Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALSC Board of Directors

Discussion Online Board Meeting 4/19: Designing Youth Spaces White Paper

by Nina Lindsay on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:33 pm

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, which was presented at our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17, in Document R

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, which was presented at our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17, in Document R

As introduced in the document, it has been some time since our last white paper.  Our Executive Director noted a particular request that revealed the need for guidelines on children's spaces in libraries (perhaps similar to YALSA guidelines for teen spaces). I and others on the EC have noted the same need, and feel this is timely, coming on the heels of Past-President Andrew Medlar's presidents' program at Annual conference. The Executive Committee supports this proposal, noting that such a paper should present flexibility for all sizes of libraries, and for all budgets.   

The budget requirements for the proposal as presented in Document R will be presented in the FY18 budget for approval at Annual, as that is the year in which the majority of the costs would fall.   However, the EC recommends authorizing staff to move forward on the proposal immediately, in order to engage consultants.

This topic is open for preliminary discussion. 

 

 

More...
Conference Accessibility Task Force

Discussion CATF Call 12 Minutes

by Lily Sacharow on Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:01 am

Hi everyone, 

Here are the notes from our 4/13 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits. Note the inclusion of potential "umbrella" recommendations categories and subcategories, also listed below. 

Action items highlighted: 

Hi everyone, 

Here are the notes from our 4/13 conference call. Please contact me with any updates or edits. Note the inclusion of potential "umbrella" recommendations categories and subcategories, also listed below. 

Action items highlighted: 

  1. LAST CHANCE to send Melissa names and emails of guest testers by TODAY, 4/14 (2 invitees per person)
  2. Take survey when it is released
    • Notify Melissa and Mike about any clarifications needed for questions, verbiage, or demographics
    • Check for and report any technical glitches encountered
    • Task force members and guests should provide feedback by Friday, 4/21

  3. Mary will send out completed Guidelines document to CATF members by Monday, 5/1

  4. Task force members should review current Best Practices for Presenters page and send suggestions for improvements and potential content to Lily by Monday, 5/1 

 

Draft Recommendations Categories and Subcategories

Category 1: BEFORE (Pre-conference virtual and in-person meeting planning)

  1. Site Visits (1-2 years prior to conference; contract finalizing)
  2. Accommodations and Housing
  3. Conference Center Spaces (room setups overview, conference center spaces, room placement)
  4. Communication with Site Personnel (facilities and fixed spaces, help services, hotline awareness)
  5. Web Accessibility (registration, OnPeak, scheduler, conference app, online environment)
  6. Audiovisual Preparations (procedures for room setups, captioning, accessibility of virtual meeting software)
  7. Exhibits (hall setup, rest areas, vendor awareness and planning, wayfinding & signage, carpeting)
  8. Social Events and Off-Site Locations (individual division and group planning; reservations of accessible off-site spaces)
  9. Presenter Preparations (presentation best practices for accepted proposals; meeting & program planning checklist)

    Category 2: DURING (Coordinating accommodations and addressing concerns on-site)

  1. On-Site Accessibility Services Management (availability and coordination of scooters, interpreters)
  2. Reporting Newly Arising Issues (addressing, troubleshooting, and tracking processes in real time)
  3. Setup and Maintenance for Programs and Exhibits (process for either participants or leaders/vendors reporting and handling issues with a specific event or space, including audiovisuals)
  4. Transportation (addressing transit needs and concerns)
  5. Awareness and Publicity of Reporting Issues (signage; program, site, & app links to hotlines; info booths knowledge)

    Category 3: AFTER (Assessment and evaluation)

  1. Assessment (general needs, purpose, & sustainability)
  2. Surveying Methods (regular follow-up surveys; focus groups; data collection)
  3. Issue Tracking Database (creation, organization, & responsibility; review; maintenance & distribution of relevant info)
  4. Site and Systems Review (accessibility explicitly covered in site-specific decisions meetings immediately after conference; negotiating terms for reusing location)
  5. Improvements to Future Conferences (implementing changes following review; immediate incorporation of feedback into planning for upcoming conferences)
  6. Communication (providing updates, tips, and relevant info to members, leadership, vendors, & other ALA bodies)
More...
ALSC Board of Directors

Discussion Online Board Meeting 4/19: Logo/Rebranding

by Nina Lindsay on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Logo/Rebranding update, which was presented our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17 in Document W.

