Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Discussion Bites with LIRT in Chicago, Sat Jan. 31 and Sun Feb 1

by Jennifer Corbin on Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 01:13 pm
in LIRT (Library Instruction Round Table)

Join LIRT for lunch in Chicago!

LIRT (Library Instruction Round Table) is organizing "Bites with LIRT" groups for lunch at moderately priced restaurants during the ALA Midwinter Conference in Chicago. This is your opportunity to meet other librarians interested in library instruction while enjoying lunch in a local restaurant.

LIRT welcomes anyone who has an interest in instruction from all types of libraries. You need not be a member of LIRT to participate.

Join LIRT for lunch in Chicago!

LIRT (Library Instruction Round Table) is organizing "Bites with LIRT" groups for lunch at moderately priced restaurants during the ALA Midwinter Conference in Chicago. This is your opportunity to meet other librarians interested in library instruction while enjoying lunch in a local restaurant.

LIRT welcomes anyone who has an interest in instruction from all types of libraries. You need not be a member of LIRT to participate.

We hope you will join us in this opportunity to exchange ideas and experiences about library instruction in a relaxed setting. Enjoy a stimulating and fun lunch with LIRT -- good food, good company, and interesting conversation. We will make the arrangements; all you have to do is reserve your spot and show up! Please RSVP at http://www.ala.org/lirt/bites-midwinter .

Lunch on Saturday, January 31, 2015 -- 12:00 PM, Tamarind - Asian Fusion -- 614 N. Wabash

Lunch on Sunday, February 1, 2015 -- 11:30 AM, Emerald Loop - Breakfast Buffet -- 216 N. Wabash

 

Look forward to seeing you at Bites with LIRT!

Ken Orenic and Ning Zou, Co-chair, LIRT Membership Committee

More...

File VRT-Minutes--November-2014

by Laura Jenemann on Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 09:26 am
in VRT (Video Round Table)

DOCX File, 16.31 KB

Discussion Agenda for Virtual 2015 Midwinter Meeting (Feb. 9)

by John Jackson on Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:01 pm
in ALA Website Advisory Committee

WAC Members,

Below is the draft agenda for our Virtual Midwinter meeting on Feb. 9 at 11a PST (see previous post). Please let me know of any recommended changes before Feb 2. 

1.0 Introductions (5 min)

1.1 Today’s Goals

WAC Members,

Below is the draft agenda for our Virtual Midwinter meeting on Feb. 9 at 11a PST (see previous post). Please let me know of any recommended changes before Feb 2. 

1.0 Introductions (5 min)

1.1 Today’s Goals

    • To update WAC on actions of the Executive Board and the ITTS group.
    • To review subcommittee rosters and charges (everyone was contacted via email on 1/13).
    • To provide opportunity for members to update committee on web-space-related unit news.
    • To welcome new rep from ASCLA, Nancy Bolt!

1.2 Amendments to Agenda

2.0 Update from Executive Board Liaison Rob Banks (10 min)

3.0 Committee Business (10 min)

3.1 Review/Approval of Nov. 19 minutes

3.2 Announcements

3.3 Follow Up on Action Items

3.4 Update on Subcommittees (link to rosters)

4.0 ITTS Report to WAC (20 min)

5.0 Reports from WAC Members and Units (15 min)

  • Please be ready to (briefly) update WAC on what your unit is doing with its web-space. 
  • Please bring up any questions your unit has about its web-space or Connect-space.

6.0 Other New Business?


 

Our Charge:

  • To develop, review and recommend to council association policies for the ALA website.
  • To recommend editorial or structural guidelines for the ALA website.
  • To provide advice to the ALA executive director responsible for implementing such policies and guidelines.
  • To provide an ongoing channel for member communication by working closely with other units, committees and offices of the association.
  • To make recommendations concerning technical issues or changes to the ALA website, including evaluating, testing and implementing web-based products and services used by association members or by the public.
  • To advise the association on priorities and strategies that promote utilization and continued development of the ALA website.

See more at: http://connect.ala.org/node/231032 

More...

Discussion AASL Student SIG Gathering at ALA Midwinter

by Karla Collins on Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 05:02 pm
in AASL Student Special Interest Group

Let's get together! 

We would like to gather any AASL Student members for an informal meet and greet at ALA Midwinter. 

We will meet anyone who is interested in the Food Court at McCormick Place from 10:00-11:00 on Saturday morning, Jan 31.

Grab a snack from the food court on your way and join other student members. "Experienced" Midwinter attendees will be there to answer any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you!

For more information, you may contact me, Karla Collins, at collinskb@longwood.edu 

 

Let's get together! 

We would like to gather any AASL Student members for an informal meet and greet at ALA Midwinter. 

