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:19 am

PDF File, 416.9 KB

File 2016-May-LITA-Board-Meeting-Minutes

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 09:18 am

PDF File, 253.05 KB

Online Doc 2016 Annual Board Liaison Reports

by Aimee Fifarek on Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 07:08 pm

Board liaisons, please list three items highlighting the great work your groups have been doing since Midwinter.

50th Anniversary Task Force: ?

  •  
  •  
  •  

Assessment and Research: Andromeda Yelton

  •  
  •  
  •  

Awards and Scholarships: Aimee Fifarek

Board liaisons, please list three items highlighting the great work your groups have been doing since Midwinter.

50th Anniversary Task Force: ?

  •  
  •  
  •  

Assessment and Research: Andromeda Yelton

  •  
  •  
  •  

Awards and Scholarships: Aimee Fifarek

  • The 6 Award/Scholarship committee chairs all worked diligently to guide their committees through the decision making process.
  • Nearly all Award/Scholarship chairs are lined up for next year 
  • Need to come to a decision about future plans for the awards ceremony - the Board and staff did not have time to discuss and implement changes this year.

Communications and Marketing: Rachel Vacek

  • Finalized and promoted use of the CAM Promotion Request form (https://form.jotform.com/53476240612956), and so far it has been heavily used by many other Committees and IGs
  • CAM felt that they don't have the bandwidth to create or manage a LITA store at this time
  •  

Education Committee: Ken Varnum

  • Drafting and distributing the Education Committee's first-ever Call for Participation, followed by evaluating and selecting 23 program proposals. This was very successful, with almost entirely new-to-LITA-Education instructors. Also were able to hand off a couple of programs not right for us to other divisions, building relationships there.
  • Successful pilot and coming out of pilot for paying webinar speakers. Valuing our presenters, makes it easier to recruit, better equity.
  • Established a clear, documented, and repeatable process for developing programs
  • Programs we did this year that were notably well received: Privacy, Personal Digital Archiving (Melody is writing a book for LITA too now), good repeat of Yes You Can Video, Statistics at the Ref Desk

Financial Advisory Committee: Nancy Colyar

  •  Comparison of Forum registration pricing to other ALA divisions' and competitor conference pricing.
  •  Graphed results of Forum attendee surveys.
  •  Added percent of FY passed and percent of budget spent to LITA budget spreadsheet.

Forum 2016 Planning: Thomas Dowling

  •  
  •  
  •  

Forum Assessment Task Force: Ken Varnum

  • Organized ourselves and determined a course of action that we felt was manageable in the timeframe provided
  • Reviewed Forum membership data and collaborated with the Personas Task Force to begin identifying appropriate Forum attendee personae
  • Conducted a survey and gathered slightly more than 300 responses, mixed 50-50 between Forum attendees and non-attendees, from a wide cross-section of libraries and professions
  • Began analysis of survey and are starting to define areas where focus groups (volunteers solicited during survey) will provide more detailed information on topics of interest in coming months

IG & Committee Chair Coordinators: Rachel Vacek

  • David communicated with IGs on their renewals, ensuring they have a plan to keep their IGs running into the future
  • David began discussion with the LITA office and the President on an IG that shares membership with another division and is wanting to change some policies.
  • Both David and Lauren have an agenda ready for the Joint Chairs meeting on Saturday morning.

Membership Development Committee: Susan Sharpless Smith

  •  Launch of the new #LITAchat Twitter discussions on tech topics
  • Attempts to work with Forum Planning Committee to have more coordinated membership engagement at all conferences
  • Planning ALA Open House & Happy Hour & offering input for LITA representation in ALA Lounge materials

Personas Task Force: Bohyun Kim

  •  
  •  
  •  

Program Planning Committee: Ranti Junus

  • Finalized the program and schedule (later on, ALA changed the location and schedule of several programs so PPC worked on the presenters to inform the changes. Also reached out to the presenters re. cancelled pre-conferences.) 
  •  Co-sponsor LITA vs PARS Debate (Preservation and Reformatting Section from ALCTS)
  •  Divvied up for program sherpherding duties during ALA

Publications Committee: Jenny Reiswig

  •  
  •  

Top Technology Trends: Bohyun Kim

  •  
  •  
  •  

Web Coordinating Committee: Jenny Emanuel Taylor

  • Preparing for LITA Blog migration from LIShost to ALA servers.  The blog is also getting a responsive & accessible theme as well as https.
  • Brainstormed ideas for the main navigation of the LITA site, to be implemented once the new ALA templates are implemented.
  • Recommended a new WordPress theme for the 50th Anniversary TF and worked with Jenny L to set up a new WordPress install. 
  • Cleaned up LITA website to make sure all images have alt text and title values, to improve accessibility.
  • Chair and Vice Chair were guest experts at the #LITAChat on Twitter
  • Worked on setting up a multisite installation for the LITA Forum website, and are working to migrate the 2015 site to this installation.
  • Helped set up WordPress installs for the LITA Forum and LITA Jobs sites--still in process.
More...

Poll Do you approve the 2016 LITA Board Midwinter Meeting minutes posted at http://connect.ala.org/node/251706 ?

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:08 am
Yes, approve
100% (9 votes)
No, do not approve
0% (0 votes)
Abstain
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 9

File MW-16-Board-Meeting-Minutes

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:02 am

PDF File, 336.73 KB

Online Doc 2016 Midwinter Board Liaison Reports

by Ken Varnum on Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 09:05 am

Board liaisons, please list three items highlighting the great work your committee is doing.

