Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
Virtual Communities and Libraries

Discussion CVL Metaverse Libraries TOUR of Cybalounge April 30th

by Valerie Hill (non-member) on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 05:40 pm

Cybalounge Library Tour

 

The Community Virtual Library invites you to a Metaverse Libraries tour of Cybalounge.

 

WHEN: Sunday April 30th 12noon SLT (Pacific Time)

 

WHERE:  https://cyba.world/location.html?locationid=800000004&dl=true 

Cybalounge is a web-based virtual world which requires no download.  Simply click on the link to enter Cybalounge.  Choose your avatar and name.

RUSA Board of Directors

Discussion Agenda, RUSA Board, 4-28-17

by Susan Hornung-IL (staff) on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 05:32 pm

RUSA Board meeting
April 28, 2017, Friday, 12 PT / 2 CT / 3 ET
Agenda

1. Roll call, introductions, announcements, changes to/approval of agenda – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Board minutes from April 6, 2017 (attached) - McManus

2. President’s Update – MCMANUS (attached)

3. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU (forthcoming)

4. RUSA Office Update - Wood

5. New Business/Action Items:

1. Review and discussion of RUSA Division Level Restructuring Recommendations (attached)

RUSA Board meeting
April 28, 2017, Friday, 12 PT / 2 CT / 3 ET
Agenda

1. Roll call, introductions, announcements, changes to/approval of agenda – MCMANUS

2. Approval of Board minutes from April 6, 2017 (attached) - McManus

2. President’s Update – MCMANUS (attached)

3. Vice-President’s Update – LE BEAU (forthcoming)

4. RUSA Office Update - Wood

5. New Business/Action Items:

1. Review and discussion of RUSA Division Level Restructuring Recommendations (attached)

a. Discussion of Awards-related restructuring recommendations

b. Motion to sunset the Organization & Planning Committee effective June 30, 2017.  RUSA Executive Committee proposes to appoint a Restructuring Implementation Task Force comprised mostly of members of the former O&P committee.

c.Discussion of restructuring Recommendation #5 Modify Committees to Address Professional Development.    See feedback from S&G (attached).  RUSA Publications & Communications is working on a rationale for continuing the committee (forthcoming).  The P&C MW committee report is attached.

d. Discussion of restructuring Recommendation #7 Develop a new model of Division Review.

2.  Discussion of proposed policy for unfunded awards (attached)

6. Board meeting agenda items for next meeting

RUSA dues increase

Finalize decisions on RUSA restructuring including section representation on the RUSA Board.

7. Next board meeting time and date: June 2017.  Please fill out doodle poll.

 

rev. 4-25-17

More...
ALA Connect Help

Discussion ALA's Opportunities Exchange makes more than 800 assistantships, grants, and scholarships searchable online

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:21 am

We're excited to announce that you can now search the 800+ awards listed in the Financial Assistance for Library & Information Studies (FALIS) Directory in the Opportunities Exchange in ALA Connect.

We're excited to announce that you can now search the 800+ awards listed in the Financial Assistance for Library & Information Studies (FALIS) Directory in the Opportunities Exchange in ALA Connect.

The FALIS Directory is maintained by ALA's Office for Human Resource Development and Recruitment (HRDR). All of the awards can now be searched by type (assistantship, fellowship, scholarship), library type (academic, public, school), education program level (Masters, Doctorate), state, keyword, and more. The Directory is also still available as a PDF.

This effort brings together in one place the more than 800+ FALIS awards with dozens of additional opportunities within the library profession for calls for proposal, equipment, freelance work, giveaways, grants, job exchanges, research surveys, volunteering, and more.

Originally started in 2010 as one of then-ALA President Jim Rettig's initiatives, the Opportunities Exchange was conceived of as a craigslist for the library world. Anyone with an account on ALA Connect can add a new opportunity to the OppEx. Users can also save searches and request email alerts when new opportunities are added that match the interests listed in their Connect profiles.

See the Help section of the Opportunities Exchange for more information about this valuable resource and how you can add an opportunity to the database.

