Syndicate content

LITA Interest Group and Committee Chairs Committee

In: LITA Interest Groups (Library & Information Technology Association), Leadership
View:   Faces | List

Online Doc Bylaws & Organization Committee Report

by Andrea Mullarkey (non-member) on Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 06:21 pm

Online Doc LITA meetings requests for ALA Annual - Orlando

by Mark A. Beatty (staff) on Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:09 am

LITA Committee and Interest Group Chairs

We've posted up a form for you to complete to request a meeting time slot at the upcoming 2016 ALA annual conference June 23 -28 in Orlando FL. Completing the form should take you less than 5 minutes. The deadline date for submitting your meeting space requirements and AV is:

Monday, February 15, 2016

Here's the link:

http://goo.gl/forms/wIwtiRj8Lp

LITA Committee and Interest Group Chairs

We've posted up a form for you to complete to request a meeting time slot at the upcoming 2016 ALA annual conference June 23 -28 in Orlando FL. Completing the form should take you less than 5 minutes. The deadline date for submitting your meeting space requirements and AV is:

Monday, February 15, 2016

Here's the link:

http://goo.gl/forms/wIwtiRj8Lp

Please note we’ll automatically schedule the usual Saturday morning all chairs meeting, followed by the all committees and interest groups meeting:
8:30 - 10:00 am LITA Joint Chairs Meeting
10:30 - 11:30 am LITA All Committees and Interest Groups Meeting
Interest Groups should tell me if you want specific inclusion in the Saturday 10:30 - 11:30 am listings.
Committees if you do NOT want to be included in this slot tell me.
Committees and Interest Groups wanting additional meetings fill out the form. Example uses wourld be:
Interest Group managed discussions and meetings
Committee meetings to meet members time constraints

We encourage all committees and interest groups to meet, discuss and share at Annual conference. To get on the schedule and get the set up you need you must submit the form. Remember the deadline is:

Monday February 15, 2016.

Thank you and see you in Orlando.
Mark Beatty, LITA Programs and Marketing Specialist, mbeatty@ala.org

More...

Online Doc LITA All Chairs ALA Midwinter 2016 meeting

by Mike Kastellec (non-member) on Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 04:31 pm

This is a general planning document, all dates are general, specific dates will be supplied as they become known to the LITA staff.
Please make sure you are signed up for the All Chairs elist: litachairs@lists.ala.org
to subscribe go to: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/litachairs

This is a general planning document, all dates are general, specific dates will be supplied as they become known to the LITA staff.
Please make sure you are signed up for the All Chairs elist: litachairs@lists.ala.org
to subscribe go to: http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/litachairs

ALA Annual Conference Programs
LITA is allotted 20 programs, including Top Tech Trends, LITA President’s program and the Imagineering authors program. LITA also usually holds 2 to 4 pre-conferences at both Annual and Midwinter. In addition we schedule Committee and IG meetings and IG discussion sessions, including the regular Saturday morning All Chairs and then All committees and IGs meetings in one very large room. The Call For Proposals (CFP) and program proposal online form, including pre-conferences, is made available and announced on LITA spaces such as lita-l, LITAblog etc.
CFP opens: ALA Annual, late June
CFP deadline: August 1st
Program submission date to ALA: September 1st
Pre-conference submission date to ALA: November 1st
Meeting submission ALA deadline: March 1st
AV requests for programs and meetings deadline: March 1st
Program final speaker roster and descriptions: March 1st

Midwinter Meetings
There are no programs at ALA midwinter. However we schedule Top Tech Trends under the ALA special programs category “News You Can Use”. All others are meetings and discussions hosted by committees and IGs. In addition we schedule Committee and IG meetings and IG discussion sessions, including the regular Saturday morning All chairs and then All committees and IGs meetings in one very large room. An online form for submitting your ALA Midwinter meeting space requests and AV needs will be created and announced.
Meetings submission deadline, September 15th
AV requests for programs and meetings deadline: September 15th
Pre-conference submission date to ALA: July 1st

LITA Forum
Held in a different region of the country each fall. Features 3 keynotes and between 40 and 80 various program sessions over 3 days. Also frequently includes 1-3 pre-conferences. Attendance runs 300+.
CFP opens: January 15th, timed to ALA Midwinter, varies widely
CFP deadline: March 1st
Registration opens: June 15th, timed to ALA Annual
Forum: Nov 10th

Continuing Education
Webinars and Web course can be held any time of year. Webinars are 60 to 90 minutes in length. Web courses are usually about 4 weeks at the rate of one “lesson” per week. Realistically in order to fit into planning, staffing and attendee schedules the two prime seasons are:
February through May
August through November
Currently we can run about 3-5 webinars and 1-2 web courses per season.

