Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group

Event Heather Weltin

by Kirk MacLeod on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:54 pm
in IAmRUSA

IAmRUSA Interviewee for the Week of September 1st is

Heather Weltin

Ask her a question!

Online Doc Conference Proposals for ALA Annual due September 1st!

by Laura Jenemann on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 09:40 pm
in VRT (Video Round Table)

VRT is seeking program proposals for the ALA Annual conference in San Francisco, June 25-30, 2015.
 
The program committee welcomes proposals on just about anything related to video and libraries!   
 
If you’re interested in submitting a proposal, please complete the form here by September 1st:
 
http://www.ala.org/vrt/2015-annual-program-proposal-information/

Discussion ALA Committee Report: ALA Conference Committee, 2013-2014

by Mary Ghikas (staff) on Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 05:34 pm
in ALA Conference Committee

Attached, on behalf of 2013-2014 ALA Conference Committee Chair Jan Sanders, is the report on ALA Conference Committee activities in 2013-2014, through the 2014 ALA Annual Conference.

mg

Online Doc LITA Executive Committee Agendas & Minutes, 2007-current

by Mary Taylor on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 02:30 pm
in LITA Executive Committee

Agendas and minutes from LITA Executive Committee Meetings from 2007 through the current year are attached. For douments prior to 2007, please contact the LITA office: lita (at) ala.org.

Online Doc LITA Board Agendas & Minutes: 2007-current

by Mary Taylor on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 02:02 pm
in LITA Board of Directors

Agendas and minutes from LITA Board Meetings from 2007 through the current year are attached. For douments prior to 2007, please contact the LITA office: lita (at) ala.org.

Online Doc Questions to ask on the survey

by Jenny Levine (staff) on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:59 pm
in ALA Connect Survey Subcommittee

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny

I took a first pass at coming up with questions for the Connect user survey, in no particular order. Please edit this document to fix language, add or remove questions, list questions in a different order, etc. There are a couple of similar questions, so we can keep the one we think gives us the best feedback.

We can discuss issues/concerns in the comments.

Once we have a final set of questions, I can create the survey in SurveyMonkey for review. - Jenny


  1. What do you like best about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  2. Which features are most valuable to you?
    [Comment box]
  3. What do you find most frustrating about Connect?
    [Comment box]
  4. The thing I find most confusing about Connect is:
    [Comment box]
  5. If you could change one thing about Connect what would it be and how would you change it?
    [Comment box]
  6. What was the reason for your most recent visit to Connect?
    [Comment box]
  7. Were you able to do what you needed to do on that visit? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  8. Which tools do you use the most on the site? [Checkboxes]
    Calendar Events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussions
    Files
    Follow groups I'm not part of
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  9. Please rate the usefulness of the following features on Connect [Matrix]
    Extremely useful
    Very useful
    Moderately useful
    Slightly useful
    Not at all useful
    Haven't used this feature

    Calendar events
    Chat
    Commenting via email
    Discussion forums - committees, divisions, round tables
    Discussion forums - communities
    Email notifications of new content
    Group subject headings
    Meeting requests
    Member search
    MentorConnect
    Online Docs
    Opportunities Exchange
    Pictures
    Polls
    Uploading files
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:

  10. I'm able to find my groups easily [Agree - Disagree scale]
  11. I'm able to post content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  12. I can find content easily | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  13. The site's navigation makes sense to me | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  14. Connect has helped my group do more work virtually than it used to do. | [Agree - Disagree scale]
  15. I've found useful information on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  16. I've read interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  17. I've participated in interesting discussions on Connect. [Agree - Disagree scale]
  18. How often do you use Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Daily - Weekly - Monthly - Quarterly - Annually - When I need to - Never
  19. How long have you been using Connect? [Radio buttons]
    Less than 1 year - 1-3 years - More than 3 years
  20. How visually appealing is the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    Extremely appealing
    Quite appealing
    Moderately appealing
    Slightly appealing
    Not at all appealing
  21. When using Connect, how often do you find the information that you're looking for? [Radio buttons]
    Always Often Sometimes Rarely Never Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  22. How much do you trust the security of the Connect website? [Radio buttons]
    A great deal of trust
    A lot of trust
    A moderate amount of trust
    A little trust
    No trust at all
  23. What would cause you to use the Connect website more frequently? [Checkboxes]
    I need to understand more about Connect.
    I feel like I need training on how to use Connect.
    If I received email reminders about it from time to time.
    More content available in Connect
    If other members also used it more frequently.
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  24. What is your preferred way to learn about new features in Connect? [Checkboxes]
    Announcement on the site
    Email
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  25. Have the help documents on the site answered a question you had or helped you resolve an issue? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the help documents
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  26. Have you used the contact form on the site and received a satisfactory response/resolution? [Radio buttons]
    Yes
    Partially
    No
    Haven't used the contact form
    Other | If you selected "Other," please specify:
  27. Do you have any other suggestions to improve Connect that you haven't already mentioned?
    [Comment box]
  28. Are you a member of ALA? [Radio buttons]
    Yes - No
  29. If yes, which divisions/round tables are you a member of? [Checkboxes]
    Full list
  30. Please provide your name and email address if you'd like us to follow up with you about your comments or suggestions. [Input boxes]

 

More...

