Latest From All Groups

View:   Faces | List | By Group
GLBTRT Executive Board (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Round Table)

Discussion 2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda and Minutes

by Paul Kelly on Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 08:01 am

2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, February 15th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

2017 February Executive Board Meeting Agenda

Teleconference

 

Wednesday, February 15th, 6:00 pm EST

Dial-in info is as follows: 

Toll Free Number: 866-801-5789

Participant Passcode: 78965432

 

1. Call to Order

Action: None

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No
6
:00 (5m)

Minutes: Called to order at 6 PM with participants: Jennifer Maguire-Wright, Ana Elisa de Campos Salles, Deb Sica, Sherry Machones, Elizabeth DeCoster, and Erin Berman.

 

2. Approval of Agenda and Minutes

Action: Approve agenda for the February 2017 Executive Board meeting. Approval of minutes from the January 2017 Executive Board meeting. (Link: http://connect.ala.org/node/263753

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote:No
6
:05 (5m)

 

3. Treasurer’s Report and Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster

Vote:No

Supporting Information: Liz will provide her monthly update on the Round Table’s finances. Attached are the two pieces for the FY18 budget, a draft budget (spreadsheet) and a Word doc with some description and points for the board to consider.

Links: http://connect.ala.org/files/GLBTRT%20FY%2018%20Budget%20Worksheet.xlsx

http://connect.ala.org/files/How%20to%20read%20GLBTRT%20FY18%20Worksheet.docx

6:20 (15m)

Minutes: We had a rollover of $9,000. Should last us until fiscal year end. 2 folders of financial info in Connect. Caveat: last year Liz was given a worksheet to develop budget, which was not available this year. Joel: can we use the cheat sheet from last year? Liz: that's what she did for FY17. For FY18, we can carry over our endowed funds ($9228). Good news. Endowment has grown considerably over the last few years. Increased anticipated revenue from dues by $800. Deb: Gale might host Emerging Leader project. Revenue reported from social? Non endowment funds. 7$38 in donations at the door. Increase meal budget to $5,000? Is everybody happy with proposed dues increase? David: yes. Membership likely to grow. Liz: growth rate generally 10% per year. Endowment: $9,248. Use $1,000 and roll $8,000 back into the endowment? No objections. Liz: should we vote on the budget over email?

 

4. Understanding Last Year's Budget and Discussion of Next Year's Budget

Action: Update from the Treasurer

Item Facilitator: Liz DeCoster, Ann Symons

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The board will discuss year end results.

2016 Budget: http://connect.ala.org/node/263444

2017 Budget Breakdown: http://connect.ala.org/node/250027 

2017 Budget Worksheet: http://connect.ala.org/node/263442

Treasurer’s Report, Midwinter 2017: http://connect.ala.org/node/263443

2017 Reimbursement Form: http://connect.ala.org/node/263446
6
:25 (5m)

 

5. Charges to the Fundraising Committee

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica, Erin Berman

Vote:No

Supporting Information: The fundraising committee has drafted a fundraising appeal that it would like to send to members. The board will review.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/11jbJhNGsYfhbuSdmK6FdHWorym0Yg15uWIBsP-9JusI/edit
6
:35 (10m)

Minutes: Erin: chair of fundraising committee. Started drawing attention to Emerging Leader, putting more money into that fund. Compiling database of ELs that are GLBTRT members. Emailed Fobazi directly. Doing spotlights on the ELs. Want to send out a new fundraising letter encouraging people to donate to EL instead of just Stonewall. Goal of $10,000. Deb: we should also secure money for Spectrum.  Erin: is a fund established for that? No. David: feedback on email to the listserv. Erin: Gathering info only on people that want to be part of the spotlight, but no pressure to connect.

 

 

6. Bylaws Draft Vote
Action: Discussion and Vote
Item Facilitators: Deb Sica, Gina Persichini

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The Board will discuss the latest updates to the ongoing Bylaws revision process.

6:45 (10m)

Minutes: Bylaws to go up as-is.