Submitting Committee and IG reports
Please post your Committee and Interest Group reports to the Interest Group and Committee Chairs Community on ALA Connect:
http://connect.ala.org/node/107572.
Please make your post public so that the entire membership can access it. Each Committee and IG has a web page on the LITA site. Regardless of where you post your report make sure you link to it from your web page. You can submit any and all web page additions and corrections to the Web Coordinating Committee Chair.

Important Contacts
Education Committee Chair: Abigail Goben abigailgoben@gmail.com
Incoming Education Committee Chair: Mike Kastellec mkastellec@gmail.com
Program Planning Committee Chair: Evviva Weinraub Lajoie evviva.weinraub@northwestern.edu
Web Coordinator/Web Committee Chair: Jodie Gambill jodie.gambill@gmail.com
LITA Forum Chair: Tammy Allgood Wolf Tammy.Allgood@asu.edu
LITA Staff: Jenny Levine, Executive Director jlevine@ala.org
Mark Beatty, LITA Programs and Marketing Specialist mbeatty@ala.org

Upcoming ALA conferences
2016 Midwinter Meeting, Boston, MA: January 8-12, 2016
Annual Conference, Orlando, FL: June 23-28, 2016
2017 Midwinter Meeting, Atlanta, GA: January 20-24, 2017
Annual Conference, Chicago, IL: June 22-27, 2017
2018 Midwinter Meeting, Denver, CO: February 9-13, 2018
Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA: June 21-26, 2018
2019 Midwinter Meeting, Seattle, WA: January 25-29, 2019
Annual Conference, DC: June 20-25, 2019
2020 Midwinter Meeting, Philadelphia, PA: January 17-21, 2020
Annual Conference, Chicago, IL: June 25-30, 2020

 

More...

Online Doc The SEO Interest Group Report Annual 2014

by Erin Rushton on Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:11 pm

The SEO Interest Group met Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:30am to 11:30am at the Flamingo Hotel.  

There were four attendees.  

The meeting began with a presentation by Sharon Shafer (UCLA) on optimizing LibGuides.  Attendees then spent the rest of the meeting discussing optimization efforts at their own libraries and organizations (one attendee was from OCLC).  

The SEO Interest Group met Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:30am to 11:30am at the Flamingo Hotel.  

There were four attendees.  

The meeting began with a presentation by Sharon Shafer (UCLA) on optimizing LibGuides.  Attendees then spent the rest of the meeting discussing optimization efforts at their own libraries and organizations (one attendee was from OCLC).  

Attendance was sparse at the meeting due to the location (we were a few kms away from the conference centre) and the fact that the meeting was scheduled at the same time as several other LITA programmes.  

Attendees agreed that it might be useful to hold an online meeting later this summer for individuals who expressed an interest in attending the meeting but were unable (at least 51 according to the ALA Conference Schedule)      

 

 

More...

Online Doc LITA Open Source Interest Group

by Victoria Teal Lovely on Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Chair for 2012/2013: Galen Charlton

The LITA Open Source Interest Group met at ALA Midwinter on Saturday, January 26. Approximately 10 people were in attendance.  Members present shared their experiences with open source in libraries, including open source integrated library systems and digitization software.

Chair for 2012/2013: Galen Charlton

The LITA Open Source Interest Group met at ALA Midwinter on Saturday, January 26. Approximately 10 people were in attendance.  Members present shared their experiences with open source in libraries, including open source integrated library systems and digitization software.

