Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
RUSA STARS International Interlibrary Loan Committee (Sharing and Transforming Access to Resources Section)

Discussion Charge of our Committee:

by Heather Weltin on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 07:47 pm

  • Evaluate trends in international interlibrary loan and resource sharing
  • Develop materials and resources for international interlibrary loan practitioners
  • Sponsors and promotes international interlibrary loan and resource sharing efforts, research projects, training and professional development and liaison opportunities.
METRO Member Librarians

Discussion Save the 92nd St. Y (Buttenweiser)! Join the Facebook cause!

by Stephanie Gross on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 05:51 pm

http://www.facebook.com/n/?group.php&gid=127700011998&mid=c84cfaG3c2fd566Gac48fcG6 

Please join this important cause.  We helped save New York libraries.  Now let's see what we can do to stave off the closing of this 80-year old library.

 Thank you for your support!

 

Stephanie L. Gross, MLS

 

LLAMA Mentoring Committee (Library Leadership & Management Association)

Online Doc Mentoring Committee Minutes 07-12-09

by Reese Evenson on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:33 pm

LLAMA Mentoring Committee Minutes

July 12, 2009

LLAMA Mentoring Committee Minutes

July 12, 2009

ALA Annual Conference

 

Note:  The minutes from first part of meeting were lost due to computer issues.  Lesson learned to save the minutes as the meeting progresses (especially when entering directly into ALA Connect).  May be best to type into a Word document and then paste into Connect.

 

In attendance:

·      Karen Apland, continuing member

·      Kay Bauman, incoming member

·      Elaine Cline, rotating off committee

·      Holly Cole, incoming member

·      Reese Evenson, continuing member

·      Amy Fiske, continuing member

·      Adriana Gonzalez, continuing member

·      Nancy Hershoff, continuing member

·      Katherine O’Claire, incoming member

·      Marie Seymour-Green, rotating off committee

·      Barbara Spears, rotating off committee

·      Neely Tang, Chair, continuing as Chair

·      Jennifer Taxman, continuing member

·      Debbie Tenofsky, rotating off committee

·      De Anza Williams, continuing member

 

 

Orientation was a success!  Many of the duos arrived at orientation together, which suggests they took our advice and made contact prior to the orientation.

 

Discussion on if we should continue to have a reception in the future.  Also, do we open the program up as a general session?  Doing that would add another layer of bureaucracy and because of the timeline required would not be possible for 2010 conference.  It would be something to possibly consider in the future – perhaps a program on “how to create and sustain a formal mentoring program.”  Will discuss this in the future.

 

In regard to the reception, keep in mind that things will continually change because of the way ALA works. The 1:30 time slot seems to work well. If we do it in the evening, people may expect wine and cheese. Lunch slot did create some conflicts in year 1. This year they were given the opportunity to meet for lunch before the program. We can offer that as a suggestion to new duos. If budget is an issue, Nancy will make smoothies at next orientation.  She also offered to bake.  J

 

Tech update: discussed upcoming goals.  We also need to decide if we are going to maintain the wiki, or just switch completely over to ALA Connect.  Do we need to move to Google Groups?  Reese will explore ALA Connect more and see if it can do everything we need it to do.  Also some duos asked about a listserv as a way to communicate successes/problems with other duos.  Reese will look into the “post” function of Connect to see if it can serve that need.

 

Liaison team: defined role as communicators for duos.  Some mentors and mentees didn’t show/need to have a special communication to urge them to connect soon, if they haven’t already.  Next year suggest that mentors and mentees have lunch together prior to orientation.

 

Forms/admin:  We need to update our consent form.  We need to check with Brian – we may have an outdated mode. He suggested changing the wording saying we are sharing their image rather than having control over their image. Are we done with creating/updating all other forms? We do need to talk about how forms get sent back. They are submitted electronically, but info is not put in a database so it makes them difficult to work with the information. The info is put into an excel spreadsheet, but it is clunky to manipulate/view the data. We need to come up with a new system to deal with data. All of the forms/agreements should be deleted or shredded after the program year. Only data to be kept is year of application and names of duos. Survey Monkey also does not give a good results format (ok for surveys, but not for managing duo data). Maybe we want to ask fewer questions to get at the same type of information: Name, contact info, what are you looking for?, are you a member?, type of library (do we need this? – Leadership is leadership). Less information can be more.

 

Duo pairing/recruitment – we have no mentors in our mentor pool. If this one mentor we have does not fill out his paperwork, we need to recruit mentors. We did ask every mentor from last year if they wanted to be a mentor again. We don’t want our mentors to burn out. How do we get more mentors engaged in our program? Duo pairing really needs to be done in the same room. Debbie continued to help with next pairings even though she will not be on the committee next year.

 

Recruitment – Reese and Amy are working on videos that we can put out on the web and on the LLAMA website.  We need to send info out on listservs. Marcia has offered to us as a test case for the LLAMA marketing plan.  We do have info on how many people joined LLAMA to participate in the mentoring program.  We should maybe give a letter to each mentor signed by the LLAMA president so that the mentor had it for their personal/professional file to be used for promotions, etc. as a contribution for the profession. Also, a letter of recognition to committee members would be nice for for professional recognition. Need to continue working on this.

