Warning message

ALA Connect User logins are disabled for a temporary "gray-out" period, to prevent new posts while we upgrade into the New Connect. This gray-out period will begin on March 26th, and the new site will be launched on April 25th.

Users can use Search to view public content. Logins will be reinstated and users can create new posts, upload files, etc. post launch.

Thank you for your patience in cooperation. Check out training resources and schedule at:
http://www.ala.org/support/alaconnect

Or contact Julianna Kloeppel for training or Pam Akins with questions/concerns.

Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
GODORT Ad Hoc Committee on Communication (Government Documents Round Table)

Discussion Draft minutes available from our final meeting

by John Stevenson on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 01:05 pm

Valerie and I met and compiled minutes for the final meeting, which we will consider approved if no needed changes are identified by July 16th. A report prepared for the GODORT Steering Committee was accepted, so our work is essentially complete.

John Stevenson & Valerie Glenn

 

 

ALA Division Leadership

Discussion ALA Conference Committee notes Annual 2010

by Scott Muir on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 01:02 pm

I am one of the Division Reps to the Conference committee.  I tried to capture the key points and not the entire discussion.  My apologies for any incorrect names in my notes.  I am sure that Mary Ghikas or Deirdre Ross can add to and correct my mistakes here.  I am excluding the notes from ALA council and Executive Board since there are other sources for that information.

 Meeting on Saturday, June 26, 2101

Annual 2010 fast notes

I am one of the Division Reps to the Conference committee.  I tried to capture the key points and not the entire discussion.  My apologies for any incorrect names in my notes.  I am sure that Mary Ghikas or Deirdre Ross can add to and correct my mistakes here.  I am excluding the notes from ALA council and Executive Board since there are other sources for that information.

 Meeting on Saturday, June 26, 2101

Annual 2010 fast notes

  • 24,744 people includes
  • 5800 exhibitors
  • 700 exhibiting companies
  • Used to have about 930+, but mergers have dropped numbers
  • Big companies are buying out big companies, so losing revenue
  • Final report to board on Monday
  • The above does include exhibits ONLY
  • 5 people less than Chicago

Virtual conference

  • Good registration for virtual, July 7-8
  • Big institutions have signed up because they get 15 IPS for $300
  • Full registration to ALA conf also get free access to content, but not interactive
  • Email will go out to tell people how to access, on July 9
  • 176 registered right now, was hoping for 200,  will continue next year
  • Do not think it will impact annual registering, it is a whole different group of people

Poster Sessions

  • Presentation by Jody Fagan, Luke Vielle
  • Accepted about 50%,  took less this year than in the past
  • No real place to post materials on website
  • Issues surrounding it, copyright, access etc, sponsorship
  • No way to measure visitors on site, but seem to get good attendance
  • There are also some division poster sessions
  • Could divisions poster session be include in information, linkages
  • Issue of people submitting to multiple places, and what gets accepted
  • Conf staff will look into this
  • How to put it up digitally.
  • Post session group will explore their desires, this may have been explored before
  • conf staff will explore also
  • Product called Postertrap might be an option

Moving General Session

  • Moving open night from Saturday to 4:00 on Friday
  • Impacts of move of general opening session
  • That will happen in Annual June 2011
  • This year the shift was cutting of Wednesday all together
  • Cutting exhibit floor off on Tuesday
  • Opening exhibit floor on Friday night at annual, used to be only at Midwinter

Opening exhibit event

  • Last night was huge, ran out of food in 45 minutes, used up $15,000 of food
  • Took 25 minutes to get people in

Scholarship bash

  • sold approx 1300 tickets so far,
  •  many more will get bought today
  • Can see museum in boutn90 minutes
  • Dessert and cash bar, price for more food was going to be more expensive
  • All money from tickets of to scholarships