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Logo/Rebranding update, which was presented our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17 in Document W.

As a reminder, the topic of revisiting our logo, and potentially our entire "brand," was discussed at our Midwinter Board meeting.  The draft minutes express "There was consensus to explore the costs related to using a consultant to drive this work. It was expressed that ALSC should find the dynamism we rediscovered through the strategic planning process and reflect that outward.  ACTION: A. Strittmatter will consult with PLA and RUSA to inquire about their logo and rebranding experiences."   This week's Document W presents that update. 

Since Midwinter, our Marketing Manager Dan Bostrom has moved on from ALSC.  That position will be filled soon, but our new marketing staff person will have a learning curve to the position and the culture of ALSC. The Executive Committee discussed this additional consideration, but felt it was still wise to move forward with an entire rebranding exploration, noting that the costs of just a new logo were significant enough that we should invest in the entire project. Given the turnover in the Marketing Manager, the Board would need to assist with communication to members to ensure engagement from the start of the project. 

The costs for the brand identity consultant as presented in Document W would be presented in the proposed FY18 budget for Board adoption at Annual 2017.  However, the Executive Committee recommends authorizing staff to proceed immediately with engaging a consultant for this project. 

This topic is open for preliminary discussion. 

 

More...
ACRL Framework for Information Literacy Advisory Board

Event Framework Advisory Board April Meeting

by Tish Hayes on Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 07:49 am

amework Advisory Board Meeting 

Monday, April 24, 2017

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PST | 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM MST | 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM CST | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST

 

 

 

ACRL Board of Directors

Poll Do you approve the 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda?

by Allison Payne-IL (staff) on Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 03:10 pm
Yes
100% (4 votes)
No
0% (0 votes)
Abstain
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 4
PLA Board of Directors

Discussion PLA Spring 2017 Board Meeting

by Megan Stewart (staff) on Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 02:19 pm

Public Library Association

Board of Directors Meeting
Spring Meeting
12:30pm-5:00pm, Sunday, April 30, 2017

Meeting Location
ALA Washington Office (1615 New Hampshire Ave NW, 1st Floor, Washington D.C.)

PLA Board of Directors and NLLD 2017 Schedule:

Sunday, April 30, 2017
• Lunch served at 12:00 noon
• PLA Board meeting 12:30pm to 5:00pm
• Board dinner at 6:30pm at Bistro Bis, Kimpton George Hotel, 15 E St NW, Washington, DC 20001, 202/661-2700

Public Library Association

Board of Directors Meeting
Spring Meeting
12:30pm-5:00pm, Sunday, April 30, 2017

Meeting Location
ALA Washington Office (1615 New Hampshire Ave NW, 1st Floor, Washington D.C.)

PLA Board of Directors and NLLD 2017 Schedule:

Sunday, April 30, 2017
• Lunch served at 12:00 noon
• PLA Board meeting 12:30pm to 5:00pm
• Board dinner at 6:30pm at Bistro Bis, Kimpton George Hotel, 15 E St NW, Washington, DC 20001, 202/661-2700

Monday, May 1, 2017
• National Library Legislative Day, 8:00am to 4:20pm, Liaison Hotel, 415 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001, 5:00pm reception at 902 Hart Senate Office Building
• Appointments TBD arranged by Scott and Larra

Tuesday, May 2, 2017
• Meetings with legislators/Congressional offices schedule
• Appointments TBD arranged by Scott and Larra

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Curator, Sonoma County Wine Library (apply by May 8)

by Gwendolyn Prellwitz (staff) on Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:14 pm

CURATOR, WINE LIBRARY,HEALDSBURG REGIONAL LIBRARY FULL-TIME

https://sonomalibrary.org/jobs/scl/open

CURATOR, WINE LIBRARY,HEALDSBURG REGIONAL LIBRARY FULL-TIME

https://sonomalibrary.org/jobs/scl/open

The Sonoma County Library is seeking a customer service driven professional with excellent communication skills and a wine background for its Curator, Sonoma County Wine Library position located in Healdsburg,, CA. The successful leader will bring innovation, a commitment to preserve the region’s wine history and culture, and a problem-solving spirit to the position. The Sonoma County Wine Library is in the heart of the Northern California Wine Country, with plentiful recreational and cultural attractions nearby, ranging from the seashore to the redwoods to bustling San Francisco.