 

Succession/Committee details:  We need to decide how future committee Chairs are selected. How do we pass on info from year to year? Do we want a vice-chair? Vice-chair would serve as Chair the following year. Do we want to continue inviting Emerging Leaders? Combining new and existing committee members works well. We do need a succession plan. Neely will suggest the next chair. Usually the incoming LLAMA president will take recommendations and appoint the next chair. Our committee makes decisions together and it doesn’t seem appropriate to leave it in one person’s hands. Ideas: OK for people to suggest themselves or suggest other people to Neely. Neely will probably make ultimate decision. Maybe have short list of people who are interested in doing it. Maybe have people who are interested in putting together by-laws that lay out the procedures. We also need to put together a handbook for continuity. Use ALA Connect for this? Do we want to make a publication? Think about it if we want to make a publication team. Contact Janine Golden if doing this because she may want to be a part of this project. We could create a publication on library mentoring. Neely: officially, if you are interested in being vice-chair, incoming chair, please contact Neely. Size of committee: are we a good size? How can workload be more balanced? Think about our responsibilities and if we are taking on too much. Overall sense that our committee is a good size and that our large workload needs to be distributed. Look at timeline so that we can see when workload is heavy, you are not on two teams that has heavy workload at same time of year.

 

LLAMA Group Achievement Award: Debbie will accept the award for the committee at the President’s Program today. Where does the physical award go? Neely will follow up with Fred to see if we could get individual certificates. Debbie will send actual award to Neely.

 

Next meeting: second Tuesday of month, 2pm Eastern time.

 

More...
ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries)

Discussion Thanks for visiting!

by Adam Burling (staff) on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:02 pm

Thank you for visiting ACRL in ALA Connect! Check back often to see what’s new!

Explore your other communities. ALA Connect offers a multitude of possibilities for new and existing ACRL communities of practice and has come at a time when circumstances increasingly demand virtual collaboration. We look forward to your feedback and suggestions for how to best integrate this new resource into ACRL.

Thank you for visiting ACRL in ALA Connect! Check back often to see what’s new!

Explore your other communities. ALA Connect offers a multitude of possibilities for new and existing ACRL communities of practice and has come at a time when circumstances increasingly demand virtual collaboration. We look forward to your feedback and suggestions for how to best integrate this new resource into ACRL.

Is this your first time visiting? Check out a list of the ACRL staff profiles at http://connect.ala.org/node/72660 and add them to your network!

Adam

More...
ACRL STS (Science and Technology Section)

Discussion Thanks for visiting!

by Adam Burling (staff) on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:02 pm

Thank you for visiting ACRL in ALA Connect! Check back often to see what’s new!

Explore your other communities. ALA Connect offers a multitude of possibilities for new and existing ACRL communities of practice and has come at a time when circumstances increasingly demand virtual collaboration. We look forward to your feedback and suggestions for how to best integrate this new resource into ACRL.

Thank you for visiting ACRL in ALA Connect! Check back often to see what’s new!

Explore your other communities. ALA Connect offers a multitude of possibilities for new and existing ACRL communities of practice and has come at a time when circumstances increasingly demand virtual collaboration. We look forward to your feedback and suggestions for how to best integrate this new resource into ACRL.

Is this your first time visiting? Check out a list of the ACRL staff profiles at http://connect.ala.org/node/72660 and add them to your network!

Adam

More...
ALA 2015 Environmental Scan

Online Doc Museums & Society 2034: Trends and Potential Futures.

by Karen Muller on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:21 pm

http://aam-us.org/upload/museumssociety2034.pdf

 20 p. report from the Center for the Future of Museums, a think tank associated with the American Association of Museums>

http://aam-us.org/upload/museumssociety2034.pdf

 20 p. report from the Center for the Future of Museums, a think tank associated with the American Association of Museums>

"To address those questions, Reach Advisors
pored over nearly a thousand articles, data sets,
interviews and discussion forums to identify the
trends that are most likely to change U.S. society
and museums during the next 25 years. Our quarry
was the emerging structural changes that are
highly likely to reshape society and highly likely to
affect museums.
Of course, there will be other trends that impact
the future of museums. But some of these trends
might not be apparent yet; others may have a huge
impact on some museums but not a broad crosssection
of the field; others might have profound
impacts on museums if they come to pass, but
the likelihood of that happening is low. This report
focuses on demographic trends, changes in the
geopolitical and economic landscape, shifts in
technology and communications, and the rise of
new cultural expectations."

More...
LITA ALCTS / CaMMS Authority Control Interest Group

Discussion LibraryThing a model of global authority control

by Mary Mastraccio on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:03 pm

LibraryThing provides a model of a global community contributing to bibliographic records and authority control. Tim Spalding, LibraryThing founder, presentation.

LITA ALCTS / CaMMS Authority Control Interest Group

Discussion Global authorities in the local catalog

by Mary Mastraccio on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 01:00 pm

Global authorities are now being implemented in local cataloging systems. Jeanne Spala, Civica/CMI presentation.

LITA ALCTS / CaMMS Authority Control Interest Group

Discussion Cooperative Identities Hub

by Mary Mastraccio on Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Cooperative Identities Hub for Names is an OCLC project. Karen Smith-Yoshimura, OCLC Research, presentation. How open will this Hub be to other groups that want to add to the project or use the data in another environment? Does a participant have to be an OCLC member?

Pages