Warning message

ALA Connect User logins are disabled for a temporary "gray-out" period, to prevent new posts while we upgrade into the New Connect. This gray-out period will begin on March 26th, and the new site will be launched on April 25th.

Users can use Search to view public content. Logins will be reinstated and users can create new posts, upload files, etc. post launch.

Thank you for your patience in cooperation. Check out training resources and schedule at:
http://www.ala.org/support/alaconnect

Or contact Julianna Kloeppel for training or Pam Akins with questions/concerns.
Syndicate content

GODORT (Government Documents Round Table) RoundTable

In: Government Documents, Government Documents Round Table (GODORT)
View:   Faces | List
DiscussionsDiscussions
Discussions

Discussion ALA Connect gray-out

by Shari Laster on Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 07:40 pm

The ALA Connect gray-out will disrupt our usual communication channels; please check the GODORT wiki (http://wikis.ala.org/godort/index.php/Main_Page) for updates, or send questions & comments directly to me. 

ALA has indicated that they will create a temporary listserv for current GODORT members; if it happens, y'all will hear more from me. :-) 

Discussion GODORT Virtual Meeting: Title 44 Reform & H.R. 5305

by Shari Laster on Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 03:35 pm

Earlier this week, H.R. 5305 was introduced in Congress. The FDLP Modernization Act of 2018 would make changes to the Federal Depository Library Program and other GPO public access programs. 

Earlier this week, H.R. 5305 was introduced in Congress. The FDLP Modernization Act of 2018 would make changes to the Federal Depository Library Program and other GPO public access programs. 

ALA Washington Office has posted an H.R. 5305 overview, including the letter of support co-signed by ALA, AALL, and ARL [PDF]. A summary of key provisions, also from Washington Office, is attached to this post. 

GODORT will host a virtual meeting and discussion, open to all ALA members, about this legislation. The meeting will be recorded for those who are not able to attend. 

For questions about the meeting, or to request a link to the recording, please contact Shari Laster (shari@alumni.rice.edu). 

More...

Discussion Please sign petition to maintain ALA Civic & Community Engagement Group

by Rachel Dobkin on Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:34 am

Friends,

I, and several other GODORT members, are part of the "Libraries Foster Community" ALA Civic and Community Engagement Member Interest Group. Apparently, we need 100 ALA-member signatures to keep it active for 3 more years. Please add you name asap!

To sign, go to http://www.ala.org/CFApps/epetition/index.cfm Ignore the "options based on your member profile" and head to existing pertitions for member groups.

There are others to sign, too.

Thanks so much,

rd

---------

 

Friends,

I, and several other GODORT members, are part of the "Libraries Foster Community" ALA Civic and Community Engagement Member Interest Group. Apparently, we need 100 ALA-member signatures to keep it active for 3 more years. Please add you name asap!

To sign, go to http://www.ala.org/CFApps/epetition/index.cfm Ignore the "options based on your member profile" and head to existing pertitions for member groups.

There are others to sign, too.

Thanks so much,

rd

---------

 

Details from Nancy Kranich:

We’re close to half way to getting 100 signatures on an e-petition to reestablish our community of practice--Libraries Foster Community Engagement MIG--for another 3 years.  If you haven’t already signed, please click the link http://www.ala.org/CFApps/epetition/index.cfm

and sign the petition. Or try this link: http://www.ala.org/CFApps/epetition/index.cfm?pid=C2B8D0C313602602. If you’ve already signed, encourage your colleagues to do so.  Note, only ALA members can sign.

Many thanks for your help.  Please share widely.

Best,
Nancy

More...

