Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc Committee Charge

by Jennifer B. Young on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 03:22 pm

Charge of the Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee:

Charge of the Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee:

To serve as a forum for discussion of all issues related to the cataloging of continuing resources in all formats.

To identify, discuss, and propose solutions to problems related to the cataloging of continuing resources.

To make recommendations to the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA), MARBI (Machine-Readable Bibliographic Information), and other appropriate bodies on cataloging rules, communication formats, standards, and similar matters, related to the cataloging of continuing resources.

To promote and to serve as a venue for the exchange of information among the Committee, the Library of Congress, the CONSER Program, CC:DA, MARBI, and the continuing resources cataloging community.

To maintain liaison, as appropriate, with other ALA units and with relevant outside agencies having similar interests.

More...
RFID Technology Interest Group (LITA)

Discussion RFID Job Opportunity?

by Radhakrishnan Subramaniam (non-member) on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Hi All,

 

Hi All,

 

I have been scouting around for a long time to find a job opportunity in RFID in Libraries, but unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful so far. If anyone has such an opening or if they can point me in the “right” direction, please let me know. I am willing to relocate, and I would be delighted to send my resume.

 

I have a Masters degree in Library & Information Science together with experience in Reference, Information & Market Research, and recent training in RFID.

 

I look forward to hearing from you.

 

Take care and warm regards,

Ranjit

ambigas@streamyx.com

More...
Guide to Reference

Event Contributing Editors meeting

by Denise Bennett on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:24 pm

1) Meet your Division Editor and your fellow Contributing Editors.

2) Learn more about joining the Guide to Reference Team.

Cataloging Rules

Online Doc Article: Why LC Subject Headings Are More Important Than Ever / by Thomas Mann.

by Jeffrey Beall (non-member) on Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:33 am

Mann, Thomas. 2003. "Why LC Subject Headings Are More Important Than Ever". American Libraries. 34 (9): 52.

ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 2002 Annual Program

by Jennifer B. Young on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 04:47 pm

PROGRAM SUMMARY
Committee to Study Serials Cataloging
Serials Section

Official ALCTS Program
2002 ALA Annual Conference at Atlanta, GA
Monday, June 17, 2002

PROGRAM SUMMARY
Committee to Study Serials Cataloging
Serials Section

Official ALCTS Program
2002 ALA Annual Conference at Atlanta, GA
Monday, June 17, 2002

The program, "Introduction to AACR2 Revised Chapter 12," was held at the American Library Association Conference in Atlanta on June 18, 2002. It was an official ALCTS program, cosponsored by the Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access and the Committee to Study Serials Cataloging.

Speakers:

  • Concepts, Definitions and Serial Descriptive Changes, Jean Hirons, Head of CONSER, Library of Congress, winner of the 2002 Margaret Mann Citation
  • Major/Minor Differences, Regina Reynolds, NSDP, Library of Congress
  • Integrating Resources: Loose-leafs, Rhonda Lawrence, UCLA School of Law Library
  • Integrating Resources: Web-based Resources, Adam Schiff, University of Washington Libraries

The talk by Jean Hirons led off and it covered the general aspects of the rule revisions. She went through the revisions point by point, explaining the new rules, how they differed from past rules, and showed examples of what cataloging would look like with the new rules. One of the major changes is that Chapter 12 will now include more than the traditional serials. This is a change in scope, from a focus on serials (the old chapter title) to a focus on “Continuing Resources,” the new chapter title. The broadening of scope required additional definitions, including definitions for “continuing resources” and “integrating resources.” Accordingly, the new rules will cover works that are serial-like in nature, such as loose-leaf publications that are updated, web-sites which undergo changes over time, publications of limited duration events (such as newsletters of conferences, which were never before considered serials due to the fact that when the conference ended, the newsletter ended), reprints of serials, etc. One result of the new rules is that certain resources will now be cataloged as serials. Even more importantly, under the new rules serials have become one category of a much broader universe called "continuing resources," a universe which includes such integrating resources as updating loose-leafs, databases, and web sites as well as traditional serials.

Other important highlights of the revisions include provisions for and examples in the rules of electronic resources; the rules are more complete, in that they include former LCRI's and CONSER practices; they give more recognition to cataloging from the complete work; the descriptive rules include more provisions for minor changes in title over time and allow more flexibility in cataloging these changes.

Regina Reynolds spoke on major and minor changes. She pointed out that we should no longer speak about "title changes" but speak in terms of major changes, that is, changes which require a new record; and minor changes, those changes which can be handled by notes on the existing record. Much of the time was devoted to a detailed analysis of the various types of title changes and how they will be handled under the new rules. There are some new categories of minor changes with the result that fewer differences in titles that may appear from issue to issue are considered major enough to warrant creating a new record. In other words, look for fewer new serial records being created because of changed titles.

Reynolds outlined all of the major and minor changes but emphasized those which are new. The list of major changes is basically the same with one addition: major change in edition statement, which is in a new RI. This change was made to harmonize with ISBD(CR). A new minor change is that all changes in numbering, even when the numbering sequence repeats, are now considered to be minor. New categories of minor changes to the title proper are: addition, deletion, or change in placement or representation of a corporate body's name; words added to, deleted from, or re-ordered in a list with no significant subject change, and words indicating the type of resource added or dropped from the title proper. Reynolds concluded her talk by emphasizing that the former "if in doubt" clause had been changed to indicate that in case of doubt, changes under the new rules should be considered to be minor.

Rhonda Lawrence (UCLA Law Library) covered “Integrating Resources (Loose-Leafs).” This was a detailed expansion of the Hirons presentation and focused solely on the cataloging of loose-leaf publications, showing how the rule revisions will affect the cataloging of these resources. The people particularly affected are law librarians, as they have many loose-leaf updating publications. In addition to explaining the difficulties inherent in loose-leafs – notably their changing nature – she pointed out some differences from current procedure, including the use of new fields previously used only by serials catalogers (e.g., the 247 & 362). A lot of serial cataloging concepts have been introduced into this formerly monographic cataloging.