The Open Source Interest Group met at ALA in Chicago on June 29.  Again, approximately 10 people were in attendance.  The discussion revolved around the focus of this group. Should it be focused on open source integrated library systems, library-specific open source software or any open source product that might be used in libraries? The consensus was that it should not be limited at this time. The group also discussed possible ALA presentations.  Of interest is the experience of sponsoring development in the open source environment.  Sponsoring webinars is also desirable.  One suggested topic was what are the skills needed to evaluate and manage open source products? 

Respectfully submitted by Vicki Teal Lovely, incoming chair.

More...

Online Doc 2013 Forum Committee Report

by Jennifer E. Taylor on Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:56 am

Februrary 4, 2013

 

2013 LITA National Forum Report

Jenny Emanuel, Planning Committee Chair

 

Committee Members:

Anita Dryden, Margaret Heller, Brian Hickam, Weiling Liu, Eric Phetteplace, Susan Smith  (past chair), Ken Varnum, Megan Weeks, Andromeda Yelton

 

Februrary 4, 2013

 

2013 LITA National Forum Report

Jenny Emanuel, Planning Committee Chair

 

Committee Members:

Anita Dryden, Margaret Heller, Brian Hickam, Weiling Liu, Eric Phetteplace, Susan Smith  (past chair), Ken Varnum, Megan Weeks, Andromeda Yelton

 

Throughout the fall of 2012, the committee laid the groundwork for the 2013 National Forum, to be held in Louisville, Kentucky, on November 7-10, 2013.  The theme for the Forum is Creation, Collaboration, Community.

The committee wrote a call for proposals, which is available athttp://www.ala.org/lita/conferences/forum/2013.   The call was disseminated to a variety of sources. The committee is dedicated to reaching out to groups who may have never presented at the National Forum, including library school stduents and individuals from diverse backgrounds.  The initial call for presentations occurred in November and the committee plans an additional push in February.  Session proposals are due February 23, 2013.  The committee created a Google Form to gather proposals, similar to that used by the LITA Program Planning Committee.  Many presentations have already been submitted, and the committee is confident we will have a competitive pool.

As of the date of this report, two keynote speakers have been confirmed:  Travis Good from Make: Magazine and Nate Hill from the Chattanooga Public Library.  The committee is currently contacting a third keynote, keeping diversity in mind. 

The committee has an interest in maker spaces, and has reached to a local hackerspace community called LVL-1.  While we are not sure where they will fit into the program, we intend on either inviting them to do hands on demos or have a group of attendees travel to their space. 

This spring, the committee will meet virtually to evaluate proposals and frame the schedule for the Forum.  We will also help the LITA staff with recruiting sponsors for Forum, with the hope we will attract more sponsors than in the previous several years.  Finally, we are committed to streaming the conference keynotes and will work out logistics to make that happen.

 

More...

Online Doc Linked Library Data IG managed discussion & business meeting reports from Midwinter 2013

by Debra Shapiro on Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 02:11 pm

The Linked Data IG met during the LITA all-Committee session on Saturday, Jan 26. Co-chairs Debra Shapiro and Theo Gerontakos were present, and we were joined by two potential new members (one of whom was not currently a LITA member). We talked generally about what the group would like to do:

The Linked Data IG met during the LITA all-Committee session on Saturday, Jan 26. Co-chairs Debra Shapiro and Theo Gerontakos were present, and we were joined by two potential new members (one of whom was not currently a LITA member). We talked generally about what the group would like to do:

  • get space for a managed discussion at Annual in Chicago
  • organize a series of webinars on linked data (Shapiro is in negotiations with two possible instructors)
  • recruit a co-chair to replace Shapiro, who would like to step down after Annual

There is a general feeling that we are beyond the big conference program, "what is linked data" at this time and the ALA community is more interested in how to do it infor, such as the webinars, and BIBFRAME updates.

We adjourned after abut 20 minutes to attend the OCLC linked data roundtable program in the next room.

The IG also held a managed discusiosn on Sunday at 10:30 - the report from that session, by Theo Gerontakos, is attached.

respectfully submitted,

debra Shapiro, Feb 4, 2013

 

More...

Online Doc 2012 LITA National Forum Final Report

by Susan Smith on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 07:16 pm

January 23, 2013

2012 LITA National Forum Final Report

Susan Smith, Planning Committee Chair

The 2012 LITA National Forum was held in Columbus, Ohio from Thursday, October 4 through Sunday, October 7, 2012. The theme was New World of Data: Discover. Connect. Remix.