We will meet anyone who is interested in the Food Court at McCormick Place from 10:00-11:00 on Saturday morning, Jan 31.

Grab a snack from the food court on your way and join other student members. "Experienced" Midwinter attendees will be there to answer any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you!

For more information, you may contact me, Karla Collins, at collinskb@longwood.edu 

 

More...

Online Doc Monthly Meeting Minutes, 2015-Jan

by John Wiggins on Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 08:15 pm
in LLAMA MAES Data Collection for Library Managers Committee

LLAMA-MAES/DCLM

Meeting Minutes

Date: January 12, 2015 12-1pm (ET)

 

Present:

Elizabeth Berman  (2014-2016)

Kate Harger (2014-2016)

Jay Jurek (2014-2016)

Kari Lucas (2014-2016)

Donna Smith (2014-2016)

Connie Strittmatter (2013-2015)

John Wiggins (2014-2016, 2nd term) 

1.  Recorder: Jay Jurek and John Wiggins served as recorders.

LLAMA-MAES/DCLM

Meeting Minutes

Date: January 12, 2015 12-1pm (ET)

 

Present:

Elizabeth Berman  (2014-2016)

Kate Harger (2014-2016)

Jay Jurek (2014-2016)

Kari Lucas (2014-2016)

Donna Smith (2014-2016)

Connie Strittmatter (2013-2015)

John Wiggins (2014-2016, 2nd term) 

1.  Recorder: Jay Jurek and John Wiggins served as recorders.

ACTION:  Kate Harger to act as recorder for the February 2015 meeting.

2.  Roll Call for Minutes

3.  Call for Additional Agenda Items:  No additional items were added.

4.  Approve Minutes: The Meeting Minutes from December were approved without amendment.

5.  Working Group Reports 

5a.  Reviews of Tools

Donna Smith provided an update for this group.  The group continues to explore the idea of creating a list of data collection tools that can be referenced by any interested parties.  In addition to basic information for each tool, this reference will provide information about available options, costs, and, perhaps, user reviews.

The group distributed an email to the MAES list that links to a three-question survey instrument that will help to measure interest in developing such a reference tool and to identify initially any tools recommended by the MAES community.  They are also examining possible technical solutions to making this list available once it has been developed.  A likely starting place is a simple, web-based reference.  The group is also considering whether there are any legal implications to developing an online reference of this kind.

The group expects to obtain feedback through the ALA Midwinter Conference and will plan its next steps accordingly.  Even so, Lisa Horowitz, the current MAES Section leader, has expressed excitement over this project and looks forwarding to finding updates on ALAConnect.

ACTION:  John Wiggins to distribute MAES listserv sign-up instructions to committee to ensure timely communications.

5b.  Data Collection Checklist

On behalf of the working group leader, Jennifer Fuentes-Allred, both Elizabeth Berman and John Wiggins provided today’s report.

This group is still in its preliminary stages of activity.  Consequently, it was questioned whether to defer this work, therefore allowing this group’s members to assist the remaining working groups to produce deliverables or, even, to take on another, new task.  It was noted that several committee members are currently participating in more than one working group and that there are significant areas of overlap between the groups.  There was some concern over spreading human resources too thinly.

ACTION:  Jennifer Fuentes-Allred to make a formal recommendation by the February meeting.

5c.  Statistics

John Wiggins provided the report on behalf of Sarah Naper, the working group’s leader.

This group has enjoyed successful brainstorming sessions for possible topics that would serve as the basis for some kind of informational or instructional output.  They are in the process of scheduling additional meetings and look forward to presenting their refined list of ideas to the full committee in February.  

6.  Summarize Deliverables and Timelines in advance of the ALA Midwinter EC Report

 It was decided to report on the activities of the Reviews of Tools and Statistics working groups. 

ACTION:  Donna Smith, Sarah Naper and John Wiggins will determine rough timelines extending through the fiscal year or through the members’ service year.

7.  Additional Ideas and Future Projects

7a.  Review Repertoire of Ideas on ALAConnect

The committee reviewed the ALAConnect page entitled “Ongoing Ideas for Projects/Initiatives” in order to confirm that this outcome from the December meeting was an acceptable way to capture ideas generated by the committee, guide the committee’s on-going work and to inform future instances of the committee as membership changes.  This evolving document begins with a statement of purpose and process.  It then lists the proposals and the dates when the ideas were generated.  It also includes short descriptions of the project or initiative and identifies any sponsoring or interested committee members.  The newest proposals appear near the top.  

It was agreed that ideas for new projects and initiatives would, for the time, be channeled through committee meetings and then captured on ALAConnect.  Members were strongly encouraged to bring forth ideas, even when they are not fully formed.  Part of the committee’s continuing work will be to revisit this list regularly and to move proposals forward as time and interest permit.