Adam Schiff (University of Washington) spoke on the related topic of “Integrating Resources (Web-Based Resources).” He concentrated on the cataloging of web pages that are updated, showing how the concept of seriality affects them and how catalogers will have to account for the changes they undergo. The very nature of web pages has made them very difficult to catalog – they don’t stay the same as monographs do, nor do they behave quite like serials. The new definition of “integrating resources,” now covered by Chapter 12, includes web pages and treats them like a loose-leaf in many ways. His presentation also included those parts of AACR2 Chapter Nine that dealt with the cataloging of remote electronic resources. The presentation discussed specific rules and their application to web resources, citing the differences from Chapter 9 and past practice. His talk clearly showed how much the divisions between serials and monographs have been graying in the library world.

All presenters made a point to state that these changes will become effective on December 1, 2002, and that NO ONE is to change existing records to conform to these rules!

Close to 400 people attended the program, testifying to the high interest the library cataloging community has concerning the new rule revisions.

More...
ALCTS CRS Continuing Resources Cataloging Committee (Continuing Resources Section)

Online Doc 2002 Midwinter Minutes

by Jennifer B. Young on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 04:40 pm

M I N U T E S
Committee to Study Serials Cataloging
ALCTS Serials Section
2002 Midwinter Meeting in New Orleans, LA

Saturday, January 19, 2002, 8 a.m.
ALCTS Serials Section All-Committee Meeting

M I N U T E S
Committee to Study Serials Cataloging
ALCTS Serials Section
2002 Midwinter Meeting in New Orleans, LA

Saturday, January 19, 2002, 8 a.m.
ALCTS Serials Section All-Committee Meeting

I) Announcements:
John Radencich started the meeting by mentioning the upcoming publication of the AACR2 Chapter 12 revisions. John had checked with Charles Wilt, Executive Director of the ALCTS, who said the revisions will be released in July as part of the AACR2 2002 revision. John also talked with Bruce Johnson, of the Library of Congress, who confirmed that these revisions will be incorporated into Cataloger's Desktop around the end of July-early August.

II) ALCTS Pre-Conference in Toronto:
John distributed copies of the ALCTS metadata preconference proposal for the 2003 ALA conference in Toronto (ALCTS Preconference on Knowledge Without Boundaries: Libraries in Collaboration), which the CSSC is co-sponsoring with CC:DA, the National Library of Canada, and others. A question was raised about sponsorship. Is CSSC directly responsible or a co-sponsor with CC:DA and the others? John confirmed that we are only co-sponsoring. John is on the planning committee for this preconference, with Sally Tseng as chair of the planning committee. Much planning has already been done. For a previous preconference on the same subject, before the 2000 Annual in Chicago, CSSC committee members were asked to be transcribers for some of the speakers. Committee members were also asked to distribute materials to the audience. This may also be the case with the 2003 preconference. We will know for sure later this year what our responsibilities will be for the 2003 preconference. John will know more about the preconference on Monday (after the planning meeting)

III) Monday's Meeting of the CSSC
John explained the meeting's format and what people can expect. The topics will be something which attendees should be able to take home and apply immediately. We are also leaving plenty of time for questions. John will make announcements about the AACR2 Chapter 12 revisions and our program for the 2002 Annual Meeting in Atlanta. Announcements will be made at the beginning of the meeting.
The issue of the meeting time of the SS All-Committee meeting (8:00 am on Saturday) was brought up. Most people prefer that the meeting time be Friday evening, as in past conferences. John will mention our concerns to Susan Davis.

IV) CSSC Joint Program with CC:DA at Annual 2002:
Update on our joint program with CC:DA at 2002 Annual in Atlanta: Introduction to AACR2 Revised Chapter 12. This will be part of our normal Monday meeting. We will have the usual LC and CC:DA reports. Following that the actual program (AACR Revised Chapter 12) will begin. Three speakers will present their topics: 1) Jean Hirons (LC-CONSER): Descriptive Changes; 2) Regina Reynolds (LC-NSDP): Major/Minor Changes; 3) Rhonda Lawrence (UCLA): Integrating Resources. The program will begin at 1:30 and run until 5:30.

On Tuesday of this Midwinter conference John has to appear at noon before the ALA Planning Committee to submit the paperwork for this program. He has already sent in requests for A/V equipment for this program (computers, screens, PowerPoint software, etc.) A question was raised concerning the time for this program: why isn't CSSC adjusting this meeting to conform to the usual meeting time of 2-4pm? Since this is a "program" and not a standard meeting, the time slot is different…1:30-5:30. Rules are different for programs. Another question: did we decide this would be a joint meeting with MARBI? John confirmed that the only co-sponsoring body will be CC:DA. Our meeting time traditionally conflicts with MARBI's (Monday afternoons). We may have to address the issue of conflicting times in the future.

V) ALCTS Strategic Plan:
John distributed copies of the ALCTS Strategic Plan. It outlines goals and objectives for the association in coming years. The Serials Section must respond to ALCTS about the Strategic Plan on Sunday of the Midwinter meeting. Various points of the Plan were critiqued and discussed. Revisions of the wording of some of the Plan's objectives were proposed:
Goal 3, Objective 4 (p.2) change "academic colleagues" to "Library/Information Science faculty."
Goal 6, Objective 5 (p.3) wording is ambiguous. Consider revising.