Online Doc September report

by Edith Ching on Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:00 am
in ALSC Notable Children's Books Committee (Association for Library Services to Children)
Reporting Period*: September 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Notable Children's Book Committtee
Reporting Period*: September 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Notable Children's Book Committtee
Priority Group Area *: Book & Media Awards (PGC V)
Current Chair(s)*: Edith Ching
Chair's Email*: ec.notables15@verizon.net
Co-Chair's email (if applicable):  
Incoming Chair (if known):  
Committee/Task Force Members*: Allison Barney,Keary Bramwell,Allison Gray, Chrystal Carr Jeter, Joyce Laiosa, Jennifer Smith, Bettye Loggins-Smith, Dr. Gwen Taylor, Larry Wawro, Bina Williams.
Has the committee recently reviewed its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan? Note: Recommendations should be submitted to Organizations & Bylaws. *: Yes
Work accomplished since last scheduled meeting.*: We have finished our second round of nominations, with balloting at the end of August. Our third round of nominations will occur in late September.
Summarize discussion, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last meeting.*: One of our members wanted to continue the discussion of material we had discussed in our open meetings at mid-winter. Our committee agreed (along with the former chair) that we needed to look ahead and not continue the discussion and ALSC reminded us that such activity did not fit our mandate. It was a good way to clarify our work and to remind us all that we needed to be sure to include the important points about each book at our open formal discussions at Annual.
Please describe the activities or resources the committee has created since the last report that have specifically supported and furthered ALSC’s Strategic Plan? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/stratplan*: We continue to try to look at books across a broad spectrum of topics, from a diverse group of publishers and authors/illustrators, reflecting ALSC's commitment to diversity.
Please list other ALSC committees you think you could collaborate with on issues or projects to help further your work::  
Do you have any suggestions for future education topics, publications, or resources (such as toolkits) to be developed based on the committee’s work? Please be as detailed as possible.:  
If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?:  
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.
For non book and media award chairs- Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms (Award/Notable chairs attend a face-to-face orientation).*: Not applicable (Book or Media Award/Notable chair)
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Not applicable (primarily meet face-to-face)

More...

Discussion Schedule of Future Sites

by Mary Ghikas (staff) on Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 05:51 pm
in ALA Conference Committee

Here is the current schedule of future sites, for your information.  We are showing you both ALA MW and AC and Division Conference sites.  Let me know if you have questions.

For those new to the ALA Conference Committee, sites for MW and AC are approved by the ALA Executive Board.  ALA Conference Services will bring proposed sites to the ALA Conference Committee, as well as the Exhibits Round Table board, for recommendation (or not) to the ALA Executive Board.

Here is the current schedule of future sites, for your information.  We are showing you both ALA MW and AC and Division Conference sites.  Let me know if you have questions.

For those new to the ALA Conference Committee, sites for MW and AC are approved by the ALA Executive Board.  ALA Conference Services will bring proposed sites to the ALA Conference Committee, as well as the Exhibits Round Table board, for recommendation (or not) to the ALA Executive Board.

We are often asked why we select so far in advance.  It has to do with the size and complexity of the site the ALA requires.  We are (still) utilizing about 350 *concurrent* meeting rooms for AC.  That means we require not only a large convention center but hotels with significant "conference" facilities (meeting rooms) at a reasonable distance from the convention center.  We have historically had very minimal flexibility on dates -- looking at holidays, school schedules, other conferences in the library space, etc.  All in all, it's a tricky package to put together -- and the closer we get to the year of a conference, the more likely that one or more critical piece of the package will no longer be available.  So we, like other large conference sponsors, book far in advance and then let other, smaller, conferences, work around us, instead of vice versa. 

One piece of explanation, since you are all coming from different places in ALA:  The ACRL and PLA conferences are spring conferences; the AASL conferences are in the fall.  So the ACRL conference in 2015 will come between ALA MW and ALA AC; the 2015 AASL conference will come between the 2015 ALA AC and the 2016 ALA MW. 

Let me know if you have questions.

mg

More...

Discussion Introductions

by Angela Fortin on Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 02:05 pm
in RUSA RSS Library Service to Aging Population (Reference Services Section)

Please introduce yourself to the group, tell us a bit about your work, and your interest in the committee!

Pages