 

7. Google Sites Project Discussion

Action: Discussion

Item Facilitator: David Isaak

Vote: No

Supporting Information: At ALA Midwinter, David, Deb, Jen, Ana Elisa, Liz, and Rachael Stein (from the Web Committee) met to discuss RT technical infrastructure and the possible creation of a new RT documentation space using Google Sites 2.0. Please see the attached minutes. Questions for the Executive Board include:

1) Is the creation of a new RT Google Site a project we want to move forward with?

2) Should there be any changes or additions to the action items listed in the minutes from Mid-winter?

6:55 (10m)

Minutes: Board can oversee the Google site in a way they can't with Connect. Role of web committee? Ensuring web access continuity as board members change. Improve handoff between outgoing and incoming chairs. Midwinter action items: Deb should have liaisons reach out to committees to find out which tools like Drive they're using. Jen checking with Bylaws committee. Creating hierarchy in the drive account.  Any questions? Joel: no. Deb: new site or pick apart the old one. Consensus: go with new one! David: motion to have Web committee create Google site to be a repository of RT documentation moving forward. Single spot for the RT. Ana Elisa seconds. Motion passes.

 

8. Emerging Leader Membership to RT

Action: Discussion/Vote

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

Supporting Information: The board will vote upon whether to offer Emerging Leaders complimentary membership to GLBTRT.

7:00 (5m)

Minutes: Our selected Emerging Leader was not actually a member of GLBTRT. What should we do about that? Ana Elisa: we just need to be proactive and check. In future, make sure they are members. David: person we sponsor should be a member for duration of the project. But we don't want to offer refunds if they're already members. Motion that we extend membership retroactively; Sherry seconds. Jen opposed. Motion passes. 

 

 

9. Adjournment

Action: Information

Item Facilitator: Deb Sica

Vote: No

7:05 (end)

More...
ALCTS New Members Interest Group

Discussion ANMIG Article: “Troublesome Catalogers and Metadata Fairies”

by Zachary Stein on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 09:37 pm

Take a look at the article “Troublesome Catalogers and Metadata Fairies” to learn about important aspects of technical services and collections and the evolution of the cataloging from AACR2 to BIBFRAME as well.

The article was written by Victoria Carlson, ANMIG Co-Vice Chair.

VRT (Video Round Table)

Online Doc VRT's Great Lineup of Video-Related Programs at ALA Annual! Early Bird Pricing Ends 3/22!

by Gisele Tanasse on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 08:29 pm

Greetings Film Enthusiasts and Videofreex,

June may seem like a long way off, but ALA Annual in Chicago is right around the corner. In fact, early-bird pricing ends at noon, Wednesday, March 22nd.  Register now and don’t miss these great ALA Video Round Table programs running June 24th-25th:

 

Greetings Film Enthusiasts and Videofreex,

June may seem like a long way off, but ALA Annual in Chicago is right around the corner. In fact, early-bird pricing ends at noon, Wednesday, March 22nd.  Register now and don’t miss these great ALA Video Round Table programs running June 24th-25th:

 

Evening Ticketed Event: 

VRT Gala: Tuned In, Turned On! Videofreex Tape the World

SUNDAY, JUNE 25, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Ticketed Event: Early Bird Member $20; Early Bird Non-Member $25

Join VRT for drinks and hors d'oeuvres followed by a presentation from Abina Manning, Director of Video Data Bank and Curator of a collection of over 1,400 tapes created by members of the Videofreex, one of the country's earliest radical video collectives.  Coincides with the VRT and Cinema Guild co-sponsored "Now Showing @ALA" program screening of the feature length documentary "Here Come the Videofreex!"  For more info:  http://2017.alaannual.org/ticketed-events

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=257947

 

Daytime Programs:

 

Video as Research Data:  Challenges & Solutions in Video Data Preservation

(Co-sponsored by ACRL ANSS, ACRL DCIG and ALCTS Digital Preservation Group)

SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM       

Videos are often taken as a part of scholarly research projects, yet this presents challenges for librarians who advise researchers on federally-mandated data sharing and storage. Participants will learn strategies they can assess against needs at their home institution. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=261261