VI) Old/New Business:
Some finer points of Monday's meeting were discussed: location of meeting, availability of refreshments near the meeting room, electrical outlets within the room, etc. Attendance issues at our program for the 2002 Annual were discussed. The meeting is expected to surpass 500 people. John verified that we did request a room that can accommodate 500 people. A question was asked regarding the possibility of turning the revised Chapter 12 program into an ALCTS institute after the conference. John said Charles Wilt raised the possibility and they discussed it with Kristin Lindlan, Chair of CC:DA. Eventually they decided not to pursue the idea. There are enough programs going on addressing that issue (ALA, LC, NASIG), so that an ALCTS institute wasn't deemed necessary.
Lauren Corbett, a candidate for vice-chair/chair-elect of Serials Section, introduced herself to the Committee. She had been circulating among the Serials Section committees and introducing herself. John gave her a synopsis of the Committee's current activities.
No further business was discussed and the meeting adjourned at 9 a.m..

Monday, January 21, 2002
2:00 PM-4:00 PM
Morial Convention Center Room 286-287
New Orleans, LA

I. Welcome and Introduction of CSSC Members: John Radencich (Chair); Everett Allgood (Member); Mary Grenci (Member); David Van Hoy (Member); Jina Wakimoto (Member); Renette Davis (Intern); Craig Dowski (Intern); Rebecca Uhl (Intern).

II. Announcements:

John Radencich (Chair) announced that the AACR2 Revised Chapter 12 will be published as a part of the new 2002 edition of AACR2 to be released July 2002. These revisions will be incorporated into the Library of Congress' Cataloger's Desktop about a month later.

John also announced that the CSSC's regular Monday meeting for 2002 Annual in Atlanta will be an official ALCTS Program on AACR2 Revised Chapter 12. The program will be co-sponsored by CSSC and CC:DA. The program will include the usual CSSC Committee business, including reports from LC and CC:DA. After that three featured speakers will deliver presentations on Revised Chapter 12: Jean Hirons (LC) on the Descriptive changes; Regina Reynolds (LC) on Major/minor changes; 3) Rhonda Lawrence (UCLA) on Integrating resources. The usual CSSC meeting time (2 to 4 p.m.) has been extended to 4 hours: 1:30-5:30. Also, John announced the Committee's co-sponsorship with CC:DA, the Canadian Library Association, and others of an upcoming ALCTS preconference on metadata at Annual 2003 in Toronto.

III. Report from the CC:DA Liaison - Mary Grenci, Serials Cataloger, Library, University of Oregon.

Mary Grenci presented her report from CC:DA. She included only those items of interest to serials catalogers. The full report will eventually be posted on the ALA website.

The Seriality Task Force, which reviewed and commented on the various versions of the new AACR Chapter 12, submitted its final report via email following Annual 2001. Since Chapter 12 is now in the final editorial stages and the content has been agreed upon, this task force was disbanded during the CC:DA meeting for Sat., Jan. 19. One of the issues brought forward by this task force, and others in the serials world, is the use of the term "Oriental" in the newest version of Chapter 12. The JSC has noted the concern of ALA and LC regarding this word, and Matthew Beacom, ALA Representative to the JSC, is working with representatives of the East Asian library community to both define what is meant by the term "Oriental" and to bring forward an acceptable alternative term or terms.

Cynthia Whitacre is the new chair of the Task Force on an Appendix of Major and Minor Changes. This Task Force submitted another revised report (consisting of yet another revision to the Appendix) following Annual 2001. The JSC discussed this latest revision at its meeting last fall and decided that, while many concepts within the Appendix are important and should be retained in AACR, the Appendix itself is not the way to do so. JSC comments about the Appendix include the following: it is unwieldy and difficult to use; many of the specific instructions are now covered in LCRIs and this should continue to be the case, the instructions are too specific and take away cataloger's judgment. At the same time, the JSC feels that Section F.2 (Basic Guidelines on when to create a new record) is extremely important-too important to be relegated to an Appendix-and should be moved to the proposed new introductory, conceptual chapter of AACR.

JSC had not had time to seek constituent comments about the Appendix before its fall meeting. Comments from constituents are now being asked for, but only about the general concepts contained within the Appendix-not about the format and details of the Appendix itself, as the JSC has already decided that it does not want to continue moving forward with the information in this form. The Task Force's work is currently on hold, waiting for these constituent comments and further guidance from JSC. It should be noted that several members of the CC:DA audience expressed disappointment and concern that the JSC was not moving forward with the Appendix, as catalogers were looking forward to the guidance that it was to provide. They felt that providing the general guidelines in AACR will be an improvement over the void we currently have, but also felt that the details within the Appendix would also be useful.

The JSC responded to two other rule revision proposals also brought forward by the Task Force on an Appendix of Major and Minor Changes: the proposed revision of 24.1C, Changes of Name; and, the proposed revision of 1.2B3. Neither proposal was accepted and JSC asked CC:DA to formally withdraw both of them. [Proposal 24.1C has been withdrawn totally-CD]. However, JSC did suggest that the 1.2B3 proposal be incorporated into the charge to a new task force looking at consistency across the various chapters of AACR Part I (see below for more on this new Task Force).

The Task Force on the Review of ISBD-CR completed its work and submitted its final report via email following Annual 2001. Among other things, this report pointed out many inconsistencies across the various ISBD standards. IFLA has formed a working group to look at that issue. The IFLA group will identify the inconsistencies currently in place, work towards making the ISBDs as consistent as possible, and formally note where it feels that continued inconsistency is warranted. The Task Force on the Review of ISBD-CR was disbanded at the meeting of Sat., Jan. 19.

