AASL ISS (Independent Schools Section) Section
Something for everyone – including the nature lover! Join the AASL Independent Schools Section as they visit Flintridge Prep, an Upper Level Independent School near Pasadena and Los Angeles. Then, tour Polytechnic, a co-ed K-12 independent school, which is also the setting for the television show, “Big Bang Theory.” Finally we will head to the Huntington Library to view their superb collection of books, art and tour their famous gardens.
CHICAGO —The American Library Association (ALA) 2013 Nominating Committee has extended the deadline for applications for anyone interested in being considered for Council candidacy. Any interested ALA members now have until 4:30 p.m. CDT on Sept. 17, 2012 to complete the online biographical information form.
The Nominating Committee must slate no fewer than one-and-one-half times the number of vacancies that will occur on Council. In 2013 there will be 33 vacancies; therefore, the Nominating Committee must slate at least 50 candidates. Individuals elected to the position of Councilor-at-large will serve three-year terms, beginning after the 2013 ALA Annual Conference and ending at the adjournment of the 2016 Annual Conference.
Councilors also serve in corresponding roles in the ALA-Allied Professional Association (ALA-APA). Individuals considering ALA-APA office are encouraged to consult with their employer regarding any restrictions regarding lobbying activities or service on the governing body of a 501(c)6 organization.
Nominations may be sent to any member of the 2013 Nominating Committee. Committee members are:
- Chair: Nancy Davenport, president, Nancy Davenport Associates, Alexandria, Va., email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mario Ascencio, library director, Corcoran Gallery of Art/College of Art + Design, Washington, D.C., email: email@example.com
- Trevor Dawes, circulation services director, Princeton University Library, Princeton, N.J., email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jaime Hammond, reference/serials librarian, Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury, Conn., email: email@example.com
- Ling Hwey Jeng, director, Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Texas, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terri Kirk, School Librarian, Reidland High School, Paducah, Ky., email: Terri.Kirk@mccracken.kyschools.us
- Cynthia Richey, director, Mount Lebanon Public Library, Mount Lebanon, Pa., email: email@example.com
- David Schuster, director of library technology, Texas Women’s University, Denton, Texas, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Williams, dean of libraries, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo., email: James.Williams@Colorado.edu
To encourage diversity and leadership development, the Committee may refrain from nominating any current Councilors for election to another term. However, the Committee encourages all current Councilors who wish to continue their service to the Association to file as petition candidates. Petitions are available from Lois Ann Gregory-Wood, Council Secretariat, ALA, 50 E. Huron, Chicago, IL 60611, email: email@example.com, or during the 2013 Midwinter Meeting. Petitions require 25 signatures for names to be included on the 2013 ballot. Petitions may also be created online (ALA log-in required) . Once logged in you can create your petition.
Contact: JoAnne Kempf