Committee

January 23, 2013

2012 LITA National Forum Final Report

Susan Smith, Planning Committee Chair

The 2012 LITA National Forum was held in Columbus, Ohio from Thursday, October 4 through Sunday, October 7, 2012. The theme was New World of Data: Discover. Connect. Remix.

Committee

Mark Baggett, Elizabeth Black, Robert Danford, Terese DeSimio, Anita Dryden, Mohamed El Ouirdi, Kathryn Frederick, Paul Keith (past chair), Regina Koury, Matthew Phillips, Frances Rice, Susan Smith (chair), Tina Walker, Jen Waller, and Hu Womack. 

Program

Formal Sessions: This year’s programming was modeled after the successful framework of the 2011 Forum. There were two preconferences held simultaneously Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.  Three keynotes speakers did presentations (Opening General Session, Saturday morning General Session and Closing General Session on Sunday. Beginning Friday afternoon seven concurrent sessions were held (2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday). Thirty-nine presentations were offered during the concurrent sessions. During a no-conflict 90 minute time slot (the last time slot on Saturday afternoon) 11 poster sessions were presented. One lightning round session was held during Concurrent Session 6.

Supplementary Programming: Networking dinners were planned for each evening Thursday through Saturday (2 on Thursday, 4 on Friday, 6 on Saturday). The Sponsor Showcase was held Friday after Concurrent Session 2. First time attendee orientation was held Friday, immediately following the first General Session. 

Notes

  • All three keynote speakers streamed live, recorded and stored on LITA’s UStream channel for later viewing at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/lita-forum
    • Final keynote speaker was unable to travel due to unforeseen health issues and delivered keynote virtually.
  • The Risky Business Contest was repeated (The committee decided to rename this to “Most Innovative Project” but marketing went out using the original name, so we stuck with it). We advertised a prize for the winning speaker (gave an iPod shuffle): Alexa Pearce, "Persona Most Grata: Invoking the User from Data to Design"
  • Conference photos are posted at http://www.flickr.com/groups/litapix/
  • Presentations are posted at http://connect.ala.org/litaforum?page=2&type=managed_file

Feedback from Debriefing Breakfast

Facilities

  • Room sizes were good (concurrent, general session)
  • Directional sign in lobby of hotel would help new arrivals to locate the conference space
  • AV people were good
  • Parking was good and affordable
  • Overall, Internet connectivity was good

Concurrent Sessions

  • Continue to work on best method to make sure that it is very clear that vendor-only proposals are not accepted  (must be paired with a librarian)
  • Travel support from many schools is sketchy, so we need to plan to accommodate changes after the acceptances are confirmed.
  • Need to include that any changes in speakers needs to be communicated.

Poster Sessions

  • The room size was good with plenty of space for posters and viewers
  • 90 minutes was a good amount of time (previously was 2 hours which was too long)

Breaks

  • Break following Saturday keynote was too short
  • Some felt there needed to be coffee available at all times during the day
  • Lack of seating in lobbies was issue inhibiting networking
  • Food was great, but people didn’t know what types of snacks to expect (especially following chocolate pretzels!)

Sponsors

  • Would like higher visibility, room location was not central and it took effort for people to seek them out
  • Suggestion to explore possibility of moving them out into hallway if the hotel layout would accommodate it.

Other

  • Networking dinners: the number held appeared OK, suggestion to add walking distance to restaurant in addition to walking time, price ranges and cuisine (on signup sheets)
  • Use interns as moderators
  • Have different badges for the committee and interns so they can be easily spotted by attendees
  • Include institutional affiliation or home city on name badges (has been done various ways before)
  • Have different badges for first time attendees to identify them more easily (ribbon?)
  • If the “Most Innovative Project” contest is to continue, arrange the prize ahead of time and locate a source of funding (was a scramble once it was realized that no donation was forthcoming. And the cost was underwritten personally by committee members)
  • Explore more immediate way to collect feedback (evaluations) on concurrent sessions (received about 90 evaluations following the conference)

 

More...