The Task Force on Special Characteristics of Electronic Resources submitted its report to the JSC, but that group has not yet responded to it. The Task Force also met during Midwinter 2002 and reported the results of that meeting at CC:DA on Mon., Jan. 21. Both the Task Force meeting and CC:DA discussion showed a strengthening of support for including Area 5 in records for remote resources (the opposite of what the submitted T.F. report recommends). However, no consensus was reached and no new proposals were brought forward. Matthew Beacom agreed to report this possible alteration of CC:DA opinion to the JSC. The Task Force is currently on hold pending JSC response to the report.

Meanwhile, the JSC has agreed to the proposal to eliminate Area 3 for electronic resources, but did not come to a decision about what to do about putting that information elsewhere in the catalog record. In the hope this will enable it to come to a decision, the JSC is seeking comments from its constituents on two of the options recommended by CC:DA.

At JSC's request, CC:DA is forming a new Task Force to look at inconsistencies across the various chapters of AACR Part I. This group will have a basically editorial charge. It is hoped that the group will include experts on the various chapters. Attendance at ALA will not be required, as the work will be done via email. It is a one-year commitment and CC:DA hopes to be able to cover two areas of the catalog record each year. A sign-up sheet was sent around and the opportunity was mentioned at the Committee to Study Serials Cataloging meeting on Mon., Jan. 21.

The JSC turned down CC:DA's proposal to add to AACR Chapter 9 examples of summary notes for continuing resources. The reason for this is that it wants all examples relating to continuing resources to be in Chapter 12. The JSC did agree to add the one example in CC:DA's proposal that was for a finite web resource and suggested that the examples of continuing resources be resubmitted for addition to Chapter 12. [Note: Immediately following the Midwinter Meeting, Adam Schiff (the author of the original proposal) resubmitted the proposal to CC:DA, renumbering it for inclusion in Chapter 12. It is expected that this revised proposal will go forward to JSC.]

Shirley Lincicum, chair of the Task Force on Uniform Resource Identifiers and AACR2, gave a presentation on Uniform Resource Identifiers, Uniform Resource Numbers, and Uniform Resource Locators at the meeting of Mon., Jan. 21. The Task Force recommends that Uniform Resource Numbers be included in AACR, preferably in the area already set aside for standard numbers.

Mark Watson gave the MARBI report, which included the following information about proposals and discussion papers of interest to the serials community:

  • MARBI Proposal 2002-04: Definition of $p (Number of pieces per issuance) in Fields 853-855 of MARC21 Holdings Format. This proposal, brought forward by the CONSER Task Force on Publication Patterns and Holdings, was for a new subfield "p" to cover cases where multi-part titles are issued in a specified frequency. It allows coding of both when to expect an issue ($w) and how many pieces per issue are expected ($p). This proposal was approved.
  • MARBI Proposal 2002-05: Expansion of Regularity Pattern Coding in Fields 853-855 subfield "y" in the MARC21 Holdings Format. This proposal, also brought forward by the CONSER Task Force on Publication Patterns and Holdings, proposed a number of changes to $y content in order to accommodate regularity of a publication pattern when it is expressed in enumeration as well as to provide a means to designate combinations or ranges of enumeration and/or chronology. It allows for the inclusion of spanned years and spanned enumeration. This proposal was approved.
  • MARBI Proposal No. 2002-06: Changes in Field 008 in the MARC21 Holdings Format. This proposal, brought forward by the Florida College Center for Library Automation, proposes adding codes to field 008/07 to identify additional methods of acquisition and field 008/20 to identify other lending policies. It also proposes to rename field 008/08 to "Subscription End Date." This proposal was tabled for further revision.
  • MARBI Discussion Paper 2002-DP02: Renaming the 008 Positions to Reflect their Content in the MARC21 Bibliographic Format. This paper, brought forward by CONSER and the ALA Map and Geography Round Table, discusses the need to rename specific 008 fields because of new terminology or changes in the scope of the fields. It includes changing the names of the 008 for Books, Serials, Maps and Computer Files. The paper is available at: http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2002/2002-dp02.html. MARBI discussion showed no clear consensus, except possibly to change the 008 for Serials.
    MARBI also suggested having a joint meeting with CC:DA in Atlanta. The topic they are interested in discussing is Tom Delsey's "Functional Analysis of the MARC21 Bibliographic and Holdings Formats," which is available via the MARBI web site. CC:DA agreed it would like a joint meeting, but possibly not until next year.

Finally, according to ALA Editions, the first of the new "annual editions" of AACR will be published in July 2002. These will be loose-leaf editions with fully interfiling pages. A new "edition," incorporating all amendments, will be published annually. In addition, the amendments will be available separately for interfiling in previous "editions." There will be no attempt to keep pagination in sync between the complete "annual editions" and the "editions" kept up-to-date via insertion of amendments pages. Aside from the pagination, however, the various "editions" will be identical. This announcement led to a long discussion, with CC:DA and audience members attempting to explain to Don Chatham, ALA Editions Representative, the confusions inherent in publishing in this way. [Note: CC:DA is now working on a letter voicing concerns over this publishing format for AACR.] On the positive side, AACR's index is being completely redone by a professional indexer.

IV. News and Reports from the Library of Congress, National Serials Data Program, and CONSER - Regina Reynolds, Head, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress.

Regina Reynolds presented news from the Library of Congress, the NSDP, and CONSER.
LC News:
Mail: Do not communicate with LC via the US Postal Service. We had no anthrax cases or even scares, despite being the busiest mailroom on Capitol Hill. However, no mail has been delivered since October 17, affecting receipts of ordered material and CIP, NSDP copyright requests, and bill payments. LC is not a deadbeat. It is making arrangements to receive invoices and pay bills. The offsite mail processing facility will be put into place in a few weeks. It is best to communicate with LC via fax or email at the present time. The backlogged mail will be processed over the course of 7 months after the mail starts coming in again. When it does, we'd best stand back…

Getting ready to implement Voyager 2000 (and Windows 2000); expected date Feb. 15. This will be of great help to check-in as it is more efficient and we need all the efficiencies we can get in check-in. We have been using contract staff to process backlogs of unchecked serials to send to the stacks.