The group then reviewed each listed proposal to ensure accuracy of descriptions provided. 

7b.  Call for Additional Project Ideas

No new proposals were put forward.

8.  Co-chairs and Liaisons

Committee members continued the discussion from last month about the possibility of a liaison-like program to help identify areas of collaboration.  It was noted that AASL, ALSC and YALSA are less complex organizationally than is LLAMA.  On one hand, this fact showed promise that a liaison program would not become onerous.  On the other hand, it is not always easy to determine how to intersect with other ALA divisions as much of their work is not public-facing.

One viable possibility is to build-upon existing relationships, that is, when DCLM committee members are also members of other committees and organizations.  Current members, who are willing, could serve in a liaison role.  Furthermore, cross-committee relationships of this kind could help inform the membership recruiting cycle in a way that creates connections.

It was also noted that Kari Lucas has experience with the LIRT Liaison Committee and that this experience might translate well for DCLM.  There was, however, some concern for taking-on additional tasks at this particular time.

ACTION:  Kari Lucas will draft a one-page proposal offering a charge for a potential liaison program, including objectives, assessment of program, suggestions as to the work of a liaison, and indicators of success. 

9. ALA Midwinter Meeting

There will be no full official meeting at ALA Midwinter, but DCLM members, who are attending the conference and are able to meet, should gather at 9:30 to 10:00 am (not as early as the listed 8:30 am start time).   

ACTION:  John Wiggins to email a sign to Connie Strittmatter, who has agreed to drop it off at our table.  

NEXT MEETING:

FEBRUARY 09, 2015

12:00 TO 1:00 PM (ET)

More...

Online Doc 2015 ALSC Board of Directors' Midwinter Meeting Agenda and Documents

by Aimee Strittmatter-IL (staff) on Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 06:38 pm
in ALSC (Association for Library Service to Children)

Greetings:

Attached you will find the ALSC Board of Directors' Midwinter Meeting agenda and documents.
Meetings are scheduled:

Session I: Saturday, January 31, 1:00-5:30 p.m. Hyatt Regency McCormick- Jackson Park/CC 10D

Session II: Monday, February 2, 1:30 - 5:30 p.m., McCormick Place- W186b

Announcements:

Doc #3b   Center for the Future of Libraries              

Greetings:

Attached you will find the ALSC Board of Directors' Midwinter Meeting agenda and documents.
Meetings are scheduled:

Session I: Saturday, January 31, 1:00-5:30 p.m. Hyatt Regency McCormick- Jackson Park/CC 10D

Session II: Monday, February 2, 1:30 - 5:30 p.m., McCormick Place- W186b

Announcements:

Doc #3b   Center for the Future of Libraries              

Consent Agenda Documents:
Doc #4   Approval of Board minutes from Annual 2014                                
Doc #5   Review of Fall Executive Committee 2014 minutes                        
Doc #6   President’s Report                                            
Doc #7   Vice-President’s Report                                        
Doc #8   Division Councilor’s Report                                    
Doc #9   Emerging Leader’s Report                                    
Doc #10 Executive Director’s Report                                    
Doc #11 Candidate Slate for 2015 Election                                
Doc #12 Continuing Education Report                                        
Doc #13 Communications Report                                            
Doc #14 Membership Report                                            
Doc #15 Projects & Partnerships Report                                        
Doc #16 Publications Report                                            
Doc #17 Web Activities Report                                            
Doc #18 Committee December Quarterly Reports (note: 26 pages, legal size paper)                
Doc #19Confirm Major Board Actions passed electronically                            
Doc #20 Upcoming Meetings and Conferences                                                                

Discussion/Decision

Doc #22b Strategic plan

Doc #23 Digital Media White Paper              

Doc #24 Evolving Carnegie Award Task Force Report

Doc #24a Evolving the Carnegie Award Survey Results

Doc #25 - Executive Session- Confidential Collaborative Partnership Request- Non-disclosure agreement

Doc #26a Review of Existing ALSC Initiatives, Projects and External Relationships

Doc #26b Appendix A: Exam of Initiatives, Projects, and External Relationships

Doc #26c Financial support of self-sustaining one-time projects

Doc #29 Board Conflict of Interest (COI) Policy

Doc #29a Background on COI

Doc #29b ALA Executive Board COI Policy

Doc #30 Diversity Forum Next Steps Preparation

Doc #31ai FY14-15-16 Budget Summary

Doc #31aii FY14-15-16 Budget Summary Narrative

Doc #31aiii Endowments (note multiple tabs at bottom of the workbook)                

Doc #32 Online Continuing Education Strategy Task Force         

More...