Discussion Rare & Endangered Government Publications (REGP) meeting

by Shari Laster on Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:09 am

Posting on behalf of Aimee Slater and Susanne Caro:

Join us *today* at 1pm ET via Adobe Connect:
http://ala.adobeconnect.com/godort/
Call in information for those preferring telephone instead of computer
audio:
(844) 801-7777
Access code: 738241

Agenda

Posting on behalf of Aimee Slater and Susanne Caro:

Join us *today* at 1pm ET via Adobe Connect:
http://ala.adobeconnect.com/godort/
Call in information for those preferring telephone instead of computer
audio:
(844) 801-7777
Access code: 738241

Agenda

- Introduction
- Title 44 and its impact on REGP: will this result in more fugitives or
endangered content? GPO Comments on Title 44: https://www.fdlp.gov/news-and-events/3326-gpo-s-comments-on-draft-title-...
- ALA Midwinter handouts from GPO: https://www.fdlp.gov/news-and-events/2883-gpo-handouts-from-ala-s-midwin...
- Missing and moved documents: Business as Usual or Cause for Concern?
Recent story on Pentagon Spending that mentions disabled links: http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2017/msu-scholars-find-21-trillion-in-unaut...
- End of Term: Did more disappear than usual?
- Preservation issues state or federal
- In-person meeting at ALA Annual
- Any Other Business

More...

Discussion Government Information for Children (GIC) meeting

by Elizabeth Weisbrod on Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 04:10 pm

Government Information for Children (GIC) meeting

Date: February 10, 2018

Time: 8:30 am - 10:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, Room 710

For call-in information, please contact me at weisbel@auburn.edu.

Agenda

Government Information for Children (GIC) meeting

Date: February 10, 2018

Time: 8:30 am - 10:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, Room 710

For call-in information, please contact me at weisbel@auburn.edu.

Agenda

  • Webinar plans for teachers/students for National History Day
  • Brainstorm ideas for publicizing Constitution Day.
More...

Discussion GODORT Cataloging Committee meeting

by Andrea Morrison on Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 12:06 am

Date: February 10, 2018

Time: 10:30 am - 11:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, Mile High 4E Room

 

Everyone is welcome to join us at the GODORT Cataloging Committee Meeting at Midwinter! For call-in information, please contact Andrea Morrison, chair, at amorriso@indiana.edu. Here is a summary of our topics. 

Date: February 10, 2018

Time: 10:30 am - 11:00 am

Colorado Convention Center, Mile High 4E Room

 

Everyone is welcome to join us at the GODORT Cataloging Committee Meeting at Midwinter! For call-in information, please contact Andrea Morrison, chair, at amorriso@indiana.edu. Here is a summary of our topics. 

We discuss finalizing our revision of the GODORT Toolbox for Processing and Cataloging Federal Government Documents and starting on the international documents toolbox. We will also discuss ways we can use the new FDLP LibGuides. We will receive cataloging updates from GPO, Marcive, HathiTrust U.S. Documents Registry. Our new business is continuing education: new outreach on government documents cataloging and metadata for non-catalogers!

The full agenda is posted at: http://wikis.ala.org/godort/images/4/4f/2018_Midwinter_Meeting_Agenda_Cataloging_Committee.pdf

More...

Discussion Federal Information Interest Group Discussion at ALA Midwinter

by Shari Laster on Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 09:20 am

Posting on behalf of Justin Otto  

I'm Justin Otto, this year's Interest Group Leader of the GODORT Federal Information Interest Group (FIIG). We're piloting this interest group to provide a forum for the sharing of knowledge regarding U.S. federal government information. FIIG is open to anyone who has an interest in any and all aspects of federal government information.

Posting on behalf of Justin Otto  

I'm Justin Otto, this year's Interest Group Leader of the GODORT Federal Information Interest Group (FIIG). We're piloting this interest group to provide a forum for the sharing of knowledge regarding U.S. federal government information. FIIG is open to anyone who has an interest in any and all aspects of federal government information.

The FIIG discussion topic for ALA Midwinter will be "Using Government Information in Library Instruction". Do you teach instruction sessions which include searching for laws & regulations, unemployment statistics, or something of that nature? Do you want to learn about and discuss instructional strategies for incorporating government information? If so, please join us for the FIIG meeting to share your ideas.

FIIG will be Saturday, February 10th, Colorado Convention Center room 108

More...

Discussion GODORT Steering Committee Meeting Announcement

by Shari Laster on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 05:41 pm

NOTE: Although the scheduler has the meeting starting at 4pm, we will convene at 4:30pm.