Implementation of Revised Chapter 12 in Sept. 2001: Barbara will discuss this in her presentation.

Because of anticipated losses to the serials inventory project, have plans to hire some catalogers, but AVUE (the new HR hiring system) is a problem. It is being worked on.

Production in cataloging returning to pre-ILS levels, productivity even higher.

There are ongoing efforts to decentralize serials check-in.

Business process re-engineering is currently underway with Copyright Office. Goal is to eliminate some redundancies.

Serials record conversion: The active print serials contract will be completed in February, totaling 53,000 titles. About 3,000 (the hardest ones) remain for LC staff to convert. We are now planning to convert active microfilm entries in the month of March. After the active serials are converted, contract staff is expected to switch over to serials inventory pricing this spring. Rather than convert possibly outdated information on ceased serials, the work will be done in conjunction with an inventory of the LC collection.

LCRI Drafts: LC's plans for the distribution of LCRI drafts for serials, integrating resources, and cartographic materials have changed. The drafts will not be distributed in March for comment by PCC and other libraries, as originally planned, because the completed, revised versions of Chapter 3 and Chapter 12 are not yet available. Potential respondents won't have the revised AACR2 rule text to which each LCRI belongs. In many cases, the content of the rules is very different; in other cases, the content of the LCRI's will not seem to match the rules since the rules have been renumbered or rearranged. The JSC did agree, reluctantly, to allow CPSO to distribute the revised, clean copy of Chapter 12 to the five PCC catalogers involved in the LCRI revision with CPSO. Since then, the JSC has refused other requests for pre-publication distribution. All the same, a September 1 implementation is still being targeted`.

CONSER News:
Most of the past six months have been spent preparing for the publication of the revised AACR2 Chapter 12. Work began on revisions to the CONSER Cataloging Manual and CONSER Editing Guide, scheduled to be published in late 2002. Jean Hirons, Les Hawkins, and others will be developing training for the CONSER/BIBCO, ALA, and NASIG meetings in May and June.

Two new courses are under development for the Serials Cataloging Cooperative Training Program (SCCTP). The Advanced Serials Cataloging Workshop is a two-day course that focuses on original cataloging of serials. It will be released in July. The Electronic Serials Cataloging Workshop is a one-day course that will be released in April. The train-the-trainer session was held this past week and another will be held in Toronto at the end of the month. In addition, the Holdings course is undergoing revision with release of the new version scheduled for June, and the Basic Serials Cataloging Workshop will be revised and reformatted for release in October.

Participants in the CONSER Publication Pattern Initiative set goals for pattern contributions. Diane Hillmann (Cornell) and Ellen Rappaport (Albany Law) developed two documents available on the CONSER pattern web site. One outlines what it means for an ILS to be compliant with the MARC 21 Holdings Format; the other is a statement of functionality for a universal holdings record that was created for OCLC as it continues with its system redesign.
Valerie Bross (UCLA) and Becky Culbertson (UCSD) worked with OCLC to develop specifications for a pilot project for CONSER members to use PURLs in CONSER records.

NSDP News:
ISSN Developments will be covered in Ms. Reynolds' later presentation.

NSDP's new staff (Jean announced at Annual) are settled in and becoming productive members of NSDP. Since the June announcement we have one technician and will be hiring another.

NSDP is preparing a new workflow for implementation this quarter. NSDP publisher requests will be selected for inclusion in the LC collection. NSDP and LC cataloging will be done at the same time. This should result in faster throughput of LC US imprints and will be an efficiency for NSDP.

Biggest and best news is the filling of the Bowker position. As of Tuesday (Jan. 22), Vanessa Mitchell will begin working for Bowker but be in NSDP. She will be simultaneously creating Ulrich's entries and ISSN records based on requests received by NSDP from publishers. She will be "Bowker's eye" on ISSN requests for new titles.

V. Update on ISSN Events - Regina Reynolds, Head, National Serials Data Program, Library of Congress

Regina Reynolds then covered current activities within the ISSN Network. A lot of this information came out of the ISSN Network Directors' Meeting in Switzerland last September.

Broadened scope for ISSN to include:

-loose-leaf publications
-serials
-updating databases
-websites

Because of the scope of this proposal (particularly with updating databases and websites), an approach of exhaustivity/selectivity was recommended. Exhaustivity will remain for serials (as many serials as possible should have ISSNs). Selectivity will be applied to web sites and other integrating resources, at least in the beginning. These are only preliminary thoughts on selectivity. They are not final.
Revision of the ISSN Manual to be in harmony with revised Chapter 12 and ISBD (CR) is moving forward. A draft was sent to the directors in September 2001; most changes were based more on presentation and wording than on content. Decisions were made at the director's meeting. Final draft and decisions will be made at the September 2002 director's meeting (to be held in Zagreb, Croatia)-too late for LC's Sept. 1, 2002, implementation of AACR2 Chapter 12. Hopefully, after that meeting the final revision will be ready for publication by the end of 2002. It may be published first on the Web. Release of a loose-leaf version of the ISSN Manual is also being considered.

Areas of Harmonization: (ISSN Manual/AACR/ISBD(CR))

-scope (harmonized)
-definitions (harmonized)
-rules for title transcription (in progress)
-rules for title changes (in progress…there are some areas where alignment problems have occurred: common title, section title, supplement)

Implementation and interpretation will be a challenge and will take time. There are a lot of dramatic changes to title change rules.
Still unresolved issue: latest vs. successive entry for integrating resources. It's still presenting a challenge for ISSN Network. Successive entry is still being done for serials; integrating resources are presenting a challenge, due to a fundamental conflict in need. Network feels that there should be ONE across-the-board policy of how title changes are handled. The concern is that publishers will never get straight the difference between "integrating resource" and "serial." Harmonizing records is an ultimate goal.