Assessment and Research: Andromeda Yelton

  • is rebooting the membership survey that fell through the cracks last year
  • is excited about loaning members to the Forum and Personas TFs
  • wants to work on data-dashboard stuff, get things consolidated into one place so it's easier for us to find and use the information we know about ourself (in particular, they're going to work with Mark on his Education dashboard)

Awards and Scholarships: Aimee Fifarek

Board liaisons, please list three items highlighting the great work your committee is doing.

Assessment and Research: Andromeda Yelton

  • is rebooting the membership survey that fell through the cracks last year
  • is excited about loaning members to the Forum and Personas TFs
  • wants to work on data-dashboard stuff, get things consolidated into one place so it's easier for us to find and use the information we know about ourself (in particular, they're going to work with Mark on his Education dashboard)

Awards and Scholarships: Aimee Fifarek

  • The press release for LITA Awards was posted in October. 
  • There is no master timeline for managing award calls - Jenny is working on developing that this year.
  • Jenny Levine is now liaison to all Award Committees

Communications and Marketing: Rachel Vacek

  • Finalizing a webworm to gather needed news and events information and to serve as a workflow for redirecting requests to appropriate people for marketing
  • Writing a proposal and questions about the purpose, function, maintenance, and sustainability of a LITA Store – an online platform where current and prospective LITA members can purchase swag
  • Finalizing a style guide to provide consistency in tone, voice, and style across LITA’s virtual presence, communication channels, and within physical realms (paper handouts, signage, etc)
  • Preparing a regularly scheduled and LITA branded newsletter that highlights news, reminders about deadlines, call for proposals, announcements about events, education, etc.

Education Committee: Ken Varnum

  • Winter slate of presentations all lined up; all but 3 webinars are scheduled. 
  • Planning to update LITA Manual with LITA Education information.
  • Planning for continuing to pay webinar presenters; exploration of selling recordings of webinars. 

Financial Advisory Committee:  Nancy Colyar

  •  Orienting new chair and members
  •  Update charge
  •  Will work on financial analysis of recent Forums

Forum 2015 Planning:  Rachel Vacek

  •  
  •  
  •  

Forum 2016 Planning: Thomas Dowling

  •  
  •  

IG & Committee Chair Coordinators: Rachel Vacek

  •  
  •  
  •  

Membership Development Committee: Susan Sharpless Smith

  • Planning Midwinter, including use of ALA Lounge for promotion, Open House & Happy Hour
  • Planning Tweet facilitated tech chats, in coordination with education and communications, starting this spring (February start projected)
  • Looking forward to coordinating with Forum to have a consistent message to prospective members

Program Planning : Ranti Junus

  • Reviewed program proposals and worked on the scheduling with quite a number of constraints (speakers' own scheduling, making sure the program won't overlap with important LITA programs, etc.)
  • The entire program for the annual (18 programs and 3 preconferences) has been submitted. All the speakers, except the Imagineering program, are set and everything should be up to date at this point.
  • News from the ALA Program Planing:
    -- Possibility of recording some of ALA sessions for virtual attendees.
    -- Combine all poster sessions, regardless of the host, with the ALA poster session. This would allow to reach broader audience.
    -- Try to make sure all programs of a specific type (for example, diversity) are not held at the same time, and to identify where programs should be co-sponsored.

Publications: Jenny Reiswig

  • A good number of titles issued this year and in the pipeline with the Acquisitions Editor. 
  • The transition to the new publisher has surfaced a couple of issues for authors of books published under the old publisher. Specifically, the committee will talk to the Executive Director regarding guidance for authors who may want to get their copyrights back on books that were published under the previous publisher, and authors who want to issue an updated edition to an older book.
  • There are a few lingering communication issues: ITAL Editor reports should be going to Publications but past practice was to send them to Executive Director. Also some oddness with the mailing list which the Chair will resolve with Mark B. 
  • The Committee's meeting agenda for Midwinter is on Connect at http://connect.ala.org/node/249092

 Top Technology Trends: Bohyun Kim

  • The TTT committee made a lot of contacts with potential speakers to secure diverse speakers (although many weren't attending the MW conference.)
  • A list of those speakers now created for the upcoming Annual program.
  • Promotion of the TTT program in Twitter

Web Coordinating: Jenny Emanuel Taylor

  • Things have been a bit quiet because Jodie is on maternity leave and Kelly Sattler was made co-chair late in the fall. 
  • Completed projects include updating LITA staff listings on committee roster pages, updating the email lists page, and completing the Jobs Site. 
  • ALA IITS set up a multisite Wordpress install in December, will move Forum site to it
  • LITA Blog is moving to ALA hosting and will be a test site for ALA to implement SSL.  Brianna is also looking to possibly update the theme.

ALA Council: Aaron Dobbs

  • Advocacy Coordinating Group requests/encourages units to tie planning with Libraries Transform initiative (which initiative will be embraced & extended by the next president(s))
  • Accessibility Resolution has been rebuilt 3 times since start of #alamw16 it may or may not come up for action
  • See "ALA ED..." and "ALAWO..." attachments for more highlights
More...

File 2015-Fall-Board-Meeting-Minutes

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 08:51 pm

DOCX File, 27.07 KB

LITA educates, serves and reaches out to its members, other ALA members and divisions, and the entire library and information community through its publications, programs, and other activities designed to promote, develop, and aid in the implementation of library and information technology.

 

Subscribe to LITA Board of Directors