General questions and discussion

  • CPCT, Rhonda Putney
  • Roundtables asked how to develop a program when you have an idea
  • How to find partnerships
  • Reminder time table on web all deadlines in one place
  • Ala conf comm Committee space could work
  • Darleena from ALA staff developed a schedule
  • Use a place in the wiki for sharing information

Issue of tracks

  • Maybe survey about tracks

Assistive technology

  • Simon Healey, guest
  • Issues with exhibits floor, inability to visit independently
  • Most problem are with exhibits floor, not very accessible
  • How to handle conference exhibit floor
  • Passed a motion to add an accessibility member to our committee
  • Will ask Emerging Leaders to work on a solution

Printed program book

  • Trimmed down some
  • Will it continue – yes for now
More...
ALSC Notable Children's Videos (Association for Library Services to Children)

Online Doc 2010 Annual Meeting Post-Conference Report

by Angelique Kopa on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Hello!  Attached is the 2010 Annual Pre-Conference Agenda.  Thanks! Angelique

ALSC Great Web Sites Committee (Association for Library Services to Children)

Event Votes Due

by Meagan Albright on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

Votes due to committee chair by third Friday in July.

LLAMA SASS Circulation / Access Services Committee (Systems and Services Section)

Online Doc Presentation Materials from "Less Train, More Gain" program

by Michelle Batchelor on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

The Powerpoint presentation from "Less Train, More Gain : Using Technology to Train, Maintain and Retain Part-Time and Student Employees"is attached below.

AASL Essential Links Editorial Board

Discussion Current status of category reviews needed to update activity log + Best Websites for Teaching and Learning Connections

by Thomas Adamich on Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hi, Everyone:

...Hope the final days of the school year are going well for all of you.  Please respond either via this forum or e-mail to the following:

1. Please send a status report of what you've edited on the Essential Links wiki so I can add to my Excel spreadsheet log. 

2. Let me know what you think about contacting Stephanie Book and those associated with the Best Websites for Teaching and Learning to extract and cross-promote some of their resources in Essential Links.  Here are the categories of their resources:

Hi, Everyone:

...Hope the final days of the school year are going well for all of you.  Please respond either via this forum or e-mail to the following:

1. Please send a status report of what you've edited on the Essential Links wiki so I can add to my Excel spreadsheet log. 

2. Let me know what you think about contacting Stephanie Book and those associated with the Best Websites for Teaching and Learning to extract and cross-promote some of their resources in Essential Links.  Here are the categories of their resources:

  • Organizing and Managing
  • Content Collaboration
  • Curriculum Sharing
  • Media Sharing
  • Virtual Environments
  • Social Networking and Communication
  • Also, take a look at their press kit: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/guidelinesandstandards/bestlist/bestwebsitespresskit.cfm

    3. Let me know if we need to adjust the timeline on any of the following:

    Goal Dates summaryMarch - Kick off editorial board work, finalize policies and procedures, assign responsibility areasApril - Clean up EL, identify gap areasMay - Finish clean up EL, and send content/link requests on gap areas to appropriate committee chairsAugust - Edit content submissions from committees and post to ELSeptember - Work with Staff to support marketing effort, and continue maintenance of wikiCassandra Barnett promised to facilitate one of the following; I will not be at Annual, so let me know which of the other two options you'd prefer:Fro

    More...
    GODORT (Government Documents Round Table)

    Discussion Numeric and Geospatial Data Services Interest Group (DIG)

    by Lynda Kellam on Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:54 pm

    Here is the link to the Connect space for the Data Interest Group in ACRL: http://connect.ala.org/node/85286 (Amy mentioned this at the General Membership Meeting). Feel free to become a member!

    Also, here is the working space for the Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/digdata   You can request to be added if you are interested in all things data (and geospatial).

    And why wouldn't you be??!!

    ALCTS Organization and Bylaws Committee (Association for Library Collections & Technical Services)

    Online Doc Interest Group Renewal Form

    by Arthur Miller on Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 03:22 pm

    The Basic form to be used by Interest Groups that are up for renewal

    Pages