Possible solutions:

  • Wait and see how AACR2 and ISBD (CR) mesh
  • Develop a test database at ISSN International Centre to see how to harmonize. However, this may not be possible.
    Reynolds' Solution: (presented at ISSN Directors' meeting)
  • ISSN Centers will still assign new ISSNs for all changed titles. They will retain successive entry for ALL ISSN assignments. However, they will follow latest entry when creating or updating integrating resource records. New records are to keep in sync with their own national bibliographies when following ISBD(CR).
  • Latest entry records which have new ISSN in MARC field 022 are added as NEW records to ISSN register instead of replacing already existing records in ISSN register.
  • ISSN Centre would create/update latest entry records locally, by adding a new ISSN (field 022), new key title (field 222) and move old ISSN and key title to field 247 when a title change occurs.
  • Records containing new ISSN would be ADDED to ISSN database as new latest entry records rather than replacing existing records.
  • Linking: Use a 247 and also a 785 (successive entry) for integrating resources at national bibliography level, but no 780, since it would repeat 247. Successive entry records would still be created for ISSN International Centre.
  • Assignment of an ISSN to each title change, and one ISSN=one key title principles to be retained.
  • One-way links created in Paris ISSN register (ISSN International Centre) from former ISSN to later ISSN
  • Proposal boils down to: a hybrid between latest and successive entry.

    Implementation requirements for Reynolds' Solution:

  • Field 247 will have to be added to ISSN format
  • A new fixed field code to designate a latest entry record or integrating resource record
  • ISSN database and system modification
  • Development of a program for automatically ceasing the record for title in field 247 and creating a link to the new record
  • Other programming changes?
  • Documenting the new practice in ISSN Manual

    Disadvantages:

  • Special provisions will need to be implemented to process retrospective titles

  • Earlier titles will be represented in both 222 and 247 fields in ISSN database

  • Learning curve will be necessary

    Advantages:

  • One ISSN assignment policy, but cataloging practice harmonized with AACR2 and ISBD(CR)

  • Fewer problems with publishers about changes

  • One ISSN per record

  • One key title per record
    ISST (International Standard Serial Title)
    New goal: international authority file for serial (continuing resource) titles
    Thinking very broadly for continuing resource
    ISSN International Centre coordination

    Many challenges inherent in this undertaking:

  • Construction of internationally accepted qualifier

  • Minimize additional cataloging complexity

  • Database infrastructure and data flows
    Possible cost/benefits study

    Potential new ISSN elements:

  • Numbering field (currently no 362 field)

  • 246 subfield b

  • 260 subfield c for date of publication

  • Date subfield in variant title fields and linking fields

VI Implementing Integrating Resources - Barbara Tillett (Library of Congress), Valerie Bross (UCLA), and John Wright (Brigham Young University)

Dr. Tillett provided an overview on LC's plans for implementing rule changes for integrating resources. Dotted line on handout chart shows items included in Chapter 12 revisions. Integrating resources are NOT serials. A definition of integrating resource: "A bibliographic resource that is added to or changed by means of updates that do not remain discrete and are integrated into the whole. Integrating resources can be finite or continuing. Examples of integrating resources include updating loose-leafs and updating web sites." Definition of iteration: "A specific instance of an integrating resource, either as first published or after it has been updated." Definition of serial has also changed (evident in revised AACR2 Chapter 12): "A continuing resource issued in a succession of discrete parts, usually bearing numbering, that has no predetermined conclusion. Examples of serials include journals, magazines, electronic journals, continuing directories, annual reports, newspapers and monographic series."

At LC, most integrating resources received are updating loose-leafs and updating web sites.

Implementation target for AACR2 Revised Chapter 12: September 1, 2002.

The LC/PCC Advisory Group is currently working on development of LCRI's for Chapter 12, MARC 21 changes, and internal changes for LC and PCC.

Target timetable for implementation of AACR2 amendments:

Jan.-Apr. 2002: LC/PCC Advisory Group
May 2-3: BIBCO & CONSER Operations Meetings
May 6: Final LCRI revisions to Editor
Early summer: ALA publication of AACR2 Amendments package
Mid July/Aug: LC training and in-house briefings for catalogers; LCRI update published
Sept. 1: Implementation of AACR2 Amendments and associated LCRI's.

Chapter 12 LCRI Changes:
The scope of Chapter 12 has been considerably broadened to include both finite and continuing integrating resources. Changes to Chapter 12 reflect U.S. practice, so a lot of LCRI information has been moved to the AACR2 rules. Examples: how to deal with inaccuracies; how to deal with other title information; how to deal with successive designation; other edition notes; etc. A few of the categories formerly treated as monographs will now be treated as serials. This includes items like publications of short duration that have serial characteristics (examples: Cognotes; 3-year expedition reports). Some associated changes go beyond Chapter 12. For example: 21.30J on titles was divided into sections on variant title and on changes in title proper that do not result in a new record. Rule 1.4F8 was modified to include beginning and ending dates for serials, integrating resources, and multipart items. The coverage of Rules 21.2 and 21.3 is being expanded to include "integrating resources." There are also revisions for Chapter 3 (cartographic materials). RI's will be added for these as well.

Basic differences for serials/integrating resources. Main difference stems from "Basis of description", and "Impact of a Change to the Description of an Integrating Resource." Serials are based on first issue, or earliest available. Integrating resources will be based on latest iteration. When a change occurs in an integrating resource, rules will call for keeping the same record, but changing the description and putting earlier information in a note when important.