As a special library within a public library setting, the Sonoma County Wine Library serves wine industry professionals, tourists and enthusiasts with aplomb. With collections and services in business and technical resources, rare books portraying the global history of wine, oral histories and archival information detailing the history of wine in the North Coast region, as well as a comprehensive trove of resources spanning every related subject from growing grapes to pairing wine with anything you might think of, the Wine Library is an indispensable resource for historians, wine country tourists, aspiring home winemakers, viticulturists, picking crews, hospitality professionals, and corporate business partners alike.

TO APPLYA formal application is required.  Applications can be obtained from the Library jobs page: http://sonomalibrary.org/sites/default/files/application.pdf. Please send your completed application materials by e-mail to jobapps@sonoma.lib.ca.us or fax to (707) 527-5076, or mail to 211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA  95404. All information must be received by the final filing deadline. Postmarks will not be accepted, nor will unsigned material. Resumes may be included but will not be accepted in lieu of applications. Applicants should include at least the name and contact information for at least one professional and one personal reference.

 

 

Jane Klickman

Administrative Specialist

Sonoma County Library

Central Branch

211 E Street

Santa Rosa, CA 95404

707-545-0831 X1529

Fax: 707-525-9563

jklickman@sonoma.lib.ca.us

More...
RUSA Board of Directors

Discussion Agenda, RUSA Board, 4-28-17

by Susan Hornung-IL (staff) on Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:52 am

RUSA Board meeting
April 28, 2017, Friday, 12 PT / 2 CT / 3 ET
Agenda

1. Roll call, introductions, announcements, changes to/approval of agenda – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Board minutes from April 6, 2017 (forthcoming) - McManus

2. President’s Update – MCMANUS

3. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU

4. RUSA Office Update ?

4. New Business/Action Items:

a. Discussion of Awards-related restructuring recommendations

RUSA Board meeting
April 28, 2017, Friday, 12 PT / 2 CT / 3 ET
Agenda

1. Roll call, introductions, announcements, changes to/approval of agenda – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Board minutes from April 6, 2017 (forthcoming) - McManus

2. President’s Update – MCMANUS

3. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU

4. RUSA Office Update ?

4. New Business/Action Items:

a. Discussion of Awards-related restructuring recommendations

b. Motion to sunset the Organization & Planning Committee effective June 30, 2017.  RUSA Executive Committee proposes to appoint a Restructuring Implementation Task Force comprised mostly of members of the former O&P committee.

c.Discussion of restructuring Recommendation #5 Modify Committees to Address Professional Development

d. Discussion of restructuring Recommendation #7 Develop a new model of Division Review.

e.  Discussion of proposed policy for unfunded awards (revision forthcoming)

6. Board meeting agenda items for next meeting

7. Next board meeting time and date: TBD

 

rev. 4-21-17

More...
ACRL Board of Directors

Discussion Pre-vote discussion: 4/18-4/20 ACRL Legislative Agenda 2017

by Allison Payne-IL (staff) on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 09:38 am

Please note the expedited schedule, as we are looking to have the voting period completed in advance of National Library Legislative Day, which begins May 1, 2017.

The Board is invited to review the Board action form regarding the 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda.

Please use threaded discussions to post feedback regarding the proposed action during the discussion period of Tuesday, April 18 to Thursday, April 20.

Please note the expedited schedule, as we are looking to have the voting period completed in advance of National Library Legislative Day, which begins May 1, 2017.

The Board is invited to review the Board action form regarding the 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda.

Please use threaded discussions to post feedback regarding the proposed action during the discussion period of Tuesday, April 18 to Thursday, April 20.

Following the discussion period, the Board will vote on the 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda via virtual vote during Friday, April 21 to Wednesday, April 26, and confirm its vote at the 2017 Annual Conference.

More...

Pages