More...
Spectrum & Diversity Scholars Community

Discussion Call for Papers for Discovering Collections, Discovering Communities 2017

by Twanna Hodge on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 04:00 pm

Deadline is April 30, 2017. 
Location: 
United Kingdom
 
 

What: The cultural value of collections and the creative economy

Deadline is April 30, 2017. 
Location: 
United Kingdom
 
 

What: The cultural value of collections and the creative economy

When: Monday, 27th - Wednesday 29th November 2017
Where: The Lowry, Pier 8, Salford Quays, Manchester, M50 3AZ

Summary

Discovering Collections, Discovering Communities (DCDC) is the conference of collaboration between the archive, library, museum and academic sectors. Now in its fifth year, DCDC provides a platform for colleagues to come together in joint conversation, looking beyond their own specialisms to forge new partnerships and enhance the social, cultural and economic impact of our unique collections.

 DCDC17: The cultural value of collections and the creative economy

In today’s uncertain political and economic climate the ability to demonstrate why heritage and culture matter – and to whom - has never been more important or relevant. The ways in which we gather, measure and present evidence of cultural value and impact has attracted increasing attention in recent years, as emphasis has led to a stronger focus on the experience of individuals and of communities. Archives, libraries, museums and heritage organisations across the UK and further afield have played a leading role in this movement. They have actively looked to examine, capture and measure the wider social, cultural and economic impact of their collections, and to engage more effectively with a wider variety of audiences. Work in this area continues to evolve, as does the need for new and better ways of evidencing value and impact through continuing research and the effective sharing of experiences within and between sectors. DCDC17 will consider how, by working collaboratively through networks of inter and crossdisciplinary initiatives, we can continue to improve and develop methodologies in order to build a strong evidence base to demonstrate the cultural value of collections and their contribution to the creative economy.

DCDC17 welcomes proposals on collaborative projects involving library, archive, museum, heritage and cultural sectors in partnership with communities, scholars, education and funders.

For 2017, we would particularly be interested on submissions within the following themes:

• Heritage and the human experience: hidden voices, social cohesion, diversity and public wellbeing.

• The cultural landscape: heritage buildings, regeneration, and engaging audiences with real and imagined environments.

• Curative collections: understanding and reflecting voices in conflict, dissent, displacement, repatriation and recovery.

• New value in old things: opening up collections through original research, heritage science, the internet, and digital technology.

• Collections and enterprise: the challenges and opportunities of utilising collections for revenue generation, managing the relationship between culture and the corporate, and overcoming the hurdles of copyright.

• Innovative interpretations: presenting traditional collections to new audiences through art, design, and performance.

• Measuring value: holistic value frameworks, benchmarking, cultural and academic partnerships, impact, and the REF.

• The politics of collections: advocacy for collections, funding, institutional and community support and investment.

Papers

The conference organisers invite abstracts for the delivery of 20-minute presentations. 10 minutes will be allowed for questions after each presentation. Panels The conference organisers also invite the submission of abstracts for panel proposals. Panels should include three 20-minute papers and include a named panel chair. They can be submitted on any pertinent topic within the conference theme and can include papers relating to an individual project, emerging initiative, or ‘state of the nation’ overview.

Workshops & roundtables

As part of DCDC17 the organisers also welcome proposals for:

• Practical workshops on (but not limited to):

o funding and sustainability

o interactive projects

o education & outreach

• Roundtable sessions by professional networks & societies

All workshops should involve a high level of interactivity and/or training which should be clearly demonstrated in the abstract.

Roundtable sessions should include no more than five speakers speaking for five minutes each. We encourage professional networks and societies to lead on these sessions discussing issues relevant to the conference theme.

Both workshops and roundtables should be open to all conference delegates and require no prior knowledge or preparation.