At LC, there is an unusual practice for non-law loose-leafs. With the exception of loose-leafs sent to the Law Library, other loose-leafs get bound and sent to the stacks without any updating. LC does not have the updates to check when other libraries write to ask for corrections to records. The PCC libraries will play a key role in such updates.

Changes to MARC Bibliographic Format:

Approved changes: Bib lvl (Leader/07): "i" for integrating resources;
S/L Entry (Entry convention: serials 008/34 and 006/17) "2" for integrating resources.

More to come:
247 "Former title"
547 "Former title complexity note"
LC's interim policy: Changes for the MARC Distribution Service (MDS) will be announced in Cataloging Distribution Service notices at least 90-days before implementation.
WHO: Monographic catalogers will continue to catalog integrating resources at LC
WHEN: The LCRI's and changes will be implemented no earlier than September 1, 2002.
WHERE: Work will be done by LC catalogers on the LC ILS; JACKPHY will continue to be done on RLIN.
HOW: These records will continue to be coded as Bib lvl: "m." CDS distributes the records as part of MDS-Books; Integrating resources in the JACKPHY languages will continue to be distributed with JACKPHY records.

Once code "i" is implemented, the "who" will be re-evaluated. The "how" (CDS distribution) is not yet finalized. It is likely that serials and integrating resources coded records will be distributed together. JACKPHY records will be kept as a separate distribution. Updates of non-JACKPHY records will most likely be done on OCLC by CONSER and BIBCO libraries. LC's own ILS will be updated via MDS distribution. Workflow issues are still being worked out.

Exceptions:

WHEN: Once code "i" is adopted
WHO: National Serials Data Program (NSDP)
WHAT: Code as Bib lvl "i"
--Integrating resources for which publishers requested an ISSN before the cataloging was done. Still working on workflow issues here
--Subset of popular subscription databases (to maximize assignment of ISSN and maintenance of bibliographic records). These will be coded as integrating resources (Bib lvl: "i")
WHERE: Catalog on OCLC
HOW: CDS distribution in MDS-Serials: LC's own ILS updated via MDS distribution.
*Final message: these materials are very high maintenance. There is an LC group developing policies and workflow. Information will be disseminated as soon as possible.

Valerie Bross (UCLA) and John Wright (Brigham Young), Co-chairs, PCC Task Group on Implementation of Integrating Resources:

John explained the original charges to the Task Group:

1) Develop various scenarios by which integrating resources are handled by CONSER and/or BIBCO libraries.
1.1) Recommend whether certain types of integrating resources should be handled by CONSER and others by BIBCO.
1.2) Recommend mechanisms to allow for either BIBCO or CONSER libraries to update records for integrating resources prior to adoption of Leader/07, value "i".
1.3) Recommend mechanisms to allow for either BIBCO or CONSER libraries to update records for integrating resources following the adoption of Leader/07, value "i".
2) Recommend appropriate types of and places for documentation relating to integrating resources.
3) Recommend ways in which to meet training needs associated with cataloging integrating resources.
4) Consider the maintenance and distribution issues associated with integrating resources (including loose-leafs) and recommend further action.

NOTE: Final report available at: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/tgintegrfinal.pdf

The Task Group first set up an electronic discussion list exclusively for group members. Then, they put together an interim report document for release at CC:DA meeting last year. Online survey submitted to catalogers July 2001 to collect recommendations to Task Group on how to meet its charges. After survey reports were received, Task Group was split into three subgroups:

1) Training and documentation
2) Maintenance of records
3) Distribution/Redistribution of records

Final report was submitted in October 2001. Valerie was driving force behind Task Group.

Valerie then enumerated the final recommendations:

*Recommended documentation be disseminated in a variety of ways.
*Coordinate training with various agencies in national, regional, and local workshops.
*Efforts be as inclusive as possible; balanced with need to maintain record quality.
*Distribution/redistribution efforts should include integrating resources

Two important points:

1) Recommendations for MARC coding; Bib lvl: "i" interim procedures? No, too complex.
2) Record distribution: Recommended that two new codes for 042 field be developed to differentiate LC/other PCC authentication for Leader Byte/07 (OCLC Bib lvl) "i" records. Group found that record distribution/redistribution to be the most complex issue. The Task Group recommended a short-term solution, but also recommended that a long-term solution be sought.

VII. Implementing Bibliographic Level "i": a Vendor's Perspective-Robert Bremer (OCLC) and Ed Glazier (RLG)

Robert Bremer (OCLC)
Robert Bremer (OCLC) announced that no definite plans are in place so far for implementation of Bib lvl "i" for integrating resources. No definitive answers yet. The usual procedure is: Cataloging Standards Quality Control Area develops a draft proposal for change to MARC format. Documents can become quite large in size. Rich Greene is the likely candidate for this task. Negotiations occur until everyone is satisfied. Implementation a little later wouldn't be so bad. Will OCLC be able to meet implementation date of Sept. 2002? (No.) After document has been approved staff will be assigned to the project and test test test!

MARC changes fall into 3 types:

1) Simple: basically a change to validation rules and documentation: new fields and subfields, easy to implement.
2) Simple but extra work: in addition to validation rules, corresponding change to database itself. Example: deletion of element from the MARC format.
3) Incredibly complex: (example: Enc lvl "4") also Bib lvl "i" is also in this category. Changes to indexing…workforms…editing restrictions…conversion of some existing records…changes to batchload process.

What's involved in some of these changes? Validation rules: test database consists of 3000 or so records, with variable field and fixed field elements. Determine type of data acceptable for each field. Software needs to be modified to accommodate Bib lvl "i". Hopefully conversion can be done automatically to update validation tables. Changes to displays and labels: OCLC is moving to a new interface. There will be some resistance from development staff to make changes to data.