 

GODORT Steering Committee

Sunday, February 11, 2018 (4:30 PM - 5:30 PM)

Midwinter 2018 -- Denver, Colorado

Grand Hyatt, Capitol Peak B

Shari Laster, Chair

Renée Bosman, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome & introductions

NOTE: Although the scheduler has the meeting starting at 4pm, we will convene at 4:30pm.

 

GODORT Steering Committee

Sunday, February 11, 2018 (4:30 PM - 5:30 PM)

Midwinter 2018 -- Denver, Colorado

Grand Hyatt, Capitol Peak B

Shari Laster, Chair

Renée Bosman, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome & introductions

  2. Adoption of the agenda

  3. Approval of minutes from 2017 Annual Conference Steering, Steering Committee conference calls, and Steering reflector (posted to the wiki)

  4. Announcements

    1. Deadline for submission of meeting summaries for DttP to Shari: Monday 2/19/2018

    2. Deadline for submission of thank you letters (for event sponsors and committee/task force speakers) to Shari: Wednesday, 2/28/2018

    3. ALA Board Rep (Andrew Pace) will give an update during this meeting

    4. Call for nominations

  5. Treasurer’s Report (posted)

  6. GODORT Councilor report

  7. Task Force/Committee reports (action items only)

    1. Awards

  8. Old business

    1. Conference remodel for Annual 2018

    2. Government Information Online proposal

    3. Website redesign

  9. New business

    1. Fund for Karen Russ Memorial Award

    2. Interest Groups PPM

  10. Adjourn

More...

Discussion GODORT Membership Update Meeting Announcement

by Shari Laster on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 05:39 pm

NOTE: This is the same as what has been called the GODORT Membership Meeting in the past. 

 

GODORT Membership Update

Sunday, February 11, 2018 (3:00 PM - 4:00 PM)

Midwinter 2018 -- Denver, Colorado

Colorado Convention Center, Room 207

Shari Laster, Chair

Renée Bosman, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome and introductions

NOTE: This is the same as what has been called the GODORT Membership Meeting in the past. 

 

GODORT Membership Update

Sunday, February 11, 2018 (3:00 PM - 4:00 PM)

Midwinter 2018 -- Denver, Colorado

Colorado Convention Center, Room 207

Shari Laster, Chair

Renée Bosman, Secretary

 

  1. Welcome and introductions

  2. Adoption of the agenda

  3. Approval of the minutes from Annual 2017 (posted on the wiki)

  4. Announcements

    1. ALA Presidential Candidates

    2. Call for nominations

  5. Treasurer’s report

  6. GODORT Councilor’s report

  7. Task Force/Committee reports (action items only)

  8. Liaison reports (Freedom to Read, IFLA)

  9. Report from the Executive Board/BARC

  10. Old business

    1. Conference remodel for Annual 2018

  11. New business

    1. Website revision

    2. Title 44

  12. Adjourn

More...

Discussion "What is the FDLP?" document now available

by Shari Laster on Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:05 am

GODORT has produced a one-page overview of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) intended to help Congressional members and staff understand the basics of the FDLP and how it serves their constituents.

This document has been provided to the ALA Washington Office for use in National Library Legislative Day and other events.

GODORT has produced a one-page overview of the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) intended to help Congressional members and staff understand the basics of the FDLP and how it serves their constituents.

This document has been provided to the ALA Washington Office for use in National Library Legislative Day and other events.

The overview was developed by Susanne Caro, Sarah Erekson, Bill Sudduth, and Renée Bosman, and is based on an earlier version developed by Jill Vassilakos-Long, Tim Dodge, Bernadine Abbott Hoduski, and others.

Thank you to all who provided input for the original draft and updated version!

More...

Pages

The mission of the Government Documents Round Table (GODORT) is to (1) To provide a forum for discussion of problems, concerns, and for exchange of ideas by librarians working with government documents; (2) to provide a force for initiating and supporting programs to increase availability, use, and bibliographic control of documents; (3) to increase communication between documents librarians and other librarians; (4) to contribute to the extension and improvement of education and training of documents librarians.

Learn more about GODORT on the ALA website.

Subscribe to GODORT (Government Documents Round Table)