 

Filming Our Future: Growing a Video Production Niche in the Ak-Chin Indian Community

(LITA Program, co-sponsored by VRT)

SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 1:00 PM - 2:30PM

For the past seven years the Ak-Chin Indian Community Library has found a niche in the community using the power of film and in 2016, the library’s Movie Club program was selected as one of YALSA’s Top Ten Summer Learning Programs. Learn how to make a positive impact in your community using film and creativity. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=257863

 

Community Partnerships and Digital Literacy through Public Service Announcements

(Co-sponsored by PLA, YALSA)

SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM              

Libraries are increasingly finding ways to help their school-age patrons to communicate creatively and make a positive impact in their communities through video projects.  Representatives from the Carson City Library and School District share tips from their experiences helping high school freshmen create 60-second PSAs that raise awareness of social issues at their school. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=261259

 

Rocking the Small Screen (Without Losing Your Mind): Planning and Managing Library Promotional Videos

(Co-sponsored by PLA, ACRL LMOIG)

SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Video on the web is one of today's hottest social networking trends, but what can online videos do to promote your library? A public library and a university library will both share what they have learned and how realistic expectations can bring success. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=261260

 

How Are Our Instructors Truly Using Media? A Multifaceted Approach to Developing Departmental Course Media Use Profiles

SATURDAY, JUNE 24, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM                            

One of the greatest challenges for librarians working with media collections is deeply understanding the use of these materials in course context. This program will describe a multifaceted approach to this challenge that combines mining large corpora of departmental syllabi using NVIVO text analysis software with reserves, survey, and interpersonal correspondence data to build departmental media resource use profiles. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=261258

 

Preservation Showdown: Audiovisual Edition!

(ALCTS Program, co-sponsored by VRT)

SUNDAY, JUNE 25, 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM                            

Two teams will go head to head to debate the statement "The preservation of analog audiovisual media is the single most important preservation issue facing libraries (and archives and museums) in 2017." Teams will include members from the Preservation and Reformatting Section (PARS) and the Video Round Table (VRT), bringing their different perspectives to each side of the issue. Audience members will be expected to ask questions during the debate, and the debate will be followed by an open discussion. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=257918

 

Create, Communicate, Captivate: Inspiring Media Production in Your Library

(Co-sponsored by LITA)

SUNDAY, JUNE 25, 1:00 PM - 2:30PM

Learn how academic, school and public libraries can spark creativity and transform users from passive consumers of media into content creators and active participants in their information environment. Join us as we guide you through key aspects of creating a thriving video production space and coaching users effectively to create amazing multi-modal works which can be showcased to promote and inspire more participation and increase support for high-impact programs. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=260897

 

Distributing Archives: Preservation, Restoration, and Access

(Co-sponsored by AMIA, The Association of Moving Image Archivists)

SUNDAY, JUNE 25, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Panel will discuss organizations acting as both archives and distributors of moving image materials. Attendees will learn about the challenges for media content providers that are also caretakers of their holdings; the difference between preservation and restoration of moving images; and the importance of preserving motion picture film and the projection experience. For more info:

https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/ALA-Annual/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=260895

 

Now Showing @ ALA: Stay Tuned for screening dates and times for four great documentaries!

Agents of Change

Directed by Frank Dawson and Abby Ginzberg, 66 mins, co-sponsor California Newsreel

Here Come the Videofreex

Directed by Jon Nealon & Jenny Raskin, 78 mins, co-sponsor Cinema Guild

Long Story Short

Directed by Natalie Bookchin, 45 mins, co-sponsor Icarus Films

The Brainwashing of My Dad

Directed by Jon Senko, 89 mins, co-sponsor Forward in Time

 

We look forward to seeing you this summer!

VRT 2017 Programming Committee

 

More...
ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee

Discussion DRAFT: Library Bill of Rights Interpretation - Equity, Diversity, Inclusion

by Eleanor Diaz (staff) on Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:57 pm

This is a draft interpretation that attempts to demonstrate how equity, diversity and inclusion are integral to the principles expressed in the Library Bill of Rights. Please share this draft widely. We appreciate any and all feedback on this draft document.