The audience was polled: Should integrating resources be separate? Nobody raised a hand. Grouped with serials? Some people raised hands. Grouping with serials should be easier for OCLC as well. OCLC will probably use the same work form for Integrating Resources and Serials.
Conversion of Existing Records: Mostly, libraries prefer current coding. OCLC will try to identify and convert appropriate bib records to Bib lvl: "i" via database scans. For example, 14,924 type "a" records with open dates exist in WorldCat as of last Thursday (1/17/2002). These could perhaps be converted to Bib lvl: "i". For loose-leafs, things are a little fuzzier. An example was mentioned of loose-leafs cataloged as Bib lvl: "s" rather than Bib lvl: "m". Also, he looked for the term "loose-leaf" in 300 and 500 fields, Type "a", Bib lvl: "m", date status "m" and found 58,000 records.

Another fuzzy issue: there are a lot of records that are coded Bib lvl: "s" and date status: "s", which appears to be an invalid relationship.
Changes to batch-load processing: same criteria as outlined above to change incoming records. Type/Bib lvl value combinations are very important to batch load processing. New algorithms will be developed to include "integrating resources" and all the changes in Type/Bib lvl code values which this implementation will involve.

Ed Glazier (RLG)
The RLG process is very similar to OCLC. We plan to keep current Leader 006 and Leader 007 values as they stand. The first change will be the addition of code "i" for integrating resources to Leader 007 in all files except for the BKS file. RLG prefers to allow for all possibilities.

In the RLIN interface, an initial search result or 5000 or fewer can be qualified using ALSO . Qualifiers include Publication Date, Country of Publication, Language, Location and Material type. In Eureka (the web-based interface to the RLG Union Catalog) users can LIMIT results of 10,000 or fewer with the same qualifiers. Material type qualifiers for ALSO and LIMIT are based on Leader 006 or 007 values, also first byte of the 006 and 007 variable fields. With the MARC updates just implemented, not only are the usual formats material types supported, they also now include kit, remote sensing images, tactile materials.
Integrating resources: Is any existing material type appropriate for integrating resources? If not, what term would be meaningful to librarians and users? These terms are not long-lived enough to have any significant meaning. These terms need to be clarified for the communities that will need to retrieve this type of material.
No formal plan as yet, except to keep integrating resources along with serials as a "material type" qualifier. Another issue: In the RLIN clustered database structure, should a record for integrating resources cluster together with a record for the same item already identified as a serial?

Schedule:

*RLG is waiting for publication of documentation from national cataloging agencies (e.g. publication of MARC 21 Update 2)
*Analysis and specification (both tasks are Ed Glazier's)
*Review and estimates
*Coding and documentation
*Testing
*Installation.

Comments and questions for the speakers were taken from the audience:

Terminology should separate Serials from Integrating Resources. Bremer and Glazier say that local systems (ILS) should be the target of those changes. Also, once again, what EXACTLY is an "integrating resource" needs clarification.

Is there a particular background for the Sept. 2002 deadline? Dr. Tillett: just trying to meet the perceived urgency on the part of the serials cataloging community.

That's why the date is sooner than the utilities (OCLC, RLG) can implement it.

Once the implementation occurs, will the MARC Distribution Service be expanded to include integrating resources? If considered part of the CONSER distribution, then they will be distributed.

Both RLG and OCLC were approached again about "sharing records." Response at this point is that work will be done to make the records available. This doesn't mean that the records will be "shared."

Comment: Length of wait too long for integrating resources changes to be implemented.

John Radencich then closed the meeting by thanking the audience members, thanking the speakers, and reminding everyone about the program next summer at ALA Annual 2002 on AACR2 Revised Chapter 12.

The meeting adjourned at 4:05 PM

Respectfully submitted by Craig A. Dowski, Intern, Committee to Study Serials Cataloging.

More...
Virtual Communities and Libraries

Event Step Up to the Plate @ your library - National Library Week on ALA Island

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 02:48 pm

Megan McFarlane, coordinator for the Campaign for America's Libraries (Second Life avatar, Bunny Iwish), will host a talk on the fourth season of Step Up to the Plate @ your library. McFarlane will be on hand to discuss the 2009 season, which will focus on the history and diversity of America’s national pastime, and to answer questions on promoting the program. Meet Bunny Iwish at the Main Stage on ALA Island (128, 107, 29).

Second Life Users Group

Event Step Up to the Plate @ your library - National Library Week on ALA Island

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 02:48 pm

Megan McFarlane, coordinator for the Campaign for America's Libraries (Second Life avatar, Bunny Iwish), will host a talk on the fourth season of Step Up to the Plate @ your library. McFarlane will be on hand to discuss the 2009 season, which will focus on the history and diversity of America’s national pastime, and to answer questions on promoting the program. Meet Bunny Iwish at the Main Stage on ALA Island (128, 107, 29).

Virtual Communities and Libraries

Event Watchmen Graphic Novel Discussion - National Library Week on ALA Island

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 02:45 pm

Tina Coleman, ALA membership specialist (Second Life avatar, Kay Tairov), will moderate a book discussion of Watchmen. The discussion will focus on the graphic novel and its impact on modern literature and pop culture. Meet Kay Tairov at Banned Books Week Town Square on ALA Island (203, 55, 61).

Second Life Users Group

Event Watchmen Graphic Novel Discussion - National Library Week on ALA Island

by Valerie Hawkins (staff) on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 02:45 pm

Tina Coleman, ALA membership specialist (Second Life avatar, Kay Tairov), will moderate a book discussion of Watchmen. The discussion will focus on the graphic novel and its impact on modern literature and pop culture. Meet Kay Tairov at Banned Books Week Town Square on ALA Island (203, 55, 61).

Pages