Submission format

All submissions should be presented in the following format as a word document:

• Name, job title and organisation of speaker/s

• Presentation/panel/workshop title

• A summary of no more than 100 words (this will be printed in the conference programme)

• A more detailed abstract of no more than 300 words

• Any scheduling conflicts for speakers

Contact Info: 

All abstracts should be submitted to both Melanie Cheung (melanie.cheung@rluk.ac.uk) and Laura Tompkins (Laura.Tompkins@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk) by Sunday 30 April. 

Contact Email: 

laura.tompkins@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk

URL: 

http://www.dcdcconference.com/cfp/

More...
ACRL Board of Directors

Poll Do you approve the 2017 ACRL Legislative Agenda?

by Allison Payne-IL (staff) on Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 03:10 pm
Yes
100% (7 votes)
No
0% (0 votes)
Abstain
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 7
ALSC Board of Directors

Discussion Online Board Meeting 4/19: Logo/Rebranding

by Nina Lindsay on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Logo/Rebranding update, which was presented our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17 in Document W.

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Logo/Rebranding update, which was presented our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17 in Document W.

As a reminder, the topic of revisiting our logo, and potentially our entire "brand," was discussed at our Midwinter Board meeting.  The draft minutes express "There was consensus to explore the costs related to using a consultant to drive this work. It was expressed that ALSC should find the dynamism we rediscovered through the strategic planning process and reflect that outward.  ACTION: A. Strittmatter will consult with PLA and RUSA to inquire about their logo and rebranding experiences."   This week's Document W presents that update. 

Since Midwinter, our Marketing Manager Dan Bostrom has moved on from ALSC.  That position will be filled soon, but our new marketing staff person will have a learning curve to the position and the culture of ALSC. The Executive Committee discussed this additional consideration, but felt it was still wise to move forward with an entire rebranding exploration, noting that the costs of just a new logo were significant enough that we should invest in the entire project. Given the turnover in the Marketing Manager, the Board would need to assist with communication to members to ensure engagement from the start of the project. 

The costs for the brand identity consultant as presented in Document W would be presented in the proposed FY18 budget for Board adoption at Annual 2017.  However, the Executive Committee recommends authorizing staff to proceed immediately with engaging a consultant for this project. 

This topic is open for preliminary discussion. 

 

More...
ALSC Board of Directors

Discussion Online Board Meeting 4/19: Designing Youth Spaces White Paper

by Nina Lindsay on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:33 pm

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, which was presented at our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17, in Document R

We have established a quorum and schedule for this meeting at http://connect.ala.org/node/265807

This topic is the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, which was presented at our Executive Committee Meeting on 4/17, in Document R

As introduced in the document, it has been some time since our last white paper.  Our Executive Director noted a particular request that revealed the need for guidelines on children's spaces in libraries (perhaps similar to YALSA guidelines for teen spaces). I and others on the EC have noted the same need, and feel this is timely, coming on the heels of Past-President Andrew Medlar's presidents' program at Annual conference. The Executive Committee supports this proposal, noting that such a paper should present flexibility for all sizes of libraries, and for all budgets.   

The budget requirements for the proposal as presented in Document R will be presented in the FY18 budget for approval at Annual, as that is the year in which the majority of the costs would fall.   However, the EC recommends authorizing staff to move forward on the proposal immediately, in order to engage consultants.

This topic is open for preliminary discussion. 

 

 

More...
ALSC Board of Directors

Discussion Online Board Meeting: Recommendations from Spring Executive Committee Meeting

by Nina Lindsay on Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 04:47 pm

Board colleagues, 

I am calling to order this online meeting of the ALSC Board of Directors.

The topic for this meeting is recommendation for action regarding the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, and the Logo Rebranding proposal, both discussion items from the Executive Committee meeting  om Monday.

Board colleagues, 

I am calling to order this online meeting of the ALSC Board of Directors.

The topic for this meeting is recommendation for action regarding the Designing Youth Spaces White Paper, and the Logo Rebranding proposal, both discussion items from the Executive Committee meeting  om Monday.

To establish a quorum please indicate your presence in a comment below. When we have established quorum I will post discussion for each item simultaneously in separate nodes.