ALCTS

Discussion Reveal your metadata with an ALCTS preconference

by Keri Cascio-IL (staff) on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 03:37 pm

On Friday, June 23, at the 2017 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) brings you “Cataloging and Metadata for the Web: Meeting the User Where They Are.” This all-day preconference (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) will address the skills required to increase libraries’ presence on the open web. Register through the 2017 ALA Annual Conference website. The price to register is: $219 for ALCTS members; $269 ALA for members; $319 for non-members. Event Code: ALC3.

On Friday, June 23, at the 2017 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) brings you “Cataloging and Metadata for the Web: Meeting the User Where They Are.” This all-day preconference (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) will address the skills required to increase libraries’ presence on the open web. Register through the 2017 ALA Annual Conference website. The price to register is: $219 for ALCTS members; $269 ALA for members; $319 for non-members. Event Code: ALC3.

This informative preconference discusses ways in which one can expose library services and content on the open web, meeting library users where they are. A panel of librarians will share their first-hand experiences implementing the concepts and ideas discussed in the Library Technology Report “Improving Web Visibility: Into the Hands of Readers.” This event is intended for professional and paraprofessional cataloging and metadata staff at academic, public and specialty libraries.

This preconference is presented by:

  • Ted Fons, principle consultant, Third Chapter Partners
  • Kenning Arlitsch, dean of the library, Montana State University
  • Sharon Day, director, Branch Services & Collections, Edmonton Public Library
  • Susan Allen, director of technology services, Worthington Libraries
  • Erica Findley, cataloging/metadata librarian, Multnomah County Library
  • Jim Hahn, orientation services & environments librarian, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • Qiang Jin, authority control team leader, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

For questions, contact Julie Reese in the ALCTS Office at jreese@ala.org or 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 5034.

See the ALCTS conference website for information about other ALCTS events, including a preconference on building digital collections at small institutions, as well as an interactive preservation event. 

More...
ALCTS

Discussion ALCTS preconference builds digital collections at small institutions

by Keri Cascio-IL (staff) on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 03:33 pm

On Friday, June 23, at the 2017 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) brings you “Building Successful Digital Programs at Small Institutions.” This all-day preconference (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) will address the skills required to build a sustainable digitization program at your library. Register through the 2017 ALA Annual Conference website. The price to register is: $219 for ALCTS members; $269 ALA for members; $319 for non-members. Event Code: ALC2.

On Friday, June 23, at the 2017 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) brings you “Building Successful Digital Programs at Small Institutions.” This all-day preconference (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.) will address the skills required to build a sustainable digitization program at your library. Register through the 2017 ALA Annual Conference website. The price to register is: $219 for ALCTS members; $269 ALA for members; $319 for non-members. Event Code: ALC2.

Have you wanted to create a digital collection at your institution, but believe you lack the resources and know-how? This preconference is designed to help smaller institutions with limited resources begin or reinvigorate a digitization program that will endure. Four presentationsl focus on each step in the digital lifecycle, including selection, metadata creation, access and digital preservation. This event is intended for smaller institutions that do not have individualized areas of expertise available to help maintain a local digital collections program.

This preconference is presented by:

  • Peggy Griesinger, metadata and cataloging librarian, George Mason University
  • Jaime Schumacher, director, scholarly communications, Northern Illinois University
  • Madeline Sheldon, member representative, Digital Technology Services, LYRASIS
  • Danielle Spalenka, project director, Digital POWRR Project

For questions, contact Julie Reese in the ALCTS Office at jreese@ala.org or 1 (800) 545-2433, ext. 5034.

See the ALCTS conference website for information about other ALCTS events, including a preconference on exposing metadata on the open web, as well as an interactive preservation event. 