Event LLAMA/FRFDS Discussion Group

by Susan Thomas on Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:01 am
in LLAMA FRFDS (Fund Raising and Financial Development Section)

Fundraising and Financial Development Discussion Group (LLAMA-FRFDS)

 

Fundraising and Financial Development Discussion Group (LLAMA-FRFDS)

 

Sat, June 29 04:30 pm 05:30 pm SHER-Sheraton Ballroom 1

 

Do you have ideas about Fundraising?  Questions?  Just want to know more?  Attend the FRFDS Discussion group for a lively discussion on fundraising.  Sample ask letters and experts will be on hand to facilitate the discussion.

More...

Event Collaborative Digitization Interest Group meeting at ALA Mid-winter

by Sandra McIntyre on Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 06:08 pm
in ASCLA Collaborative Digitization Interest Group

 

Collaborative Digitization Interest Group meeting at ALA Mid-winter

Join us for the Collaborative Digitization Interest Group meeting at ALA Mid-winter! We are meeting on Saturday, January 31, 2015, 4:30-5:30 p.m. in McCormick Place W175a. Come hear these presentations about interesting projects by digital collaboratives around the country:

 

Collaborative Digitization Interest Group meeting at ALA Mid-winter

Join us for the Collaborative Digitization Interest Group meeting at ALA Mid-winter! We are meeting on Saturday, January 31, 2015, 4:30-5:30 p.m. in McCormick Place W175a. Come hear these presentations about interesting projects by digital collaboratives around the country:

  1. Current Recommendations from MWDL Geospatial Discovery Task Force
    Liz Woolcott, Digital Discovery Librarian, Utah State University
    Jeremy Myntti, Head, Cataloging and Metadata Services, University of Utah
    Sandra McIntyre, Director, Mountain West Digital Library

    The Mountain West Digital Library’s Geospatial Discovery Task Force convened in 2013 to develop common practices for all MWDL partners in geospatial discovery for digital collections. Thirty-nine contributors from around the country investigated a variety of geospatial controlled vocabularies, compared current metadata practices, and evaluated geospatial tools and interfaces. Sandra, Jeremy, and Liz will share the next steps and recommended best practices for recording geospatial information in the digital library environment.
  2. Getting It Right on Rights
    Amy Rudersdorf, Assistant Content Director, Digital Public Library of America
    Amy will provide a quick update on the Digital Public Library of America’s “Getting It Right on Rights” project. This is a Knight Foundation-funded initiative to develop human friendly and machine actionable rights, licensing, and public domain statements that can be used by cultural heritage organizations to better communicate the status of the materials in their digital collections and open up the possibilities for appropriate sharing of this rich content.
  3. Teaching Digital Collection Building Skills
    Amy Rudersdorf, Assistant Content Director, Digital Public Library of America
    Anna Fahey-Flynn, Collaborative Services Manager, Boston Public Library
    Sandra McIntyre, Director, Mountain West Digital Library
    The Digital Public Library of America’s Public Library Partnerships Project, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, works with four state and regional digital libraries to provide digital skills training for public librarians and connect them sustainably with state and regional resources for digitizing, describing, and exhibiting their cultural heritage content.  In this brief presentation, Amy, Anna, and Sandra will give an overview of this project and its progress. They will describe the collaborative curriculum development and implementation process and share lessons learned so far. For additional information, contact Franky Abbott, PLPP Project Manager, ACLS Public Fellow, at franky@dp.la.
  4. Empire State Digital Network
    Kerri Willette, ESDN Manager
    Empire State Digital Network was announced as a Digital Public Library of America service hub in October 2013. Since then, ESDN staff has been laying the groundwork to aggregate content from seven New York state and regional digital collection projects. Our first scheduled contribution to DPLA is slated for early 2015. ESDN will begin accepting contributions from additional state partners in Spring 2015. 

Please share this information with other colleagues. We hope to see you there!

Collaborative Digitization Interest Group
Sat., Jan. 31, 2015, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
McCormick Place W175a
http://alamw15.ala.org/node/26076

 

Contact information:

Sandra McIntyre
Director, Mountain West Digital Library 
sandra.mcintyre@utah.edu

More...

Event Digital Humanities Interest Group

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 02:44 pm
in ACRL Digital Humanities Interest Group

Conversations between librarians involved with, or sharing interests in, the intersections, partnerships, and collaborations among libraries, librarians, and the digital humanities.

More information about this conference session

Event RSS Library Services to the Spanish Speaking Committee Meeting

by ALAConnect Helpdesk (staff) on Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 05:17 pm
in RUSA RSS Library Services to the Spanish Speaking (Reference Services Section)

Join members of the Library Services to the Spanish Speaking Committee to discuss updating the committee charge and to create goals for the committee.

Current Committee Charge: To improve library services to the Spanish-speaking and Hispanic culture groups at the local and national levels.

More information about this conference session

Pages