The anticipated schedule for this meeting, assuming both discussions move simultaneously, is:

  • Thursday 4/20 post preliminary Discussion
  • Tuesday 4/25 move and second
  • Wednesday 4/26 - Friday 4/28 voting
More...
ACRL Standards for Libraries in Higher Ed. Review Task Force (Association of College & Research Libraries)

Discussion Seeking Feedback on Draft of Revised Standards for Libraries in Higher Education

by Kara Malenfant-IL (staff) on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:28 am

The ACRL Board of Directors appointed a task force to review and update the Standards for Libraries in Higher Education (SLHE) as announced in ACRL insider on August 9, 2016.  After providing a progress update at an Open Forum at ALA Midwinter 2017, the task force drafted a revision that aims to align with enduring trends in academic libraries.     

The ACRL Board of Directors appointed a task force to review and update the Standards for Libraries in Higher Education (SLHE) as announced in ACRL insider on August 9, 2016.  After providing a progress update at an Open Forum at ALA Midwinter 2017, the task force drafted a revision that aims to align with enduring trends in academic libraries.     

  • Draft of revised Standards for Libraries in Higher Education (PDF attached)
  • Draft of revised Standards for Libraries in Higher Education with changes highlighted (PDF attached)

The task force would also like to enhance the appendices as these are meaningful tools for implementing the standards. While these drafts are currently underway, the task force would like to seek feedback to help with the revision process.

  • Draft of revised Appendix 1 – Sample Outcomes (PDF attached)
  • Draft of revised Appendix 2 – Benchmarking and Peer Comparison (PDF attached)

The task force is requesting your feedback and suggestions.  Please submit comments through the online form no later than Tuesday, May 23. 

You can also provide feedback during a free online open forum Seeking Feedback on Draft of Revised Standards for Libraries in Higher Education on Thursday, May 11, from 1:00 — 2:00 p.m. Central time (11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Pacific | 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Mountain | 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Eastern.  Convert additional time zones online.) Submit your free registration online by May 10, 2017.  Login details will be sent via email the afternoon of May 10.  The webcast will be recorded and made available shortly after the live event.

Questions can be directed to the task force chair, Andrea Falcone at Andrea.Falcone@ucdenver.edu or (303) 352-3953.

More...
AASL ESLS (Educators of School Librarians Section)

Discussion States with Direct School Library Funding

by Debra Kachel on Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 09:38 am

Hello Library Colleagues,

Hello Library Colleagues,

A month or so ago I asked for people to contact me if your state had any type of law or educational regulation requiring that certified school librarians be employed in public schools. As a result I was able to update a 2012 document we had developed as a result of an IMLS grant that also included our PA School Library Impact Study (details at http://paschoollibraryproject.org/home). I am attaching the document, Requirements for School Librarians: A State-by-State Summary if you did not already see it. If there are any corrections or additions, please contact me. I tried my best to verify all the information.

Now, I am moving on to discover which states have direct school library funding (usually based on a per student amount). For example, New York has a “Library Materials Aid” of $6.25 per student which goes directly for school library resources. If your state has this type of funding, please email me with the details and preferably a link to the legislation or statute that mandates it. I will certainly post my final document when finished.

You may ask why in the world I am doing this research. Beside the fact that I really have no life, the legislators who I am working with to pass HB 740 (which will require certified school librarians in every public school) are interested in what other states are doing. I am collecting this evidence for them to hopefully shame our other PA legislators in voting for bills to support school library programs. So, I really appreciate your assistance.

In the June 2017 issue of Teacher Librarian, the article about what other states are doing legislatively will be published. I summarized info from the following states- MA, MO, NV, NJ, NY, PA and WA. 

Again, thanks so much, Deb

Debra E Kachel
Adjunct online professor
Antioch University Seattle
K-12 Library Media Endorsement Program
717-575-3886  dkachel@antioch.edu 
2014 AASL Distinguished Service Recipient
PA School Library Project
Twittter @SchLibAdvocate​

...Advocating for strong school library programs

 

More...

Pages