More...
ALA Chapter Relations Committee

Discussion Three draft Interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights: Your Feedback Appreciated by May 1

by Donald Wood (staff) on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 02:51 pm

Please review these draft interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights and respond with your suggestions by May 1. The Intellectual Freedom Committee will revise it in light of your suggestions and bring it to Annual Conference in Chicago for your consideration. In addition to offering your own suggestions, please distribute it as widely as possible to others for their input.
 

Please review these draft interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights and respond with your suggestions by May 1. The Intellectual Freedom Committee will revise it in light of your suggestions and bring it to Annual Conference in Chicago for your consideration. In addition to offering your own suggestions, please distribute it as widely as possible to others for their input.
 

Draft Interpretations of the Library Bill of Rights - #1 Equity, Diversity, Inclusion

http://connect.ala.org/node/264431
 

Draft Interpretations of the Library Bill of rights - #2 Politics in Libraries

http://connect.ala.org/node/264432
 

Draft Interpretations of the Library Bill of rights - #3 Visual and Performing Arts in Libraries

http://connect.ala.org/node/264433

More...
ALSC Oral History Committee (Association for Library Services to Children)

Discussion February Quarterly Report Public

by Lisa Von Drasek on Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Posting 

 

Posting 

 

Reporting Period*: February 15
Name of Committee or Task Force*: Oral History Committee
Priority Group Area *: Organizational Support (PGC IV)
Current Chair(s)*: Lisa Von Drasek
Chair's Email*: lvondras@umn.edu
Co-Chair's email (if applicable):  
Incoming Chair (if known):  
Committee/Task Force Members (names only)*: Amy Kellman 

Debra H. Marshall  

Lisa Kim Nowlain 

Ellen Hunter Ruffin 

Ellen Loughran

Ms. Beth L. Gerall  

Mr. Dennis J. LeLoup  

Emily Bredberg

Per the Division Leadership Manual, the committee is expected to annually review its function statement to ensure the charge meets the responsibilities of the priority group area, recent changes to the professional environment, and facilitates the implementation of the ALSC Strategic Plan. When did you last review it with your committee? Note: Recommendations for changes should be submitted to Organization & Bylaws. : February 15 Reporting Period
Summarize work accomplished, decisions reached, and follow-up action needed (objectives, timetable, and assignments) since your last report. Please remember not to include confidential or sensitive information.*: Our committee is at a standstill with regards to our charge. The ALSC office holds the transcripts and recordings to-date. The progress in transcription and dissemination is painfully slow.
We do not have a consensus that the charge needs to be revised to reflect the work of the committee. There are committee member that believe that we should continue to collect from our distinguished members but this is not best practice. There is agreement that the committee should propose that ALSC hire a graduate student on a project basis partnered with a committee member after "emergency" oral history candidates are identified as well as complete the remaining backlog. The chair has agreed and put together a proposed budget for this project. The committee members have commented on-line and we will discuss the revision on the charge on our next phone call.
 :  
   
   
An ALSC core value is collaboration. Please describe collaborations you have initiated or would like to initiate with other ALSC or ALA committees to help further your work. Please list the desired outcomes you envision from this/these collaboration(s). What are the next steps you have set to accomplish this? What assistance do you need in taking this forward?: Our vision is to collaborate with a library school to provide employment and experience for someone on an archivist track
   
   
If you are a virtual committee or task force, what is your primary method for holding meetings or communicating?: Email, Conference calls
When you communicate electronically, how are you preserving the work of the committee for the next committee?*: Saving emails in folder to forward to next chair.
Did you attend or watch the online committee/task force orientation? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms.*: Yes
If you are the chair of a virtual committee/task force, have you reviewed the resources available in the Best Practices for Virtual Committee Work wiki? http://www.ala.org/alsc/aboutalsc/coms*: Yes



 

-- 

Lisa Von Drasek
Curator
Children's Literature Research Collections (CLRC)
University of Minnesota Libraries
Elmer L. Andersen Library Room 113
222 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
 
 
https://www.lib.umn.edu/clrc
 
 
Direct line: 612 624-4817
e-mail: lvondras@umn.edu
 

More...

Pages