Online Doc Annual Conference 2012: Business meeting scheduling

by Lauren Ray (non-member) on Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:27 am

If you're planning to hold a business meeting at Annual Confernce, please use the table below to add your committee or interest group's preferred meeting time; add a comment to let us know your AV needs. Please note the "no conflict" times. We will also offer the option of a joint committee/IG meeting following the joint chair's meeting on Saturday morning, as we're doing at Midwinter. There is no limit to the number of meetings that can be held during the joint time slot, but please try to limit 4-5 meetings per other time slots.

If you're planning to hold a business meeting at Annual Confernce, please use the table below to add your committee or interest group's preferred meeting time; add a comment to let us know your AV needs. Please note the "no conflict" times. We will also offer the option of a joint committee/IG meeting following the joint chair's meeting on Saturday morning, as we're doing at Midwinter. There is no limit to the number of meetings that can be held during the joint time slot, but please try to limit 4-5 meetings per other time slots. NOTE: all meetings must be scheduled by February 6 and AV must be scheduled by February 24; we cannot accept changes or addtions after that date. Thanks! Please contact Valerie Edmonds or me if you have any questions.

 

Day

8:00-10:00 am

10:30-noon

1:30-3:30 pm

4:00-5:30

Friday

 

No conflict: board meeting

(Last Year Membership met 1-2:30 - wd like to do that again, but if not possible we will join in Joint session on Sat.

No conflict: opening general session and exhibits 

 

 

 

 

 

Saturday

Joint Chairs Meeing 8am-10am

 MARBI 1

BYLAWS

BYLAWS

 

Joint Committee/IG Meetings Option 9:30-11:30 am

Technology & Industry IG

10:30-noon

Publications

ERM IG

 

Distance Learning IG

Library CodeYear

Assessment & Research Comm -- need Internet connection

 

 

Web Coordinating Committee

International Relations Committee -- Internet connection

 

 

 

 

Sunday

 

 

No Conflict: Sunday

With LITA

MARBI 2

 

 Program Planning Committee

Game Making IG

 Mobile IG

Internet Resources and Service IG

 Imagineering IG

Linked Library Data IG

 

 

Monday

Accessibility IG

 

No conflict: board meeting

MARBI 3

 

MARC Formats IG

Library Consort. & Sys. IG

Search Engine Optimization IG

 

 

 

 

 

Day

8:00-10:00 am

10:30-noon

1:30-3:30 pm

4:00-5:30

Friday

 

No conflict: board meeting

No conflict: opening general session and exhibits 

 

 

 

 

 

Saturday

Joint meeting option

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday

8:30-10:30 am

10:30 am – 12:30 pm

No Conflict: Sunday

With LITA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Monday

 

 

No conflict: board meeting

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More...

Pages

Community space for current Chairs of LITA Interest Groups and Committees

Amanda L. Goodman's picture

This was the first in-person meeting for this IG. We formed in March with two chairs: Amanda L. Goodman and Ryan Claringbole.

Note: I'm waiting for clearance from ALA Connect to make a formal discussion post so I apologize for this comment with our notes.

  • 12 attendees
  • The Chair, Amanda L. Goodman, gave an introduction to the back history of why this group was formed -- sparked by a discussion on the main LITA-listserv about the need for a 3D Printing IG.
  • Each attendee introduced themselves and what they wanted to learn/discuss within the confines of the group. 
  • Amanda and Co-Chair Ryan Claringbole brought up one of their goals of the group: to create a 3D printing resource for all librarians. The attendees agreed on this and a proposed format was decided upon: using the pre-existing list of things the listserv wanted in a resource, we would send out an email every two weeks and have a discussion on what resources to add to fill in those blanks. 
  • Attendees then asked and answered each other's questions. For example: 
    • Is there a market for good 3D scanners in public libraries?
    • Is anyone teaching classes on how to design 3D projects?
    • Is anyone offering as a service 3D modeling assistance and charging for the service?
    • How are you teaching people about 3D? 
    • Are you having any luck with resin-based printers?
    • Do you have policies regarding weapons or sex toy prints?
  • Should this group be more makerspace focused? The consensus was no, we have our hands full already. 
Subscribe to LITA Interest Group and Committee Chairs